Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ezzer posted:

So reloading my last save after Elizabeth ran away from me for pulling a gun on the ferry ticket guy, just so he can stab me in the hand instead, may have been a bit premature?

Consequences of that moral choice; If he stabs you in the hand, you have a bandage on that hand for the rest of the game. If he doesnt, you do not. That is literally it. I enjoyed the game, but that is probably the choice with the biggest consequence in the game, so dont worry about them for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you shoot the guy Elizabeth will have a frowny face for a couple scenes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, even though there are choices to make occasionally, I literally can't remember any of them having an impact on the story itself. It's a game with a (very good) linear story, your actions don't really affect it in any way.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Any tips for EUIV? I'm pretty familiar with Crusader Kings 2 but the skills don't really translate.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
What should I know before I (continue) play(ing) this game for the first time?

Final Fantasy XIII

I read the wiki, but what I really need to know is if it gets any better. I'm 8+ hours in, Lightning just got her eieidididlodn, and I'm getting pretty loving sick of walking ten feet, getting in a fight, saving, walking ten feet, saving again, plot expostion, walking ten more feet, getting into a fight, etc.

You'd think that being a game where one of your characters has a bird living in his hair it would at least be interesting but there are a lot of things dragging this fucker down at the moment, chiefly among them is the "arrrrrrrrrgh angst" reaching Squall Leonhart levels.

I only paid eight bucks for it, so it's not the end of the world if ya'll tell me to quit and go play Skyrim or something.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

If you don't like the basic gameplay of FF13 by hour 8, you never will. You eventually get to play with your party composition, get all the roles for everyone, fight optional bosses and explore some open plains and corridors in any order you want. Cutscenes per step will drop a bit by then, too. That's like 20+ hours into the game, though.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What should I know before I (continue) play(ing) this game for the first time?

Final Fantasy XIII

I read the wiki, but what I really need to know is if it gets any better. I'm 8+ hours in, Lightning just got her eieidididlodn, and I'm getting pretty loving sick of walking ten feet, getting in a fight, saving, walking ten feet, saving again, plot expostion, walking ten more feet, getting into a fight, etc.

You'd think that being a game where one of your characters has a bird living in his hair it would at least be interesting but there are a lot of things dragging this fucker down at the moment, chiefly among them is the "arrrrrrrrrgh angst" reaching Squall Leonhart levels.

I only paid eight bucks for it, so it's not the end of the world if ya'll tell me to quit and go play Skyrim or something.

XIII-2 is a much better game, so don't let this one scare you off

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SaxMaverick posted:

XIII-2 is a much better game, so don't let this one scare you off

13-2 is a much better game if and only if there is a very specific set of things that you thought were "wrong" about 13. Seeing as he's complaining about the combat and the characters, it's safe to say that 13-2 does not address either of his complaints.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

Artix posted:

13-2 is a much better game if and only if there is a very specific set of things that you thought were "wrong" about 13. Seeing as he's complaining about the combat and the characters, it's safe to say that 13-2 does not address either of his complaints.

He didn't say anything about combat, and it is better in the sequel anyway. And the characters aren't necessarily better, but there are less of them. Hell the story isn't even necessarily that great, but again, still an improvement.

Either way, xiii-2 is simply more fun to play, and I think it's worth a shot

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I really dig the combat. I think the potential of the paradigm system is what's keeping me going at this point (it's sure as hell not the plot). I just wish dad would take the training wheels off and let me out of the driveway already. It's been almost ten hours and I still feel like I'm being led by the hand. I get it, game, paradigms are different and everyone's roles in combat change and you have to figure out what is best for you at any given moment. Fantastic. Now, let me do it on my own and quit trying to cram it down my throat by forcing me to work with certain combinations of characters/paradigms.

Currently irritating me:
  • ANGST
  • Vanille's "accent"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I really dig the combat. I think the potential of the paradigm system is what's keeping me going at this point (it's sure as hell not the plot). I just wish dad would take the training wheels off and let me out of the driveway already. It's been almost ten hours and I still feel like I'm being led by the hand. I get it, game, paradigms are different and everyone's roles in combat change and you have to figure out what is best for you at any given moment. Fantastic. Now, let me do it on my own and quit trying to cram it down my throat by forcing me to work with certain combinations of characters/paradigms.

Currently irritating me:
  • ANGST
  • Vanille's "accent"

It will not change. When the training wheels do come off so to speak its about 20 hours in and the plot collapses entirely so you're left with absolutely no motivation. Grinding for endgame weapons/levels is an exercise in absolute tedium so I hope you're excited for that.

XIII-2 fixes this sort of by letting you do everything from the start. It unfortunately has no level gating so if you do even a moderate amount of sidequests you will blow apart any challenge the game might have ever held and your 3rd party member is a monster so expect to catch and grind a ton of them or just get the DLC and never upgrade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Currently irritating me:
  • ANGST
  • Vanille's "accent"

What you see is what you're getting for about another ten to twenty hours. Then you get a slightly wider corridor to run around in and the ability to shuffle your party members and paradigms at-will. So good luck with that :v:. The ANGST and Vanille's accent aren't going anywhere either.

My favourite little :wtc: in FFXIII will forever be Lightning watching Hope talk about wanting to kill Snow and then not only proceed to give him a loving knife, but also encourage him to do it.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Ezzer posted:

What should I know about Bioshock Infinite's god-damned moral choice bullshit? They decided to make the consequences of your actions far less transparent in this one and I'm caught wondering if it's gonna be one of those deals where unless I go fully goody-two-shoes or fully drowning-orphaned-kittens-for-fun then I'm locked out of an ending/some end-game content.

For real though, I wanna know if stealing that prototype heater shotgun is gonna come back to bite me in the rear end or not :v:

Stealing the Heater sets the guards off against you, and the heater only comes with one clip so it isn't worth the hassle.
Not pulling your gun on the ticket guy gets you stabbed in the hand which Elizabeth bandages for you, though the bandage sometimes doesn't appear and sometimes does in later scenes.
Pulling your gun on the ticket guy doesn't really do much at all other than not making you need the appearing/disappearing bandage, since Elizabeth freaks out at you killing the other guys anyway.
The other choices like which piece of jewelry you choose makes no difference, though sometimes the brooch(?) changes when you go into other dimensions.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Any tips for EUIV? I'm pretty familiar with Crusader Kings 2 but the skills don't really translate.

Bit much to the game to hit all the points, but in the spirit of non-obvious stuff that you'll want to know:

- Trade is obtuse, but the basic idea is to use merchants to forward trade from upstream to your capitol node (or some other node you are collecting trade in). Each node in the upstream chain gets a multiplier for forwarded trade, so having a lot of trade power in a series of linked nodes, and forwarding it all means you invent money out of thin air, and it adds up. The default setup for most countries works well enough, so until you want to play with it, you can just leave it like that and forget about it entirely.

- Setting a rival makes it cheaper to demand stuff from them in peace deals, makes your spies (f.inst. diplomats fabricating claims) harder to detect, and will earn you an "Enemy of Enemy" relation bonus with their other rivals (+1/month up to +20). They will of course hate you for it.

- The "Better relations over time" advisor not only make improving relations faster, it importantly also makes negative penalties that decay, decay that much faster (such as "aggressive expansion" from grabbing a lot of provinces quickly). On the topic of AE: Be careful with it. It stacks up quick and can take a long time to go away again.

- Admin power is probably the most valuable of the three types, since it is used to unlock idea groups and increase stability.

- When choosing idea groups, be aware that you need more points to unlock the sub-ideas. Try to pick a category where you will have points to spare. It is, generally, a poor choice to pick a Military group as your first pick, since you gain much more by just straight up teching up military a few times early.

- France is bullshit (or easy-mode if you play as them). They get big armies, their traditions make those better and they have insanely good leaders. By the middle of the game, they can take on the rest of Europe and stand a decent chance at winning. Turning off "Lucky Nations" takes their (and a few other powerhouses, like Austrias) I-Win button away, but they remain a challenge.

- The Ottomans is a good starting nation for a first game. They have a decent army (but are held somewhat in check by a few of their neighbours), interesting events and some options about which direction to expand in.

- If you want achievements, you have to play in Ironman mode, but be aware that the almost constant autosaving that enables can get really annoying later in the game.

- Other than that, pay attention to the tooltips. A lot of info about mechanics is hidden in those.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 6, 2014

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So I tried Starbound last night and realized I basically had no idea what the hell is going on, have barely touched Terraria, and having never played minecraft or similar games. Any basic tips or strategies for starting out? Like namely what to do and how to do it. I got as far as cooking some meat, and then I had my guy make a bed, but I was feeling lost as to what my general goal should be.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord Lambeth posted:

Adding to what Ghostboy said:

Castille is also a good nation for starters. If you get good relations with Aragon, there's a high chance to get an event that downright gives all of their poo poo to you. (The gist of it is that either you need rulers of opposite genders and they don't have a heir during the 15th century, and during that whole century the chance has an effect of triggering, but no longer afterwards.) Castille is also neat because if you get cordial relations with France you basically don' thave to care about much invading you at all and you can work on uniting the peninsula and/or colonising stuff.

Don't reload when you lose a war or territory. Setbacks are very common when the AI decides to gang up on you for some reason. Just truck on and keep dicking around for a century or so and then change to another country until you get the gist of the mechanics.

Expanding is a lot more focused on warfare than CK2, and there's a deeper combat system. Getting generals is very important because they make a huge difference.

Cavalry is OP in the early game. Try to get a 1:1 ratio of cavalry to infantry in the early game because the mixed arms bonus doesn't outweigh the sheer power early game cavalry has. Later on in the game you should look at a 2:1:1 infantry:cavalry:artillery distribution of your armies.

As for strategy, the simplest thing to do is waltz your massive doomstack into their doomstack and chase it a bit to completely thin them out, preferably destroying the whole thing. If they're fighting on your ground, it's easy, but armies defeated in their homeland will automatically quickly retreat to the furthest gently caress-off province in the realm. So smashing an Ottoman army in Tunis might make them waltz all the way to the Caucasus if they have a massive empire spanning North Africa, for example.

So what you do is try to kill their stack(s) ASAP and then plop down small stacks on all of their provinces at once, just enough to besiege as many as possible. Play whack-a-mole with any new armies they raise while their morale is low, using one small stack of your own.

A bit more advanced, but remember that outright annexing provinces is costly and it will take a long time to fully convert their culture and religion if you have to. The most practical way of defeating an enemy is to force them to release vassals, and then working your way on diplomatically annexing them, or even better, annex territory, release that territory as a sovereign state and then start integrating them into your realm. It sounds roundabout, because it is, but 50 years to fully annex your vassal and get cores on them is a lot more practical than annexing the territory and getting rebels for 150 years while you slowly and costly put cores on their provinces.

So yeah, kind of dick around and read the wiki. It has a lot of good tips: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Beginner%27s_guide

KoB
May 1, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I tried Starbound last night and realized I basically had no idea what the hell is going on, have barely touched Terraria, and having never played minecraft or similar games. Any basic tips or strategies for starting out? Like namely what to do and how to do it. I got as far as cooking some meat, and then I had my guy make a bed, but I was feeling lost as to what my general goal should be.

Make a pickaxe & axe as soon as possible, strip mine the surface of the planet, throw your coal (you can make charcoal at the furnace with wood as well) into your spaceship and fly away. Repeat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I swear there was stuff for Spelunky but the wiki says no.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

It will not change. When the training wheels do come off so to speak its about 20 hours in and the plot collapses entirely so you're left with absolutely no motivation. Grinding for endgame weapons/levels is an exercise in absolute tedium so I hope you're excited for that.

Seriously, all of this. People love this game and all the power to them, but be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

If the story is confusing, you need to know that in its development they created the CGI/FMV sequences first and then created a story to fit around the visuals. Which explains why it's so disjointed, uneven, batshit stupid.

I should finally point out that the paradigms/crystal-spheregrid-thing are going to still pigeon-hole characters into predetermined roles the devs created for them. The customization is extremely limited.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Barudak posted:

XIII-2 fixes this sort of by letting you do everything from the start. It unfortunately has no level gating so if you do even a moderate amount of sidequests you will blow apart any challenge the game might have ever held and your 3rd party member is a monster so expect to catch and grind a ton of them or just get the DLC and never upgrade.

Level gating is one of the things I didn't like about FF13.

One of the reasons I love JRPGs is that there's an opportunity, if I want to take it, to over-level and make the game less challenging (Especially since most JRPGs don't have difficulty levels).

So FF13's level gating meant that the game was constantly a challenge, when really I don't want to pay much attention to every fight I get into.

So if FF13-2 removes that, and is generally a better game, maybe I should try it. I quit FF13 once it opened up, and watched a LP for the rest of the story.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Centipeed posted:

Level gating is one of the things I didn't like about FF13.

One of the reasons I love JRPGs is that there's an opportunity, if I want to take it, to over-level and make the game less challenging (Especially since most JRPGs don't have difficulty levels).

So FF13's level gating meant that the game was constantly a challenge, when really I don't want to pay much attention to every fight I get into.

So if FF13-2 removes that, and is generally a better game, maybe I should try it. I quit FF13 once it opened up, and watched a LP for the rest of the story.

Is FF13-2 the FF game that was the subject of a screenshot passed around a while back of the player's party containing a flan wearing sunglasses? If it's more fun than this, and I get a cool dessert monster on my team, count me in.

edit: hahahhaahhahaha insert disc 2 what the gently caress the tutorial isn't even over yet

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

PJOmega posted:

See that thing? That thing right there? It can and will kill you.

Holding a rat or other little critter will absorb the damage from an arrow. So will a damsel, but you don't want damsels to die other than as a sacrifice to Kali, and live sacrifices are worth more than dead ones.

Throw pots, don't whip them.

It doesn't matter if you're at fault for whatever pissed a shopkeeper off, you're getting blamed for it anyway. When shopkeepers are pissed off, they guard level exits. As you get deeper, it's more and more likely that something will kill a shopkeeper by an exit before you get there, but always keep an eye out.

If you enter a level and it says the dead are restless, look for the grave marked Ash. There's a shotgun buried under it.

Try to have a compass before the ice caves. Failing that, have enough ropes to go back up and over a bit so you don't end up stuck with an exit you can't get to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is FF13-2 the FF game that was the subject of a screenshot passed around a while back of the player's party containing a flan wearing sunglasses? If it's more fun than this, and I get a cool dessert monster on my team, count me in.

edit: hahahhaahhahaha insert disc 2 what the gently caress the tutorial isn't even over yet

Yes, that is the FF game you saw. It takes itself a lot less seriously than FFXIII but it has somehow a dumber story thats told a lot better. This isn't to say its a flat-out improvement but its at least different.

Centipeed posted:

Its not "generally a better game" since basically the only thing that worked in FF13 was combat and thats now completely non-functional due to combat and the post game grind is actually made worse and the monster party members either require copious grinding or just paying DLC so you can ignore it. If that sort of thing thrills you buy FFVIII as in that one it takes an interesting approach to get ridiculously broken early on and you can turn off random encounters so you can go from setpiece to setpiece of destruction.

FFXIII-2 includes a maze dungeon where enemies can't be avoided pretty much at all and purposefully provide no XP. Have fun with that poo poo.

Edit: If you buy FFXIII and want DLC get the Sazh one. Not only does it feature the only good character from FFXIII who can carry you considerably far into the game it introduces the card game Chronobind which is worth the price of admission alone.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 7, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Its not "generally a better game" since basically the only thing that worked in FF13 was combat and thats now completely non-functional due to combat and the post game grind is actually made worse and the monster party members either require copious grinding or just paying DLC so you can ignore it. If that sort of thing thrills you buy FFVIII as in that one it takes an interesting approach to get ridiculously broken early on and you can turn off random encounters so you can go from setpiece to setpiece of destruction.

FFXIII-2 includes a maze dungeon where enemies can't be avoided pretty much at all and purposefully provide no XP. Have fun with that poo poo.

Edit: If you buy FFXIII and want DLC get the Sazh one. Not only does it feature the only good character from FFXIII who can carry you considerably far into the game it introduces the card game Chronobind which is worth the price of admission alone.

Counterpoint: 13-2 is much better than 13 because they removed the stupid delay between paradigm shifting so combat is sped up considerably.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Counterpoint: 13-2 is much better than 13 because they removed the stupid delay between paradigm shifting so combat is sped up considerably.

Yeah, I came off as harsh because there are real improvements on FFXIII. Its just mixed in with messing up the few things from FFXIII that did work.

Then somehow FFXIII-3 is a completely different combat system and uses mechanics from Majora's Mask quite liberally so I think they gave up trying to make those mechanics work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PJOmega posted:

Try to always have something to throw, unless you're carrying a weapon.

It's almost always worth it to use one bomb or rope to get a box. Beyond that, depends on how many you have.

One bomb or rope is absolutely worth giving up if it saves you one health. (For example, using a rope to set off an arrow trap.)

You can walk through spikes, or crawl-drop down onto them if you're exactly one square above them. Falling down even a single square onto them will kill you in any other circumstances. (Unless you're using a cape.)

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I'm going to be starting a game in a week or two, and I know this thread doesn't always get traffic so I'm posting ahead of time. :)

The game is Demons Souls. Anything crucial I should know, besides what's here?:
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Demon%27s_Souls
(Thank you for this site by the way)

Haven't played Dark Souls. :)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If you can't get into the game or find it's way too difficult, instead of abandoning it, try to play as a Royalty and invest points towards Magic. Then try melee again in the next playthrough.

Also, don't bother with world tendencies in your first time through.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 8, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Thank goodness. The game is like "switch paradigms often, as circumstances change!" but you're sort of penalized for doing so due to the pause.

While I'm waiting on 13-2 to arrive, let me chime in about

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard

Like lots of vampires, Serana is a conjurer. That means that while she's at your side, when she senses a threat, she'll reanimate a corpse nearby to aid in the fight. Normally, this is pretty cool, as you take down bad guys and watch them rise right back up in a wicked blue light and start attacking their former comrades, but keep this behavior in mind for a mission given to you by a crazy guy living in a glacier (you'll know him when you get to him).

If you're trying to get stuff off of corpses, you might want to park Serana somewhere before you go body-hunting, lest she reanimate someone you need.

Seriously, she'll loving reanimate anything:

:shepface:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I could use more tips for Don't Starve, if you have any.
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Don%27t_Starve

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mayor McCheese posted:

I could use more tips for Don't Starve, if you have any.
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Don%27t_Starve
If you hear growling, get somewhere with nothing flammable, and pull out your best weapon and armor.

Winter comes at about day 20, be prepared.

Rabbits are a goddamn perfect resource, giving both food and warmth. Park your base somewhere within easy reach of a bunch of rabbit burrows.

Always have a torch available. Not just because it keeps you safe from the dark, but also because if you're about to freeze to death you can set a tree on fire.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Live rabbits don't spoil, so store them until you need them.

You can trap spiders, which makes clearing out nests easier early on.

Starting out you want to find gold (for the science machine) and poop (for farming). You can get manure from beefalo or by giving pigmen food.

SpaceLion
Jun 10, 2013
Not sure if I missed this in the thread or not, but any tips for Dominions 4? A fellow goon and I were looking to multiplayer it soon, but it seems to have a fairly daunting UI.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome, thanks for the tips, guys!

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Evil Mastermind posted:

Starting out you want to find gold (for the science machine) and poop (for farming). You can get manure from beefalo or by giving pigmen food.

You get poop from pigmen by feeding them non-meat food. If you feed them meat they do something else

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always got frustrated in Don't Starve because I couldn't find beefalo. I always found huge fields of gold and plenty of pigmen but in the search for beefalo I got eaten by spiders and said "screw this game."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I picked up Fallen Enchantress during the steam sale for stupid cheap. I've played a bit of it but I know that I am definitely missing many tricks. I know the basic stuff like swarm attacks, spells, and shopping, but the whole 'What to use/avoid" stuff I'm still working on.

Any tips?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
For Rogue Legacy I have to add one critical piece of advice.

Play with a controller by god the keyboard layout will kill you so often.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PJOmega posted:

For Rogue Legacy I have to add one critical piece of advice.

Play with a controller by god the keyboard layout will kill you so often.

I play with a PS4 controller. Used to use an Xbox 360 controller but the d-pad is garbage and you seriously need a good d-pad for the janky down thrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got Eternal Sonata. Tell me about Eternal Sonata.