Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Looks like Parley is using a replica (wooden?) of the Coyote Tooth Knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hell of a speech, Carver.

e: ^^^ yeah, you can see it in the last two pages as well.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 10, 2014

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
"its all me me me with carver"

Yes, yes it is, Tom. :xd:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is that corvid in the center of the picture with the Archer? http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=772

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
It's always good to make the point that if your society depends on a cursed, hate fueled vengeance spirit your forefathers callously created it might be time to make some changes.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Tollymain posted:

What is that corvid in the center of the picture with the Archer? http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=772

I've wondered that also, but I think that we either don't really know yet or it's somehow related to the original headmaster or Steadman (who I'm assuming is the guy in the red cloak). A pet or personal symbol they had, maybe?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

It's obviously Dave Strider and Crowsprite. Duh.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Tollymain posted:

My pet theory is that it's the Native American god Raven. I mean, heck, we already have Coyote and Muut running around.

Why he's there, of course, is yet another Gunnerkrigg Mystery (TM).

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I think though that they probably had to have some kind of "sacrifice" for their magical arrow doohickey thing. Though, that was the green dude, right?

Yeah, it looks like they took advantage of some event which required the court to be at the river, as there are several people on the court side of the river, which Jeanne and elf dude were going to use to escape to the forest side. The court then sniped the elf dude, and used his love for Jeanne to bind her to the river.

Wyld Karde posted:

Smitty raises a good point. Annie also has a good counterpoint. Looks like she's fixin' to get her psychopomp on.

Helping Jeanne get to the other side to possibly be with her love again is probably a good thing. What protection she was provided the court seems to be negated by the bridge anyway. Although I am interested in what the court currently knows about her. It's probably a note saying "Don't go down to the river, there's something that seems to kill everyone. Best avoid." and one bright spark decided that a bridge neatly side stepped the issue.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tollymain posted:

I'm sure it's some optical illusion, but I can't help but see the guy in red in the middle as someone wearing sunglasses and facing mostly away from us. Which makes that red cloak look like some kind of 80's red pleather jacket. I'm sure that it's not supposed to look like a guy in bitchin' shades, but I can't tell what else it's supposed to be.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm sure it's some optical illusion, but I can't help but see the guy in red in the middle as someone wearing sunglasses and facing mostly away from us. Which makes that red cloak look like some kind of 80's red pleather jacket. I'm sure that it's not supposed to look like a guy in bitchin' shades, but I can't tell what else it's supposed to be.

You are not alone in this.

Also I thought initially that it was the same bird on the page 2 after that one that's delivering the letters from the forest, which made sense at the time since the archer was sending Jeanne's letters, but it's not the same bird at all.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Willersby or whatever former bully kid's name is is the descendant of archer Steadman guy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Watch them realize they made a huge mistake when they seal Jeanne away and the shadowmen/something worse start pouring into the court (they can't cross the illuminated bridge)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Blackheart posted:

Watch them realize they made a huge mistake when they seal Jeanne away and the shadowmen/something worse start pouring into the court (they can't cross the illuminated bridge)

Even if they do manage to seal her, somebody (probably Parley) is going to get absolutely wrecked in the process.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Just how did Parley work that into the conversation anyway

"By the way, Sir... have you ever fought a terror ghost?"
"...A terror what?"
"Hey, can you show me how to do that one riposte one more time!"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Nah, terrorghosts must be a basic entry in a court protector's pokedex. They're just practice against Jeanne, which is more like a murderghost (do not confuse with a murdershrimp which is easily dealt with)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, if Smitty declines to participate, then we'll know that they are totally screwed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Smitty isn't going to opt out if Parley doesn't and Parley is too invested in this to back out

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!
I wonder how you go about instructing someone in swordplay that involves teleportation at will.

Jeanne is going to be twice as murderghosty after five minutes trying to land a hit. Granted, I think the problem will be more keeping her attention safely on Parley.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TheHeadSage posted:

Yeah, it looks like they took advantage of some event which required the court to be at the river, as there are several people on the court side of the river, which Jeanne and elf dude were going to use to escape to the forest side. The court then sniped the elf dude, and used his love for Jeanne to bind her to the river.

Jeanne knew in advance that something horrible was going to happen and that she was being sent into some sort of danger which the court knew about or was involved in, and that Diego was connected to

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=655

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Willersby or whatever former bully kid's name is is the descendant of archer Steadman guy.
Was he even a bully? Even at his worst he came off as little more than a snotty little brat trying to act tough. I don't think Winsbury ever actually intimidated anybody. Plus he seems to have chilled out as the story progressed.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Zero Star posted:

Was he even a bully? Even at his worst he came off as little more than a snotty little brat trying to act tough. I don't think Winsbury ever actually intimidated anybody. Plus he seems to have chilled out as the story progressed.

He did kinda shove Kat around once, but I think that's about the worst thing he's ever been shown doing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rasamune posted:

Just how did Parley work that into the conversation anyway

"By the way, Sir... have you ever fought a terror ghost?"
"...A terror what?"
"Hey, can you show me how to do that one riposte one more time!"

If she used that exact phrase, she could have said it's for the next Dr. Disaster simulation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rasamune posted:

He did kinda shove Kat around once, but I think that's about the worst thing he's ever been shown doing.

He also dissed Alistair and I think that's the extent of his on-screen bullying.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Maybe it's the crossover of the century.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zero Star posted:

A bully doesn't have to be beating up kids for their lunch money. But he's definitely mellowed out; he was a bully in their first year but doesn't seem to be any more. Maybe Janet is a good influence.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

That third panel smile always gets me. What an arsehole.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Smoky Bandana posted:

Oh hey, I never caught that Diego referred to elf dude as "that traitor". Interesting. I guess maybe he used to be with the Court.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Love makes you do crazy things :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not love. Diego wanted her, but he didn't love her.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
If Diego was alive today, he'd spend all his time on R/Mensrights complaining about how Jeanne friendzoned him.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TheHeadSage posted:

Although I am interested in what the court currently knows about her. It's probably a note saying "Don't go down to the river, there's something that seems to kill everyone. Best avoid." and one bright spark decided that a bridge neatly side stepped the issue.

They wrote a song about it.

"Don't go by the river/
If you love your wife/
'Cuz you'll make that girl a widow/
And you'll cause her pain and strife/
And if you go by that riverside/
You might lose your la-la-la-la-life"

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Smoky Bandana posted:

God drat I never even noticed that. That's just slimy, gently caress.

edit: On top of that, Diego blames Young for her death and has the little robot show where he's the great angelic hero who avenges Jeanne by defeating the giant robot that represents Young... What a self-centered man.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 11, 2014

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

BattleCake posted:

God drat I never even noticed that. That's just slimy, gently caress.

edit: On top of that, Diego blames Young for her death and has the little robot show where he's the great angelic hero who avenges Jeanne by defeating the giant robot that represents Young... What a self-centered man.

I never noticed the smile, either. I've also always read Diego's "It didn't have to be this way" line as something he kind of muttered to himself that Jeanne only partially picked up so it didn't give her a full idea of what he was planning.

Also, I've always looked at the robot play being the personification of Diego's regrets. In the end he wishes that he had been the valiant hero to stand up to Young and had not chosen to go with the road he had picked. And so, to try and relieve his guilt, he constructs a show where he is a braver and more noble man than he had ever been. A man that could have stood up to Young's decision and saved Jeanne from her fate (and in the end probably even gotten the girl). In the basement scene, Rey even calls it "A morbid play acted out by these machines", referring to fact that the whole thing is just a fantasy (I actually had to look up that quote). Just a sad brony doing weird, sad, brony things...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not to say that making it "Young's decision" to which he wish he could have "stood up" is already some serious memory-rewrite. After all, remember panel 2 from this page. Young was the leader, but it looks like the plan was Diego's.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The "device" arrow looks like it has a V-shaped blade on it. Did it behead the green guy!? That's pretty brutal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think it's awfully convenient that the recording robot recorded only that exact sequence of videos. It would not surprise me if what we've seen so far is only part of the story, and someone (Diego himself in a fit of self-hatred?) edited it to cut out something important.

EDIT: Wild speculation here. Suppose Diego set up the camera to record the meeting and the scheme (note those fingers at the start of the video, Diego was clearly purposefully switching on the camera), and in the video that follows, went and showed it to Jeanne after "what part did you play in all this." Could they have come up with some kind of countermeasure?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 11, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Not to say that making it "Young's decision" to which he wish he could have "stood up" is already some serious memory-rewrite. After all, remember panel 2 from this page. Young was the leader, but it looks like the plan was Diego's.

Not to mention Diego was the one insisting it was Jeanne that was sacrificed, even if he hadn't come up with the idea of "trap a ghost of one of us to fight off enemies". He obviously wanted to punish her - and probably her lover too - for not falling in love with him; it makes you wonder how much of what happened was really necessary and how much was Diego's sick scheming.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Red Queen posted:

The "device" arrow looks like it has a V-shaped blade on it. Did it behead the green guy!? That's pretty brutal.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=776

It's pretty difficult to tell but I think it hit his arm. Either way, I really want to know what all this was set to accomplish though. I mean, unless it's about the Court and the Forest being made to keep to themselves. But that doesn't really explain why they'd kill one of their- teachers? Students? I have no idea what Jeanne even did there- people for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As a side-note, it's interesting to compare Diego to Renard. Both of them are pretty creepy (let's not forget the number of times he's hit on twelve-ish-year-old Annie and Kat*) and let an obsessive crush lead them to some destructive things, involving murder in both cases. And yet Renard is clearly the better of the two. He never expressed that he was owed Surma's love.

*Not a large number of times, sure, but more than zero.