Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Nicol Bolas posted:

Honestly, I barely get color on my bacon, I just like the fat rendered a bit and soft. I just have this sensory image of cold pork fat in my mouth and it seems totally gross. Please make all animal fats at least lukewarm before putting them in my mouth.

You should try some delicious lardo.

As for Trichinella, yeah, it's pretty much a non issue for pork in most parts of Europe as well. You can pretty much eat pork tartare safely these days as long as you make sure the meat is fresh and from a decently reputable vendor. However my point was more that I'd treat cured uncooked bacon as a raw product and not a cooked one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

Yeah, but Trichinella is basically nonexistent in the united states.

Fair enough, but the fatty ones (chorizo and the like) are ground, which breaks down the connective tissue, and the whole muscle ones (prosciutto, capacola, etc) are not as fatty.

For the sake of argument, I retort with lardo.

Efb

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What kind of stores (in person) sell sodium citrate? I haven't managed to find it at the supermarkets I go to.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What kind of stores (in person) sell sodium citrate? I haven't managed to find it at the supermarkets I go to.

health food stores and some kosher stores/sections. It maybe labeled as "sour salt" but it is important to check ingredients and make sure it is actually sodium citrate and not citric acid, both of which are sold with the "sour salt" name. By far the easiest is to order off amazon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I am about to do red beans and rice. The last time I went to the store, I got jarred pickled pork hocks to add after seeing it mentioned here. My question is when do I add these things--while browning the rest of the meat, when everything is about to get set to simmer, etc--and how much? A few? half a jar and juice? etc etc.

Those are for snacking and not using in soups. The pickling solution will make things taste weird, you want the smoked ones for making greens or red beans and rice.

BDawg posted:

Tried to follow this recipe tonight.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/perfect-pan-roasted-chicken-thighs

Besides lowering the temp, I followed the recipe, pretty well, moving the chicken regularly. However, the skin is black. That makes me think I had the heat too high, but the recipe says 2 min on high.

What should I do differently?

Turn it down. A cast iron pan on high will turn your chicken skin the color of cast iron. To get it brown and crispy you shouldn't have to go past medium, on my electric range medium would even be too hot. The oil will do the cooking for you.

Safety Dance posted:

Bacon is a cured meat, right? So, in theory, bacon should be edible without cooking, right? I have no desire to start chugging raw bacon, but I was pondering this the other day.

It's probably not 'safe' but my dad and I have ate raw bacon (just a half a slice or two) for years. Also know a couple other people that do it once in a while.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bob Morales posted:

It's probably not 'safe' but my dad and I have ate raw bacon (just a half a slice or two) for years. Also know a couple other people that do it once in a while.

Just how awful was it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

just taking this opportunity to say that most grocery store bacon has about as much in common with good real bacon as a big mac has with a good real hamburger.

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drink and Fight posted:

Why don't you tell us why you want to eat nothing but eggs, cheese, and chicken?

It isn't that, they are just three things that I thought could get me quite a bit of protein and would be simple for me to put together, if I can figure out a way to make it work. It would only be for one meal, four times a week.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you're set on wanting to eat an all egg-chicken-cheese diet, your best bet is probably going to be some sort of quiche or frittata. You can bake a relatively large one and it be good for a few days.

Thank you, I will start checking out some recipes for those!

Boris Galerkin posted:

When you asked if 4-8 eggs was too much, did you mean it in a "is my heart gonna explode" way or do you mean if it's too much for what else you're putting in it? For what it's worth I eat 2-3 eggs a day for breakfast and I think a lot of people in YLLS do the same (but like I also exercise everyday, so I'm not worried about my heart exploding). If you're talking about if it's too much for what you're gonna cook then well welcome to cooking and experiment! Try it out. Is it too eggy? If so, use less eggs next week! (Actually, start on the lower end of the scale and then add more if you think it could use more.)

That is exactly what I was trying to say. Will it be too eggy? Is that too many eggs in proportion to the other things I want to put with it? Will it turn my casserole into a cake? I will definitely experiment more and not worry too much about it.

Trump.mp4 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 9, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Well cured and smoked bacon is delicious raw. :colbert:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If you want to eat raw bacon it should have firm fat, so the cut needs to come from up high on the side of the animal instead of from down low on the belly. I've eaten my latest soft fat belly pancetta raw, and it was good, but nowhere near as good as a bit of good cured lardo or fatback. I always feel up pork bellies in the cooler racks before buying so I can get the ones with the firmest fat. It's what makes the best crackling too. And for braising, red-cooking etc. it's much better also. I pretty much only use soft-fat belly for grinding up, like for lion's heads or sausage, or for pancetta, and the pancetta I mostly cook.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 9, 2014

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Regarding both beef cheek and cured meats, would it be possible to make a guanciale analogue out of beef cheek? I can get cheekmeat for under $3 a pound, I have a girlfriend who can't eat pork, and I really miss spaghetti carbonara, so I had the genius idea of curing some beef cheek. Good idea/bad idea/worth the hassle?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

just taking this opportunity to say that most grocery store bacon has about as much in common with good real bacon as a big mac has with a good real hamburger.

Yea there is a huuuge difference. Look at the charcuterie thread to see how real bacon is cured. Most grocery store bacon is just force injected with a brine.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I am doing some cooking for veggie family members tomorrow. Gonna be doing Mexican stuffs since not everyone is brave and likes Indian or Thai or whatever else. Quesadillas I've got down fine, just pretty basic seasoned beans and some good cheese. Kinda not sure what to do with the stuffing for enchiladas. I want to do one mole, one red. Any ideas for what to put in there?

Also, nuts are used as thickener in mole, correct? Would crushed tortilla chips be an ok sub since someone has nut allergies?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I am doing some cooking for veggie family members tomorrow. Gonna be doing Mexican stuffs since not everyone is brave and likes Indian or Thai or whatever else. Quesadillas I've got down fine, just pretty basic seasoned beans and some good cheese. Kinda not sure what to do with the stuffing for enchiladas. I want to do one mole, one red. Any ideas for what to put in there?

Also, nuts are used as thickener in mole, correct? Would crushed tortilla chips be an ok sub since someone has nut allergies?

Portabellas are good to use in enchiladas or quesadillas for the non-meat eaters. But my family always just uses cheese+diced raw onion in enchiladas anyway.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I wouldn't say that nuts are used as a thickener, more just another flavor component. It's usually just a spoonful of peanut butter or ground peanuts for the whole pot (I use ground sesame seeds, a la Rick Bayless). Masa is the thickener. I'm sure really finely crushed chips would do in a pinch, but if you're going to the trouble of getting all the different dried chiles and simmering a proper mole, it's easier to get your texture right if you use masa. Also, really important to use Mexican chocolate.

Do you like tofu? You could stuff your enchiladas with firm tofu, peppers, onions, spices.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
There's a place here that has a sweet potato and quinoa taco with a tomatillo salsa that I've heard is really good. You could do enchiladas verdes with a sweet potato based filling.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Moe_Rahn posted:

Regarding both beef cheek and cured meats, would it be possible to make a guanciale analogue out of beef cheek? I can get cheekmeat for under $3 a pound, I have a girlfriend who can't eat pork, and I really miss spaghetti carbonara, so I had the genius idea of curing some beef cheek. Good idea/bad idea/worth the hassle?

Worth a shot, but long term you're probably better off getting a new girlfriend.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

mich posted:

There's a place here that has a sweet potato and quinoa taco with a tomatillo salsa that I've heard is really good. You could do enchiladas verdes with a sweet potato based filling.

My dad makes killer butternut squash and goat cheese enchiladas, but they definitely lose a little in terms of authentic flavors of any kind. They are still delicious though.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
Iam looking for something to add to my morning yogurt that is similar to raisins but have less calories. It doesnt have to be as sweet but i want it to have the same soft chewines. Also it has to go well with yogurt, nuts and cocoa powder. Anyone have any ideas?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

kalven posted:

Iam looking for something to add to my morning yogurt that is similar to raisins but have less calories. It doesnt have to be as sweet but i want it to have the same soft chewines. Also it has to go well with yogurt, nuts and cocoa powder. Anyone have any ideas?

Dried figs, dates, cherries, currants, or other dried fruit is about the only thing I can think of, but that is a massive range to choose from. As far as lower calories, I have no idea - given the quantity of raisins usually used, I wouldn't think the calorie content would be a huge issue, but I don't know much about these things.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I want to make a queso dip but don't want to have that processed cheese (Velveeta) taste. But of course, regular cheese separates. Is there a particularly good processed cheese I can use, or does anyone know a recipe using real cheese that doesn't separate or solidify under sustained heat?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Sounds like you need some sodium citrate!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

a dozen swans posted:

Sounds like you need some sodium citrate!

Hm interesting. Am I likely to find it at a grocery store / Walmart?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got mine from Amazon, not going to find it at a grocery or Walmart

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I got mine from Amazon, not going to find it at a grocery or Walmart

Thanks. Guess I'll be stuck with Velveeta for the football games this weekend but I'll order some sodium citrate for next weekend's games.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Thanks. Guess I'll be stuck with Velveeta for the football games this weekend but I'll order some sodium citrate for next weekend's games.
Do you have sodium carbonate and citric acid? If yes, you can make your own!

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 10, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Anybody know what sauces work with Mongolian barbecue-type cooking?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Do you have sodium carbonate and citric acid? If yes, you can make your own!

And you can make sodium carbonate from sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). And citric acid may be be available where other canning stuff is sold in the grocery store.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

regulargonzalez posted:

You could always try this recipe - its base ingredients are just cheese, cornstarch, and evaporated milk (plus whatever other adulterants you want to add to flavor it).

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Any recommendations for website with all sorts of recipes? I usually have a couple blogs but those are very specific things and I'm always out of ideas of what to cook.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Not to be funny, Le0, but I find that youtube has an excellent repository of recipes. If I have some ingredients lying about, and I'm not sure exactly what I want, I'll search for "__________ (whatever that ingredient is) recipe", and it'll spit out a bunch of ideas. Even just browsing the titles of the videos will often get me going.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Le0 posted:

Any recommendations for website with all sorts of recipes? I usually have a couple blogs but those are very specific things and I'm always out of ideas of what to cook.

In general my go-to's are Serious Eats or The Kitchn for food and Smitten Kitchen for baked goods. If it's on the Food Lab section of Serious Eats that's even better because that guy goes to excessive lengths sometimes to test and explain things. You can't do it anymore because they've all seemed to be taken down from YouTube, but I used to open up the Wikipedia page of the list of Good Eats episodes and search to see if they've done an episode on what I wanted to cook as well. Pepin has a good serious mostly available on YouTube as well called Fast Food My Way. I think it's a really good one to watch as a beginner because he gets the point across that cooking isn't an exact science and you can do whatever you want.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Anyone got a good recipe for a chipotle hot sauce? I love the chipotle tobasco - sweet, smokey, and sour without that 'pure distilled vinegar' thing normal tobasco has. I can use it like water, and I figure it'd be cheaper to make my own, but I don't know where to start. Also, I absolutely hate chipotle cholula. Stuff tastes distinctly of armpits.

edit: Good recipe or tips for a pretzel loaf? Little or big. Never made the stuff, wife's crazy about it, ought to bake some to make up for my failings as a human being.

Luegene Cards fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 10, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
^ You could try getting a can of chipotles in adobo (cheap!) seed the chiles (wear gloves) and then blitz 'em in the blender, adding salt, honey maybe, the adobo sauce from the can, and vinegar of choice and tasting as you go?

regulargonzalez posted:

Don't listen to these fancypantses. What you are trying to make is cheese fondue. Get a good melty cheese for texture (real american cheese from the deli) and cheddar for flavor. Beer for flavor and texture. Stabilize with cornstarch. Salsa for flavor. It'll survive.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cheese+fondue

edit: oh, someone already posted a cheese sauce recipe. Oh well.

dino. posted:

Not to be funny, Le0, but I find that youtube has an excellent repository of recipes.
I tend not to use it regularly, but if I'm doing something I know nothing about at all, I start with youtube almost always. If you can afford it, Cook's Illustrated's online archive is a hell of a resource. I can't pay that, but I have one of their large "best of" type books and it is a go-to in my kitchen.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 10, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

anakha posted:

Anybody know what sauces work with Mongolian barbecue-type cooking?

mongolian bbq to my tastes always just tastes like sambal, soy, sugar, sesame oil, white pepper, and garlic.

regulargonzalez posted:

I want to make a queso dip but don't want to have that processed cheese (Velveeta) taste. But of course, regular cheese separates. Is there a particularly good processed cheese I can use, or does anyone know a recipe using real cheese that doesn't separate or solidify under sustained heat?

I prefer citrate cheese, but this one works in a pinch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxcIQOAaB24

Luegene Cards posted:

Anyone got a good recipe for a chipotle hot sauce? I love the chipotle tobasco - sweet, smokey, and sour without that 'pure distilled vinegar' thing normal tobasco has. I can use it like water, and I figure it'd be cheaper to make my own, but I don't know where to start. Also, I absolutely hate chipotle cholula. Stuff tastes distinctly of armpits.

canned chipotle in adobo, lime juice, fresh ground cumin, salt, a few cilantro leaves, a clove of garlic, and pulverize in a blender. If it's too spicy you can water down and re thicken with additional dried chiles like chile california which are mild and/or xanthan gum which is pretty ubiquitous in the bottled sauce world. If it's too mild, add some ground chile de arbol. You can add some scallions to the puree if you want a different flavor. Mexican oregano works well, too. You can also water down if too spicy with tomato or roasted tomatillo, but that will change the flavor profile. If you want to be really different, use something like mango or peach to water down, both will bring some thickening as well.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Can I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven on a gas burner?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

I sure hope so? I've been doing it for a year and haven't had any issues.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Me in Reverse posted:

Absolutely! In fact, the only place I wouldn't use one would be in a microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I would definitely not use one to bludgeon a homeless man in the restroom of a Citgo on I-19 outside of Tuscon.