Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Picked up a few things recently:

Pastels - "Truckload of Trouble 2xLP." I'd been looking for this for a looooong time, so I was very pleased to finally find a reasonably priced copy on Discogs.

This Heat - "Deceit" LP. Original on Rough Trade. This is actually an upgrade copy; my other one had a big scratch on side 2, but this one has minty vinyl. Only $35 via an email list I'm on, so I'm stoked about the nice price.

Black Tambourine - "Complete Recordings" 10" Found this locally. I didn't really need it, as it isn't even really their complete recordings and I already have the LP that is complete, but I like the cover art, and I loving love the band.

Also, I'd like to thank you guys for teaching me about Sky Ferreira (I'd never heard of her) and posting the link to buy the LP, because the wife and I have been spinning the hell out of that one. Never in a million years would I have guessed that I'd fall in love with a record by someone who is touring with Miley Cyrus, but goddamn, it's such a good pop album. Love the production, too; parts of it even echo bands like Suicide, Spacemen 3, and/or JAMC. You can tell her boyfriend is in a shoegaze band, too. Tons o' fun, that record is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

david puddy posted:

I just got a stack of free stuff from one of my uncles...

The copy of Revolver is mono too, which I'd been after for ages.

Speaking of, I saw a mono copy of Revolver at Vinyl Exchange in St. Louis a couple years ago. They have some shelves of used stuff they haven't gotten around to checking/pricing (typically pretty jacked-up stuff, so it's kind of a "clearance section", with most going for $1 to $5), and my girlfriend was diligently digging through them. She found this copy of Revolver and took it up to the counter to buy it. The girl at the counter looks it over and says the manager will have to come look at it. He comes by and "checks the book" and says "Oh that's $100. Maybe we should put it in the display case with the other Beatles stuff" and put it on a back shelf. The look of excitement on my g/f's face faded fast. She said thanks anyway but that $100 was too steep for her. Record-store-employee smarm is nothing new, but his dismissive attitude toward her really pissed me off. I gave her my keys and asked her to warm up the car while I checked out. Then I bought the copy of Revolver in secret, hid it away for six months until she had almost certainly forgotten about the whole incident, and then gave it to her for Christmas.

And that's the most I've ever spent on a record.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

izationalizer posted:

This Heat - "Deceit" LP. Original on Rough Trade. This is actually an upgrade copy; my other one had a big scratch on side 2, but this one has minty vinyl. Only $35 via an email list I'm on, so I'm stoked about the nice price.

a score. 8)))

i still need to buy my copy of their self-titled. that will be a celebration buy

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

DammitJanet posted:

Speaking of, I saw a mono copy of Revolver at Vinyl Exchange in St. Louis a couple years ago. They have some shelves of used stuff they haven't gotten around to checking/pricing (typically pretty jacked-up stuff, so it's kind of a "clearance section", with most going for $1 to $5), and my girlfriend was diligently digging through them. She found this copy of Revolver and took it up to the counter to buy it. The girl at the counter looks it over and says the manager will have to come look at it. He comes by and "checks the book" and says "Oh that's $100. Maybe we should put it in the display case with the other Beatles stuff" and put it on a back shelf. The look of excitement on my g/f's face faded fast. She said thanks anyway but that $100 was too steep for her. Record-store-employee smarm is nothing new, but his dismissive attitude toward her really pissed me off. I gave her my keys and asked her to warm up the car while I checked out. Then I bought the copy of Revolver in secret, hid it away for six months until she had almost certainly forgotten about the whole incident, and then gave it to her for Christmas.

Capitol or Parlophone? I've found loads of Capitol copies for under $40 and they don't sell for anywhere near as much because they're missing 3 tracks. Mine is an Australian Parlophone copy, unfortunately pretty noisy. I guess that's what 30 years in an attic does to things.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I saw a copy of Pearl Jam - Yield in a store last week. It was 100 bucks, used.

You don't see that one a lot. But gently caress paying 100 bucks for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Woooooooooo!!!!!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DammitJanet posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I wouldn't have given that dickhead money after that. People who price poo poo based on guides are always assholes because they know full well that those prices are over inflated the way everyone else does. Any reputable record shop doesn't sell based on those price guides.

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.
I finally got into the record game today and bought In an Aeroplane Over the Sea and Postal Service Give up. That is one nice 3lp set. Anyone know how the Godspeed You Black Emperor pressings are?

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

CPL593H posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I wouldn't have given that dickhead money after that. People who price poo poo based on guides are always assholes because they know full well that those prices are over inflated the way everyone else does. Any reputable record shop doesn't sell based on those price guides.

Well that dude bought it so I think it's probably worth whatever that guide said.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Communist posted:

I finally got into the record game today and bought In an Aeroplane Over the Sea and Postal Service Give up. That is one nice 3lp set. Anyone know how the Godspeed You Black Emperor pressings are?

good

e: especially F#A#, the vinyl edition is very different from the CD version

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

izationalizer posted:

Pastels - "Truckload of Trouble 2xLP." I'd been looking for this for a looooong time, so I was very pleased to finally find a reasonably priced copy on Discogs.

drat. That comp is ridiculously good. How much did you pick it up for if you don't mind saying?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Chill Callahan posted:

drat. That comp is ridiculously good. How much did you pick it up for if you don't mind saying?

Yeah, it really is good. I was kinda surprised by how consistently excellent it is (I'd only heard about 1/4 of the songs before buying it). It was $45 including shipping from Japan, which was cool with me.

e:

a milk crime posted:

a score. 8)))

i still need to buy my copy of their self-titled. that will be a celebration buy

Somehow skimmed past this post. Anyway, yeah, that self-titled LP is worth it for "24 Track Loop" alone, IMHO, although the whole thing is great. This Heat has been one of my most listened-to bands recently. I really want "Health and Efficiency" and "Made Available."

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 8, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
My Tycho - Dive repress finally arrived, and it is the first thing in the past 3 months to arrive in good condition. It's... beautiful. So beautiful.

And there is what appears to be a dash made with sharpie on each record's label :eng99:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

For any of you guys interested in Philadelphia area pop-folk-punk or whatever, Modern Baseball's second LP "You're Gonna Miss It All" is up for PO on Run For Cover records. Black /500, Pink&White /1000, Green&White /1000, Blue&White /1500. $14 plus $4ish to ship.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Woooooooooo!!!!!!

My favorite band of all time. I'm trying to collect all their 7"s but I've resigned to the fact that I'll never find the Scott & Aubrey split that was only given away as a favor at some dude's wedding. How's that for a limited release?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MondayHotDog posted:

My favorite band of all time. I'm trying to collect all their 7"s but I've resigned to the fact that I'll never find the Scott & Aubrey split that was only given away as a favor at some dude's wedding. How's that for a limited release?
Yeah sometime you just have to say "welp, not going to get that one"

Mine aren't limited pressings or anything, I just like having them. Did you preorder Adults?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

Yeah sometime you just have to say "welp, not going to get that one"

Mine aren't limited pressings or anything, I just like having them. Did you preorder Adults?

No, I only collect singles so far. Did preorder the new Bruce Lee Band though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a 10" I don't know if that changes your mind.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I picked up "...Like Clockwork" in spite of it splitting a 10 song album over 4 sides, a trend I loving hate. Then I realized that it runs at 45rpm, I've never used this my curent turntable at that speed before and it appears to struggle with it.

It's an old JVC Direct Drive and although you can adjust the speed it can't quite get up to 45rpm, I would guess it's reaching around 42rpm. What could this be? I've never opened up a deck before and I'd like to avoid it really.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

midge posted:

I picked up "...Like Clockwork" in spite of it splitting a 10 song album over 4 sides, a trend I loving hate. Then I realized that it runs at 45rpm, I've never used this my curent turntable at that speed before and it appears to struggle with it.

It's an old JVC Direct Drive and although you can adjust the speed it can't quite get up to 45rpm, I would guess it's reaching around 42rpm. What could this be? I've never opened up a deck before and I'd like to avoid it really.

Why would they make that record 45rpm if there's only 10 minutes per side?

Edit: heh, I had my speeds backward. Of course it would be faster.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 9, 2014

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

midge posted:

splitting a 10 song album over 4 sides, a trend I loving hate. Then I realized that it runs at 45rpm
I actually like it when records are put into 2LPs at 45rpm. Mostly electronic records with 2 or 3 songs per side. The two I can think of off the top of my head are Caribou-Swim and Atoms for Peace - Amok
I'm all about thinking that things that spin faster sound better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross-posting from PYF's recent purchases thread. I'd been searching for a table/cabinet for my collection for a while... Finally after countless antique malls:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That is awesome.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Elrobot posted:

I actually like it when records are put into 2LPs at 45rpm.

All other things being equal, 45rpm will sound better than 33rpm. I believe it has something to do with a higher capacity for storing information. One of these days, I'll have all those Smiths 12"s....

Scarf posted:

Cross-posting from PYF's recent purchases thread. I'd been searching for a table/cabinet for my collection for a while... Finally after countless antique malls:

Nice cabinet. It's cool how it flips open like that. I have several of those around the house, although they just slide open.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 9, 2014

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
I have one of those things too and it's really cool for holding a decent amount of records. I had my TT on top initially but found it was impossible to open or close the drawer without causing vibration that would skip the record, especially once the drawer is filled with heavy records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

All other things being equal, 45rpm will sound better than 33rpm. I believe it has something to do with a higher capacity for storing information. One of these days, I'll have all those Smiths 12"s....

Nice cabinet. It's cool how it flips open like that. I have several of those around the house, although they just slide open.

45 RPM has better low end reproduction.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to own a copy of Led Zeppelin 1 and 2 but there's a trillion editions of both and no recent repressings; is there ideal/relatively cheap ones to aim for? Thanks goons.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
And I believe fewer songs per side allow for wider grooves which helps something else out (dynamic range?). The widest grooves I've ever seen, or at least furthest apart, are on the Prefuse 73/Flaming Lips collaboration. One side looks unlike any other record I have seen. Too bad it's kind of boring.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
This is for all my bros in the thread who spin fast and bang hard.

Out of all of them I grabbed a pic of this one, 1963 sine wave pop

Picked this up recently, one hell of a live record

12" singles are used for deep grooves and larger groove spacing to enhance sound quality. Pretty sure this is why Hip-Hop singles on 7" are not common

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone have a reccomendation for cheap 45 storage? I happened upon a ton of them from the 70s, but they're all crammed in a tiny box, and I'd prefer something a little more open.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of you guys come across Dancing Hoods vinyl very often? I've been through a few dozen record stores and haven't had any luck.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone have a reccomendation for cheap 45 storage? I happened upon a ton of them from the 70s, but they're all crammed in a tiny box, and I'd prefer something a little more open.

I keep mine in cut-down comic short boxes. Just slice off a couple on inches from the top and there you go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So I swung by Newbury Comics this afternoon and now I have some words to eat, I guess:

I sure as hell wasn't expecting to find something as sought-after (at least I assumed it was) as the Ghibli comp in January 2014. I was debating passing it by but I was with my movie buff friend who made me pick it up. Say what you will about Mondo, they did a really nice job with this and it's a well done little package. Turns out that the artwork from the other two versions is inside the gatefold, which I wasn't expecting either.

I make no excuses about picking up either the Al Green or Deltron "Newbury exclusive" reissues (if you'll recall, my beef was with the Talking Heads and Bon Iver ones- which remain quite overpriced and unnecessary). The color on "Let's Stay Together" is really pretty too. I was expecting a bog-standard clear green but it's more of a milky pistachio ice cream.

And as for the last album in the group- well, Conor Oberst's catalog might be the definition of 'hit/miss' and he may or may not be a huge douchebag, but he made a hell of a record in 2005.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I swung by Newbury Comics this afternoon and now I have some words to eat, I guess:

I sure as hell wasn't expecting to find something as sought-after (at least I assumed it was) as the Ghibli comp in January 2014. I was debating passing it by but I was with my movie buff friend who made me pick it up. Say what you will about Mondo, they did a really nice job with this and it's a well done little package. Turns out that the artwork from the other two versions is inside the gatefold, which I wasn't expecting either.

I make no excuses about picking up either the Al Green or Deltron "Newbury exclusive" reissues (if you'll recall, my beef was with the Talking Heads and Bon Iver ones- which remain quite overpriced and unnecessary). The color on "Let's Stay Together" is really pretty too. I was expecting a bog-standard clear green but it's more of a milky pistachio ice cream.

And as for the last album in the group- well, Conor Oberst's catalog might be the definition of 'hit/miss' and he may or may not be a huge douchebag, but he made a hell of a record in 2005.

the ghibli compilation is fantastic. hopefully they decide to press the full scores soon. id kill for the spirited away OST

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I swung by Newbury Comics...

I love how there's no explanation for the Deltron record. :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DammitJanet posted:

I love how there's no explanation for the Deltron record. :allears:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I make no excuses about picking up either the Al Green or Deltron

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Chim posted:

the ghibli compilation is fantastic. hopefully they decide to press the full scores soon. id kill for the spirited away OST

Speaking of, there was some teasing they were going to do Jurassic Park next. We heard anything more about that?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Those cut-down comic boxes would work just fine, although there are also these, which are specifically designed for that purpose. They don't offer much in the way of aesthetics, but they'd be good candidates for all those free stickers you get when ordering records from labels.

That being said, I found a shelf for free next to someone's trash can. I'd been cruising down alleys near a campus at the end of a semester, which is always a good time and place to find free stuff; it's amazing what college kids will just throw away. I think it was made for books, but it works pretty great for 7"s. The piles of green paper beneath it are alphabetical dividers I made, which our two-year-old pulled out and semi-destroyed. drat kids! :argh:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Contributed to Stanton Moore's indiegogo campaign for his new jazz album. Gonna get 1 of 100 vinyl pressings for my contribution, should have it by April :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Goatmask posted:

Speaking of, there was some teasing they were going to do Jurassic Park next. We heard anything more about that?

haven't heard anything more about it, but obviously it is an instant pre order if it's true. I'm excited for Mondo to venture away from the horror soundtracks and into new territories. Could you imagine if they repressed Lost in Translation, or pressed Eternal Sunshine OST (in icy white clear vinyl, obviously) or decided to tackle Wes Anderson movies? Seriously, does nobody really believe that a vinyl release of the soundtracks for Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic or Moonrise Kingdom (check out the prices for the 10") wouldn't be instant purchases by most?