Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've noticed lately the AI saving AP for use in more expensive powers. Saving green for Thunderclap instead of Wolvies slash, or red for IM40's nuke over Mjolnir. Did it always do this and I hadn't noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I've noticed lately the AI saving AP for use in more expensive powers. Saving green for Thunderclap instead of Wolvies slash, or red for IM40's nuke over Mjolnir. Did it always do this and I hadn't noticed?

As far as I can tell, the AI will use the most expensive ability it can. So if they get a burst of AP that let's them thunderclap, they'll use it over a feral claws.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has anyone submitted a ticket and gotten any responses in the last week? It's like their entire support crew dropped dead.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Russad posted:

AI Spider-man actually does cycle through your characters, by default, because a stunned character goes to the back for you no matter what. And AI Rags doesn't really go infinite, because the AI won't use an ability more than once per turn.

I mean, he doesn't' lock your whole team in one go. He fires when he can only make a single match, which gives you (or him) time to destroy web tiles or kill him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Russad posted:

As far as I can tell, the AI will use the most expensive ability it can. So if they get a burst of AP that let's them thunderclap, they'll use it over a feral claws.

No, I mean it'll hold off on using feral claws while it has 8 green AP.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Karnegal posted:

I mean, he doesn't' lock your whole team in one go. He fires when he can only make a single match, which gives you (or him) time to destroy web tiles or kill him.

Sure, but I still find an AI Spider-man more threatening than pre-nerf Rag. Rag will fire, at most, 2 abilities. Spider-man, depending on who he stuns first, can be extremely difficult to deal with if he gains any traction. Especially with those nasty protect tiles that you HAVE to deal with. If SM manages to get some stuns off, their team can and will go infinite on you. Rags would just deal damage and be an annoyance.

All bets are off with PVE Rags, though, due to ridiculous level scaling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eddain posted:

Isn't that Godlike Power?
Godlike Power is just two columns straight down - I meant more like a lightning crack pattern where it starts one column and splits off into branches on the way down to draw a shape - like this:

SpclKen posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Magneto now build? I just got 2 red covers and I am already 1/1/3.

Also the IronMan 40 I have is 4/2/2. I am struggling to have a plan on this one I just don't think any of them are good... I was thinking 5/5/3 though to keep the yellow cheap.
Magneto - Purple should be a 5 because you can create a crit out of nothing, and placing coloured tiles is a really strong skill. Red should be at least a 4 to get its countdown to 1 turn, 5 if you want a bigger bang for slightly more cost. The higher Blue goes the less reliable it is since the countdown keeps increasing - I would say 4 at most, since destroying the whole board sounds really impressive, but you have to wait four turns for it to go off and it uses Magneto's attack skill for every destroyed tile so that damage increase isn't very impressive. Mine's 4/5/4 and I quite like him.

Model 40 is definitely 5/5/3 unless you have a purple team to use him with, in which case 5/4/4. The other option is to go 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 since Recharge is his main strength and the number of matches to activate it increases by one (until level 3) which slows down your ability to bootstrap a Red or Blue ability with it.

Bruceski posted:

No, I mean it'll hold off on using feral claws while it has 8 green AP.
I've seen this recently as well and it actually seems to have made it even easier because it was saving red AP for a Unibeam instead of spending it on Thunderclap.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

SynthOrange posted:

Has anyone submitted a ticket and gotten any responses in the last week? It's like their entire support crew dropped dead.

I got an immediate response to unlinking my facebook a couple weeks back (which didn't work), i've submitted three tickets over the last week and haven't had any replies at all yet.

They done broke their poo poo.

e: the AI is also apparently saving up for Forest Fire on the jungle level, i've had many matches where they don't go for the extra AP at all. Of course with most matches lasting 5 rounds he never gets to use it, I'm not complaining!

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
I finally got my first Spiderman blue cover in the previous Double Shot tournament. I've been terrified of spending my Hero Points on abilities since the classic Storm nerf, so I have like 8000 of them. I briefly considered spending a few to upgrade Spiderman's blue power, but today's nerf reminded me why I shouldn't.

I wonder how many new owners of Spiderman's blue cover are going to regret upgrading it in a few days/weeks. (If I were wearing my tinfoil hat, I think they wouldn't nerf Spiderman until they had extracted as many dollars as possible out of people upgrading his blue power; I find it highly coincidental that it is a reward for this weeks tournaments...)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

8000 points? :stare: There's being prudent, then there's being paranoid.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just got an IM 40 cover for my 250 pt reward heroic! Oh wait it's another red bring my IM 40 to 3/2/0, all I want is a point in yellow for his useful ability.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fought up to 400 or so on Double Shot (up to 16, won't last) for the HP. I used my Wolverine and Spidey on my last match to not make myself an easy "I'm using storm, kill me" target. Planning to use those HP to shield myself into the top 45 with ideally a top 15 finish. Doubt I'll be able to push myself up to top 5 territory.

So how do you guys farm ISO? Once you clean up the PVE missions is there any reliable way / team to get more? Spidey/Wolverine/Daken (whenever possible) sweeps PVE nicely and let's me basically play nonstop thanks to all their healing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^^ 85 Wolverine/77 Spiderman/X Anybody lets me pretty much play forever so, that's an average of 85 ISO per match, a match is probably 2-3 minutes or less so 2550-1700 ISO/Hour. So yeah, working for less than minimum wage, but not too much. And that ignores pushing you into high rankings with prizes.

Dicking around, I realized that I hadn't extracted all the value from the story missions. There's still a little HC, a bunch of ISO, and a poo poo ton of bad covers left, but I cleaned up the basic recruit tokens (11). I figured I'd list what I got because I always like seeing what other people get out of big batches:

Black Widow Modern - Purple
Black Widow Modern - Blue
Doctor Doom Classic - Blue :woop:
Storm Modern - Black
Iron Man Model 35 - Blue
Juggernaut Classic - Red
Juggernaut Classic - Red
Hawkeye Classic - Red
Yelena Belova - Purple
Storm Modern - Green
Storm Modern - Green

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 10, 2014

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone else have AP problems when using IM40? I just used web bandages and lost red AP. And I forget which, but either IM40's red doesn't drain blue AP, or blue doesn't drain red.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Well, the massive point inflation from shields has made it pretty easy to climb the SHIELD versus mountain. Finally went and got the Spidey blue and Grey Widow green, and was delighted to see that a lot of people near the top had switched to Bag Man tanking teams after getting what they wanted. If you've been waiting to do this, now seems like a good time.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is anyone bothering to level their X factor wolverine? He sucks now but I feel like maybe they'll do an event with him or patch him to be good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I levelled mine a bit until I got more 3-star covers to spend ISO on, but I really don't recommend it. He's level 60 now but still completely worthless. His max attack stats are not significantly higher than a 3-star's but his max level is almost double, which means that until you hit level 100+ he's significantly weaker than a level 40-50 1-star character. That wouldn't be a huge problem for a support character, but his strike tiles are so absurdly weak that all he can really accomplish is taking up a slot.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

beergod posted:

Is anyone bothering to level their X factor wolverine? He sucks now but I feel like maybe they'll do an event with him or patch him to be good.

How many covers do you have? I wouldn't spend time on 4 stars unless I had a lot because they're so rare. That said, I have significantly more Invisible Woman (4) and X-Factor Wolverine (3) than Classic Magneto (0)

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

RIP Ragnarok

Goodnight sweet prince.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Eddain posted:

I really hate when IAP games change things you can buy with real money. Buying random tokens is one thing, but directly buying a skill and then later having that skill nerfed is terrible. If I were to buy Spidey's lvl 5 blue right now and next week it gets nerfed to 4 AP or something I'd be furious.

The fact that you think IAP abilities should be immune to nerfs in a multiplayer game is insane. Ragnarok was absolutely tedious and lovely to play against, and all the people freaking out because they dropped dollars to buff his crazy op abilities should probably think a little harder about their future purchases.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a resource about character powers? Like what upgrades they get for each level per power?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's the first line in the OP.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Varinn posted:

The fact that you think IAP abilities should be immune to nerfs in a multiplayer game is insane. Ragnarok was absolutely tedious and lovely to play against, and all the people freaking out because they dropped dollars to buff his crazy op abilities should probably think a little harder about their future purchases.

I think everything should be immune to nerfs and everything else should've been buffed to make Thunderclap seem average. :colbert:

That way the value of whatever you bought never directly decreases.

For the people who play the Marvel Avengers Alliance game on Facebook or Playdom it's essentially the same thing. They release something obviously overpowered, on purpose, and then PVP becomes a total clusterfuck if you don't have the item/character. But after the initial month or so passes they nerf it to the ground after most people have spent real money (or the equivalent in-game currency) on those purchases.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 10, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a resource about character powers? Like what upgrades they get for each level per power?

:negative:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Yellow Bagman from my 250 point token.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Eddain posted:

I think everything should be immune to nerfs and everything else should've been buffed to make Thunderclap seem average. :colbert:

For the people who play the Marvel Avengers Alliance game on Facebook or Playdom it's essentially the same thing. They release something obviously overpowered, on purpose, and then PVP becomes a total clusterfuck if you don't have the item/character. But after the initial month or so passes they nerf it to the ground after most people have spent real money (or the equivalent in-game currency) on those purchases.

I don't think you have a good sense of how busted Rags red was. Yes, buffing worse things into alignment with better things is generally better, but when you really overshoot, you can't reasonably do that.

EDIT: were there any notes about taking shields out of SHIELD training?

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 10, 2014

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Eddain posted:

Ignoring the fact that changing all the other abilities isn't even equivalent (because it moves the balance point relative to character health, meaning that they'd have to increase character health, and then match damage has to increase as well), it does not make any sense at all to change SEVENTY-SEVEN other abilities, each of which could potentially be a new balance issue or have implementation problems. And, honestly, given the way they removed the cost scaling per level, there isn't even an all-buff change that's equivalent to the change they made.

The worst part is that the fact that you have to make the "never directly decreases" distinction suggests that you're aware that buffing everything except X is the same thing as nerfing X (decreasing x's relative value), which means that you're aware that your actual complaint isn't even about the change but rather about your perception of the change. You're insisting that the devs should have done a thing that's equivalent to the thing they did but requires at least seventy-seven times as much work (and probably much more)... to what end? So you will feel like your imaginary thunder god robot is still as powerful as he used to be even though he very clearly isn't? How much self delusion do you have to apply for this to even work?

A game is a complex system, and a video game many, many times moreso. The version of a balance change that requires touching the fewest game elements is always the best version of that change.

EDIT:

Karnegal posted:

I don't think you have a good sense of how busted Rags red was. Yes, buffing worse things into alignment with better things is generally better....

No, it isn't better. In the best case scenario, it's an equivalent result, usually for many times as much work. How is that better, and for whom?

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 10, 2014

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

IAmUnaware posted:

Ignoring the fact that changing all the other abilities isn't even equivalent (because it moves the balance point relative to character health, meaning that they'd have to increase character health, and then match damage has to increase as well), it does not make any sense at all to change SEVENTY-SEVEN other abilities, each of which could potentially be a new balance issue or have implementation problems. And, honestly, given the way they removed the cost scaling per level, there isn't even an all-buff change that's equivalent to the change they made.

The worst part is that the fact that you have to make the "never directly decreases" distinction suggests that you're aware that buffing everything except X is the same thing as nerfing X (decreasing x's relative value), which means that you're aware that your actual complaint isn't even about the change but rather about your perception of the change.
[...]

So you will feel like your imaginary thunder god robot is still as powerful as he used to be even though he very clearly isn't? How much self delusion do you have to apply for this to even work?

I think rags should have been nerfed and I agree with most of what you said but I just want to point out that the experience of fun when playing a game is a feeling that may not be tied into the logical truths of relative strengths. I think buffing everything to be in line with rags could be a perfectly fine solution that leaves everyone happy, if other parts of the game system were working properly (desirability and effect of non-AP boosts, defensive lockdowns, etc.). As it is I probably make under 15 matches on average for most victories, and frequently less than 5, which is not a lot for a match 3 game, so nerfing rags is the right thing to do rather than go down a design path that basically eliminates the matching component of the game.

If you want an analogy to this you can look at league of legends or diablo 3 who apply cognitive science to make the best "feeling" choices, and not just the simplest logically equivalent choice.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 10, 2014

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

IAmUnaware posted:

No, it isn't better. In the best case scenario, it's an equivalent result, usually for many times as much work. How is that better, and for whom?
It's better for the manager who instructed the game's live team to monetize it more. The only reason this game exists is to generate revenue for Bandai Namco, hope this helps your understanding of the decisions made by the "devs"

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I don't like the nerf and even I have to agree that it was needed. Rags didn't make fights easier, he made them effortless even outside of lightning rounds. Match reds a couple of times (or use boosts) and then SMASH SMASH SMASH NYURRRRRRRRGH NYURRRRRRRGH SMASH SMASH NYURRRRRRGH web the last guy standing if that's even needed.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm holding onto my Bagman because at this rate they're going to buff him to be the most powerful character in the game

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

IAmUnaware posted:

It is better from a design stand point. When you make someone else characters better, you improve overall balance, but no one feels like their guy was singled out to lose. Yes, the effect is the same in that a greater balance is achieved, but the guys who had the busted character doesn't feel lovely. His guy is still good, it's just that other guys are good as well.

Look at it this way. We could make the game balanced by making everyone as lovely as Bagman. Now, I don't have a lot of fun playing Bagman. I tried when I was a new player and he's not just bad in relation to other characters, but just not fun generally. Or take Invisible Woman, she has a cool kit, but you never get to use it because the costs are loving abysmal. Now let's take a character who is fun but not busted like the Punisher. We could just inflate all of his costs so that you're paying 12 for a Molotov or 16 for his red, but then he isn't fun anymore. You're never doing anything aside from making normal matches. Yes, functionally we made things balanced. I could pick either character, but why would I care? I don't even want to play at that point. Or, we could go the other direction and significantly reduce Invisible Woman's costs. Now I have a choice of a different play style that might be fun to use because suddenly half my team isn't dead before her abilities are on line. Balance isn't just about abstract balance. We could make characters perfectly balanced, the fun is in the asymmetry, which is inherently hard to balance. Having unique ways of playing with different teams is what makes it fun. But if all of the characters are just lovely then it doesn't matter if they're balanced or not because who wants to play? The goal is to make characters balanced enough that people feel like they have multiple choices that are fun to play. Right now, I have plenty of characters that I could play (I have 29/30 of the cast), but I only use about 5 because the others are too weak to warrant play outside of special tournaments.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
NEW EVENT AND NEW HERO!

Unfortunately, Ares is weird and also a R/G/Y hero

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Now that my Thor is in his forties, is there any reason to hang on to my L48 Model 35 or is it safe to sell him for a bunch of ISO (and free up a roster slot in the process)?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I haven't seen a single Ragnarok since he was "balanced". Job well done, dev team :thumbsup:

This doesn't even make sense from a business perspective: everyone's back to Thor now but he's as free as you get, while Ragnarok is was a gold mine. If it's not greed, then what? Incompetence?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Decrease Rag's HP, give him another skill, and call it a day

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So Ares is the Greek god of War and Violence.

What is his story in the Marvel universe?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

NEW EVENT AND NEW HERO!

Unfortunately, Ares is weird and also a R/G/Y hero

It kind of sucks that it's another R/G/Y hero but at least there is one for Dark Avengers tournaments now.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
poo poo, just noticed that the first batch of events are non-repeatable. Best to save those until late in the time frame. Shouldn't be a big deal since this is a 9.5 day deal, but watch out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Ares, eh? Let's see what the official forums' verdict on his abilities is:

quote:

I don't see the appeal for Ares.

Green attack that GIVE green PA to the enemy.
Red attack that give x2 damage if Ares is below 20% hp.
Yellow attack that also damage you

There are already too many 2-stars big-hitters that use the same colors. I don't need another one.
Oh. :stare: Another instant 125-ISO sale, I guess.