Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

When can you get paid on the majority of the rest? Mid year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

His calculation was with just doing 8 hours plus Saturdays. 10 hours is a drat lot once you cut out lunch, internet, and coffee breaks. Still it's what I want to do right now so I'm going for it.

It was in response to the "If you hit 10 hours a day you're looking real good!", the point is your still not being realistic in what you can achieve. Or it might be you're setting targets then not taking them seriously in a "oh well, it'll be right" sort of way.

Setting goals way too high is either going to make you feel like poo poo because you can't meet them, or you won't take them seriously because they're unrealistic.

Like I keep bringing up, you have a terrible habit of massively overestimating your potential earnings, while massively underestimating your costs (the holiday).

If doing 10 hours a day seems like it's getting to be too much for you, then working 6 days a week isn't going to be much better.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 9, 2014

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
gently caress that noise. Billed 10 today.

spwrozek posted:

When can you get paid on the majority of the rest? Mid year?
Correct.

I'm tightening my belt to the tune of $500 a month toward this. Thanks for the sweet graphic!

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Slow Motion posted:

That's great! Keep it up! Remember: the sooner you get out of debt, the sooner you can reallocate that portion of your budget to fun things (and also retirement).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Slow Motion posted:

Correct.

I'm tightening my belt to the tune of $500 a month toward this. Thanks for the sweet graphic!

Yeah, but those funds are unbudgeted. As are your planned vacation(s), and other unexpected spending (alternator, whatever). You should have a line item for debt payments above the minimum. Otherwise future you will see $500 unspent each month and forget why it should go to debt instead of treating yourself.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Slow Motion posted:

:woop:
Keep it up, man. You can do this. Stay motivated and think of all that sweet cash. You're steps closer to financial freedom.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Cicero posted:

edit: For example, NYC vs the cheapest hip city in the US, Austin:

Where'd you get this from? I'm curious about my city.

EDIT: Not the same, but this works.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Damnit Slow Motion. I'm glad you're getting your poo poo together, but now Amazon thinks I want fireflies in my room.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Grumpwagon posted:

Where'd you get this from? I'm curious about my city.

EDIT: Not the same, but this works.
Numbeo

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Bugamol posted:

Damnit Slow Motion. I'm glad you're getting your poo poo together, but now Amazon thinks I want fireflies in my room.

Putting fireflies in your room is one of the best decisions you will ever make.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Hey Slomo. I've said a lot of mean things, but I'm glad you're doing it. Stay on track.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Come on SloMo, you can do it!

I've suffered from depression, and it always takes a hit on my productivity. Hopefully this isn't just a manic phase, make sure you're keeping healthy and not working yourself too thin. Sleep more, internet less.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
FWIW, I really like the quality of light given off by string lights. It goes well with getting stoned, too.

But I thought fireflies moved and slowly blinked on and off? C'mon, let's take this to the next level here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

moana posted:

Sleep more, internet less.

This really good advice for all goons. Humans need proper amounts of sleep, we tend to go insane without it.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Slow Motion posted:

Putting fireflies in your room is one of the best decisions you will ever make.
Speaking of good decisions, how many hours did you bill for Jan 10?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Fiedler posted:

Speaking of good decisions, how many hours did you bill for Jan 10?

I pulled down 7. To compensate I'm in early this morning.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Slow Motion posted:

Did you put in any on Saturday?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Slow Motion posted:

So, to verify, 52 billable hours total for the month as of end of day January 12th?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Did you put in any on Saturday?

Nope.

Fiedler posted:

So, to verify, 52 billable hours total for the month as of end of day January 12th?

That's correct. I'm pumped for this coming week. It's going to be a productive one.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

You realize that most people in the financial industry put at least some time in over the weekend, right?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bloody Queef posted:

You realize that most people in the financial industry put at least some time in over the weekend, right?

Most would be a gross exaggeration, bloody queef. Most investment bankers do though. Finance is a pretty wide industry

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

That's correct. I'm pumped for this coming week. It's going to be a productive one.

You're going to have to do some big days, every day, for the rest of the month to bring your average up though after the last week of mostly 7's and no Saturday though.

Like I said before, you're greatly over-estimating what you can do, and you're falling well short of your goals in reality and to re-iterate it again, you're either going to fell like poo poo because you can't meet them or not take them seriously because you'll never get there anyway.

Pretty much every post with your billable hours so far has been "Only did X today, but I'll make it up tomorrow/weekend" then you don't make it later.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Vomik posted:

Most would be a gross exaggeration, bloody queef. Most investment bankers do though. Finance is a pretty wide industry

True, but SloMo is in financial consulting or financial services (which I meant to type above) if I'm remembering the beginnings of the thread correctly. Those guys for the most part work many weekends out of the year.... At least the successful ones do.

Did we ever get an indication of exactly what consulting services SloMo does? We know that he's not working Big 4 because they wouldn't tolerate those pathetically low billable hours and SloMo has a different compensation model.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 13, 2014

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Rudager posted:

You're going to have to do some big days, every day, for the rest of the month to bring your average up though after the last week of mostly 7's and no Saturday though.

Like I said before, you're greatly over-estimating what you can do, and you're falling well short of your goals in reality and to re-iterate it again, you're either going to fell like poo poo because you can't meet them or not take them seriously because you'll never get there anyway.

Pretty much every post with your billable hours so far has been "Only did X today, but I'll make it up tomorrow/weekend" then you don't make it later.

I think you and I have very different approaches to goals, effort, and achieving success. If I were to bill 7 hours a day every work day I would get out of debt in a right hurry. I'm proud of 7s. I'd like 10s though. I'll effort towards 10 and reality will fall somewhere in the middle. And I'll laugh all the way to bank.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slow Motion posted:

I think you and I have very different approaches to goals, effort, and achieving success. If I were to bill 7 hours a day every work day I would get out of debt in a right hurry. I'm proud of 7s. I'd like 10s though. I'll effort towards 10 and reality will fall somewhere in the middle. And I'll laugh all the way to bank.

I don't believe now is the time to get cocky, tough guy.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

Slow Motion posted:

18 was the total from Friday + Sunday + Monday. I'm going to kick the daily target up to 10 for weekdays.

Thanks for proving my point, you set a goal for 10/day in this thread, and you've now realised that's way too much, so now you're not taking that goal seriously.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't believe now is the time to get cocky, tough guy.

He's not being cocky, it's a manic phase, and it'll probably got for another week or so.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Rudager posted:

Thanks for proving my point, you set a goal for 10/day in this thread, and you've now realised that's way too much, so now you're not taking that goal seriously.

I came up with 10 as a goal on the same Monday I mentioned my total from the previous four days. The chronology there makes it not much of a 'gotcha'.

But you're right it is an ambitious goal that I'm not likely to hit every day. But on the days I do hit it It will be because I didn't say "sweet, I hit 7 I'm going home now".

I find setting high goals to be really effective that way. What would you do instead?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Most people's goal is to actually reach their, uh, goal. They don't say "my goal is 10 but I worked more than 7, that's a success!" They set a goal of 10 hours and work 10 hours, or of 8.5 hours and work 8.5 hours.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Anne Whateley posted:

Most people's goal is to actually reach their, uh, goal. They don't say "my goal is 10 but I worked more than 7, that's a success!" They set a goal of 10 hours and work 10 hours, or of 8.5 hours and work 8.5 hours.

And under this scenario you might not just go home after 8.5 hours because maybe you work 11 and either count that as extra, or know you can go home 2.5 hours early on Friday or whatever.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Slow Motion posted:

I came up with 10 as a goal on the same Monday I mentioned my total from the previous four days. The chronology there makes it not much of a 'gotcha'.

What? You set a goal for 10 no matter how you came about it.

Slow Motion posted:

But you're right it is an ambitious goal that I'm not likely to hit every day. But on the days I do hit it It will be because I didn't say "sweet, I hit 7 I'm going home now".

I find setting high goals to be really effective that way. What would you do instead?

So would you say that setting this goal of 10/day has increased your productivity?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slow Motion posted:

Set realistic but obtainable goals. 10 hours a day doesn't appear to be either of those for you, so maybe you should adjust accordingly.

Or spend some money on therapy and realize that "Work hard, play hard" is a terrible life philosophy that will lead you to the exact situation that you're in.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A pretty critical requirement for successful goal-setting is that your goals be attainable and reasonable. You're like a dude walking into a gym the first time looking to bench 225.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
In terms of project management, one of the first things they talk about is the fact that teams that struggle to complete their goals feel demoralized and no longer work towards attaining higher goals. If you're already barely making 10 hours, just set your goal for 7 hours and start from there. You're only setting yourself up for failure.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Rudager posted:

So would you say that setting this goal of 10/day has increased your productivity?

Yes, tremendously.

tuyop posted:

A pretty critical requirement for successful goal-setting is that your goals be attainable and reasonable. You're like a dude walking into a gym the first time looking to bench 225.

That's a pretty good analogy. I have a goal of benching 225. I'm not going to worry that I only benched 180 today. 180 is a good step toward 225. I'll lift again tomorrow.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Slow Motion posted:

That's a pretty good analogy. I have a goal of benching 225. I'm not going to worry that I only benched 180 today. 180 is a good step toward 225. I'll lift again tomorrow.

That's a bad analogy unless you'll forever be happy with your 225 goal even if you never get there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well no, the goal is to bench 225 today, the first day you touch a barbell. Just like how ten hours was your goal today.

Have you ever set a goal that you thought was ambitious but attainable and failed to achieve it? How did that make you feel?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I think this is being a bit nitpicky. If he doesn't have any issues with not hitting his goal, and recognizes that his "real" goal is 7-8 hours, I don't think there will be any long-term negative consequences on his morale for it. I mean, he should be realistic that 7-8 hours is a good, sustainable amount to hit, but it seems like he does realize that. What I'm hearing for him is more like "I'd like to hit 10 hours, but would be happy with 7". And that would be more than enough to erase his debt, especially once he moves into a cheaper place and doesn't let his spending increase once he does htat.

I absolutely do agree that in general, "work hard, play hard" is not a good life philosophy, and it was one that SloMo has held onto for far too long, but I don't think this is necessarily representative of that, since he doesn't seem disappointed that he doesn't actually hit 10 hours ever.

waffle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 13, 2014

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

waffle posted:

I think this is being a bit nitpicky. If he doesn't have any issues with not hitting his goal, and recognizes that his "real" goal is 7-8 hours, I don't think there will be any long-term negative consequences on his morale for it. I mean, he should be realistic that 7-8 hours is a good, sustainable amount to hit, but it seems like he does realize that.

I absolutely do agree that in general, "work hard, play hard" is not a good life philosophy, and it was one that SloMo has held onto for far too long, but I don't think this is necessarily representative of that, since he doesn't seem disappointed that he doesn't actually hit 10 hours ever.

Sure - So long as he realizes that by working only 7 instead of 10 hours, it will affect his bonus and he cant make plans around what a 10 hours/day bonus payout would look like, even if he swears NEXT month he'll totally make up for this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

SloMo, can you recap what it is you actually do for those 10 hours? Is it processing files? Writing documents? Answering emails?

• Locked thread