Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
My parents were crazy cat people (until they found huskies/giant cats you can take hiking), and at one point we topped out at seven. They made the rookie hoarder mistake of finding a cat who had three kittens and then totally resolving to give them away once they were weaned (nope). :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson
I'm super frustrated with my cat's health (and I'm sure if he could talk, he would be too). He was diagnosed with IBD, which of course translates to "dunno." He's improved significantly over the last several months since being diagnosed, but I fear things are going downhill again with some weight loss and "sad belly" meows, as I call them, right after eating.

Does anyone else have an IDB cat with long-term drugs? I'm super interested in what has worked for other people's cats and how you track their health. I know all cats are different, but I'm frustrated and scared that the current treatment for Oreohead doesn't appear to be working. Prednisone seemed to be working out, but the vets told me long-term treatment with prednisone can lead to other problems like liver disease or diabetes. I'd love to hear some IBD success stories to get my spirits up. :(

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Just a quick update on my guy: Vet said the lethargy and lack of appetite was from the vaccines. He's got a little fever, again from vaccinations. They checked his bladder, penis and urethra no crystals or blockage. They checked his colon and there was normal feces in there, no dry and hard. Vet suggested that we try to get more fluid in him with diluted low sodium chicken broth and diluted water from a tuna can. Vet also recommended lysine in the diet. They gave him a drip and some steroids to fight the the lethargy. They said he was one of the most cooperative cats they've worked with! They loved him up and he didn't put a fight with all the prodding. He just a got a little pissy when they put a finger up his butt, can't blame him.

He came home and was fed dinner with some diluted chicken broth (mixed with lysine) and his normal food. He inhaled the food, no yowling or scratching and has been snoozing mostly since he has a little fever. He's purring and loving the affection and not hiding anymore. My heart is back at a normal pace and I can finally breathe!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Update on my Stanley after the whole Piperazine OD; She's fine now. Probably better, in fact. She's very affectionate since her whole experience. Because apparently;

quote:

Urban Dictionary.com
Piperazine is a drug that belongs to the family of medicines called anthelmintics. These medicines are used in the treatment of worm infections (roundworms, pinworms). In the past few years, illegal drug manufactures have used piperazine in the production of ecstasy tablets as a cheap substitution. These manufacturers are mostly concentrated in Canada, where the drug is legal and over-the-counter. Piperazine is an ideal choice for making fake ecstasy because of the similarity in taste, and at certain doses, a user may experience favorable side effects and feel “high.”

I'll keep her away from dead mice and glow sticks.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010

baxxy posted:

I'm super frustrated with my cat's health (and I'm sure if he could talk, he would be too). He was diagnosed with IBD, which of course translates to "dunno." He's improved significantly over the last several months since being diagnosed, but I fear things are going downhill again with some weight loss and "sad belly" meows, as I call them, right after eating.

Does anyone else have an IDB cat with long-term drugs? I'm super interested in what has worked for other people's cats and how you track their health. I know all cats are different, but I'm frustrated and scared that the current treatment for Oreohead doesn't appear to be working. Prednisone seemed to be working out, but the vets told me long-term treatment with prednisone can lead to other problems like liver disease or diabetes. I'd love to hear some IBD success stories to get my spirits up. :(

My little black monster Cracker has idiopathic IBD (possibly food allergies, but they can't tell for sure so meh) and she's currently on 5mg prednisone every other day and has been for two years now. She is an endless ball of yowling energy who thinks that all food is for her (which is where the food allergies sometimes come in) and goes to the vets for a checkup every three months.

What we found helps her is cutting out most of the foodstuffs that can commonly cause allergies from her diet. Wet food wise she gets exclusively fish now (we give her meds in her wet food because grinding the pills up and sprinking them in her food was far easier than pilling her directly) and she gets a hypo-allergenic dry cat food in either turkey or ocean fish (James Wellbeloved in the UK). Since we got her on all this she's gone from a cat who cried most times she used the litter box and had blood in her poop every other day to, well, a cat with more or less normal litter box habits (aside from her trying to drag plastic bags onto the box to cover it when she's done...) So there is hope :) Hopefully you and your vets will work out the right treatment for your cat.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
So ignoring her worked for a few days and I was able to get a good night's sleep until this morning when she decided that of she didn't have her treats right this second, then she would just launch herself into the window face first until it shattered or she got her way. She is an absolute lunatic.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Coconut Indian posted:

So ignoring her worked for a few days and I was able to get a good night's sleep until this morning when she decided that of she didn't have her treats right this second, then she would just launch herself into the window face first until it shattered or she got her way. She is an absolute lunatic.

Keep it up, don't give in to her fuzzy terrorist demands! It took a good two weeks of playing the "I am asleep, no matter how many times you step on my throat" game with our cats before they gave up on having us as 4am playmates. It is frustrating as hell, but just keep going and hopefully soon it will learn.

You can never stop the crazy though, because cat. Have you considered a treat ball that you can fill with food at night to keep her fed/occupied?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Update on my Stanley after the whole Piperazine OD; She's fine now. Probably better, in fact. She's very affectionate since her whole experience. Because apparently;

I'll keep her away from dead mice and glow sticks.

As an old raver I can tell you that Pipes are just the worst kind of fake X you can find. That stuff is just pure deadly...its also SUPER easy to OD on the stuff so I am happy your furry friend is doing better.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I had a problem with chirpy cats... ear plugs, ladies and gentlemen, earplugs. Been using them to sleep since my senior year in the dorms at uni with complete assbags, and they work a treat.

Now my concern: Despite my best efforts, I have had no luck getting my tabby cat (about 9 months old, spayed female) to scratch anything that I want her to scratch. The old recliner that my mum gave me is showing noticeable damage and she's also done good work on my overstuffed chair as well as my cheap faux-leather ottoman and small table. She also horizontally scratches my carpet (which is a firm, tight knit) from time to time. My hyper little tuxedo kitten is better - he seems to use the post covered in soft carpet most of the time but I sometimes see him using that chair. I've a soft carpet scratching post, one of those s-shaped things that is partially hard carpet and partially sisal, and one of those sort-of-tree-bark things that hangs from a doorknob and she doesn't seem to care about any of them.

I'd rather not get a cat tree as money is tight for me right now and they take up a lot of room (also a good chance that I will be moving in May/June), but I'm not sure what to do. I bought a big spray bottle of no-scratch training spray or whatever, but I'm not sure if that does any good. Maybe a cardboard horizontal scratcher, even though she scratches vertically most of the time?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I had a problem with chirpy cats... ear plugs, ladies and gentlemen, earplugs. Been using them to sleep since my senior year in the dorms at uni with complete assbags, and they work a treat.

Now my concern: Despite my best efforts, I have had no luck getting my tabby cat (about 9 months old, spayed female) to scratch anything that I want her to scratch. The old recliner that my mum gave me is showing noticeable damage and she's also done good work on my overstuffed chair as well as my cheap faux-leather ottoman and small table. She also horizontally scratches my carpet (which is a firm, tight knit) from time to time. My hyper little tuxedo kitten is better - he seems to use the post covered in soft carpet most of the time but I sometimes see him using that chair. I've a soft carpet scratching post, one of those s-shaped things that is partially hard carpet and partially sisal, and one of those sort-of-tree-bark things that hangs from a doorknob and she doesn't seem to care about any of them.

I'd rather not get a cat tree as money is tight for me right now and they take up a lot of room (also a good chance that I will be moving in May/June), but I'm not sure what to do. I bought a big spray bottle of no-scratch training spray or whatever, but I'm not sure if that does any good. Maybe a cardboard horizontal scratcher, even though she scratches vertically most of the time?

I fought and fought and fought myself and my fiance to not declaw my cats as I found it mean, but I also like having nice stuff and be free of claw marks. Try putting Aluminum Foil on things you don't want scratched or double sided tape, and watch for when the cat uses the correct things for scratching and reward them with play or treats. If those ideas don't work then you can always try Softpaws or declawing...

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I fought and fought and fought myself and my fiance to not declaw my cats as I found it mean, but I also like having nice stuff and be free of claw marks. Try putting Aluminum Foil on things you don't want scratched or double sided tape, and watch for when the cat uses the correct things for scratching and reward them with play or treats. If those ideas don't work then you can always try Softpaws or declawing...

Seriously? Declawing is an "option" for a scratchy cat? Here's a better idea, how about give the cat away and get a hamster instead if your couch is important enough to you to cut the fingertips off of another living being. It's not just "mean", it's cruelty and mutilation and in many places it's also illegal. Cats will scratch, sometimes they can be convinced to do it where you want, but not always. If you can't handle that, you cant handle cat.

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Sareini posted:

My little black monster Cracker has idiopathic IBD (possibly food allergies, but they can't tell for sure so meh) and she's currently on 5mg prednisone every other day and has been for two years now. She is an endless ball of yowling energy who thinks that all food is for her (which is where the food allergies sometimes come in) and goes to the vets for a checkup every three months.

What we found helps her is cutting out most of the foodstuffs that can commonly cause allergies from her diet. Wet food wise she gets exclusively fish now (we give her meds in her wet food because grinding the pills up and sprinking them in her food was far easier than pilling her directly) and she gets a hypo-allergenic dry cat food in either turkey or ocean fish (James Wellbeloved in the UK). Since we got her on all this she's gone from a cat who cried most times she used the litter box and had blood in her poop every other day to, well, a cat with more or less normal litter box habits (aside from her trying to drag plastic bags onto the box to cover it when she's done...) So there is hope :) Hopefully you and your vets will work out the right treatment for your cat.

Thanks! Things have improved since switching to the duck and pea diet, although he still cries pathetically when I won't give him anything else (he believes all food is for him, as well).

We tried switching Oreohead to the prednisone every other day and his poo quality almost immediately declined. I think it was 1/2 pill and I do believe they are 5mg pills, so I suppose 5mg every other day would be like me giving 1/2 pill daily, which is what we were doing when he was better. So 2 years of that and your cat hasn't had any other health problems? I'd be okay with taking him in every 3 months for checkups, but I am scared of the idea that it could cause liver damage or what-not. How old is Cracker? Oreohead is 12 1/2.

Stairs posted:

Seriously? Declawing is an "option" for a scratchy cat? Here's a better idea, how about give the cat away and get a hamster instead if your couch is important enough to you to cut the fingertips off of another living being. It's not just "mean", it's cruelty and mutilation and in many places it's also illegal. Cats will scratch, sometimes they can be convinced to do it where you want, but not always. If you can't handle that, you cant handle cat.

Also this. Get a fish if you love your furniture more than you love your pet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

baxxy posted:

I have actually put scratching posts in front of most of the corners of my furnature. My cat uses them, but she purpousely scratches the couch to get me to chase her. I know that I shouldn't chase her, but if I don't she'll scratch up the furnature... I'm pretty much screwed either way.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

baxxy posted:

Oh angry people on the internet telling me how to live my life and take care of my animals...oooo...seriously you know nothing of the situation, so say what you want about MY decision to remove MY cat's claws. No one has any issues neutering or spaying their animals, but judges others for declawing. Do you see the hilarious irony in that?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
No? Lots of people have vasectomies, very few people voluntarily have their fingers chopped off.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

tarbrush posted:

No? Lots of people have vasectomies, very few people voluntarily have their fingers chopped off.

Vasectomy is different as they don't remove the sexual organs. And considering YOU have a choice to remove YOUR ability to reproduce I think there is a difference here. Did your cat come to you and ask you to remove his testicles?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So I have a little 2-year-old long-haired floofmonster named Stella. I've only had her since September, so she is due for her first vet visit since I adopted her (the place she came from is a really great shelter that does full vet exams before any animal they adopt goes home, I've got the documentation of that checkup to prove it, so she already had a medical record. Despite this, I do still feel like a monster for not getting her an exam right away, don't worry).

Stella's got a little knot of matted fur on her chest, where she doesn't really let me brush for very long. I know I'm not supposed to cut the mat out with scissors, which I wouldn't do even if it was okay because she's a squirmy nutcase. I assume me using clippers would be bad too due to the aforementioned 'squirmy nutcase' reasoning. So, my questions are:

1) is it possible to brush this knot out? It doesn't feel like the usual matted fur to me, although I don't have a lot of experience with that.

2) Since a vet visit is imminent for her, is clipping out mats something a vet will do? I brush Stella every day, so a visit to a groomer for just this doesn't really seem worth the price in cat stress.

Edit: 3) actually, doesn't matted fur show on the top layer? This is more like a knot of fur and I have to dig for it. What am I even dealing with?

And because nobody doesn't like cat pictures:

Fortis fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

Oh angry people on the internet telling me how to live my life and take care of my animals...oooo...seriously you know nothing of the situation, so say what you want about MY decision to remove MY cat's claws. No one has any issues neutering or spaying their animals, but judges others for declawing. Do you see the hilarious irony in that?

You may not fully realize what declawing is. Look at your own fingers. You see how your nails are connected to the tips of your fingers, up to the first knuckle? To declaw a cat you have to literally cut their finger off at that knuckle. I don't care if it's YOUR cat, MY cat, or the PRESIDENTS cat, amputating part of a cats fingers so you can have a nicer living room set is loving sick.

There's no irony in this. Spaying is a relatively harmless procedure that helps prevent sexually transmitted cat disease, certain cancers, unwanted pregnancies, and extend the life of the cat. Declawing does none of those things and has been proven time and again to cause lasting psychological trauma, as well as rendering the cat unable to defend themselves on the off chance they got outside. It's wrong, it's sick and it's being phased out for a loving reason.

Seriously, just get a fish, gently caress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stairs posted:

There's no irony in this. Spaying is a relatively harmless procedure that helps prevent sexually transmitted cat disease, certain cancers, unwanted pregnancies, and extend the life of the cat. Declawing does none of those things and has been proven time and again to cause lasting psychological trauma, as well as rendering the cat unable to defend themselves on the off chance they got outside. It's wrong, it's sick and it's being phased out for a loving reason.

Declawed cats also tend to become biters big time due to the fact it's all they have left.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

You may not fully realize what declawing is. Look at your own fingers. You see how your nails are connected to the tips of your fingers, up to the first knuckle? To declaw a cat you have to literally cut their finger off at that knuckle. I don't care if it's YOUR cat, MY cat, or the PRESIDENTS cat, amputating part of a cats fingers so you can have a nicer living room set is loving sick.

Seriously, just get a fish, gently caress.

My wife is a vet tech...I know exactly what declawing is.

And I can go on a long rant about how you're wrong, you have no idea why I had to declaw my cats, and you're wrong. But instead I will just give you this and ask that you kindly gently caress off with your unreferenced soap boxing.

You're Wrong

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
You had to declaw your cats because you have them in a lovely environment. Papering over a symptom instead of addressing the root cause is going to lead you back in here in a few months when they're biting instead of clawing because you took that option away.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

My wife is a vet tech...I know exactly what declawing is.

And I can go on a long rant about how you're wrong, you have no idea why I had to declaw my cats, and you're wrong. But instead I will just give you this and ask that you kindly gently caress off with your unreferenced soap boxing.

You're Wrong

Yeah? Well my mom is a zoo keeper. You know what that makes me? Not a zoo keeper.
You aren't a vet tech, you aren't a good debater, and you aren't a very good person if you still support something like this with no other argument that "la la la I believe this and I don't care what the experts say!" Also, for the record, a vet tech isn't considered an expert in matters of pet psychology, so trying to use your wife's credentials is laughable at best. Keep your stupid Cat Hitler opinions if they help you justify being a douche, but do the animal kingdom a favor and don't tell other people who are trying to find non invasive ways to help their pets that amputating their bodies is a great option.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

You had to declaw your cats because you have them in a lovely environment. Papering over a symptom instead of addressing the root cause is going to lead you back in here in a few months when they're biting instead of clawing because you took that option away.

More unsolicited advice from someone making assumptions? Oh joy! Do I need to link you to Dr. Cox too?

I declawed my cats over 3 years ago now, and since they were ALWAYS biters nothing has changed there.

Again, rather than spay or neuter your cat you could just treat the symptoms without mutilation, but this isn't about your decision to have a home free of marking and blood. Its about my decision to declaw my cats for reasons that still haven't been disclosed only inferred.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JustJeff88 posted:

Don't declaw, OssiansFolly is apparently an idiot. Get a couple of freestanding scratching posts and put them in areas that they frequently like to scratch at, and rub some catnip on them.

My cat doesn't do catnip, but it's worked like a charm for everyone I know that has tried it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

OssiansFolly posted:

More unsolicited advice from someone making assumptions? Oh joy! Do I need to link you to Dr. Cox too?

I declawed my cats over 3 years ago now, and since they were ALWAYS biters nothing has changed there.

Again, rather than spay or neuter your cat you could just treat the symptoms without mutilation, but this isn't about your decision to have a home free of marking and blood. Its about my decision to declaw my cats for reasons that still haven't been disclosed only inferred.

lmao did you just say MY WIFE'S A VET TECH then immediately follow up with "spaying/neutering is mutilation"

please own me with scrubs doctor, mr cool man

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i won't say why i want to cut off my cat's fingertips and make them even more loving psycho and neurotic, but i assure you it is a serious problem and will in fact not result in things being even worse for me and looking like a giant idiot. thank you

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

Yeah? Well my mom is a zoo keeper. You know what that makes me? Not a zoo keeper.
You aren't a vet tech, you aren't a good debater, and you aren't a very good person if you still support something like this with no other argument that "la la la I believe this and I don't care what the experts say!" Also, for the record, a vet tech isn't considered an expert in matters of pet psychology, so trying to use your wife's credentials is laughable at best. Keep your stupid Cat Hitler opinions if they help you justify being a douche, but do the animal kingdom a favor and don't tell other people who are trying to find non invasive ways to help their pets that amputating their bodies is a great option.

So my wife, who lives with me, tells me we need to get the cats declawed for, again, undisclosed reasons, and you tell me it is a "bad idea". Then you tell me that my wife's experience in animal treatment doesn't make me a doctor right before spouting information about pet psychology that you read from second hand source which apparently makes YOU an expert. And as an intelligent person I am sure you know that for every one study you read that says one thing there is another that says the exact opposite.

My argument is pretty simple and has been this whole time...you have no idea why my cats had to be declawed...so I haven't presented my argument. You made an assumption and then got on your soapbox.

As far as my advice goes I gave him 4 other options with declawing being the very last option. Did you have another piece of advice that I did NOT already provide him with to prevent his cat from scratching things? If not I'm going to kindly ask you to step down from your soapbox and go back to castrating your animals.

muike posted:

i won't say why i want to cut off my cat's fingertips and make them even more loving psycho and neurotic, but i assure you it is a serious problem and will in fact not result in things being even worse for me and looking like a giant idiot. thank you

Declawing was my last option before we had to get rid of one or two cats. It actually fixed the issues, let us keep all 3 of my cats, and was recommended by the vet for YEARS before we actually did it.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

baxxy posted:

Thanks! Things have improved since switching to the duck and pea diet, although he still cries pathetically when I won't give him anything else (he believes all food is for him, as well).

We tried switching Oreohead to the prednisone every other day and his poo quality almost immediately declined. I think it was 1/2 pill and I do believe they are 5mg pills, so I suppose 5mg every other day would be like me giving 1/2 pill daily, which is what we were doing when he was better. So 2 years of that and your cat hasn't had any other health problems? I'd be okay with taking him in every 3 months for checkups, but I am scared of the idea that it could cause liver damage or what-not. How old is Cracker? Oreohead is 12 1/2.

You might check into Budesonide or even prednisolone as well. I adopted an IBD cat and originally had her on prednisolone and she did really well, but we wanted to try the Budesonide since it has fewer long term side effects. She originally gained over 2 pounds but lost some of that after the switch to the Budesonide. I've had her for 10 months and she had one weird flare up, but for the most part she acts like she feels great, and has mostly normal stool. I'm also going to try B12 injections to see if it makes a difference.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OssiansFolly posted:

So my wife, who lives with me, tells me we need to get the cats declawed for, again, undisclosed reasons, and you tell me it is a "bad idea".

Maybe you should disclose these reasons. Otherwise you might want to stick to playing magic instead of dealing out cat advice.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

As far as my advice goes I gave him 4 other options with declawing being the very last option. Did you have another piece of advice that I did NOT already provide him with to prevent his cat from scratching things? If not I'm going to kindly ask you to step down from your soapbox and go back to castrating your animals.

Based on how you post I'm going to infer that you yourself have not had your cats fixed? If so I can also infer from your posts that your unfixed cats were going hormone crazy and scratching things up. This is how communications work, you see. If you withhold certain important points from your debate in a way that forces the reader to fill in the blanks with speculation, then expect the reader to infer the worst scenario. After all, if you had innocent, totally out of your control reasons for doing what you did, you would just TELL us the reason instead of hinting at some bigger story you aren't at liberty to discuss. So cut the cloak and dagger bullshit and tell us why you felt you had no choice but to chop your cat's piggies instead of finding them a home that didn't make them neurotic scratch monsters.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe you should disclose these reasons. Otherwise you might want to stick to playing magic instead of dealing out cat advice.

I had a pair of Russian Blues (brother and sister from the same litter) that I adopted as kittens. I refused to get them declawed for all the same reasons everyone has presented here. When my wife and I moved in and she brought her 2 cats they also had claws. Not only did they tear everything up constantly trying to mark things as their own to compete with each other, but they also would constantly fight. Having claws they would do lots of damage to each other, and using Softpaws was out of the question as touching their paws resulted in them causing lots of damage to us. We lived together for 2 years dealing with this and the constant trips to the vet and animal ER to treat wounds. We tried taking them in to get Softpaws put on by professionals, and the cats chewed them off. We paid over $2000 in animal psychiatrist bills to have a guy come out and try and fix the problem...he quit after my cat scratched him in the face so bad he needed stitches. We tried squirting them with water, shaking cans of pennies, air cans and everything else we could think of. It was either declaw them or remove 1-2 cats from the home. Since neither of us could give up our cats we got them declawed. Since then they have all mellowed out. We don't have thousands in damages at apartments, no more scars and scratches on us or our cats, and all of the cats tolerate each other and are over all twice as loving to us as well.

So before you spout off without knowing the situation and everything we did to keep our cats as is you should probably ask for the full story.

Stairs posted:

Based on how you post I'm going to infer that you yourself have not had your cats fixed? If so I can also infer from your posts that your unfixed cats were going hormone crazy and scratching things up. This is how communications work, you see. If you withhold certain important points from your debate in a way that forces the reader to fill in the blanks with speculation, then expect the reader to infer the worst scenario. After all, if you had innocent, totally out of your control reasons for doing what you did, you would just TELL us the reason instead of hinting at some bigger story you aren't at liberty to discuss. So cut the cloak and dagger bullshit and tell us why you felt you had no choice but to chop your cat's piggies instead of finding them a home that didn't make them neurotic scratch monsters.

No you see that isn't how it works. I wasn't given the chance to explain anything before people assumed I was a monster that took my cats claws to make a necklace and have sex with their organs. People on here never get the full story before making assumptions and being assholes. So why should I attempt to defend myself? Its easier to just be a dick back and enjoy how stupid the argument is when one side is literally arguing about fictional details.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 10, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Okay then, tell us if your cats are fixed. You say they were marking things, and you seem to be saying you're against it.

Also, you're still an idiot for not saying the reasons you did it after the first post I made, since at that point nobody was being an rear end to you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OssiansFolly posted:

No you see that isn't how it works. I wasn't given the chance to explain anything before people assumed I was a monster that took my cats claws to make a necklace and have sex with their organs. People on here never get the full story before making assumptions and being assholes. So why should I attempt to defend myself? Its easier to just be a dick back and enjoy how stupid the argument is when one side is literally arguing about fictional details.

Dude, you probably should try going elsewhere. Goons are a pretty docile bunch, we get vitriolic when people are evasive and deceptive about things.

The problem is you offered declawing as an option for scratching furnature. Then on top of that you kept defending it and would say "undisclosed reasons" for why you did it. The fact is you did it for reasons that were totally unrelated to a minor furnature scratching problem.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Dude, you probably should try going elsewhere. Goons are a pretty docile bunch, we get vitriolic when people are evasive and deceptive about things.

The problem is you offered declawing as an option for scratching furnature. Then on top of that you kept defending it and would say "undisclosed reasons" for why you did it. The fact is you did it for reasons that were totally unrelated to a minor furnature scratching problem.

Exactly! If he hadn't literally said "I did it because I like nice things" nobody would have judged. Even then, the first few posts in response weren't being mean so much as trying to suss out if he really "got" what declawing is (a lot of people don't know how invasive it is.) The problem with pets is there will always be people that have terrible outdated ideas and will react with pure vitriol at anyone who tries to sway them from their wrongness with accusations that they are just "being mean". Ugh.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm fine and can defend myself without any problems. But it isn't my job to provide unsolicited info into my life. The important point was that I had to do it. The argument that removing claws is mutilation and should NEVER be done is a crock of poo poo. Using words like Never or Always is stupid when making any kind of argument as they are definites. Definites don't exist. I get that people are emotionally attached and invested in their animals (I am too), but the explanations and arguments presented here have inherent problems as well. People who have issues should try EVERYTHING to keep their animals...sometimes that is paying for expensive medication and sometimes its doing something you don't like to keep ALL of the animals safe.

Stairs posted:

Exactly! If he hadn't literally said "I did it because I like nice things" nobody would have judged. Even then, the first few posts in response weren't being mean so much as trying to suss out if he really "got" what declawing is (a lot of people don't know how invasive it is.) The problem with pets is there will always be people that have terrible outdated ideas and will react with pure vitriol at anyone who tries to sway them from their wrongness with accusations that they are just "being mean". Ugh.

I didn't say that. I, again, never said why I did it. I said I like having things free to claw marks, and you inferred that was the sole reason for my decision. Declawing a cat shouldn't just be a "gonna do it because" response, but at the same time everyone who jumped all over me should really take the time to say "why was it done" before going ape poo poo, being dicks and causing a fuss. I had no problem telling my story once someone asked.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 10, 2014

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm fine and can defend myself without any problems. But it isn't my job to provide unsolicited info into my life. The important point was that I had to do it. The argument that removing claws is mutilation and should NEVER be done is a crock of poo poo. Using words like Never or Always is stupid when making any kind of argument as they are definites. Definites don't exist. I get that people are emotionally attached and invested in their animals (I am too), but the explanations and arguments presented here have inherent problems as well. People who have issues should try EVERYTHING to keep their animals...sometimes that is paying for expensive medication and sometimes its doing something you don't like to keep ALL of the animals safe.

Okay, that's great. Now tell us if they're fixed or not.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

Okay, that's great. Now tell us if they're fixed or not.

No I kick them REALLY hard whenever they start going into heat. Everyone has moved on from being a dick and witch hunting. Care to join them?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OssiansFolly posted:

People who have issues should try EVERYTHING to keep their animals...sometimes that is paying for expensive medication and sometimes its doing something you don't like to keep ALL of the animals safe.

gently caress no. What the loving christ. If you can't care for an animal it's better to give it up than to force it to remain in a lovely environment. You keeping the animal is secondary to it's well being and happiness. If you've got 18 cats in 600 sq ft and they're hurting each other regularly, the answer might be "no cats."

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

OssiansFolly posted:

No I kick them REALLY hard whenever they start going into heat. Everyone has moved on from being a dick and witch hunting. Care to join them?

Not until you answer the question that could very well be the heart of why your cats were assholes to begin with. I'm not witch hunting, your main argument partially consisted of bashing people who fix their cats. You're the one being a dick by acting like you are in the goddamned cat CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:ughh:

Seriously dude, stop posting in PI, go back to playing Magic.

I told you exactly why you stirred up the hornets nest and you still keep acting defensive.

Again you should not be giving advice in PI.