Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel a little weird linking to a place like Fandom_Wank, but if you want to hear about insane shippers doing insane poo poo, they're top-notch. There's some 540+ entries for Harry Potter as a series, and 70 entries just for Harry/Hermione shippers. It's mostly centered around the livejournal and fanfiction parts of the internet, and I think they still have the entire Cassandra Claire saga buried in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Having just finished Deathly Hallows, I was taking a look around the HP Wiki and noticed several characters listed as having paired off in the future (such as Neville/Hannah and George/Angelina) that weren't mentioned in the epilogue. Is there another source for the later fates of surviving characters?

Also, I literally cheered when Neville cut off Nagini's head, Percy redeemed himself and basically told the minister to suck it, and of course, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Having just finished Deathly Hallows, I was taking a look around the HP Wiki and noticed several characters listed as having paired off in the future (such as Neville/Hannah and George/Angelina) that weren't mentioned in the epilogue. Is there another source for the later fates of surviving characters?

Also, I literally cheered when Neville cut off Nagini's head, Percy redeemed himself and basically told the minister to suck it, and of course, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Later interviews with JK Rowlings.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
It feels like a lot of you guys had a more visceral reaction to the 'harry potter is logical as poo poo' story than I did. I did read the whole thing, and I don't hate it, but it did make me understand that comic about how "singularity means that in the future being rich and white will be even more awesome".

There was a whole thing in the story, how Harry wants to fix death, and what a heroic thing it is that he does. Like, he mentions terrible human problems (even the gratuitously excessive ones he adds in), but you can tell he can't get into it at all, and he still wants to talk about harvesting stars or something instead, even when everyone can pull free matter and energy out of their asses.

I seem to remember the author has a whole thing about how you're supposed to interpret the characters critically, but everything dumb or douchey about his Harry are exactly the things you would expect from the author of a story like this.

I guess the fun thing about it is that I love thinking how I would do it differently. I imagine my version would be all about the importance of crafting social institutions if you can change the laws of physics. Like, can you please make the world less amenable to mind control? Or at least set up an election spell. Mr. Harry Namedrops-The-History-Of-AI-Research never even thinks of that.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

Rowling will reportedly be a producer of the play and work with a writer, but she will not be writing the play. The story will follow Potter in his early years as an orphan.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/showbiz/harry-potter-rowling-play/

Better than fanfiction.

I have way higher hopes for this than the new movie.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I have a hard time picturing a pre-Philosopher's Stone working as something "Harry Potter" - is it going to be Harry's messy hair growing back constantly or the time he inexplicably jumped really high to escape bullying.

The Dursley/Harry relationship doesn't really hold up very well as the story progresses, so I'm not sure if it could sustain a closer look

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Well, that might be what this play is for. It's like when Sorcerer's Stone came out and it was just "all Slytherins are evil" and Rowling threw in Slughorn later on to make it more nuanced. Maybe now we'll get a depiction of Dursley family life that is not all cartoonishly awful

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Uh, isn't this pretty much Matilda? It's been said before, but I thought it before I heard anyone else say it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Qwo posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/showbiz/harry-potter-rowling-play/

Better than fanfiction.

I have way higher hopes for this than the new movie.

They should be writing a play about the Marauders.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

geeves posted:

They should be writing a play about the Marauders.

Or a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead-ish thing about Luna and how she's completely aware that she's a fictional character.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Uh, isn't this pretty much Matilda? It's been said before, but I thought it before I heard anyone else say it.

And the weird thing to me is that, without any weirdness, there can't really be a happy ending because we already have the beginning of part 2 which is incredibly unhappy. It's also going to be extremely weird because either there's accidental magic in the play that is never explained which is going to be extremely weird OR there isn't any, at which point what even would the story be? :psyduck:

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
Rowling's full of surprises this year! I thought she said she never wanted to do prequels. So I guess because she isn't writing the play, it doesn't count as a prequel?

I think the play would be interesting, but is it for children or for adults? I can see the issues with Harry's childhood being explored. Apart from what we have seen in the books: the verbal and emotional abuse and the odd physical abuse, how much abuse really did go on in the Dursley household that we didn't know about?

Oh by the way here's a little Christmassy HP Potter family fanart:
http://sabenerica.deviantart.com/art/Waiting-For-Father-Christmas-421309774

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

When did she say she was doing prequels? Did I miss something? The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies are supposed to happen chronologically before Harry Potter but I wouldn't count them as prequels since they appear to be very disconnected from Harry's story.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2014

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
That looks like fun

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good

ashez2ashes posted:

When did she say she was doing prequels? Did I miss something? The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies are supposed to happen chronologically before Harry Potter but I wouldn't count them as prequels since they appear to be very disconnected from Harry's story.

I wasn't talking about Fantastic Beasts. :) FB is a totally different world to HP. I'm talking about prequels in Harry's own world. JKR is collaborating for West End producers to make a Harry Potter play about his life before Hogwarts.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has JK Rowling ever commented on giving people permission to write new books that take place in the Harry Potter universe, similar to something like the Star Wars Expanded Universe?

It would be very tough giving up control of the characters and the world that you created, but I can't be the only one who would be excited to see additional stories that take place in the same universe. The vast majority of fanfics suck, I would love to see other legitimate authors taking a stab at writing a book or graphic novel.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
The vast majority of EU stuff is basically slightly better edited fanfic.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah "Expanded Universe" books (Star Wars, Trek, Dr. Who) are literally just licensed fan-fiction. There's no merit to any of it. Approaching a franchise in different mediums (say, exploring a book franchise in tangentially related games, comics, and television) is potentially interesting, but there's not a single publisher that I trust to curate that stuff adequately.

The fact that the Lippert books exist is damaging enough to Harry Potter.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It just feels like in today's day and age, for a series to remain relevant, it has to keep churning out new content, whether it's new video games, comics, books, movies, or a TV show. While I don't think Harry Potter is irrelevant (Wizarding World of Harry Potter can tell you that much), but I can't help but wonder what how relevant Harry Potter will be in 10 or even 15 years. The fact that Rowling is developing a stage show and a movie based on Fantastic Beasts says that she isn't done exploring the world of Harry Potter, but the amount of new content being released happens less and less often.

I'm sure we'll see a reboot of the movies sooner or later.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Why does it need to stay relevant?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

returnh posted:

Why does it need to stay relevant?

Money, obviously. The fact that there's an amusement park that needs to stay relevant to bring people. I doubt Universal Studios and Warner Brothers ever want to let go of the cash cow that is Harry Potter.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Money, obviously. The fact that there's an amusement park that needs to stay relevant to bring people. I doubt Universal Studios and Warner Brothers ever want to let go of the cash cow that is Harry Potter.

Oh, I see. For some reason I thought you were talking from a fan perspective.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think Harry Potter will be relevant for at least one more generation. There's a whole mess of kids who grew up reading the series and I've known a lot of people that want to have kids almost for the sole purpose of introducing them to the franchise. Whether or not the next generation takes to it as well, that's anyone's guess.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's been 7 years since the last book but only 2 years since the last movie, and they are already exploring new ways of branching out the series with the stage show and Fantastic Beasts.

And let's be perfectly honest: the Star Wars EU did absolutely nothing to keep Star Wars a relevant franchise during the downtime between the original trilogy and Episode 1. Between the end of the last trilogy you have had more marketable stuff like video games and Clone Wars cartoons, etc. but authorized fan fiction didn't keep the series in the mind of the public. Frankly, none of that other stuff did either, the movies are the main draw and the other stuff is just a cash-in.

I'm sure right now various parties are throwing money and contracts at Rowling to try and milk the cash cow in the short term, but I would rather see something legitimately good 10 years from now (either a movie reboot, or more books from Rowling, or some sort of other legitimate product) than a bunch of trash spreading out into infinity just to keep the train chugging along.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

And let's be perfectly honest: the Star Wars EU did absolutely nothing to keep Star Wars a relevant franchise during the downtime between the original trilogy and Episode 1. Between the end of the last trilogy you have had more marketable stuff like video games and Clone Wars cartoons, etc. but authorized fan fiction didn't keep the series in the mind of the public. Frankly, none of that other stuff did either, the movies are the main draw and the other stuff is just a cash-in.

That's very true, I think the Special Editions being in theaters helped (even though hardcore fans hated them), along with stuff like Shadows of the Empire, not necessarily the EU books. The fact that the toys were such a juggernaut helped (tons of people collecting them, permanent shelf space well after the movie was released).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The Star Wars EU generated income and probably kept a lot of staff on at Lucasfilm that might not have otherwise been working. It also certainly filled a consumer demand. Lucas doesn't really care for Star Wars as much as Rowling does about Potter so he's content to market the hell out of it.

I'm certain a lot of people would have wanted to monetise the huge fan fiction community surrounding Harry Potter. Rowling probably did well to ignore it, I doubt it would have really brought much on top of the existing merchandise efforts. Why risk potentially diluting the core IP when you can license wands toys and candy. There definitely is a demand for *more*

I think a huge part of Potter's popularity is people buying into the hype at the time. Someone coming into the books/movies cold I think won't get the same experience at the peak of the fervour like we all have. To keep that rolling they need to have new events/properties to sustain interest. I think we'll definitely have a rebooted Philosophers stone within a decade. Think of the buzz that a search for a new Harry would have.

The other interesting wrinkle is if Rowling can turn her detective series into another franchise. I could easily see a movie or show based on that property doing well.

Rowling might have more money than she knows what to do with but there's a whole Harry Potter industry that people want to keep moving.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Next March (when I'll be back in Florida) can't come soon enough:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispatches/2014/01/23/universal-orlando-harry-potter-world-diagon-alley/4783027/

Spoilers?
-London Waterfront with Knight Bus
-Hogwarts Express to go between parks, you'll see views of London and the British countryside
-Main attraction is the Escape from Gringotts Bank
-The Leaky Cauldron, which will serve English Pub Fare
-Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour
-Shops include Madam Malkin's Robes, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes (three-stories!), Magical Menagerie, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Scribbulus, Wiseacres, and Ollivanders (will be the 2nd locations)
-Knockturn Alley, which will have shops with "dark" items like Death-Eater masks, skulls, and more

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, since Harry/Hermione was talked about recently - this apparently happened today.

I can hear the shippers shrieking.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, everyone actually does hate Ron.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Now I'm curious. Harry and Ginny's relationship is kind of essential later on, so would Rowling have done the whole love triangle thing (ugh) or just reworked those bits? Played up Ron the big brother to not leave him out?

On that note, I always thought it was a shame Cho never played a bigger role and was just kind of written off like that by everyone. :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow I'm glad she didn't act on this regret because Harry and Hermione would've been dumb

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Never have I been a stronger advocate of "death of the author"*. It'd be nearly impossible to rewrite the series such that Harry getting together with Hermione makes sense. The trio's entire relationship dynamic, from day loving one of Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, would have to be rewritten.

*in the metaphorical sense; I do not actually want Rowling to die

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I think she's just throwing the crazy people a bone to stop from being killed.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Quite literally the funniest thing she could have done and I applaud her awesome trolling ability.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Never have I been a stronger advocate of "death of the author"*. It'd be nearly impossible to rewrite the series such that Harry getting together with Hermione makes sense. The trio's entire relationship dynamic, from day loving one of Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, would have to be rewritten.

*in the metaphorical sense; I do not actually want Rowling to die

Also it was pretty obvious that Harry was going to get with Ginny from book one and made it even more in book two

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also it was pretty obvious that Harry was going to get with Ginny from book one and made it even more in book two

Pretty sure Ginny does not exist in the first book, but I agree otherwise. Pretty obvious from the beginning of Chamber of Secrets onwards.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Pretty sure Ginny does not exist in the first book, but I agree otherwise. Pretty obvious from the beginning of Chamber of Secrets onwards.

She is in it, but just barely, when they're at Platform 9 3/4.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I got the impression the article was misquoting her.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Umm the headline says "J.K. Rowling Wishes Harry & Hermione Would Have Ended Up Together" but if you read the quote its more like "Ron and Hermione were a bad fit for each other". Wheres the complete interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Weirder than that, Ron and Hermione ending up together was wish fulfillment? She identifies with/as Hermione and the impossible/unworkable dream is to hook her up with Ron.

I don't even know anymore.

• Locked thread