Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

poopkitty posted:

Re: wasps. One of these things got into my bedroom while I was on my balcony last year (I live on the 9th floor.) I was terrified. It flew all over the place divebombing me until i turned off all of the lights and turned on the balcony light and laid on my floor sobbing until it got out I haven't opened the balcony doors since..

if one of those things got into my house I would straight up move

Like, just pack up the animals, grab whatever I could carry, and just move out

Because NO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
either that or seal off the room with that industrial strength plastic and duct tape and write off anything still in there as a loss. Computer? Clothing? Bed? No, sorry, it belongs to The Wasp now, I will just buy a new one

But really I'd probably just move

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pupdate: Fluffbutts fluffbutts fluffbutts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Japanese bees kill Japanese hornets via overheating. Get some toasty bees.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

VanSandman posted:

Post pictures

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

poopkitty posted:

Hey ladies. I just got home from work - day two of being in charge of bathroom breaks for grown adults who haven't been proven to have done anything yet. And I get to do it all over again on Monday! Woot.

Re: wasps. One of these things got into my bedroom while I was on my balcony last year (I live on the 9th floor.) I was terrified. It flew all over the place divebombing me until i turned off all of the lights and turned on the balcony light and laid on my floor sobbing until it got out I haven't opened the balcony doors since..

Wasps that big you could kill with a tennis racket. Or if you don't have one of those, a katana.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Hey ladies. I just got home from work - day two of being in charge of bathroom breaks for grown adults who haven't been proven to have done anything yet. And I get to do it all over again on Monday! Woot.

those hornets are sick as hell

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 4, 2014

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

those hornets are sick as hell

No they're dead.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Manic Panic's 'Virgin Snow' toner doesn't do poo poo, fyi. I know it's only supposed to get rid of yellow tones, and not orange, but it didn't do anything at all. Well, it managed to make the yellow brighter. Now I'm torn between trying a different, real toner that uses developer and just slapping colors onto my hair. Any ladythread people/lurkers know if using toner + developer is 'bad' for your hair, the way bleaching is? I'm assuming it is since it's lifting color out.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Captain Backslap posted:

No they're dead.

wakka wakka

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pick posted:

Japanese bees kill Japanese hornets via overheating. Get some toasty bees.

Japanese hornets also kill more people in Japan than stuff like bears too (like 30-40 people a year, even people who aren't allergic). I remember some entomologist who got stung by one describing it feeling like a "hot nail." :gonk:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Fabulist posted:

Manic Panic's 'Virgin Snow' toner doesn't do poo poo, fyi. I know it's only supposed to get rid of yellow tones, and not orange, but it didn't do anything at all. Well, it managed to make the yellow brighter. Now I'm torn between trying a different, real toner that uses developer and just slapping colors onto my hair. Any ladythread people/lurkers know if using toner + developer is 'bad' for your hair, the way bleaching is? I'm assuming it is since it's lifting color out.

It is. You may get the color you want, eventually, but the trade off is your hair will be damaged as hell. Is the color really that bad?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I got a Fabulist-approved lipstick yesterday (Urban Decay Naked). I'm going to get some bb cream today because I typically use Bare Minerals and it's not working well with my skin being dry in the winter, and is possibly making me break out even more. Any recommendations? Preferably cheapish, I've hit my makeup budget for the month.

Edit: oh yeah! Question on behalf of a lady-husband. Do those face brush expensive things work? I think probably no but he doesn't believe me.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 10, 2014

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

VanSandman posted:

Please cleanse the horrible death wasps from the thread (and my mind) with pictures of fluffbutts

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Anoia posted:

It is. You may get the color you want, eventually, but the trade off is your hair will be damaged as hell. Is the color really that bad?

It's not bad, I just know from prior experience that the orange will show through the other colors when in sunlight. By 'other colors' I mean a successive mixture of greens, blues, and purples, so it's different than dyeing darker 'natural' colors, at least in my experience. Getting rid of it would have been nice, but not worth wrecking my hair. I might try a different toner the next time I bleach, which will be like two months because I'd rather have dark roots (and hide them with a dark color) than bleach any more than I need to.

I got impatient though, and am sitting here while the colors process/stain (emerald green and deep plum, whoo). Yay for impatience, it saved the health of my hair! And thank you for letting me know, it would have dissuaded me even if I had been more patient.

detectivemonkey posted:

I got a Fabulist-approved lipstick yesterday (Urban Decay Naked). I'm going to get some bb cream today because I typically use Bare Minerals and it's not working well with my skin being dry in the winter, and is possibly making me break out even more. Any recommendations? Preferably cheapish, I've hit my makeup budget for the month.

Edit: oh yeah! Question on behalf of a lady-husband. Do those face brush expensive things work? I think probably no but he doesn't believe me.

How do you like the lipstick? It doesn't have super-awesome half-a-day staying power, but that's fine with me, since the trade-off seems to be insane moisture and color, with no staining.

The only BB cream/tinted moisturizer I use is a discontinued Philosophy one that was cheap at TJ Maxx. It's good, and the new version is probably good as well, but I wouldn't pay full price for it, myself, since I rarely use it.

If you like Bareminerals when dry skin isn't an issue, you should check out Meow Cosmetics' foundation line. They have a much larger range of shades (86!), matching concealers and undereye-specific concealers for each shade, come in three different formulas (light coverage, light-to-medium coverage, and heavy coverage, all three of which are buildable), and 8 oz of product (same size as the biggest BM jar) is $14. There's usually a sale going on, though, I've never paid full price for anything full-sized from them. They also have samples of all the shades/concealers/coverage types for $1 each, not counting sales, so you don't have to buy full-sized anything until you know what shade you want. I used to love BM, tried Meow, and realized how not-great a match the closest BM shade was to my skintone, how crap BM formula seemed by comparison, and dumped my BM into the trash so I could use the jars for travel Meow containers. I'm not sure if they work better with dry skin than BM since they are powder, but Google probably knows.

What do you mean by face-brush-expensive things? Like the Clarisonic Mia? They work, most people break out after they start using them, which is a sign of long-clogged pores being unclogged and not knowing what to do, and they help cut down on dry skin and acne when used with the right cleanser. They're not really necessary, though.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
hey fabulist i asked you a question in the makeup thread which would have been better here or through PM but i don't have PMs and i figured it would have gotten lost here but maybe it got lost in the makeup thread too... anyway maybe you can answer here.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Oh I didn't see it, lemme go look at the makeup thread. I don't usually keep up with that thread, sorry.

Edit: I'd be glad to have either of the Make Up For Ever items, the other two I already have my own samples of. Also, I just realized your address was saved on my old laptop, the one that ate itself recently, so please email your address to nope.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Thread mascot.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
will do, you can edit out your email now if you want.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
I swear to God if I have to hear any of the following phrases one more time:

"Look what I did in Minecraft!" "Look what I automated in Minecraft" "Bla bla bla twice the output in Minecraft!"

I will not be held responsible for my actions.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Fabulist posted:

It's not bad, I just know from prior experience that the orange will show through the other colors when in sunlight. By 'other colors' I mean a successive mixture of greens, blues, and purples, so it's different than dyeing darker 'natural' colors, at least in my experience. Getting rid of it would have been nice, but not worth wrecking my hair. I might try a different toner the next time I bleach, which will be like two months because I'd rather have dark roots (and hide them with a dark color) than bleach any more than I need to.

I got impatient though, and am sitting here while the colors process/stain (emerald green and deep plum, whoo). Yay for impatience, it saved the health of my hair! And thank you for letting me know, it would have dissuaded me even if I had been more patient.

How do you like the lipstick? It doesn't have super-awesome half-a-day staying power, but that's fine with me, since the trade-off seems to be insane moisture and color, with no staining.

The only BB cream/tinted moisturizer I use is a discontinued Philosophy one that was cheap at TJ Maxx. It's good, and the new version is probably good as well, but I wouldn't pay full price for it, myself, since I rarely use it.

If you like Bareminerals when dry skin isn't an issue, you should check out Meow Cosmetics' foundation line. They have a much larger range of shades (86!), matching concealers and undereye-specific concealers for each shade, come in three different formulas (light coverage, light-to-medium coverage, and heavy coverage, all three of which are buildable), and 8 oz of product (same size as the biggest BM jar) is $14. There's usually a sale going on, though, I've never paid full price for anything full-sized from them. They also have samples of all the shades/concealers/coverage types for $1 each, not counting sales, so you don't have to buy full-sized anything until you know what shade you want. I used to love BM, tried Meow, and realized how not-great a match the closest BM shade was to my skintone, how crap BM formula seemed by comparison, and dumped my BM into the trash so I could use the jars for travel Meow containers. I'm not sure if they work better with dry skin than BM since they are powder, but Google probably knows.

What do you mean by face-brush-expensive things? Like the Clarisonic Mia? They work, most people break out after they start using them, which is a sign of long-clogged pores being unclogged and not knowing what to do, and they help cut down on dry skin and acne when used with the right cleanser. They're not really necessary, though.

Yes, Clarisonic. I'll let him know -- it's an investment, but probably worth it if it works well. I'll see if I like the BB Cream (I went with fructis) and check out meow. I'm not 100% in love with BM (or that acronym) so I'm up for a change when I run out of my current supply. I really hate wearing foundation, but I do because it keeps me from touching my face and causing more breakouts.

Lady nail thread reps: I'm trying to get my husband to join up on your thread.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Thora posted:

"Look what I did in Minecraft!" "Look what I automated in Minecraft" "Bla bla bla twice the output in Minecraft!"

Sounds justifiable to me.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Thora posted:

Maybe I haven't been following the thread closely, but if that's a loved one that you're married to I recommend you sever.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Backslap posted:

Maybe I haven't been following the thread closely, but if that's a loved one that you're married to I recommend you sever.

Yeah pretty much. I'm afraid Minecraft is terminal and amputation is the only cure.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What's everyone's big Friday night plans?

I intend to get not-sober and watch In The Name Of The Father.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
work :(

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

bathroom sounds posted:

beer and hockey

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I've promised myself I won't leave work until this project is done (I'll have to finish tomorrow if I don't tonight), but once I'm free I'm making quinoa with black beans and mango for dinner, and probably celebrating the end of this cold with a tropical drink.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bathroom sounds posted:

Getting drunk and going to a gallery show about fonts, you wish you had my life

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Unironically do, that show isn't in New York, is it?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

a dozen swans posted:

Getting drunk and going to a gallery show about fonts, you wish you had my life
Helvetica!

... Serif?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

beer and hockey

:hfive:
Wanna hang out after my game?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Unironically do, that show isn't in New York, is it?

Nah, it's a little exhibition a friend's partner has a few pieces in. I am a big type geek and very excited. If I see anything outstanding I'll take pictures!

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

a dozen swans posted:

Nah, it's a little exhibition a friend's partner has a few pieces in. I am a big type geek and very excited. If I see anything outstanding I'll take pictures!

Now maybe I want to finally watch the Helvetica documentary. Is it good? Have you seen it?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

bathroom sounds posted:

go to my evening class, then eat pasta and watch youtube videos

Thora posted:

I like minecraft and all but that's just awful, that's like talking about your WoW raid successes

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
I gotta hang out with a friend who's not doing so great and is probably going to pressure me into buying codeine for him

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I'm working in the morning so I can't do anything good and I have to go to bed soon :mad:

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

Now maybe I want to finally watch the Helvetica documentary. Is it good? Have you seen it?

I have, and it's pretty solid! I'd suggest that you instead watch Wordplay, which is about the New York Times crossword puzzle and is very well done. The helvetica doc is good too, I just think wordplay is better and a similar experience if you're not already enmeshed in one of the two worlds (type, puzzles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm a huge type sperg but I have to admit sanses don't do much for me :can:

• Locked thread