Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Zola posted:

Yeah, that kind of bugs me as well because gas was first piped to Chicago in 1891 and the first gas water heater was invented in 1868. Both aren't just pre-WWII, they're pre-WWI, and truly, the designs haven't changed all that much. I could see his magic messing up some of the bells and whistles like electric start, but get an older heater with a plain old pilot light and he should be fine.

Maybe the apartment doesn't have gas connections. I work with public housing and houses with no gas (so electric hot water systems/stoves/heaters/etc) are a lot more common than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

He lives in Chicago and hasn't figured out how to give himself hot water? Madness.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

McCoy probably has trouble with water heaters, and Harry just assumes that he will too.

Semi-auto guns were around well before Harry's VW Beetle would have been made, but the beetle is "reliable" and semi-autos are "too modern".

Harry's just weird about lots of stuff though.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

McCoy probably has trouble with water heaters, and Harry just assumes that he will too.

Semi-auto guns were around well before Harry's VW Beetle would have been made, but the beetle is "reliable" and semi-autos are "too modern".

It's not weird so much as it is, once again Risk and reward. He said he chooses the revolver because it works, he doesn't want something newer, cause "what if it doesn't"? He has the beetle, probably because it was the oldest thing he could get and the beetle died all the time. He doesn't have a water heater cause he lives in a house made of wood, and doesn't want to risk killing his neighbors for some creature comfort. He has access to lots of things, he just doesn't use them cause he doesn't want to risk them not working. Same reason he doesn't use elevators, even old school ones, because "what if it didn't work". It's not necessarily weird, it's certainly cautious, but he has evidence to at least his eyes that it's warranted.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

SageSepthAtWork posted:

He doesn't have a water heater cause he lives in a house made of wood, and doesn't want to risk killing his neighbors for some creature comfort.

An open fireplace is far more dangerous to a house made of wood.

The water-heater technology should be no problem is my point, it's prior to the WWII cutoff.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
I'm still wondering if he ever talked Demonreach into making him a hot spring.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

Zola posted:

An open fireplace is far more dangerous to a house made of wood.

The water-heater technology should be no problem is my point, it's prior to the WWII cutoff.

An Open fireplace is not going to explode, a water heater will. What is confusing, the character has said this in like the opening chapter of like every book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

July 17? But I want it nooooooooooow!

Longer than that if you're not a Brit and not willing to import/gently caress about with Kindle address settings. Hell, Broken Homes doesn't get a US release until next month; it'll be next year before Foxglove Summer is released here.

Thankfully I'm perfectly willing to import :v:.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SageSepthAtWork posted:

An Open fireplace is not going to explode, a water heater will. What is confusing, the character has said this in like the opening chapter of like every book.

Solutions exist. Harry either doesn't know or is just set in his ways.

Harry had an open fireplace. No reason not to get a wood stove instead. You can still buy water-heater attachments for those, and they don't explode.

SageSepthAtWork
Dec 11, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Solutions exist. Harry either doesn't know or is just set in his ways.

Harry had an open fireplace. No reason not to get a wood stove instead. You can still buy water-heater attachments for those, and they don't explode.

Forgetting that he doesn't feel comfortable taking the chance, there's also the income issues, for nearly the entire time he lived in that house he had little to no money and everything was second or more hands. Buying a wood burning stove and water heater attachment and having them installed is costly, and requires letting people into your home. Which for the most part is constantly under assault by various forces. Fire was a very real concern with that home, as was made clear when a single Molotov cocktail not only lead to it being burned down but damaging nearby row houses as well. There were plenty of reasons for him not to, and very little reason to.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

SageSepthAtWork posted:

It's not weird so much as it is, once again Risk and reward. He said he chooses the revolver because it works, he doesn't want something newer, cause "what if it doesn't"? He has the beetle, probably because it was the oldest thing he could get and the beetle died all the time. He doesn't have a water heater cause he lives in a house made of wood, and doesn't want to risk killing his neighbors for some creature comfort. He has access to lots of things, he just doesn't use them cause he doesn't want to risk them not working. Same reason he doesn't use elevators, even old school ones, because "what if it didn't work". It's not necessarily weird, it's certainly cautious, but he has evidence to at least his eyes that it's warranted.

He's also been eating at the same places for pretty much a decade. Harry just doesn't like changes.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

I'm still wondering if he ever talked Demonreach into making him a hot spring.

A hot spring fueled by the souls of the damned?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

veekie posted:

Nothing better than a dip in the Naagloshii juice. :v:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm in the middle of a re-read, and had totally forgot that during Bianca's party, Lea offered Micheal his sword back in exchange for his eldest daughter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Masonity posted:

I'm in the middle of a re-read, and had totally forgot that during Bianca's party, Lea offered Micheal his sword back in exchange for his eldest daughter.

Holy moly, I completely forgot about that. I just chalked it up at the time to Lea being creepy which, let's be fair, is totally normal for her.

In other news, I managed with the help of some friends to get my girlfriend hooked on the Dresden Files. She's taking her sweet time, mostly due to being far busier than me, but she's been enjoying it a lot. I believe she's just recently gotten into Proven Guilty, and she seems to be having fun with it. She complained to me tonight about having to go to bed just as the Carpenters' house gets attacked.

This is going to tide me over til the next book, I think.:allears:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

veekie posted:

I was thinking a little more natural since Demonreach can terraform the island at will, but sure, why not? Those souls have power to burn.

Speaking of those prisoners, I can't wait to find out more about the guy that just wants him to piss off.

SageSepthAtWork posted:

there's also the income issues, for nearly the entire time he lived in that house he had little to no money

Did anyone else catch if He's getting paid as a warden commander, The Warden, or Winter Knight? I know Mab occasionally just gives him nice stuff, Demonreach gives him a "safe" place to live, and he hasn't really been doing the regular warden job, but does he have any actual income?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Probably not anymore. He does have an ultra-wealthy brother, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did anyone else catch if He's getting paid as a warden commander, The Warden, or Winter Knight? I know Mab occasionally just gives him nice stuff, Demonreach gives him a "safe" place to live, and he hasn't really been doing the regular warden job, but does he have any actual income?

He's also probably still officially dead, as far as bank accounts and such go (though I think the Gatekeeper said he'd take care of sorting all that out for him).

Then again, it's Harry. His 'bank account' was probably a pillowcase in his apartment. (I'm pretty sure at the least he said he couldn't really use credit cards because the magnetic strips stopped working about a day after he got them.)

Wittgen posted:

Probably not anymore. He does have an ultra-wealthy brother, though.

True, though Thomas blew most of his personal wealth paying off Kincaid for Harry after Blood Rites. Though since he's back in the fold again, he's probably got some money to throw around.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 10, 2014

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

docbeard posted:

Then again, it's Harry. His 'bank account' was probably a pillowcase in his apartment. (I'm pretty sure at the least he said he couldn't really use credit cards because the magnetic strips stopped working about a day after he got them.)

He uses cheques

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well don't forget, Harry pointed out during his Little Chicago spiel that Wardens were surprisingly well-paid due to Luccio exploiting loopholes. So in the end I guess it all comes down to how well Rashid is at taking care of the paperwork.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

SageSepthAtWork posted:

I am not the least bit confused. I am saying that Harry's having to take cold showers because Magic, has always bugged me being that the technology was invented well before the series-declared WWII cutoff. The mention was to contribute to the discussion because I wasn't aware how long gas technology actually has been around, and I thought that might be true for others.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

True, though Thomas blew most of his personal wealth paying off Kincaid for Harry after Blood Rites. Though since he's back in the fold again, he's probably got some money to throw around.

He definitely has White Court resources again, given the "24 hours" contingency card in Cold Days.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I kind of assumed he lost his job. He took a sudden leave of absence without warning, hired himself to a rival, and can't perform any of his duties because he has to live on a remote island. What is this 24 hours card? Am I forgetting something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was thinking a little more natural since Demonreach can terraform the island at will, but sure, why not? Those souls have power to burn.

Speaking of those prisoners, I can't wait to find out more about the guy that just wants him to piss off.

Can't see it being anyone other than Merlin

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Wittgen posted:

I kind of assumed he lost his job. He took a sudden leave of absence without warning, hired himself to a rival, and can't perform any of his duties because he has to live on a remote island. What is this 24 hours card? Am I forgetting something.

Credit card backed by White Court wealth. Once activated, it's good for 24 hours. Thomas says it has no limit.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Zola posted:

I am saying that Harry's having to take cold showers because Magic, has always bugged me being that the technology was invented well before the series-declared WWII cutoff.

I think it's been pretty clear that there's a mental issue going on here, not a physical issue - so, for instance, if the Insane Clown Posse were magicians, they'd be unable to use anything magnetic...

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Tunicate posted:

Can't see it being anyone other than Merlin

If he were still there, why would he need someone else to be Warden?

A full-on Outsider D-Day seems like the sort of thing that he would have woken up for if it was him

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Donraj posted:

If he were still there, why would he need someone else to be Warden?

A full-on Outsider D-Day seems like the sort of thing that he would have woken up for if it was him

Well, in several versions of the myth, Merlin is the bastard son of Satan himself. I can see him needing to lock himself up.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Where is this blurb brought up? I don't remember it at all.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Where is this blurb brought up? I don't remember it at all.

It's from the reading that Butcher did for some convention. It's on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Its also in the paperback, so if you were impatient and bought the hardcover you need to borrow it off of a friend.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Arcsech posted:

It's from the reading that Butcher did for some convention. It's on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

A reading from Skin Game, I assume?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Grundulum posted:

A reading from Skin Game, I assume?

There's a preview of Skin Games at the end of the book Cold Days. PARKOOOUR!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Exmond posted:

I was wondering what you guys were talking about, then I realized there wasn't a preview of Skin Games in the iBooks version of Cold Days. :smith:

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

A member of my normal gaming group wasn't able to show up tonight, so instead of our regularly scheduled 13th Age game I ran the Neutral Grounds module of Dresden Files RPG.

We hit peak Dresden when the retired police detective defeated the trailer-living, fedora-and-trenchcoat-wearing, katana-collecting, hentai-watching Red Court Vampire within the first round of combat. By threatening to repeatedly shoot said vampire's iMac.

It was pretty great.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

AlphaDog posted:

Not to get too nitpicky but the Blue Beetle only works 9 days out of 10 and Harry count's it as a testament to his mechanic's prowess that it even works that often. While having his car break down occasionally is part of being a wizard, having his gun malfunction during a life or death situation ends with a dead Dresden, thus a semi is "too modern". Not to mention he's using his gun while slinging magic left and right, the Beetle has issues even when Harry is calm.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

chami posted:

I was wondering what you guys were talking about, then I realized there wasn't a preview of Skin Games in the iBooks version of Cold Days. :smith:

Try redownloading it? My Nook has it and I bought Cold Days on release.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

A member of my normal gaming group wasn't able to show up tonight, so instead of our regularly scheduled 13th Age game I ran the Neutral Grounds module of Dresden Files RPG.

We hit peak Dresden when the retired police detective defeated the trailer-living, fedora-and-trenchcoat-wearing, katana-collecting, hentai-watching Red Court Vampire within the first round of combat. By threatening to repeatedly shoot said vampire's iMac.

It was pretty great.

The Dresden RPGs in general are awesome for their big leeway in terms of creativity. I remember trying the fudge rules RPG with some friends, and among other things in the campaign there was some holy sword swinging (not the big 3) church guy whose backstory tiptoed a little close to Travis Touchdown's. He wasn't a sex-craving sociopath, but he was a dorky goon-turned holy protector.

Dealing with the police always resulted in awkward hilarity. Man, I'd love to give that system another try. It was fun enough just creating the setting.:allears:

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Exmond posted:

Is this around anywhere else? I don't think much was written of Skin Game when I got Cold Days.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

-Fish- posted:

It was pretty great.

The Dresden RPG is amazing. Stuff like that is not only possible, but encouraged by the system itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Exmond posted:

Im kind of worried about the October Daye series. Im almost halfway through book one and so far I think we have met 1-2 men who aren't hopelessly in love with October.

Does it get better? Is there any more action scenes in the books?

It's been a while since I finished my readthrough of them but from my recollection Toby gets the poo poo kicked out of her like any respectable Urban Fantasy protagonist quite a bit. I can think of like maybe 3 people you've met at that point who love Toby, but it will all work out. Now there ARE a lot of people who love her, but definitely in more of the 'familial love' way.

• Locked thread