Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

MeruFM posted:

C# is kinda nice in some ways but using getset syntactic sugar as the reason is p bad

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
I CAME FOR THE SNYPES

edit; MOTHER FCUCKAD;SLJFHASDLKUFHBASDLKFUB

i'm a terrible programmer so this missed snipe is perfect.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
terrible poster zone

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
page -0 snypah

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

y do u bother with getter and setter methods if there's no logic in them u could just use the public field directly

this is a No Trolling Zone.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
thx for the proxy snipe

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Werthog 95 posted:

setters are usually an indication of awful! getters mean you don't care about OO which might be okay but probably isn't if you think setters are fine

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah why are getters and setters a thing

also what are properties

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
properties are things which you get or set

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
isn't the point of no-logic getters and setters that you can put some logic in them maybe at somepoint in the future without breaking everything for ever more you idiot?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
they're nice if you gotta go fast

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

properties are for when your program is a pile of transaction layers that makes histograms for people who don't read them

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Werthog 95 posted:

:hehe:

e: just use structs

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

just let everything be public, who cares. if you gently caress up its your fault

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
public int foo

public int getFoo()

hell yeah private sucks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gucci void main posted:

just let everything be public, who cares. if you gently caress up its your fault

unironically this

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the public/private debate is like people who are worried about polluting global in javascript

yeah it can technically be a problem but come on

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Bloody posted:

unironically this

write all things in c, that way you can be punished or rewarded capriciously for any transgressions

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

git clone trooper posted:

the public/private debate is like people who are worried about polluting global in javascript

yeah it can technically be a problem but come on

one day future-shaggar will replace you with future-xaml

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Brain Candy posted:

write all things in c, that way you can be punished or rewarded capriciously for any transgressions

pretty much all the code i write that matters at all is written in c so ill take this happily

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i have a dream of a c compiler that recognizes undefined behavior and replaces any main with tetris

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm a terrible OO programmer, I end up using classes as modules/interfaces and end up writing in a nearly functional style :sigh:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

write a bunch of code under the assumption that case statements are the enemy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MononcQc posted:

I'm a terrible OO programmer, I end up using classes as modules/interfaces and end up writing in a nearly functional style :sigh:

same - i've spend the last day writing c using uthash and the code structure seems to be entirely the same as when i wrote the code in haskell except the folds and maps are now loops and i've inlined some stuff

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brain Candy posted:

write a bunch of code under the assumption that case statements are the enemy

case statements apparently lead to cyclomatic complexity

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

prefect posted:

case statements apparently lead to cyclomatic complexity

doesn't matter for toy projects, which is a reason why when you dabble in OO it seems dumb

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

What you need is Agda. Class instances /are/ modules.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible progeammer checking in

what's a good java alternative for "requests" python library?

i don't want connection management or streaming or cjing my packets or whatev i want to :justpost: with cookies (giving/receiving)

i am doing an android thing :suicide:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i dont really know ehre the yospos hangout general is so ill post this here. started a web dev class today and the lecturer unironically said that people that cant code are losers, "users are losers", walked around mocking designs, starting ragging on PHP for some reason and called it Pretty Horrible Programming and some other weird poo poo, he is also 6 foot tall with an australian accent and italian name

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
hmm sounds like a programmer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
he advised us to never undersell the difficulty of tasks and always make it sound like it is harder than it really is. pretty good advice imo even if dishonest. also said that "computer scientists are the gods of the future" and asked if anyone wanted to disagree with him, they did not

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

beep boop i wasted my entire life in front of a computer now I'm neitzches ubermensch

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Valeyard posted:

i dont really know ehre the yospos hangout general is so ill post this here. started a web dev class today and the lecturer unironically said that people that cant code are losers, "users are losers", walked around mocking designs, starting ragging on PHP for some reason and called it Pretty Horrible Programming and some other weird poo poo, he is also 6 foot tall with an australian accent and italian name

hangout is cjs thread

he was right about php

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Valeyard posted:

also said that "computer scientists are the gods of the future" and asked if anyone wanted to disagree with him, they did not

everyone learned their first lesson: ignore the sperg with a toxic attitude

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wouldn't call it "underselling the difficulty" but many times when I think "oh this is gonna be piece of cake" it ends up... not being easy at all. gotta be on the safe side, I'm a retard full of poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
always pad your estimates is project management 101

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I know what you are saying about giving safe estimates, its better to finish something early than to run out of time and have someone asking why its not done. that is definetly not what he was alluding to though, he kept referring to himself as godlike

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shaggar posted:

always pad your estimates is project management 101
because most of the time it'll turn out to be not padding at all. hofstadter's law, etc

but yeah most importantly,

MononcQc posted:

ignore the sperg with a toxic attitude
software is people, just like everything else

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shaggar posted:

always double your estimates is project management 101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Valeyard posted:

ur lecturer sounds pretty yospos

• Locked thread