Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

recommended heavily to anyone who wants to dj ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

a milk crime posted:

recommended heavily to anyone who wants to dj ever

Agreed. Definitely helped me when I was just starting out.

Also their other book about DJ history is a really interesting read.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

What are you feeding into that mixer as far as audio sources?

Im not sure he realizes there are things that plug into the mixer that make noise.

"Playing with mixers"

I really like that to describe what we do. I especially like that someone whos into the scene thinks that what we do.

Does anyone have any playing with mixer gigs that are both awesome and totally mind numbing at the same time?

I just got this one, and its at "nice" restaurant bar thing, but goddamn its just old rich square white people getting wasted, so you can imagine the great music i get to play. And the worst part is.....i only play 15 mins an hr because i fill in for the band the night. So i sit for 45 mins and read my phone and eat chicken wings, and jump up for 15 mins, play poo poo music, and then sit back down.

But, they pay me a decent amount in cash no taxes or none of that poo poo, and its super easy so thats the awesome part i guess. Ive done worse for less i figure.

But fuckin a man, fuckin a. Itll make you want to get a real job sometimes.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling a DJM-900 + flightcase for $1000. I wish I had that kind of spending money right now. :negative:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

There's a guy on my local Craigslist selling a DJM-900 + flightcase for $1000. I wish I had that kind of spending money right now. :negative:

That sounds like a thousand dollar gut wound.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Do you guys get your music from DJ bloggers like the CJ milli website from ages back? If there is any notable bloggers around can you please link them for me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Harley C posted:

Do you guys get your music from DJ bloggers like the CJ milli website from ages back? If there is any notable bloggers around can you please link them for me.

soundcloud.com
hypem.com

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Harley C posted:

http://hardwax.com

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Harley C posted:

if it's electronic music than following specific labels/artists on Facebook, twitter, soundcloud, & youtube is an easy way to stay up to date on all their new releases. More so with the label thing.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I haven't really looked at DJ hardware in a while, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there anything that's effectively a Xone:42 but with a real audio interface built into it so that you don't have to have a separate 8-out interface and is under 1K? Not the wimpy 2i/o the Xone:42 has got, and the DB2/4 are too expensive (and I also don't really need the FX). :( I need to upgrade my old rear end Xone:32.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
SeratoDJ users: Is it possible to hear effects applied to what's in cue? I've looked through settings but didn't see anything, and my google-fu is failing.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Alfajor posted:

SeratoDJ users: Is it possible to hear effects applied to what's in cue? I've looked through settings but didn't see anything, and my google-fu is failing.

It's been a while since I used my DDJ (spilled beer on my laptop :() but I don't think so.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

baltimoron posted:

if it's electronic music than following specific labels/artists on Facebook, twitter, soundcloud, & youtube is an easy way to stay up to date on all their new releases. More so with the label thing.

Yeah I already do this I just wanted to go deeper. Thanks for the links everyone.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

roboshit posted:

It's been a while since I used my DDJ (spilled beer on my laptop :() but I don't think so.
Thanks.
Feel free to ship that DDJ to me then, my laptop is fine, and so is my backup laptop.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's inject some more controversy into this thread because I'm bored today. This has been making the rounds on my FB feed amongst promoters and the like; Dillon Francis at Holy Ship viciously insulting a dancer for spilling a drink on his laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDRK9fAtqoU

What are your thoughts on this? I'm more surprised than anything, that a DJ of his caliber doesn't at least have a pair of thumb drives or a small stack of DVDs as a backup. I also don't think he handled it very professionally - I've been mad at gear situations before (I even backhanded a kid once for spinning back one of my platters) but I very quickly learned that it doesn't help, and cursing out some poor girl over the PA is never as funny as you think it sounds in your head. But that's another story - again I'm surprised, kind of amazed actually, that a top-billed DJ doesn't have some sort of immediate backup plan. I'm almost inclined to say there's something else going on here, like maybe that was his backup lappy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

But having a backup laptop costs money, money that you could be spending making stupid loving youtube videos for your idiot fans... I have poo poo on the laptop, thumb drives and on mediafire/FTP to my house. If something goes wrong I got that poo poo covered.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

88h88 posted:

But having a backup laptop costs money, money that you could be spending making stupid loving youtube videos for your idiot fans... I have poo poo on the laptop, thumb drives and on mediafire/FTP to my house. If something goes wrong I got that poo poo covered.

I have two of the same model drives ghosted and backed up, one goes in my bag and one is at my parents house in an overnight fedex mailer.

Redundancy Bitches!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I just assumed he was yelling because he was drunk.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Old Man Pants posted:

I have two of the same model drives ghosted and backed up, one goes in my bag and one is at my parents house in an overnight fedex mailer.
This is kind of :awesome:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Alfajor posted:

This is kind of :awesome:

haha, thanks. I've had a critical hard drive failure at a gig and it cost me $500 in booking fees, plus that club never booked me again. $200 in hard drives and a few hours work later and that will never ever happen to me again.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I got the Traktor Kontrol Z1 mk2 yesterday - this thing is great. Build quality is the same as the maschine - seems very solid and difficult to break. The sliders and knobs are nice, crossfader a little wobbly for my liking. The buttons click nicely. It instantly syncs with Traktor DJ on the iPad, you just plug it in and it works. Each track has a filter/fx knob that let's you control on parameter in either filter or your default effects, but can't do two at once, even if they are on different tracks. Pitch syncing does not work on the Z1 - only the s2 and s5. Eqs. Gain, master gain, and cues finish it out as a good mixer for the iPad app. If you want to do scratching, you have to buy the more expensive model, but for me this is the best dj setup I've ever used. Compact, portable, instant access to my music library. No real fear of crashes.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mister Speaker posted:

Let's inject some more controversy into this thread because I'm bored today. This has been making the rounds on my FB feed amongst promoters and the like; Dillon Francis at Holy Ship viciously insulting a dancer for spilling a drink on his laptop.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm more surprised than anything, that a DJ of his caliber doesn't at least have a pair of thumb drives or a small stack of DVDs as a backup. I also don't think he handled it very professionally - I've been mad at gear situations before (I even backhanded a kid once for spinning back one of my platters) but I very quickly learned that it doesn't help, and cursing out some poor girl over the PA is never as funny as you think it sounds in your head. But that's another story - again I'm surprised, kind of amazed actually, that a top-billed DJ doesn't have some sort of immediate backup plan. I'm almost inclined to say there's something else going on here, like maybe that was his backup lappy.

From other who were on the ship with me and who talked to Dillon (so 3rd party and take it for what it's worth), part of the issue was that he had some new compositions he was working on on the laptop and he thought it was completely toast with no backups. Heard he apologized later and that he got everything except the trackpad working on the laptop again.

So backups. They're kinda important. Dropbox is wonderful for keeping files in sync with a home studio or for collaborations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

That was really loving rude and uncalled for. I dont think ill ever look at him again. She was just doing her job, and made a mistake....and he was just doing his job and made a mistake(by not having another cloned computer in his bag).

Poor form overall.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've only seen him once at Sea of Dreams NYE and his set was one of the worst things I have ever heard - not just my opinion but the opinion of my entire group (whom I should point out were mostly on MDMA) which included several dillion francis fans (me not included). So you know something is up when people are rolling and hated it. I've heard similar reviews of friends who have seen him recently, so when I saw that video I basically just rolled my eyes and closed the window. I don't care for him or his attitude at this point and not really surprised to see it posted in this thread.

That said, I would be pretty upset* if this happened to me, but at the same time, if I were in his shoes (i.e. if I was a major name/massive headliner like he is), I would have had backups. Hell, I would have had backups anyway. *I definitely wouldn't have had the reaction he did. By upset I mean, internally and in a "god dammit" fashion, not a "gently caress you dumb bitch" fashion. Things like this are just life and he isn't above them.

And I don't really give a poo poo if he apologized after his PR agent probably demanded he do. Unprofessional.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 17, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I download a lot of stuff during the week on my computer at work. When I import everything to my DJing laptop, I like to convert all wavs to mp3s (at 320, stereo). I've been using Audacity to do this, and I'm tired of doing one at a time. I searched and found a batch workflow that is definitely faster than one at a time, but still requires a lot of clicking around.
I'm on Win7, and what I'd really like is a batch file that scans a folder and all subfolders, and converts *.wav to mp3. This should be simple to script up, but maybe someone already has it and saves me all that :effort:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

I download a lot of stuff during the week on my computer at work. When I import everything to my DJing laptop, I like to convert all wavs to mp3s (at 320, stereo). I've been using Audacity to do this, and I'm tired of doing one at a time. I searched and found a batch workflow that is definitely faster than one at a time, but still requires a lot of clicking around.
I'm on Win7, and what I'd really like is a batch file that scans a folder and all subfolders, and converts *.wav to mp3. This should be simple to script up, but maybe someone already has it and saves me all that :effort:

Theres this tiny little program called itunes that will batch convert wav to mp3 for you.

Step 1: Select.
Step 2: Right click.
Step 3: Create mp3 version.
Step 4: Ascend to higher plane of consciousness.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genuinely the only thing itunes is useful for.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Alfajor posted:

I use dBpoweramp for this.

edit: you can convert your files into literally any format including extreme insane variable bit rate mp3s with it. Not sure if iTunes can do that.

roboshit fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 20, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

oredun posted:

Theres this tiny little program called itunes that will batch convert wav to mp3 for you.

Thanks, never heard of it.
On a non-sarcastic level: yeah, that works too, but you still have to do it on a file-per-file basis, and know if they're wav or already mp3.

roboshit posted:

I use dBpoweramp for this.
I'll check this one out. Thank you!

Just in case it wasn't clear, what I really want is to double-click on one file, and let it all be done automatically. Next step from there, is schedule the task to run once a week, and all is done automatically. The script would do something along the lines of:
convert_to_mp3 *.wav -s -r 320 (made up parameters are: -s scan all subfolders and -r for bitrate).

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

On a non-sarcastic level: yeah, that works too, but you still have to do it on a file-per-file basis, and know if they're wav or already mp3.

You select one file, then hold shift and select the last file. It will batch select and convert them.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Alfajor posted:

I'll check this one out. Thank you!

Jesus christ. Make a smart playlist where filetype=WAV and then select-all and batch convert. It's not rocket science

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
iTunes will distinguish by file type - you can set an option where you sort by file type or bitrate.

Why are you using all these wav files? Don't they take up a lot of room? MP3 is not the greatest codec but a 320kbps or v0 is going to be good enough, unless you are doing massive time-stretching or pitching everything down. Is this music you made and exported? Or are you downloading/ripping wavs or flac? Apple lossless codec works with most dj programs.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

It's just the occasional download from SoundCloud that is only available as a wav... but by now, I've got enough of them that I want to convert them to mp3 320kbps.
I don't really use iTunes to manage my DJing music because it fucks up my neat library of "regular" music that goes into my iPod. First world problems.
Anyway, I think I found a good option to write my script. I'll share it if I get it to work, to hopefully show the point I'm trying to make (which is admittedly not a big deal, please don't be so angry guys)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

You can make a new library just for DJing. I have one for DJing and everyday listening.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

keevo posted:

You can make a new library just for DJing. I have one for DJing and everyday listening.

I do this as well. Easiest way to keep DJ stuff separate from the iTunes Match library I share with my wife

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1589

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

wellshit :monocle:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
So my pioneer mixer pooped out on me. Does anyone know the fastest best way to get pioneer to fix it? So far ive never even been able to through to support on the phone(this scares me) and can only communicate via email with them. I looked for authorized repair place near me but there isnt any.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

oredun posted:

So my pioneer mixer pooped out on me. Does anyone know the fastest best way to get pioneer to fix it? So far ive never even been able to through to support on the phone(this scares me) and can only communicate via email with them. I looked for authorized repair place near me but there isnt any.

What model? Pioneer mixers are fairly ubiquitous so most electronic repair shops should be able to handle it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

oredun posted:

Does anyone know the fastest best way to get pioneer to fix it?

You are looking at weeks to months if you send it to pioneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

You are looking at weeks to months if you send it to pioneer.

Thats what Im afraid of.

Its a DJM-T1