Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Apple Tree posted:

To be fair, it's written from the point of view of a character who refers to regular people as 'organics', so it's supposed to sound like a robot. The point of the digression is, I think, to establish that 'Snowball' is not an 'organic'.

Which could work, if it didn't take so long to get to what's actually happening in the scene. It's a sound technique, just not very crisply used here.

(And by that logic, if Snowball thinks of emotion as being shown by the muscles around the eyes rather than in the eyes, saying that the 'eyes show ... emotion' and talking about it being the colour that shows the feeling throws the tone. If your inorganic character reads feeling by looking at muscles, that's what she should be registering; if it's 'nonsense' to see feeling in the eyes, similes about mist and steel and battleships are not the way to go; they're too 'organic'. Snowball, as presented here, should either be analogy-free, or else be talking about the outer corners of her eyes being creased like the corners of a mouth holding in a sob, or something.)

That is really what I was trying to get at. While I don't read a lot of sci-fi, I'm sure robot narrators have been done well... and by that I mean without the tonal contradictions you bring up, and by not writing something that moves at the speed of a glacier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

TV Tropes Writer's Block never disappoints.

Oh wait did I say never? I meant always.

quote:

I'll start off with this point: I'm an African-American (a fact that i myself was unaware of until my early teens).

I know all too well that i'd be just one among many Black authors, that doesn't really bother me, but what does is the legacy that African-American authors have left, and my inability to follow suit.

African-American authors have been known to write stories about their own hardships and/or the hardships of caricatures of themselves. They also delve into serious and soulful ideas and concepts (hope, faith, etc.)

However, the stories i've always written were Adventure, Fantasy and/or Sci-Fi. I'm not even sure if i could even write stories like, say, Maya Angelou.

Is this a problem?
:psyduck:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The more I read that the less sense it makes to me.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Djeser posted:

Sure smells like transethnic over here.

e: either that, or white guy found out that his great great great grandfather was black and now thinks he is LeVar Burton.

DoctorPresident fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 10, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mention a random quirk of your world!

quote:

Personal shields are virtually non-existent in my sci-fi setting I'm worldbuilding at the moment. The only personal shields that do exist come out of a gauntlet and extend to be like a tower shield. However they don't do anything to protect you from lasers. I even considered making personal shields power the laser as they went through, making a shot from a laser pistol say, have the same power as if you were hit by a sniper rifle laser, then I thought "That's far too OP" and kept the shields as having no effect on deflecting lasers.

quote:

My D&D/fantasy novel setting. World War I era technology in a world where society evolved with both science and magic.

Humans and elves evolved from a common ape-like ancestor with a simian tail. Humans lived in trees during prehistoric ages and kept their tails as a result. Now they can use them like a third arm.

quote:

story about a parallel Earth which consisted of one large island in a vast ocean, located in the same general location as Madagascar and accessible via an interdimensional ocean barge, where interdimensional rifts had deposited plants and animals and people from various eras of the history and prehistory of our Earth. The island continent was inhabited by an ethnically distinct group of humans closely related to the aboriginal Australians but with deep-red hair, coexisting with dinosaurs and other hominids like Homo erectus and Australopithecus afarensis (which the Homo sapien tribes worship, believing them to be their ancestors, and having religion centered around ancestor worship).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So...not humans?

I don't think that troper knows much about evolution.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

DoctorPresident posted:

I'm simultaneously annoyed and extremely glad that I didn't think of that myself.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DoctorPresident posted:

e: either that, or white guy found out that his great great great grandfather was black and now thinks he is LeVar Burton.

I know someone who didn't know her dad was black passing as white until he died, and she met her aunt(s?) and uncle(s?) for the first time.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Maybe his family are all black albinos.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DoctorPresident posted:

I dunno, I could honestly see a black kid struggling with the gap between the African-American literary canon they hope to emulate and the less-highbrow writing they actually enjoy doing. It's just phrased in the most Troper-y way possible. "I'm black, black people write like this, I like to write like that, so instead of questioning my incredibly shallow knowledge of literature based on a website that specializes in reducing artistic concepts to their most simplistic elements and sorting them into bins, I'll ask how I can write like the website tells me black people should be writing! Genius!"

EDIT: Wow, I totally missed the part where he didn't know he was black until his early teens. I certainly hope this is about genealogical discoveries and not transethnicity, but this makes it even more tragically BEEP BOOP MUST FIT ASPIRATIONS INTO CLEARLY LABELED TVTROPES-APPROVED BIN.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The part that takes it from regular weird to troper weird is the fact that he only recently learned he was black. Now, this could be actually finding out one of his grandfathers was black or something, not not just weird transethnic stuff.

But the thing is that this guy went "wow, guess I'm black" and then thought "guess I have to write black stuff now". It's not just phrased in troper-language, it's a very troperish way of seeing things.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
It isn't just tvtropes that stereotypes black writers, out whole culture does that.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant it like "I wasn't aware of race and what it meant to me until my teens" or something like that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Morkyz posted:

It isn't just tvtropes that stereotypes black writers, out whole culture does that.

Oh, yeah, I'm not saying this is a phenomenon unique to TVTropes or anything. It's just a particularly uncomfortable manifestation of the tendency with Tropers to accept societal biases and stereotypes as the unvarnished truth or immutable laws of the universe, instead of things that can be questioned or judged.

Quarter Past Ten
Jan 17, 2012

When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?
Animal Crossing is a cute little Nintendo game. Let's see what TvTropes has to say about it:

Ho Yay posted:

The characters with the Lazy personality and the characters with the Jock personality usually end up as friends. Really. Close. Friends. In Wild World, they sometimes end up having a conversation with the lazy character complimenting the jock character with such compliments as "And those dimples you get when you smile are dreamy too". The conversation ends with both of them skipping away. Very. Happily.

This happens with the "grumpy" and "lazy" personalities as well. Specifically a conversation with the "lazy" requesting the "grumpy" to breathe on him.

New Leaf introduced two new personalities, Smug and Uchi. Smug villagers have been known to wax poetic about romantic themes, even to male players, and as a result many players think of them as Ambiguously Bi. As for Uchi characters, if a female player talks to them frequently in a short period of time, they'll comment on how they're "even popular with the girls today" and that they're not used to that.

For added fun, listen in on a Smug villager interacting with another Smug villager. You'll get conversations from them smelling each other and complimenting each other's scent to them worrying about public gossip about they're relationship with each other.
Oh. :saddowns:

They also have an entire separate page for "Getting Crap Past the Radar" because of course they do.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Would any of you guys know if there's a thread in TV Tropes that has some tropers blabbing about their homebrew RPG settings?
Well, besides their fiction, but you know what I mean.
Seems like a goldmine of troper tripe.

Egregious Offences fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Egregious Offences posted:

Would any of you guys know if there's a thread in TV Tropes that has some tropers blabbing about their homebrew RPG settings?
Well, besides their fiction, but you know what I mean.
Seems like a goldmine of troper tripe.
Even better.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

No attention is paid to the concept of mechanical rules

You don't say.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Sympathetic Slaveholders

backpack posted:

I have an idea for a story, and I’m having a bit of trouble walking one particular tightrope. I want the protagonist to be: 1) a slave-owner from a slave-owning culture, 2) not any more progressive than the rest of his culture, and 3) sympathetic.

Now, obviously, for this to work I’m going to have to make the form of slavery one of the milder forms, while still making it clear that the character’s values are fundamentally different from our own. What I’ve decided on his more or less this: There are two major Empires on this continent, in an on-again-off-again war. Since they have such a monopoly on various resources, they need to trade. For the outlying provinces this is no big deal, but for the wealthier areas it would be seen as “unseemly” to trade with the enemy. So for several centuries they’ve “haven’t gotten around” to conquering a number of independent cities in the Southern part of the continent (think Italy, basically), and they both trade with these cities, and thus indirectly with each other. This allowed these cities to be very lacking in conflict (basically, their wealth is in trade not conquest, so they don’t fight each other, for fear of causing one or both of the Empires to step in to protect their own ports of trade. They deal with all of their competitive needs through dangerous competitions. On top of that they’ve become the home of some major universities, leading to a lot more free-thinking). Because of this, they’re a fairly progressive society, to the point where a whole new religion was developed, and was able to talk over the government of all of them (this religion is considered bleed-hearted as hell everywhere else).

Now, how does this deal with slavery? Basically, one of the tenants of the religion is that while not everyone is equal, everyone has some basic rights, and slave owners have to respect that. So, whenever a slave owner acquires a slave he’s required to recite an oath in the temple which goes more or less as follows:

He/she will have food, water, and air as I do (not to say the same amount, the point is if you have some, you can’t let them starve) I shall shed no blood, break no bones through malicious intent (note that these two don’t forbid physical punishment, just limit it. Furthermore, they mean you’re not responsible for accidents, and if you kill a slave in self-defense you’ve done nothing wrong).

I should also mention that there are other regulations not explicitly stated in the law, that are still assumed to apply. One of the main ones being that there’s a festival every year in which every slave must be presented publicly, so that he or she can make any accusations of crimes against his or her master (if a slave can’t attend due to infirmary or travel, a public servant will meet privately with them at a suitable time). Also, certain slaves with extraordinary talents (specifically in the arts) can get the State to buy them from their Master, at which point they’re indentured to the city until they work off their debt, and are then free (the “debt” is kind of vaguely defined, though, and realistically it means “your kids go free, and you’ll get to retire with a decent pension”).

But, this still leaves a lot of questions. I have some prospective answers, but I’d still like it if people could present me with other possibilities:

-The first issue is rape. I feel like making it illegal to have sex with your slaves against their will would be going too far (although I decided that sex with children is a grave offense in their religion), but at the same time I feel like this is something that can’t be accepted. What I’ve considered is making it more of a taboo than forbidden, and making certain things likewise expected from the slave. Basically, a Master theoretically can force sex, but its frowned upon, and he’ll be ostracized. However, he can forbid a slave from seeing someone he/she loves, and the slave is expected to tolerate a certain level of behavior that might otherwise be regarded as creepy (basically, if he likes you he can spend his entire life trying to seduce you if he wants).

-The next issue, obviously, is the children of slaves. I’m thinking it would be going too far in the sympathetic direction to just make them free…but, at the same time, there’ve been plenty of cultures in which the children of slaves have been born free.

-Trading with the two Empires (which don’t have such regard for slaves). I can see where this would get complicated, particularly if a citizen of one of the two cities traveled with slaves outside it. My thinking on this is that its forbidden for a “citizen” of their State (regardless of where he or she is) to sell to a non-citizen (barring citizens of one of the other cities).

Any other suggestions on how to work this?

So basically, This Troper wants to make a slaveowner sympathetic. Certainly, there are ways to go about this. You could, for instance, portray him as someone who treats his slaves well in a society where this doesn't really happen. But our artiste has decided to take away that angle. Our protagonist slaveowner can't be any more progressive than the rest of the slaveholders in this culture.

Now, if the slaveowner is presented in a more progressive light than the rest of the country, you have a recipe for an interesting character study - a person who wrestles with his conscience over the ownership of slaves in a society that expects him to. If the slaveowner is no different from society, it loses that angle and changes the message of the story dramatically - if slaveownership is normal and everyone treats their slaves fairly well, the message is "These are good people! They own slaves! You can still be a good person and own slaves!"

Because our hypothetical slaveowner is no more progressive than the rest of society, it makes the mention of rape even more squicky. If rape does occur (and in slaveholding societies it will, sure as the sun rises), then our "sympathetic" protagonist might well engage in it too. If not, he could also creep on his slaves too, which doesn't have quite the social stigma.

None of the replies to this post really address this angle, just encourage the OP that nothing is wrong.

Topazan posted:

It's not such an impossible task Judah Ben-Hur was a slaveowner, and he was sympathetic.

Matt Striker posted:

If you can imagine a sympathetic feudal lord, you can also do so with a slaveholder. In many parts of the world, the difference between 'serf' and 'slave' was largely a question of semantics for a long, long time. In many ways, an ancient roman slave was actually better off than a peasant somewhere in medieval germany.

I guess since slaves were better off in the southern USA than they were in Africa, that means that holding someone in involuntary servitude is okay!

backpack comes in to clarify his setting a little.

backpack posted:

I thought I should give you guys some introduction to how the story starts off:

Basically, the main character is participating in my fantasy version of the Kula Ring. During major storms young noblemen from the cities (I think I've decided there are two, but I may add a third, but I'd have to figure out how they're positioned geographically) try to swim across a straight with nothing but short pants, a knife in their mouth (their are small kraken, no more than 10-feet long, in the straight), and a shell necklace around their neck. Basically, they have several partners in the city across the straight, and they try to bring the necklace to one of the partners, whose waiting for them on the other side. The idea is that the more times the necklace has been given (the real Kula ring involves sailing canoes and exchanging bracelets for necklaces, but it doesn't need to be exact), the more prestige you get. And when you give the necklace, you're expected to receive a gift of some value in exchange (as in monetary or useful value, not just honor).

Basically, the protagonist is given a female slave, who he's told has basically been shipped in from the newest territory one of the two Empires is in the process of conquering (they've expanded beyond the main continent). He basically intended her as a novelty thing, since her ethnicity of slave is relatively new as a major market.

I'm still working on some details (like why he would bother getting to know her, given that he already has dozens of slaves).

Oh god this is going to end in rape, isn't it :ohdear:

resetlocksley posted:

This is an interesting idea. I think you've mostly got it figured out alright.

As for why he gets to know her, maybe she's skilled in some task that involves spending time with him on a daily basis. Maybe something similar to a personal assistant, or a record-keeper, or some kind of administrative job over the other slaves. Or maybe he just spends a few minutes with her one day and decides he likes her.

backpack seals the deal with his next post

backpack posted:

(btw, one more concern I'm still holding is that I feel a bit like Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil is too much of a modern value, but at the same time I know that past cultures have made rapists outlaws)

Yeah, I think I know two major factors that would interest him in her: the first is he'd be interested in learning about another culture.

The second is that they're both practitioners of different types of magic. Basically, I want to emphasize that "magic" in this world is just stuff that people don't understand, and so different types of magic don't necessarily function on the same rules or principles. In his case, and in the case of many other learned people, he can manipulate natural forces in small amounts by willpower (usually this is enough to light a candle). She's more skilled in dealing with spirits, who can't affect anything physically, but can affect people mentally. Other types (the REALLY dangerous stuff) involve artifice or runes, and only a few experts can really do it so that its remotely functional.

Yep this is ending in rape. :cry:

resetlocksley tries to get in a word of common sense before going off the rails

resetlocksley posted:

breadloaf is right about trying too hard to make him sympathetic, since accidentally portraying slavery in a positive light is definitely to be avoided. However, I would advise caution in going too far the other way if the story isn't meant to have "slavery is bad" as an Aesop. I mean, obviously it shouldn't say "slavery is good" but if the story's simply not meant to drop an anvil about slavery, shoehorning an Aesop in might not work so well. You know what I mean? It could just be left as a neutral thing that the audience feels is bad but the story doesn't try too hard in either direction. Just make it clear that your main character isn't a total jerk and it should work okay.

peter34 posted:

"Sympathetic slave owner" is no different from "sympathetic dog owner". If you can wrap your head around that, you'll be good to go.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: "Sympathetic slave owner" is no different from "sympathetic dog owner"

I'm sure there's more gold to be found in this thread but it's destroying my faith in humanity's better nature. :smithicide:

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Oh wow. About halfway through the first page and we get a gem of a post.

Bluespade posted:

They have two phrases used as common greetings: one is formal and polite, while the other is simple and casual, the Orc equivalent of "hi." The casual greeting basically means "Hey, wanna gently caress?" However they have an old superstition that a child conceived by rape will be cursed to a life of misfortune. Because of this, many Orcs actually consider rape to be worse than murder, and treat rapists accordingly. Though they will gladly proposition any person they take a liking too, they are generally polite about it and perfectly fine taking no for an answer.

It goes on... posted:

Elves age 3 times slower than humans, physically, but also somewhat mentally. Thus a 30 year old elf would appear roughly 10 years old, and have the mind of a 10 year old as well (though obviously they will have had considerably more lifetime experience than an actual ten year old). Young elves (those younger than 100 or so) are very curious and excitable, with analytical minds that want to know and experience everything they can. They often travel the world for the sake of wonder and adventure. As an elf gets older though, they become more and more introspective and philosophical, becoming more and more entranced with the theoretical and less interested in the world around them. This often leads to adult elves who have to hire human servants to handle their daily needs, since they themselves are so spacey and withdrawn that they forget to eat or take care of their house. Since elves live so long, most of them end up with the funds to maintain such a lifestyle.
Elves are almost entirely asexual, so that only maybe 1 in 10 elves ever bothers to have children, which prevents them from being so numerous that they take over the world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Some Idiot posted:

He/she will have food, water, and air as I do (not to say the same amount, the point is if you have some, you can’t let them starve) I shall shed no blood, break no bones through malicious intent (note that these two don’t forbid physical punishment, just limit it. Furthermore, they mean you’re not responsible for accidents, and if you kill a slave in self-defense you’ve done nothing wrong).

I'm sorry, what? Punishment is explicitly malicious intent. It is meant to punish. How can you go from swearing an oath to never harm your slave, to saying that a little physical punishment is still okay? And then he follows it up by saying that you've done nothing wrong if you kill a slave in self defense. Gee, I wonder why a slave would want to kill his owner, who by virtue of his birth is given hereditary ownership of you, while you're stuck doing his dirty work?

gently caress tropers.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

quote:

Elves age 3 times slower than humans, physically, but also somewhat mentally. Thus a 30 year old elf would appear roughly 10 years old, and have the mind of a 10 year old as well (though obviously they will have had considerably more lifetime experience than an actual ten year old).

I take it the human age of consent still applies, though, right? :tvtropes:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Oh wow. About halfway through the first page and we get a gem of a post.
Deliberately ignoring the obvious :gonk:ery, are the elves supposed to have litters of ten or something? Because that's what they'll need to survive as a species if they have a 10% birth rate. :rolleye:

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013
Yeah, I'm not going to go through that entire 101 page long thread. The trope page just links back to posts in the thread. No summation or explanation, just a post about some troper waxing about the stuff in the setting. And that's what gets me, that nothing about it seems complete, that they've put a lot of effort stuff they just pulled out of their rear end onto the thread and everyone said "Sounds good, we'll put it in." While "kitchen sink" setting get a lot of flak for being really bland because of how thin they're stretched and how nothing is novel when the setting has everything in it, the same thing is happening here. We have to have sex-addled kung-fu orcs and asexual goony elves because it's cool! We have to have blahblahblah because it's cool! Etc.
Also, this:

The blandest summation posted:

Colonisation and exploration. The New Lands are filled with wondrous and never-before-seen creates, environments, and artifacts, rich with untapped Ley Lines, and fraught with danger.

Magic Versus Technology. The undisputed superiority of magicians over common troops and even trained warriors is becoming, well, disputed. With the advent of technologies such as flintlock weaponry and cannons allowing footsoldiers and musketeers to rival their abilities on the battlefield, and constant innovations replacing enchantments in cities, magicians struggle to avoid being rendered obsolete.

The Nature of Good and Evil: Things aren't quite so clear cut in Sceal as they are in many settings. There are very few things that are evil for evil's sake. The question of whether you ae truly fighting the good fight is always in the air when what exactly constitutes good is always under questioning.
Also, the name of the setting is "Domhain Sceal", which, according to them, roughly translates to "Land of Tropes" in Irish.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Deliberately ignoring the obvious :gonk:ery, are the elves supposed to have litters of ten or something? Because that's what they'll need to survive as a species if they have a 10% birth rate. :rolleye:

I don't know, for a setting that's trying to divorce the various fantasy races from their normal Tolkien roots, they're failing. Sure, Dwarves are now good at magic and have "kickass" steampunk artificial limbs because of some weird hereditary disease that stunts growth, but they still live underground in mines, are skilled craftsmen, are greedy, etc. Elves are almost exactly the same as they are in standard fantasy; long lives, seclusion, low birth rate, but now with added agoraphobia and gooniness.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know, for a setting that's trying to divorce the various fantasy races from their normal Tolkien roots, they're failing. Sure, Dwarves are now good at magic and have "kickass" steampunk artificial limbs because of some weird hereditary disease that stunts growth, but they still live underground in mines, are skilled craftsmen, are greedy, etc. Elves are almost exactly the same as they are in standard fantasy; long lives, seclusion, low birth rate, but now with added agoraphobia and gooniness.

The fact that tropers still think in terms of fantasy races is a big problem with their fiction, and hell, fantasy fiction in general;. I know this is for a tabletop game, but fantasy races are essentially 19th century racial stereotypes (except for the elves, who are just bits and pieces of European myth welded together by various authors, or possibly an allegory for noble white people). They're the equivalent of the one theme sci-fi planet in star trek, a monolithic group with no individuality, who all operate on a weird biotruths logic with no regard to how a society of these people would or even could function. Now, as a one off thing in a sci-fi show, this works, because the planet is just a plot device to further a theme. But when you're trying to create a believable world, insisting on including the rock Jews or the aryan asexual manchildren from the get go ensures that your world will feel thrown together and disjointed, especially since framing it as racial differences basically cuts out any social commentary, since racial prejudice becomes justified due to inherent differences in people's biology.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 11, 2014

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Fiat Banking Nazi posted:

They're the equivalent of the one theme sci-fi planet in star trek, a monolithic group with no individuality, who all operate on a weird biotruths logic with no regard to how a society of these people would or even could function.
Oh! Oh! I know the trope for that! What do I win? (Aside from a Missing the Point merit badge?)

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

That page doesn't even go into why it's not a good idea to use it for anything more than a one-off story.

Instead we get a full paragraph on how to best implement this trope in our fiction.

quote:

Writers love to use the hat planet to represent controversial issues in society whenever they can. This way the show's characters can take a thinly disguised public stand on an issue that the network execs would otherwise consider too taboo to openly discuss. We can't have our heroes discussing euthanasia, but should they stumble across a Planet Of Hats where everyone who gets sick is put to death,then it's okay. Eventually the plots will run out with an entire race of identical people so one or more of the species will have their hat fall off, declaring My Species Doth Protest Too Much. Alternately, the show may explore why Klingon Scientists Get No Respect. For maximum typing, the characters can also be physically uniform, as in People of Hair Color

Nope, just the standard "tropes are good and you are a good writer if you use them."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Also, the name of the setting is "Domhain Sceal", which, according to them, roughly translates to "Land of Tropes" in Irish.

Scéal means "story" in Irish; domhain is the genitive of domhan, which means "Earth" (the planet, not dirt) in Irish.

So if "Of the Earth, story" is what they were going for, then they nailed it.

Here's what's stupid: every goddamned Irish legend is about the Land of Something, from the Tír na nÓg to the Tír fo Thuínn. The Land of Tropes is obviously the Tír na {whatever they think "tropes" are; if they think "stories" are good enough, then Scéalta, but my guess is that there is an Irish word for "literary trope"}.

Feel free to correct my admittedly lovely Irish.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 11, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Scéal means "story" in Irish; domhain is the genitive of domhan, which means "Earth" (the planet, not dirt) in Irish.

So if "Of the Earth, story" is what they were going for, then they nailed it.

Here's what's stupid: every goddamned Irish legend is about the Land of Something, from the Tír na nÓg to the Tír fo Thuínn. The Land of Tropes is obviously the Tír na {whatever they think "tropes" are; if they think "stories" are good enough, then Scéalta, but my guess is that there is an Irish word for "literary trope"}.

Feel free to correct my admittedly lovely Irish.

It apparently translates to "Tale world", if my own rusty Irish is right and google translate isn't full of poo poo, but by troper standards that's not a half-bad stab at it (you seem to be right about it being world as in a planet, as opposed to how they mean, though). Too bad they're just using it to be a bunch of pretentious shitbags, because if you went full Irish mythology with something like this it could almost be interesting.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Soulcleaver posted:

Oh! Oh! I know the trope for that! What do I win? (Aside from a Missing the Point merit badge?)

There's a trope for what you did too! I wonder what sort of examples it has!

quote:

Two Breast Expansion fetish mangas explore this concept with hilarious or saddening results:
* In one a loli girl insecure about not developing, and thinking her boyfriend wants big-breasted girls (he actually only wants her because she's a flat-chested loli) gets basketball sized breast implants...her boyfriend hates it and throws her out. The girl suspects it's because she's still too small and at the end she gets even bigger ones to try and please him. The second pair is bigger than her entire torso. At the end she struts arrogantly out of the clinic, boasting about her new size, only to fall over under the weight and find that she can't lift them, and ends up looking ridiculous.
* In another a flat chested girl gets rejected by breast obsessed boys, who only care about busty anime girls, one time too many and gets huge breast implants to try and meet their standards...but when they see it "in the flesh" they're so comically huge that they get squicked and reject her again. So she goes off and gets bigger ones, and they still reject her. At the end she once again thinks she's "too small" and has gotten even bigger implants, this time almost too big to move, hoping this will do the trick...
"ah yes you see it is a deconstruction :fap:"

Flesnolk posted:

Too bad they're just using it to be a bunch of pretentious shitbags, because if you went full Irish mythology with something like this it could almost be interesting.

In the third thread, some troper made a story centered on a creature from Irish mythology (leanan sidhe or something like that). It took what was a good premise for a horror story and turned it into a really lovely porn story. I believe that was Enemy Mayan, the same troper who also gave us an story about a schoolgirl being used as a knife rack erotically and something else with the immortal line "The dickgirls opened fire."

What I'm saying is that giving their story a stupid name and then never writing it is really the best-case scenario for these people.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 11, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

It apparently translates to "Tale world", if my own rusty Irish is right and google translate isn't full of poo poo, but by troper standards that's not a half-bad stab at it (you seem to be right about it being world as in a planet, as opposed to how they mean, though). Too bad they're just using it to be a bunch of pretentious shitbags, because if you went full Irish mythology with something like this it could almost be interesting.

Nah, the cases are wrong (and I've never seen domhan used for planet in general, that's pláinéad). Even if domhan can be used for planet, it's still wrong; instead of planet of tale, it's tale of planet.

But they probably got it right off Google Translate, which doesn't seem to understand case structure in Irish at all.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm sorry, what? Punishment is explicitly malicious intent. It is meant to punish. How can you go from swearing an oath to never harm your slave, to saying that a little physical punishment is still okay? And then he follows it up by saying that you've done nothing wrong if you kill a slave in self defense. Gee, I wonder why a slave would want to kill his owner, who by virtue of his birth is given hereditary ownership of you, while you're stuck doing his dirty work?

gently caress tropers.

He has some dumb ideas but you're misreading it. It limits punishment. Bruises are okay, whipping is not, no permanent damage, etc.

Though apparently beating your slaves all day for fun is allowed?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
That troper doesn't want to make a slaveowner sympathetic. They want to make a system of slavery sympathetic.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In the third thread, some troper made a story centered on a creature from Irish mythology (leanan sidhe or something like that). It took what was a good premise for a horror story and turned it into a really lovely porn story. I believe that was Enemy Mayan, the same troper who also gave us an story about a schoolgirl being used as a knife rack erotically and something else with the immortal line "The dickgirls opened fire."

I think I remember seeing that, didn't some goon take it and rewrite it into something actually decent?

Yeah though, we should be glad most of them never bother putting key to doc.

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Djeser posted:

Because fiction can't ever be allegorical or symbolic. :cripes:

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I think I remember seeing that, didn't some goon take it and rewrite it into something actually decent?

Yeah though, we should be glad most of them never bother putting key to doc.

It was a while ago. :) Hopefully it's held up. La Belle Dame Sans Merci

But yeah - I barely even remember the original. I just remember thinking it was too good a premise to be pissed away on some Troper yanking it to anime tits.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Oh, hey, look what I found while going through one of my image folders. I don't even remember having this, must have gotten it from a previous version of this thread :allears:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Those examples at the bottom say more than anything else in the image does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

U.T. Raptor posted:

Oh, hey, look what I found while going through one of my image folders. I don't even remember having this, must have gotten it from a previous version of this thread :allears:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:
That has to be one of the most infuriating goddamn images I've ever seen.

• Locked thread