Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Popcorn posted:

Always troubled me what they did with them afterwards though. What, they're just supposed to stay cooped up in that big safe forever? It's interesting how Ghostbusters doesn't really care about resolving the ghosts' conflict and sending them onto the afterlife, or exorcising them, or whatever.

thatsthejoke.jpg

The theme of not caring even a little about untested equipment, severe structural damage inflicted upon clients, and the hiring of indifferent, unqualified people is central to what makes the movie so funny. GB2 was lacking in this department, but it was nice to have lines like "We'll keep the power of your pack to 50% to minimize burning and tissue damage" in the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

With how many pages this thread has I don't remember if I said it already, but I just watched it again tonight after getting the new 4K Blu-Ray and people harp on the various demon dog effects work but the shots that actually irk me in the film are the ones near the end just outside of Dana's building and on top of it when things start quaking. The actors shake but the camera is deathly still, when everyone and their grandma knows that when there's some kind of violent disturbance to the ground you shake the camera so it doesn't look like the characters all simultaneously suffered seizures. Did Reitman not watch Star Trek when he was a young man? Or am I just not knowledgeable about film and that kind of thing only happened on Star Trek back then?

Scroto Baggins posted:

That voice! That bone-chilling voice!

Double-checked to make sure, and yep, Frank Welker. It was basically a spookier Megatron.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The best part of The Real Ghostbusters is that they had the rights to the theme song(maybe not the lyrics). For most of the show the soundtrack is really low-key and creepy, but every episode at exactly the right moment, when the poo poo hits the fan, the music would kick in. Honestly I think that show is more responsible for me dressing as a Ghostbuster for multiple Halloweens than the actual movie, there were a lot of cool toys out around that time too.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

That's really cool. I had no idea they thought out the containment unit. I always thought that the containment limbo was just a RGB thing. I just thought the inside of the ghost traps just stacked like bricks within the wall, never thought beyond that. Also, I love how the script uses everyone's last names, except Winston.

Basebf555 posted:

The best part of The Real Ghostbusters is that they had the rights to the theme song(maybe not the lyrics). For most of the show the soundtrack is really low-key and creepy, but every episode at exactly the right moment, when the poo poo hits the fan, the music would kick in. Honestly I think that show is more responsible for me dressing as a Ghostbuster for multiple Halloweens than the actual movie, there were a lot of cool toys out around that time too.

I think I found this on some Ghostbusters forum while researching a Halloween costume, but I have a .Rar with the RGB soundtrack on it. Or, rather, someone's attempt at stripping the sound of the cartoon to isolate the soundtrack. Some of the songs still have talking in the background. If anyone is interested, I could upload this somewhere?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Scroto Baggins posted:

That's really cool. I had no idea they thought out the containment unit. I always thought that the containment limbo was just a RGB thing. I just thought the inside of the ghost traps just stacked like bricks within the wall, never thought beyond that. Also, I love how the script uses everyone's last names, except Winston.

I think I found this on some Ghostbusters forum while researching a Halloween costume, but I have a .Rar with the RGB soundtrack on it. Or, rather, someone's attempt at stripping the sound of the cartoon to isolate the soundtrack. Some of the songs still have talking in the background. If anyone is interested, I could upload this somewhere?

On the note of what they'd do in terms of ghosts, there's an episode of the cartoon where Ray's aunt hires a fake medium to get rid of ghosts in her house. When the ghosts get pissed and start to tear the place apart, the best that the Ghostbusters do is start faking a seance by chanting random nonsense until things calm down, then epically (for a cartoon) suiting up at the Ecto-1 and blowing the ghosts to pieces.

Fun fact about the episode: Egon actually chants the Pythagorean Theorem. And who said that cartoons couldn't teach you things?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Boomerjinks posted:

thatsthejoke.jpg

The theme of not caring even a little about untested equipment, severe structural damage inflicted upon clients, and the hiring of indifferent, unqualified people is central to what makes the movie so funny. GB2 was lacking in this department, but it was nice to have lines like "We'll keep the power of your pack to 50% to minimize burning and tissue damage" in the video game.

Echoplex posted:

had they dealt with it it would have almost certainly been the right wing masterpiece SMG cites this to be, worryingly)

Another thing that stuck out to me along these lines, when I rewatched it last night, is how completely reasonable the environmental protection agency is, really. Well, I mean, Peck as characterised as an unreasonable rear end in a top hat with unreasonable demands, but the Ghostbusters have developed this crazy unholy technology that traps spirits using nuclear accelerators or something, and yeah, shouldn't we kind of be concerned about that, wouldn't we kind of want to regulate it?

But the film is like, "No way, they should be allowed to do this in the great spirit of American invention and entrepreneurship, gently caress the bureaucracy!" It's definitely part of what makes the movie funny and charming, but it's also what makes Top Gear funny and charming, and as we all know, Top Gear is also kind of frightening and horrible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peck is a foil but it's obvious how much of the fiasco was due to Peter being a completely uncooperative tool. He saw another Dean Yeager sitting across from him and thought he could stand up for himself this time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The apocalyptic scenario presented in Ghostbusters is what happens when Top Gear goes too far.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

Peck is a foil but it's obvious how much of the fiasco was due to Peter being a completely uncooperative tool. He saw another Dean Yeager sitting across from him and thought he could stand up for himself this time.

I never actually looked at it like that. That's perfect.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's kind of... cute actually. At the start we see Yeager dress him down and Peter barely mutters anything more than "Ok." He knows he's been a fraud and well, someone eventually would have found him out. As a Ghostbuster though he's legit - these things are real, Egon and Ray have developed amazing tech and systems, and they're working hard all day every day to actually do a good job. Not to mention the fame that goes to his head. So when Peck starts questioning and challenging him and his friends, he's not going to take it lightly this time.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'd like to think that the business really was in gross violation of the Environmental Protection Act.

Great Onion article from 2008.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boomerjinks posted:

I'd like to think that the business really was in gross violation of the Environmental Protection Act.

Great Onion article from 2008.

Of course it was! They're using unlicensed nuclear accelerators around the five boroughs! Three Mile Island was '79, Chernobyl happened in '86. Nuclear power running free and being let loose like fire hoses can in no way be safe. I'd wager none of the GBs can have children.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

The_Doctor posted:

Of course it was! They're using unlicensed nuclear accelerators around the five boroughs! Three Mile Island was '79, Chernobyl happened in '86. Nuclear power running free and being let loose like fire hoses can in no way be safe. I'd wager none of the GBs can have children.

Mueller's Novelization, which is actually a fun read since Mueller went on to work on RGB and the two kinda feel the same tone wise, has a good bit about the packs being turned for the first time in the elevator. Egon goes first, Ray's fillings start to heat up and Peter's hair stands on end till they each turn on their packs and create a protonic field of their own, canceling out the negative effects of the other accelerators.

They're all most definitely unable to produce children.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Soulwrangler posted:

Mueller's Novelization, which is actually a fun read since Mueller went on to work on RGB and the two kinda feel the same tone wise, has a good bit about the packs being turned for the first time in the elevator. Egon goes first, Ray's fillings start to heat up and Peter's hair stands on end till they each turn on their packs and create a protonic field of their own, canceling out the negative effects of the other accelerators.

They're all most definitely unable to produce children.

A proton pack is not a toy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I watched the movie tonight with my roommate who hasn't seen it since he was 7 years old and interestingly he brought up what Hell the containment unit must be, which I'd never thought about before it came up here the the other day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Watching Ghostbusters II as it's my official New Year's Eve movie. Man, I sincerely hope we get to see the deleted scenes someday.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Watching Ghostbusters II as it's my official New Year's Eve movie. Man, I sincerely hope we get to see the deleted scenes someday.

My wife and I are watching it right now, too.

During the psych ward scene, she says, "That guy looks like an old fat Bill Murray." And of course it's his older, fatter brother. Oh, Brian Doyle.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, I'm at that scene right now.

You know, one of the things that has always bothered me about this movie is the part where phantom granny janosz comes and gets Oscar. If I could redo that scene, I'd have Janosz actually show up at the apartment, and do that blue breath thing that Vigo does to the guys near the end, and have him just take oscar while Dana, Janine, and Louis lie there helplessly. He leaves, it wears off for them, and then Louis calls his cousin Sherman, who gets the guys out of the psych ward.

Edit: Weird... Lenny calls for the ghostbusters, says that he spent time last night talking to LaGuardia, who's been dead for forty years. But... Wouldn't that have been the night before he had the meeting with the ghostbusters? If so, you'd think he'd be more receptive to what they had to say. Unless that meeting he has with his staff is the next morning?

Edit 2: Also, why does the slime have about 3 or 4 consistencies? There's the multicoloured river, the red/orange stuff in the jar, the bathtub ooze, and then the chicken-snot being sprayed in the Statue of Liberty.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 1, 2014

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

echoplex posted:

Cut from the shooting script:

I think dealing with any of that whole thing goes strongly against the tone of the whole film.

(had they dealt with it it would have almost certainly been the right wing masterpiece SMG cites this to be, worryingly)

God, this sounds so so so very good and yet you're right, it really can't be in the film. Just reading it made me stare sadly at the ground for a few moments. Really wonderful moment though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Edit 2: Also, why does the slime have about 3 or 4 consistencies? There's the multicoloured river, the red/orange stuff in the jar, the bathtub ooze, and then the chicken-snot being sprayed in the Statue of Liberty.

The river is pure, concentrated slime, the stuff in the jar was filtered and purified, the bathtub stuff is just as viscous as the river and the slime guns are aerating the slime as it's being shot, kinda like blowing spit bubbles.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
If someone wonders how much damage the guys did in the first movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mIp68KhBQ

Also I've decided to share those that I made a long time ago:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Captain Quack posted:

I am weird and watching the ballroom/slimer scene I always felt a little embarrassed because they do indeed cause a lot of damage. So I couldn't help but laugh when I played the 2009 game (where you play out almost exactly that scene) and caused just as much damage as they did.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Captain Quack posted:

Also I've decided to share those that I made a long time ago:

Nice! Was that all in Photoshop? I think I shared these with this thread, but I can't remember, so there ya go. I made 2 posters just for the heck of it last year:

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Scroto Baggins posted:

Nice! Was that all in Photoshop? I think I shared these with this thread, but I can't remember, so there ya go. I made 2 posters just for the heck of it last year:

Thank you! Yes, they were all done in Photoshop...
...it's been a long time that I didn't do anything in it, I should start painting again...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How are you supposed to estimate the cost of not only the specific destruction of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man (something conjured out of thin air, practically), but the Tower of Gozer? :colbert: Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

How are you supposed to estimate the cost of not only the specific destruction of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man (something conjured out of thin air, practically), but the Tower of Gozer? :colbert: Other than that, I enjoyed it.

They may have been making up for drastically underestimating the amount of ghost-caused damage & havok in the city. As well as unseen damage caused by the Stay-Puft Man or within the high-class apartment building.

Edit: I mean only 1 million for the church?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Scroto Baggins posted:

Holy poo poo!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They seem to over- and under-estimate a lot of stuff. One Central Park west apartment, $2 million, sure, but only $2.4 million for the rooftop and several floors of the same building?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I want a four-foot tall version of this for my living room.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The_Doctor posted:

They seem to over- and under-estimate a lot of stuff. One Central Park west apartment, $2 million, sure, but only $2.4 million for the rooftop and several floors of the same building?

MyUpperWest blog posted:

If you’re prone to envy or jealousy, you should just stop reading right now.

The penthouse at 55 Central Park West (between 65th/66th) recently hit the market for $35 million, and it’s a doozie.

The 4 BR 4.5 BA apartment features 5,000 sq of interior space and another 2,000 sq of terrace space (including 300 linear feet of Central Park frontage).

Previous owners of the apartment include Calvin Klein and David Geffen. The exterior of the art deco building (which is in the National Register of Historic Places) was featured prominently in Ghostbusters.

The rarely lived-in (what the heeeeellll?) duplex penthouse at 55 Central Park West, one of the neighborhood’s Art Deco (very nice)pioneers, is available again, this time for $35 million.

Itself a gigantic lens trained on Central Park, the empty 12-room apartment has been obsessed about far longer than the decade since its current owner, Steve Gottlieb, acquired it for $8.6 million from the designer Calvin Klein, then his absentee upstairs neighbor. Mr. Klein had deemed the apartment so beguiling, he owned it twice: first in 1983, when he got into a publicized fracas with the co-op board after installing a hot tub on the roof, and again in the 1990s, when he tore down all the interior walls. Credit it to an act of major minimalism.

New York Magazine ran a feature on the history of the apartment back in 2005.

Here’s the listing detail:

TROPHY PENTHOUSE ON CENTRAL PARK WEST

A rare opportunity to acquire a grand duplex penthouse, with two terraces, atop one of Central Park West’s most distinguished cooperatives. Spanning approximately 5,000 square feet, the sprawling, sundrenched residence is located on the 19th and 20th floors; with over 300 linear feet fronting Central Park. Both levels have expansive terraces and the apartment enjoys unparalleled views of Central Park.

The space has been dramatically expanded and has never been offered as a combined unit. There has been an extensive amount of design and architectural planning to create this architectural masterpiece and over five million dollars of improvements have been made to render it a clean white box, ready for your personal finishes and appointments. The apartment provides extraordinary flexibility for up to 7 bedrooms. You can bring your own ideas and architect, or adapt the extraordinary proposed plans which are available for review upon request.

The proposed floor plan has a gracious 37′ gallery, leading to a dramatic entertaining expanse with enormous windows overlooking Central Park and a vast South East terrace. There is a 27′ x 20′ living room with a fireplace, a 30′x 17′ formal dining room, and a 17′ x 14′ Family Room/Media room, all overlooking the Park. The Southern wing of the home includes a 20′ eat-in-kitchen with a 14′ x 11′ dining area, a butlers pantry and laundry room. A sprawling Park-facing master suite with fireplace overlooks both the Eastern and Northern terraces, and has French Doors opening onto the East-facing wrap terrace. It has an oversized master bath and dressing room. There are two spacious bedrooms, both with ample closets and full baths en suite; one of which overlooks the apartment’s Northern terrace.

The upper floor of the apartment contains a double-height tower room, a glass-enclosed Conservatory and Pavilion, all opening on to an expansive corner terrace, with views from the upper reaches of Central Park as well as sunsets to the west.

There is also a fireplace, full bath and a wet-bar. One could use this entirely as entertaining space, or utilize part of the space for an additional bedroom. There is also a separate staff suite, located on the garden level of the building.

Notable past owners include Calvin Klein, David Geffen, Marsha Mason, and Keith Barish, who is famously said to have purchased his apartment with the exchange of a Jasper Johns Flag painting. This iconic building and its terraces were featured in the movies Ghostbusters and Superman.

Constructed in 1930, 55 Central Park West was designed by Architect Schwartz and Gross and built by Victor Earle and John C. Calhoun and is considered one of the pivotal structures of the Central Park West Historic District. Earle had been actively developing the Upper West Side of Manhattan since the 1910s and the duo is also responsible for many of the other buildings along Central Park West, and particularly for setting the Art Deco style as the prevailing trend for this block. Both the interior and the exterior possess unique architectural features that set the structure apart from its peers and it is considered to be the first fully Art Deco structure on Central Park West. Shaded in tones from red at the base to pale tan at the top, forty different hues of earth colors were established to create the illusion the sun was always shining on the building. The building is part of the Central Park West Historic District, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. This full-service cooperative has a bike room, children’s playroom, storage bins and laundry room. Pets are allowed; as is pied-a-terre ownership.

The apartment is co-listed by Brown Harris Stevens and Prudential Douglas Elliman.

In addition to the $35 million asking price, monthly maintenance is $11,632 ($139,584/year).

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm gonna go throw up now.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 11, 2014

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Captain Quack posted:

Thank you! Yes, they were all done in Photoshop...
...it's been a long time that I didn't do anything in it, I should start painting again...

I'm mostly an Illustrator man myself, so I wasn't sure if those were all some sneaky vector work. I dig the style!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dont know if this was posted but its p cool

http://imgur.com/a/OdtlD?gallery

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Dont know if this was posted but its p cool

http://imgur.com/a/OdtlD?gallery

I need to see more of this. Is it from a book?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Making Ghostbusters, which is depressingly expensive these days. The book is mostly script, though, that covers most of the best bits. I'd scan mine more often but I don't want it to crumble.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

echoplex posted:

Making Ghostbusters, which is depressingly expensive these days. The book is mostly script, though, that covers most of the best bits. I'd scan mine more often but I don't want it to crumble.

Scan it! Then, it shall live forever! :drac:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Coffee And Pie posted:

Scan it! Then, it shall live forever! :drac:

I would, but it's the only nice thing I have left from the film! I sold a Steve Johnson pre-production Slimer maquette when I was in uni. Regrets.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Basebf555 posted:

There's a pretty good episode of The Real Ghostbusters where Slimer ends up accidentally inside the containment unit and they have to figure out a way to find him and get him out. Its interesting because the Ghostbusters clearly realize its not a fun place to be for a ghost, but the only ghost they give a poo poo about is Slimer.

Well yeah, and why not? All the ghosts but Slimer were rear end in a top hat villains. Why would they give a poo poo about any of them except the comedy relief?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
So I bought the Mattycollector Neutrino Wand. I can't believe the splurging I've done on those props, but I think they're great. I'm going to add it to my old Venkman costume and wear it tonight at a costume party.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

SocketWrench posted:

Well yeah, and why not? All the ghosts but Slimer were rear end in a top hat villains. Why would they give a poo poo about any of them except the comedy relief?

Drool the Dog Faced Goblin was pretty cool. That was a sad ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Didnt stay puft let inner city kids play and climb on him or something?

• Locked thread