Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Tibeerius posted:

How do they get sickened non-friend survivors at those levels? Every survivor I recruited after Breakdown 1 was already Friends with me.

I don't know exactly how or why but I saved/found two people who are not friends with me (on breakdown 3 or 4 right now), so I can cap them if they get sick I guess. It's also sort of a pain since you can't give them a gun or switch to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As far as I know: When you have a mission that will turn an enclave friendly gently caress them up as much as you can. Molotov their asses constantly, try to run them over etc. This will make them hurt and not trust you. After you recruit them quit the game, forward the date 1 day on your computer and come back and you should get a mission to mercy kill one of them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tibeerius posted:

How do they get sickened non-friend survivors at those levels? Every survivor I recruited after Breakdown 1 was already Friends with me.
Just light them on fire three or four times when they're following you around. Pretty easy to do during a Barricade/etc mission and it won't ruin your influence, just how much that individual trusts you I believe.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I see. So basically, tank your Trust with survivors until they're no longer Friends, then wait for them one of them to get sick.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I left 50+ rnds of grenade launcher ammo on some guy that I left behind. Also I forgot that Moving On resets whatever ammo you have in the stash. Whoops.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I know people have brought this up before but is there a way I can mod or easily increase my locker space? I'm on a new breakdown level and I want to put stuff in to get influence but it won't accept most items (presumably because it is full). Last round I manually took out and destroyed all the 6 value cricket bats and I really don't want to have to do that with the amount of poo poo I've got gathered, I'd rather wipe out everything with a new game on whatever breakdown level I'm on, or even better, just be able to put more and more poo poo into the locker!!

edit: And two pages previous there are some great tips. Awesome.

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 6, 2014

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
So I'm pretty new to this game, how do I get the cars to repair when they are parked in spots and you have a workshop that can repair them? I leave my broke-rear end cars out there but they never show up. I've seen that they can take either in game days or real days, and I haven't been able to determine if either is true.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What level workshop do you have? What base are you at? Do you have a mechanic?

They should be repairing each sunrise in game, and should be repaired if the game has been off long enough to trigger time compression.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Only a machine shop repairs cars fully.

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

So what's the best homebase location for Breakdown? I tried the Church but kept getting overrun. Maybe Alamo?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

BobMcFartsens posted:

So what's the best homebase location for Breakdown? I tried the Church but kept getting overrun. Maybe Alamo?

Snyders is objectively the best, pretty much. Tons of construction slots, tons of parking spaces, easily surrounded by its 8 outposts... the only thing it can't do (i think?) is have a munitions shop.

e: vvv yes Savini is pretty great if you don't have enough people to do Snyders. Again, easy to surround with 6 outposts, and lots of space.

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 8, 2014

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

CaptainJuan posted:

Snyders is objectively the best, pretty much. Tons of construction slots, tons of parking spaces, easily surrounded by its 8 outposts... the only thing it can't do (i think?) is have a munitions shop.

To add on to this, I would usually do the Savini house before Snyders, since it's pretty easily defensible due to the terrain. I tried doing the Alamo for the hell of it once and was like "nope" once I saw where it was located, zombies can hit you from all directions.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

BobMcFartsens posted:

Alamo is the best when you're proficient at the game and want a challenge. It's easy to defend using outposts to stop hordes but it only has three slots for buildings, so not great.

It is my favourite though, as long as I have a medbay and workshop I'm good, and I find the Alamo to be awesome because you can reach heaps of interesting places on foot, and driving home through the back alleys of Marshall just feels right.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just finished the vanilla game. The ending was... really unsatisfactory, but the fight with the military dudes to recover the explosives was really cool. Probably bludgeoned 50+ regulars, two spazzy fast ones, and a big 'un with my army bros in a giant melee.

This is definitely one of those games that feels half finished. Like, the whole indie-darling-pay-$20-bucks-for-pre-alpha thing is annoying, but a "wall to wall with industry veterans" game backed by Microsoft in this state? Dang son. Hopefully Breakdown is cool, but some folks upthread mentioned a lot of grinding. Is it worth checking out? I guess I'm more interested in radical fights and a challenge than walking half-way across the map because there's no cars or whatever.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

If you still want to play more of the scavenging and fighting and felt the game was way too easy, yeah buy it. I really enjoyed the vanilla game when I first started playing and everything was dangerous, but it was quickly a breeze as I got more skilled.

I like Breakdown because levels get really hard after 5-6, you end up running into brutal situations that came about organically and either survive by the skin of your teeth or die horribly.

The grinding was about unlocking optional characters to join your crew/be your character in future runs. Ray Santos, who can summon cars at the cost of influence and so is the most useful person in Breakdown where cars start getting scarce, is a prick to unlock. Kill 400 zombies with car doors, in the one level on Breakdown.

e: characters are completely optional, there are loads of them to unlock but you don't need 'em. Ray is the only one I'd consider useful enough to grind for.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tommofork posted:

If you still want to play more of the scavenging and fighting and felt the game was way too easy, yeah buy it. I really enjoyed the vanilla game when I first started playing and everything was dangerous, but it was quickly a breeze as I got more skilled.

I like Breakdown because levels get really hard after 5-6, you end up running into brutal situations that came about organically and either survive by the skin of your teeth or die horribly.

The grinding was about unlocking optional characters to join your crew/be your character in future runs. Ray Santos, who can summon cars at the cost of influence and so is the most useful person in Breakdown where cars start getting scarce, is a prick to unlock. Kill 400 zombies with car doors, in the one level on Breakdown.

e: characters are completely optional, there are loads of them to unlock but you don't need 'em. Ray is the only one I'd consider useful enough to grind for.

The two military characters are also useful as gently caress, but you don't have to grind for them. One is incredibly easy to get and the other just requires playing for so many hours. Either one allows you to call down artillery strikes as long as they're in your community. They're great for panic situations, especially on higher Breakdown levels. Aside from at least one of the two, and Santos, none of the heroes are really essential.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

The two military characters are also useful as gently caress, but you don't have to grind for them. One is incredibly easy to get and the other just requires playing for so many hours. Either one allows you to call down artillery strikes as long as they're in your community. They're great for panic situations, especially on higher Breakdown levels. Aside from at least one of the two, and Santos, none of the heroes are really essential.

Also the military lady has two of the best weapons in the game when she spawns, the 5-durability edged weapon and a tricked out SMG.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Bates posted:

Aren't there more than two? I can think of the fitness guru woman, the LMG guy, and Sgt Tan..?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I admittedly haven't played past Breakdown 6 yet, but as far as heroes go I quite like Pastor William for his Words of Inspiration special ability. It is on a separate cooldown timer from Lily's similar ability, and the timers work out roughly so that one or the other will always be available, making stamina reductions from tiredness a complete non-factor. You can pretty much pick your favorite character and run them nonstop, day-in and day-out!

Edit:

coyo7e posted:

Aren't there more than two? I can think of the fitness guru woman, the LMG guy, and Sgt Tan..?
According to the wiki, there are only two heroes with the "Artillery Assault" skill: Erik Tan and Cpt. Montressor.

K.C. Winters ("LMG guy", I assume) does not.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 8, 2014

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
A tricked out SMG that is basically the only gun worth using in .40s&w, too.

I'm currently in The Alamo as it was the closest base to where I spawned, and holy poo poo do I not get why people like it. If they made it so you could have all the bases active at once, and decide who goes where, this shithole would be where I send the jerks that are always causing fights and running away and poo poo. Maybe the Ranger Station is worse, but probably only because of that bridge being out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tibeerius posted:

According to the wiki, there are only two heroes with the "Artillery Assault" skill: Erik Tan and Cpt. Montressor.

K.C. Winters ("LMG guy", I assume) does not.
Cool, I was just confused because people kept referring to "the two military survivors" when I could think of at least 3 counting the LMG guy. ;)

Also, the first time I got Pastor Williams joining, he dropped the "I had a flight but took a drive to bring my mom her medicine" and it was the first time I'd heard it, which made it kind of fun to imagine the series of circumstances that ended up with him in a random little church in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 9, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Atmus posted:

A tricked out SMG that is basically the only gun worth using in .40s&w, too.

I'm currently in The Alamo as it was the closest base to where I spawned, and holy poo poo do I not get why people like it. If they made it so you could have all the bases active at once, and decide who goes where, this shithole would be where I send the jerks that are always causing fights and running away and poo poo. Maybe the Ranger Station is worse, but probably only because of that bridge being out.

It's 'the best' because it's by far the hardest to defend as well as the one most likely to be threatened by zombies, so you'll see a lot more action than at any other base. And you can't count on the watchtower, either, because it has no line of fire on the entire back side of the building.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm up to breakdown ten, I hope it actually starts to get a little bit harder. level 9 featured a massive glut of materials and literally maybe 25 medicine, which made things really interesting as I went on a desperate hunt through all of Marshall to get the last couple to disinfect and get the gently caress out.

I guess the new challenge will be to make breakdown 10 sustainable for as long as possible.

Regarding base choices, I feel that the only possible choice is snyder's. You get a free, fully upgraded machine shop, that if you have previously researched the bombs, are makeable at it. And only at it. It's both a chem and machine shop, and it's insanely defensible. Plus, it gives you space for a library, dojo and shooting platform, which allow you to level up your scrubs significantly easier by halving the experience requirement on wits fighting and shooting. The fame you grind out is no small thing. once your stockpile is full up, influence gets harder and harder to get.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I have a question. Since the RV Breakdown mode is a thing now, did they do this for the 360 version of their game or is this a PC only thing? I'm doing my best to catch up with the thread otherwise.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

One thing I'd really like to see is upgrades saying permanent at bases even if you move. It's a lot easier to swallow investing if I can keep the buildings I make.

I'd also love a slider to assign certain people to certain homes, to create a forward base without the drudgery of across the map driving.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Blackray Jack posted:

I have a question. Since the RV Breakdown mode is a thing now, did they do this for the 360 version of their game or is this a PC only thing? I'm doing my best to catch up with the thread otherwise.

It's DLC on 360 as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zyla posted:

One thing I'd really like to see is upgrades saying permanent at bases even if you move. It's a lot easier to swallow investing if I can keep the buildings I make.
The game is already laughably easy though. That would make it so easy it'd be boring after about 3 hours.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

coyo7e posted:

The game is already laughably easy though. That would make it so easy it'd be boring after about 3 hours.

True. It is still too easy even at breakdown 10. I thought the hordes would be harder, and specials flooding everywhere. Like "do I creep around the main street with five juggernauts or find some place else.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The main thing with freaks not being hard is that you can drive a block away and come back and they will be gone. Even if they aren't, I have like 10 petrol bombs all the time, so gently caress em.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
One way to make resources easier to find is to cheese the bug with calling for scavengers. If there is 1 resource left, and you call for scavengers, you can then just pick the item up yourself and take it home. When the scavenger gets there, they will look REALLY HARD and find something you 'missed', and come back with the resource as well. This doesn't work if you quit the game though, when you log back in, the runner will deliver a package of "nothing + 2 happiness".

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

New patch today:

- Fixed several instances of community members standing idle.
- Players will no longer see an event called CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT. This was a developer-only fate card that didn't get removed before going live. Sorry, everyone.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Chemical Incendiary research at Snyder's. Players may now satisfy the prerequisites with the built-in workshop (and not with other workshops).
- Synced stealth kills vs. walls and low walls now properly credit the Ninja challenge.
- Inventory stockpiles are now limited to 120 instead of 60.
- We no longer zero out meds and snacks on next day and instead just subtract home population
- Fix for some story missions not progressing (those not getting the Watchtower mission at the Grange).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bruteman posted:

- Fix for some story missions not progressing

Hopefully this means I can finish up my game at last, I helped the army break down the barricade but didn't get the achievement for it and the story hasn't progressed any since then.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Bruteman posted:

- We no longer zero out meds and snacks on next day and instead just subtract home population

loving finally, that bug's been in the game since release.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
MY SNACKS THANK GOD

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So I was well near 75% of the way there to unlocking The Dealer and almost had the Cop unlocked, and logged in today to find that I now have 19/400 kills with car doors and 0/50 pistol kills. WTF?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

suboptimal posted:

So I was well near 75% of the way there to unlocking The Dealer and almost had the Cop unlocked, and logged in today to find that I now have 19/400 kills with car doors and 0/50 pistol kills. WTF?

Bruteman posted:

- We no longer zero out meds and snacks on next day and instead just subtract home population survivors feast on your achievement progress

E: This game is really frustrating because it has the potential to be one of the best games ever, but all the bugs make me not want to start playing it again.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Some interesting news.

Jeff Strain posted:

Hola fellow survivors,

I wanted to let you know we’ve signed a multi-year, multi-title agreement to extend our development relationship with Microsoft Studios. We’ll be able to share details later this year, but as with State of Decay, we think it’s best if we just keep our heads down and build some prototypes before we talk too much. For now, suffice it to say there are big things going on with State of Decay.

If this were a press release, we’d have a carefully vetted quote from Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Studios, expressing Microsoft’s excitement as well. But pictures speak louder than words, and we think Phil spoke pretty loudly during the keynote at E3 last year:

Thanks to Phil and everyone on our hard working team at Microsoft Studios for believing in State of Decay!

And most of all, thanks to all of you for your ongoing support, encouragement, and enthusiasm for State of Decay. We know how far we’d have gotten if it hadn’t been for your spreading the word, and it definitely wouldn’t be here. You made this happen.

It’s been a long haul from the original vision to this point, and the road ahead of us will take years to travel. We hope you’re up for the trip, because we can’t do it without you.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I just hope their future plans aren't XBLA for a year before they land on PC.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I hope it's a multi-platform SoD MMO that somehow doesn't suck and plays well, since they were talking about it for forever.

Sure wouldn't seem very post-apoc with thousands of players running around though, so I'm curious what it'll actually be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

ekuNNN posted:

I really don't understand their decision to include this. Does anyone think it is a good addition to the game? :psyduck:
You mean an addition to the game featuring perma-death and community management where your characters can die during regular gameplay?

• Locked thread