Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

goobernoodles posted:

In hindsight I shouldn't have said a word for the kid's sake but something tells me that kid is already used to that sort of bullshit.

Nah, don't feel bad. She's probably the kind of person who would nearly cause an accident and chase the other person down and berate them about how she has children in her car! and they are a horrible person for daring to exist in her universe. Such people should be called out for their shitbag behavior, and are far more of a negative influence on their child(ren)'s life than you ever could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Noticed something a bit stupid about drivers around here when filling up the car today. Some of the other cars who arrived at the station were tearing onto the forecourt at about 15-20 mph, slamming on the brakes when they got to the pumps, and then reversing back when they inevitably overshot. And this wasn't a one-off idiot, 5 different cars did this. I was worried one of them would rear end me while I was filling up.

I could maybe understand if the station was slightly just off to the side of a road and people were just coming straight in off of it, but this is a supermarket gas station, and the way you have to go to get in from the only road in or out is pretty convoluted too:

(Old photo, there's now a mini-roundabout where that white dot is and a divider meaning you have to go around it. That roundabout only serves the supermarket parking lot too.)
Makes me wonder what goes through these people's minds sometimes.

Also, there's a real bad case of 'me too'ing red lights around here. Not a night goes by where I don't see three or four idiots go through a light that's been red for a while because the car in front went through. Even the police do it :doh:

Thank god I'm not doing deliveries any more after Monday.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Lots of modern cars with DBW do this. Cunts.

Well, Toyota really needed to do damage control, and adding that feature was one way.
Besides, I would say only a fraction of a percent aren't automatic transmissions here in the U.S.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I was on the highway earlier, going the speed limit because it was foggy and raining. Started gaining on an early '00s Galant with a burned out headlight, moved over to pass, and suddenly they start pulling ahead. Fine, I'm in no hurry, so I move back over and almost immediately start gaining on them again. Move over to pass again, they speed up again, rinse/repeat. I know this game, it's my least favorite rear end in a top hat driver move because it is so deliberate. So I drop the hammer to get far away from them, the only solution I have found that works. They kept up to about 85mph before giving up, and once I had returned to the speed limit I never saw them again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Terrible Robot posted:

I was on the highway earlier, going the speed limit because it was foggy and raining. Started gaining on an early '00s Galant with a burned out headlight, moved over to pass, and suddenly they start pulling ahead. Fine, I'm in no hurry, so I move back over and almost immediately start gaining on them again. Move over to pass again, they speed up again, rinse/repeat. I know this game, it's my least favorite rear end in a top hat driver move because it is so deliberate. So I drop the hammer to get far away from them, the only solution I have found that works. They kept up to about 85mph before giving up, and once I had returned to the speed limit I never saw them again.

The better way to play this game is to continue to stay in the left lane, preventing them from slowing down unless they want to stop playing games. Then use them as a bait car for cops.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Why am I seeing more and more people driving their cars at night with no lights on? Yeah, the city I live in is well-lit at night for the most part, but that's still no excuse. :argh:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Devyl posted:

Why am I seeing more and more people driving their cars at night with no lights on? Yeah, the city I live in is well-lit at night for the most part, but that's still no excuse. :argh:

instrument clusters that light up with the lights off

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ijustam posted:

..and idiots who confuse their DRLs for low beams.

That reminds me, I need to do a slight mod to have both reverse fog lamps on. Useful for tailgaters as well as the blinding snow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That is one problem I don't have because the guy I'm passing doesn't usually notice until I am going 20-30mph faster than he is. The other day I did have a car appear to accelerate as I was going by which kind of annoyed me but it didn't really matter because I was nearing the top of 4th. The trick is to hang back a little and get a run as a possible passing opportunity comes up. Although on a mountain road in montana it is more of a necessity because you never have much space or visibility.

I was pleasantly surprised to have a bait car the other day. Some guy in an Audi was in a big hurry to get by me and then didn't drive any faster than I was going, but got lucky with passing lanes and built a slight gap. Then he pulled into a small town gas station a half an hour later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

Protip, assholes: If I can't see all of both of your headlights in my mirror and the largest distinguishable feature is the manufacturer logo YOU'RE TOO loving CLOSE. :argh:

If they're far enough for me to see the logo, I'm happy. Well, less annoyed.

I often have people so close that I can't see their drat hood. This includes SUVs. I drive a compact car...

I'm going to toss the flaky dashcam on the back window now that I have a replacement. The seller is willing to replace it, but round trip shipping will take at least a month, and shipping alone via the cheapest option is still nearly $20 (and lacks tracking), so gently caress it, I'll just deal with it as a secondary camera.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

People do this are trying to get your attention, to alert you that you have a problem with your high beams, front fogs, or throttle response, so perhaps immediately testing those would be a good idea. You know, for safety.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ijustam posted:

Who the gently caress invents this? I swear to god half the loving subarus in all of seattle have owners who don't understand that DRLs are not low beams.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Who the gently caress invents this? I swear to god half the loving subarus in all of seattle have owners who don't understand that DRLs are not low beams.

It was super foggy out today and the only people with their lights on we're people driving older cars :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Dashboards are pretty much a disaster across the board these days. Many new cars on the lower end of the cost scale have clusters that aren't attached to the headlight switch/dimmer at all. That is, they're always full bright. But the fancy digital speedometer is attached to the dimmer.

Automakers literally have no idea how to make a useful user interface.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My sister has a Mazda6 who's dash is lit up full blast all the time. But, she actually has it set lower with the dimmer switch, which only kicks in when her lights are on. So, her gauges are actually brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.

At least she knows to use her lights.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Automakers literally have no idea how to make a useful user interface.
I think they probably can, but the shiny tech factor sells cars. Simple, chunky knobs and buttons which you can use blind by muscle memory are perfect for an automorive environment, but then people won't buy your car because it looks Fisher-Price rather than iPad to their eyes.

Full-LCD dash clusters that can be customised in appearance give generic car buyers a raging hardon, when what's best for driving are clear, simple gauges. If I have revs, speed, fuel and whatever "do my engine be hosed?" data can be clearly communicated, everything else can go in a centre console or binnacle display etc.

HUDs always struck me as being a very good idea, though.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

That is just uncalled for. One if my favorite things about the outback we used to have is you could leave the headlights on all the time since they turn off with the ignition. I must admit I have driven for a while in my jsw at night before I realized I hadn't turned my lights on. At least vw puts a big DRL light on the speedo to remind you.

I had some rear end in a top hat try to get hit by me last night when I was driving downtown around 8. It was raining a bit, but being Seattle you would think people would be used to it. Just cruising down the second to right lane at 65, when someone gets on i5 and decides they have to be in my lane despite there being no one else in the right lane. While going about 45mph. I saw him coming and still had to brake really drat hard to not drive into the back of him. I really need to order a dashcam....

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Negromancer posted:

That is just uncalled for. One if my favorite things about the outback we used to have is you could leave the headlights on all the time since they turn off with the ignition. I must admit I have driven for a while in my jsw at night before I realized I hadn't turned my lights on. At least vw puts a big DRL light on the speedo to remind you.

My parents' Forester has a big light on the speedo, too! That comes on when you turn on the lights... Why???

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Negromancer posted:

I had some rear end in a top hat try to get hit by me last night when I was driving downtown around 8. It was raining a bit, but being Seattle you would think people would be used to it. Just cruising down the second to right lane at 65, when someone gets on i5 and decides they have to be in my lane despite there being no one else in the right lane. While going about 45mph. I saw him coming and still had to brake really drat hard to not drive into the back of him. I really need to order a dashcam....

Seriously, I see this poo poo all the loving time. And then you can't pass because some minivan is in the left lane going exactly the speed limit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The right lane is the new fast lane on the 401 in Ontario. gently caress the haters, if that lane is wide open for miles I'm using it if no one else will.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ughhhh, had one of those "overtake in the 40 limit then not open it up properly on the fast bits" people tonight, Polo TDi. Luckily they turned off after a few miles. The thing is, they were behind me through several village -> open road -> village transitions, so they most definitely had seen me bugger off as soon as I was back in the higher limit, what on earth made them think that being behind me was going to ruin their point-to-point speed? Drive slow on slow bits and drive fast on fast bits you twats.

And then the usual case of people ignoring road markings and drifting sideways into my lane on a large roundabout. At least they gave off the "dozy bastard" aura enough that I was already giving myself some distance from them.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

The right lane is the new fast lane on the 401 in Ontario. gently caress the haters, if that lane is wide open for miles I'm using it if no one else will.

This is true. I just wind up using whatever lane is open and lets me get around people. I'll occasionally flash my lights to try and get people out of the left lane, but :effort:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

I'll occasionally flash my lights to try and get people out of the left lane, but :effort:

I stopped doing this because no one knows what it means anyway and it really pisses some people off. :v:

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I stopped doing this because no one knows what it means anyway and it really pisses some people off. :v:

I only get pissed when people do it when I'm completely walled in by traffic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When that happens I'll wedge over and let the idiot pass into my former blocked-in spot, then get right back behind them and flash my lights at them. Turnabout is fair play. :smug:

E: Maybe that makes me the guy you share the road with, I don't really care tbh.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fucknag posted:

When that happens I'll wedge over and let the idiot pass into my former blocked-in spot, then get right back behind them and flash my lights at them. Turnabout is fair play. :smug:

E: Maybe that makes me the guy you share the road with, I don't really care tbh.

If you're not as far right as you safely can be, then yes, you are one of those assholes, and you're holding up traffic.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Here's a new one to me: I was heading down the motorway, doing 65-70 in the slow lane (the land rover isn't light on its feet), when I see a car come hammering up the fast lane, slow down then swing in behind me. A small, baby-poo brown boxy hatchback. It then straddled the dashed line between the lanes, still behind me, as I squeezed to the left (or as far left as a car the size of a continent can go) and then shot in front of me in the passing lane. It slowed down for a while in front of me, straddled the dashed line in front and then shot off again in the fast lane.

It felt like meeting the huge bald tattooed man in the pub who is drunk and mentally unstable enough to either bite your ear off or buy you a drink - I have never been more unsure of another driver's intentions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Re: Light chat:

I don't truly know how hard it is for some people to turn their lights on, but I would imagine if you really need your lights (i.e. it's super dark) it's pretty loving obvious if they aren't on.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't truly know how hard it is for some people to turn their lights on, but I would imagine if you really need your lights (i.e. it's super dark) it's pretty loving obvious if they aren't on.

Fog seems to be the major issue around me. It gets foggy pretty often in Chicagoland and about 10-20% of drivers will have their lights on during BAD fog as legally required.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

These are the (virtual) people you share a road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtSDYugGwVs

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Uthor posted:

My sister has a Mazda6 who's dash is lit up full blast all the time. But, she actually has it set lower with the dimmer switch, which only kicks in when her lights are on. So, her gauges are actually brighter with the lights off than with the lights on.

At least she knows to use her lights.

My F150's dash dims when the lights are on, too - this makes sense to me because it illuminates bright enough to be visibly illuminated during the day, and it can be kind of distracting at night. I've ticked the brightness down a bit more because the LCD in the center is brighter than everything else and it kind of gets annoying at night.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've definitely seen cars that have the instrument cluster always illuminated, but it gets dimmer when you turn the headlights on. It's pretty unnecessary to have it lit up during the day, but at least it makes sense that you don't want it to be super bright at night.

I have a friend that's probably not too terrible of a driver in the scheme of things, but I hate driving with him because he's always either on the throttle or on the brakes. His throttle modulation is fine, but it always bugs me when the light turns red ahead of us and he stays at the exact same speed coming up to it and then brakes pretty late.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Cause they have DRLs and their headlights are on at night, but they don't realize their taillights aren't on.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

0rganDonor posted:

I only get pissed when people do it when I'm completely walled in by traffic.

When I do this it's because some dickhole four or five cars up is holding everything up and I'm hoping the guy in front of me will pass the flash along. It's not personal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like the easy fix is to just have DRLs turn on the tail lights too. :v:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

It's hard enough for people, that bicyclists around here will tell you that they are legally protected against financial liability if you run them over. And then they just bike off into the night with a black coat on, no lights and often not even reflectors on the heap of scrap metal they call a bike.
But hey, at least when they're stuck in a wheelchair with a severed spinalcord, they won't have to pay for damages to your car.

Same with fog lights, every time it's pouring down in bucket loads, there will inevitably be some Belgian on my route driving with their fog lights on, blinding everyone around them with the glare off the wet tarmac.
Yes, I know that in Belgium the law is retarded and it requires drivers to blind everyone with fog lights in heavy rain, but I'd appreciate it if they realised that it's illegal everywhere else.

As for DRLs, I really wish there was a rule that required cars with DRL to be fitted with automatic headlights. Even on a 7000 euro driving appliance the cost of a phototransistor isn't going to break the bank.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

Seems like the easy fix is to just have DRLs turn on the tail lights too. :v:

If it would get lights on in the dark, fog or rain I would be 100% behind all lights (except fogs) hardwired on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

But think of all the extra tens of dollars you would spend on tail light bulbs over the life of a car!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Deedle posted:

Even on a 7000 euro driving appliance the cost of a phototransistor isn't going to break the bank.

Yeah, but the manufacturers would rather sell you the phototransistor at a 15000% markup and call it an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Deedle posted:

It's hard enough for people, that bicyclists around here will tell you that they are legally protected against financial liability if you run them over. And then they just bike off into the night with a black coat on, no lights and often not even reflectors on the heap of scrap metal they call a bike.
But hey, at least when they're stuck in a wheelchair with a severed spinalcord, they won't have to pay for damages to your car.

The Black Ghosts strike again!

Almost mowed over a lady wearing all black walking a black dog at 10:30 at night just the other day. :q: