Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

General Battuta posted:

Obsidian, though :allears:

A complete remake of Kotor 2 (and 1 too) in a new modern game engine with actual cutscenes and restored content and other good stuff would so goddamn awesome

api call girl posted:

They did that, it's called Mass Effect/NWN2/Jade Empire/Dragon Age/etc.

Yeah those sure are Star Wars games made by Obisdian

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Farecoal posted:

A complete remake of Kotor 2 (and 1 too) in a new modern game engine with actual cutscenes and restored content and other good stuff would so goddamn awesome

They did that, it's called Mass Effect/NWN2/Jade Empire/Dragon Age/etc.

Farecoal posted:

Yeah those sure are Star Wars games made by Obisdian

Farecoal posted:

(and 1 too)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 11, 2014

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

cptn_dr posted:

I will never not think Darth Wyrrlok is the dumbest sith name.

I almost went with Wyrrlok. We need a Darth Wwwyzzerdd.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I will never not think Darth Wyrrlok is the dumbest sith name.

Darth Enraj, Darth Vilus, Darth Kallous (hahaha)...all from The Old Republic.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

Darth Enraj, Darth Vilus, Darth Kallous (hahaha)...all from The Old Republic.

:stare: Okay, I take it back.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Kruhl. Darth Stryfe. Darth Ruyn. Darth Karnage. The ratio of retarded to okay/cool when it comes to Sith names is like 9:1.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Darth Dark

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Darth Dark

All of mine are real. :ssh:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Fun story, my name is used in a Star Wars book, Corran Horn uses it as an alias in one of the X wing novels.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Arschlochkind posted:

All of mine are real. :ssh:

Darth Cool :cool:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Beardless posted:

Fun story, my name is used in a Star Wars book, Corran Horn uses it as an alias in one of the X wing novels.

Jenos Idanian!?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Beardless posted:

Your name is Pyr Hand?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Chairman Capone posted:

Jenos Idanian!?

Corran Horn, not Han Solo.

Edit: Oh wait he did use that name. Well it's not that one, it's Eamon Yzalli

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Farecoal posted:

Darth Cool :cool:

Darth Stroyer.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Turboshower

Not just a shower, a TURBOSHOWER

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
When I first heard they were planning to throw out a lot of the EU I flipped my poo poo. I've been a dedicated EU fan for decades. I can recite the entire history of that universe, in detail, without once looking at Wookiepedia. I took the bad with the good, rolled with it and loved the EU as a whole, even if some of it's constituent parts are crap. So you can imagine my nerd rage over the announcement.

But the more I think about it the more I've come to warm to the idea. They've said that once they cherrypick which parts of the EU to keep it will all be elevated to 100% no question canon alongside the films, and they'll be keeping a much closer eye on the cohesiveness of the greater universe because of this. That means going forward we'll have fewer retcons, fewer inconsistencies, and fewer arguments over how one piece of media invalidates another.

I have to admit I can't bring myself to hate the idea. So long as they keep the broad strokes so my time isn't totally wasted, I'm on board.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Even if the New Canon dumps 99% of the old continuity, that timeline will still be there. I'm taking the stance of looking at it as basically 2 universes. One is the old continuity, episodes 1-6, and all the EU we've had from 1978 to 2013. The other will be episodes 1-9, the spin of films, presumably the clone wars TV show, and then whatever bits and bobs they decide to keep.

As far as the New Canon is concerned, I can pretty much guarantee that most of the existing EU will be completely gone. Especially anything post Return of the Jedi. They may surprise us and keep everything pre-Phantom Menace, since for the most part it's just hanging out not hurting anything further up the line. They may even decide to keep things like "a blue skinned Grand Admiral with a PhD in art history" and "Han and Leia have twins". But think about it...so much of the post ROTJ EU is completely dependent on a handful of major things. Mostly Han and Leia's children and Luke full on reforming the Jedi Order complete with a new temple and academy and such. Without the twins, Legacy of the Force (and thus Fate of the Jedi) never happens.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

jivjov posted:

Even if the New Canon dumps 99% of the old continuity, that timeline will still be there. I'm taking the stance of looking at it as basically 2 universes. One is the old continuity, episodes 1-6, and all the EU we've had from 1978 to 2013. The other will be episodes 1-9, the spin of films, presumably the clone wars TV show, and then whatever bits and bobs they decide to keep.

As far as the New Canon is concerned, I can pretty much guarantee that most of the existing EU will be completely gone. Especially anything post Return of the Jedi. They may surprise us and keep everything pre-Phantom Menace, since for the most part it's just hanging out not hurting anything further up the line. They may even decide to keep things like "a blue skinned Grand Admiral with a PhD in art history" and "Han and Leia have twins". But think about it...so much of the post ROTJ EU is completely dependent on a handful of major things. Mostly Han and Leia's children and Luke full on reforming the Jedi Order complete with a new temple and academy and such. Without the twins, Legacy of the Force (and thus Fate of the Jedi) never happens.

Hell, if they keep most of the Old Republic (mostly Bane, love that guy) and the basic story of the Vong War I'll be happy. I enjoyed the Yuuzhan Vong arc, even if the series really only needed four or five books tops. They can even throw out Chewies death, just keep the other major details.

Legacy and Fate can die in a fire though. I enjoyed Darth Caedus sort of. His whole "gently caress all this war, I'm gonna make peace even if I have to kill you all to do it" shtick was kind of cool. But that series was so terribly written that I had to create head-canon and between-the-lines interpretations of his motivations just to salvage him in my mind.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Maybe it is easier for people who are also long-time fans of franchises where continuity-resets occur with some frequency (superhero universe), but I'm having a hard time imagining watching or reading any new stuff without getting a weird feeling from knowing how things had gone before "in the other universe".

Also, I'll believe that cherry-picked material that gets carried over will get treated on par with the movies when I see it. The cynic tells me that if something in one of Disney's million-dollar movies down the line conflicts with some decade-old book or comic, Disney isn't give two shits about what their own policy on continuity is.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I don't really understand why it matters is all of the old EU suddenly becomes "non-canon". It won't stop me from rereading the X-wing and Thrawn books and enjoying them, or playing the star wars RPG in that setting. It's not as if Disney is going to send people out to burn all the books and erase people's memory or anything.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's not like anyone in this thread doesn't already have their own head-canon already anyways.

Dark Nest never really happened right guys :ohdear:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Slashrat posted:

Maybe it is easier for people who are also long-time fans of franchises where continuity-resets occur with some frequency (superhero universe), but I'm having a hard time imagining watching or reading any new stuff without getting a weird feeling from knowing how things had gone before "in the other universe".

Also, I'll believe that cherry-picked material that gets carried over will get treated on par with the movies when I see it. The cynic tells me that if something in one of Disney's million-dollar movies down the line conflicts with some decade-old book or comic, Disney isn't give two shits about what their own policy on continuity is.

This, essentially. I was reading this mostly terrible blog post yesterday, which asserts that the Thrawn trilogy is basically the only part of the EU worth a drat. You see this sort of thing with a fair amount of fans. I imagine what happened is that they read the Thrawn trilogy when it came out, thought to themselves, "Hey, that was actually alright, I wonder what happens next?" Then they read some awful bullshit by Kevin J. Anderson or The Crystal Star and decided to write off everything else as poo poo.

That said, the majority of the EU isn't very good and isn't much of a loss, even if I do like it due to growing up with it, Bantam and Del Ray alike. Looking at a few comprehensive lists of Star Wars EU works on Wookiepedia, here's my wishlist for what I would like to see made canon. The rest can go to hell for all I care. My "head canon" will probably always be with the old continuity, but if I'm going to read future EU works in the new continuity, this is what I would like to still have around.

I'll italicize the works that I think have at least a 5% chance of actually being made canon. I haven't kept up with the EU for the past 2 or 3 years, so I don't have an opinion on some of the most recent works, like Fate of the Jedi, Scoundrels, or Darth Plagueis.

Prequel-era:

- Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- Shatterpoint
- Medstar I and II
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Revenge of the Sith novelization (dunno if this counts as EU or not)

Empire era:

- Han Solo trilogy (both Crispin and Daley, but mostly Crispin)
- Tales from the Empire

New Republic era:

- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- X-wing series
- Thrawn trilogy
- New Jedi Order series

Galactic Alliance era:

- Uh, nothing.

Huh, that was a much shorter list than I expected. I'm thinking that most of the prequel-era stuff will sneak through, good and bad alike, due to a lack of conflicts with the new material.

I haven't read enough of the comics to make a comprehensive list of that, although I wouldn't mind seeing Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic and X-wing: Rogue Squadron kept around. I don't know if the plots of any of the games are actually good enough to include, regardless of the quality of the games themselves. Maybe the two Knights of the Old Republic games and the Rogue Squadron series? I never really got into the Dark Forces games.

What would all of you like to see be made canon?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beardless posted:

I don't really understand why it matters is all of the old EU suddenly becomes "non-canon". It won't stop me from rereading the X-wing and Thrawn books and enjoying them, or playing the star wars RPG in that setting. It's not as if Disney is going to send people out to burn all the books and erase people's memory or anything.

It's the principle of the thing really; the knowledge that all your books and comics don't "count" anymore. Star Wars is one of the only franchises that at least attempted to have a unified continuity. It was one big universe with all sorts of cool poo poo going on, and now Disney is decreeing that a lot of stuff (that people spent a lot of time and effort and money collecting and reading) just isn't part of the universe anymore.

Yeah it's all still there, but it feels less special.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's also the fact that it retcons a lot of really well written books to the same level of canon as fan fiction. That's gotta sting a little.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

surf rock posted:

What would all of you like to see be made canon?

In my perfect little world, Episodes 7-9 would either be adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy, or would slot in neatly around existing canon and everything would be preserved. If I had to cherrypick, I'd want the X-Wing books, the Republic Commando books, the New Jedi Order, the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn duology to stick around for sure. I have some other favorites, but those are my big ones.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is Labyrinth of Evil any good?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Farecoal posted:

I thought it was okay. On the quality spectrum of EU material I'd place it somewhere in the middle. Not terrible, but not particularly amazing either.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked it, and I think it's better than a lot of the other Clone Wars books, but I think that Cloak of Deception is better as a "lead-in to movie" book. But I still prefer the original Clone Wars cartoon for a lead-in to Episode III.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Farecoal posted:

It's definitely worth a read, I quite liked how Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship was portrayed. If you do decide to give it a go, you may as well pick up the other two books that loosely form a trilogy: the episode III novel (written by Matt Stover) and Rise of Darth Vader (also by Luceno).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's also the fact that it retcons a lot of really well written books to the same level of canon as fan fiction. That's gotta sting a little.

Not really, since fan fiction authors tend to not have their work officially sanctioned!

Canon tends to bog down stories anyways, if a good story suddenly isn't good because it's now rendered non-canon, then sorry that story was bad to begin with.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Peter Mayhew's got some photos to share on his Twitter. Is it just me or is he kind of a perv when it comes to any picture with Carrie Fisher in it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just FYI if anyone doesn't have them yet, but the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series is on sale on Steam today for $7.49 combined.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Peter Mayhew's got some photos to share on his Twitter. Is it just me or is he kind of a perv when it comes to any picture with Carrie Fisher in it?

I had no idea that Warwick Davis was that young when filming ROTJ. Also, LOL at "Zazzle Moonbreaker".

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Decided to go "What the hell" And jump into a few Star Wars novels. What usually kept me away was that I wanted to enjoy more Star Wars stuff but felt that Luke, Han and Leia's story ended with Return of the Jedi. I don't need to hear how Aragorn ruled Gondor and what they did with the orcs that survived the final battle, Know what I mean? The Jedi Order goes back thousands of years and I want to hear more stories about the great Jedi over the years. That's why I love the KOTOR stuff so much.

So I grabbed Choices of One and Heir to the Empire. I'll start reading them tomorrow. Also, is the Fate of the Jedi series any good?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 19, 2014

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Decided to go "What the hell" And jump into a few Star Wars novels. What usually kept me away was that I wanted to enjoy more Star Wars stuff but felt that Luke, Han and Leia's story ended with Return of the Jedi. I don't need to hear how Aragorn ruled Gondor and what the did with the orcs that survived the final battle, Know what I mean? The Jedi Order goes back thousands of years and I want to hear more stories about the great Jedi over the years. That's why I love the KOTOR stuff so much.

So I grabbed Choices of One and Heir to the Empire. I'll start reading them tomorrow. Also, is the Fate of the Jedi series any good?

Read Heir before Choices. Preferably you'd read the whole Heir trilogy before Choices, but whatever works.

Fate of the Jedi is set like 30 years in the future from where you are currently and you'd basically have to read the entirety of the post-RotJ extended universe to really get it. Fortunately, it is awful and there's no need to suffer through a long series of similarly bad books just to get there.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

BigRed0427 posted:

Decided to go "What the hell" And jump into a few Star Wars novels. What usually kept me away was that I wanted to enjoy more Star Wars stuff but felt that Luke, Han and Leia's story ended with Return of the Jedi. I don't need to hear how Aragorn ruled Gondor and what they did with the orcs that survived the final battle, Know what I mean? The Jedi Order goes back thousands of years and I want to hear more stories about the great Jedi over the years. That's why I love the KOTOR stuff so much.

I don't know, I'm a fan of the post-ROTJ EU (which is to say, anything written by Zahn and Allston, less so everything else) because, specifically for Luke, it's not him ruling Gondor. ROTJ is the point where he's finally just starting to grow up and fill in the shoes implied by being the last of the Jedi, and Zahn in particular is pretty good about writing him that way (as opposed to PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER that a lot of the other EU authors seem to love). I still think that the Hand of Thrawn duology, while knowing the added context of Zahn giving the double birds to every other EU author, was pretty loving funny.

That said, do yourself a favor: Read the Heir to the Empire trilogy, read the X-Wing books, and read the Hand of Thrawn duology, and then just leave it there. Don't touch anything chronologically beyond those, you will be disappointed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Fate of the Jedi is set like 30 years in the future from where you are currently and you'd basically have to read the entirety of the post-RotJ extended universe to really get it. Fortunately, it is awful and there's no need to suffer through a long series of similarly bad books just to get there.
Thankfully if anything in the EU gets wiped out by the new movies it's going to be that poo poo.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the other hand, DC Comics have had several reboots over the last few decades that reset their storylines almost from scratch except for the broad concepts, and Marvel had their main and Ultimate lines running at the same time for nearly 14-15 years now.

Disney might do something similar to what Marvel did. They might try branding anything set with the new film timeline canon officially as such and keep a small trickle of content out their for the established continuity to acknowledge that these things happened in that 'universe', but not in this new one.

"Star Wars Classic/Original Universe" for anything that ties into the old EU stuff. "Star Wars New Universe" for anything that ties into new EU and continuity.

Probably doubtful, it at least it would let them get some closure and ease people into a break with the old EU material by letting them wrap things up and close the book on it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ursine Asylum posted:

That said, do yourself a favor: Read the Heir to the Empire trilogy, read the X-Wing books, and read the Hand of Thrawn duology, and then just leave it there. Don't touch anything chronologically beyond those, you will be disappointed.

As bad as some of it is, I'd tentatively include NJO in this as well, but that's only if you really get to loving the Star Wars EU. While the writing is generally mediocre (some worse, some better), it is a pretty major shakeup of things and is generally pretty fun. That being said, it's all being erased by Disney anyway, so this is totally optional.

Anyway, the X-Wing books are probably most in line with what you want (ie: the main characters aren't Han, Luke, Leia), and are generally pretty good. The first four novels are enjoyable enough but, unfortunately, are written by Mike Stackpole. If you can hold out until Aaron Allston starts with book 5 (Wraith Squadron), you'll be in for a real treat, since those are all 100% original characters and he actually has the virtue of being a good writer.

If you're interested in comics, I also -highly- recommend the Star Wars: Legacy series. It's set like 140 years after ROTJ and aside from the main character having a Skywalker last name, it couldn't be farther divorced from the original trilogy. It introduces a lot of really great ideas and characters that are refreshing for Star Wars, follows a kinda vaguely KOTOR 2 "there is more to life than just black and white" ethos, and is pretty mature. Plus it gave us Imperial Knights, and Imperial Knights are awesome.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'd be inclined to include Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest, since they have some relevance to Zahn's whole Thrawn arc and I remember finding them fun to read.

Drone posted:

As bad as some of it is, I'd tentatively include NJO in this as well, but that's only if you really get to loving the Star Wars EU. While the writing is generally mediocre (some worse, some better), it is a pretty major shakeup of things and is generally pretty fun. That being said, it's all being erased by Disney anyway, so this is totally optional.

Dark Nest and LOTF did that already! :v:

While everybody recommends Legacy for comics, my stock recommendation is always, always going to be Republic, every single time, without fail.

Maybe it's because I'm more inclined to enjoy stuff that's mostly set "in and around" the movies. I couldn't tell you. In any case, I'm pretty sure Dark Horse has collected most of it in omniboo.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Metal Loaf posted:

While everybody recommends Legacy for comics, my stock recommendation is always, always going to be Republic, every single time, without fail.

Maybe it's because I'm more inclined to enjoy stuff that's mostly set "in and around" the movies. I couldn't tell you. In any case, I'm pretty sure Dark Horse has collected most of it in omniboo.

I'd second that. I found Republic/Empire/Rebellion to be great overall, and was sad to see it (at least IMO) cancelled prematurely.