Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I don't see this as something worth complaining about? :shrug:

I'd like to assume that the radio buttons took all of like 15-20 minutes to add and if it shuts people up, it shuts people up.
It just feeds the crazies, and they already have Nexus for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

If they don't attempt to enforce this idiocy at all, then whatever. Pretty sure this is going to result in the same geniuses that implemented this policy banning guys over including some kids mod in their pack because the kid clicked the "im a whiny pussy" radio button on their mod page.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
There's a popular Arma3 mod that puts a big loving announcement on the screen when you start it, that says not to stream or post youtube videos of the mod.

I mean, I get and support modder's rights. And I guess that includes the right to be an insufferable douche. It's just frustrating and ruins the scene for modders who are doing it for the fun of doing it and for the love of the game.

If it weren't for modders, we wouldn't have so many of the awesome games we have today. But on the flipside of that coin, if the modders of today were around back then I don't think we would have had Team Fortress et al., because so many of them insist on monetizing their work and preventing anyone else from doing anything with it.

So basically, gently caress Obama.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ernie Muppari posted:

What is it about modding games like this that attracts the most insufferable/lame assholes?

It's a mix. Part of it is, as mentioned, every modder wants to be the next big hire at GAME COMPANY. Part of it is desperate monetization. And part of it is just insufferable shittiness. People see the mod as their mod, and how dare anyone else use it. A lot of them are college libertarians glaring at the moochers who would steal their brilliant work and use it for their own misdeeds. I remember the whole MODDERS RIGHTS thing in Skyrim was buried under pages and pages of Objectivism.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Looking at the modding community in Minecraft, the people who are the bitchiest about their mods being used elsewhere are almost always also the types that can't control feature creep, making their own work useless to anyone but the biggest fans/sperges anyway.

Any good idea made by an idiot can be copied and improved upon by normal people.

The drama is already starting. :shepface:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 11, 2014

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

That was kinda warranted from what I can tell. I wouldn't call building malicious backdoors into server mods your regular sperg mod drama, unless I'm missing something.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dapper Man posted:

That was kinda warranted from what I can tell. I wouldn't call building malicious backdoors into server mods your regular sperg mod drama, unless I'm missing something.

Apparently that dude is an intense and massive rear end in a top hat all around. A masshole...

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh, it's not regular sperg drama but still pretty "Videogame Modding Circa 2013" I'd say.

That's the kind of poo poo you invite when you host mods yourself.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
And they are officially putting a stop to .exe files in mods. Seems to be a good decision.

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/statuses/421655149778452480

Orv
May 4, 2011
lovely people doing lovely things and then occasionally cool stuff happens, is basically modern video game modding.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Apple Craft posted:

I mean, I get and support modder's rights.

Honestly, a modding scene can only exist with the goodwill of the people who made the game in the first place. If they're letting you mess around with their thing and not throwing a big old hissy fit about it, then you don't really have any reasonable ground to throw a big old hissy fit about someone else messing around with your stuff.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Is there an alternate download site aside from the Chucklefish forums for the goon mods?

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Unless your mod doesn't fall within the bounds of PG-13 I would always recommend posting it to the official site with as loose a restriction as you want on it. None of us want to deal with petty modder bullshit and the sooner we have a nice collection of people we can point to and say 'do it like them you shits' the better.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a mix. Part of it is, as mentioned, every modder wants to be the next big hire at GAME COMPANY.

I'd be happy if I just beat the Ponex in most popular mods. :v:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The second planet I landed on had like no hostile creatures on it barring a bird and was instead just brains and peaceful mushroom men, it was sweet.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Sledra posted:

Unless your mod doesn't fall within the bounds of PG-13 I would always recommend posting it to the official site with as loose a restriction as you want on it. None of us want to deal with petty modder bullshit and the sooner we have a nice collection of people we can point to and say 'do it like them you shits' the better.
For what it's worth, I just made sure to mark everything I've done as being usable without consent, both in modpacks and as assets.

I really hope Chucklefish reverses this decision, it's so drat stupid.

VVV Yeah the moment Workshop is up, I'm also out.

Random note from IRC:
"<Aquinas>I too want enhanced Dragon Dildos
<Aquinas>you can quote me on this"

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Taking a stand.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/will-no-longer-be-posting-my-mods-on-here-as-if-anyone-cares.64054/

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Go official forums! Unleash the sea of white noise! :downs:

quote:

Whats the policy?

quote:

Erm... What new policy are you talking about?

quote:

Well I don't really see a problem here. If you don't want your mod redistributed, just check the box that says not to and offenders will be punished.

quote:

What's the big deal?

quote:

I don't even see it as a big problem, someone has your mod w/no permission or didn't put you in credits? WRITE IT UP :wut:

The first real response predictably defends the change in policy:

Elate posted:

I think people are upset because they can't use anyone's mod in their pack or alter others work?

So unless I'm missing something, they're getting upset that not all mod authors will essentially make their work open source, and that they think it will impact the modding community. Which seems somewhat ridiculous since I've seen plenty of budding modding communities (Like the Elder Scrolls) and I for one would like to have control over how my own work is distributed, and since Chucklefish are also giving the option so that users don't need to seek permission if the mod creator wishes it, but hey ho, you can't please everyone.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 11, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Starbound mod community is dead, wrap it up folks.

See you @ Steam Workshop!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I really don't get why people are do annoyed at this. It placates the idiots and doesn't really effect cool people. Why is it such a big loving deal?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

djw175 posted:

It placates the idiots
Not really, it just makes them louder

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Where's my opt in option to be included in every mod pack, so my mod is on every server and I can use it everywhere?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Doggboat posted:

Where's my opt in option to be included in every mod pack, so my mod is on every server and I can use it everywhere?
My new policy will be that my mods can be used and reimplemented and modified freely and publicly released as that form, but if they ask permission they are disallowed from doing so, due to wasting my time.

It'll be a nice trap for people unable to read (ie most of the official forum).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

My new policy will be that my mods can be used and reimplemented and modified freely and publicly released as that form, but if they ask permission they are disallowed from doing so, due to wasting my time.

It'll be a nice trap for people unable to read (ie most of the official forum).

If you want to antagonize people, make it your policy that your mods are totally open-source, with the exception that nobody who has uploaded a mod requiring permission has your permission to use your mods for any purpose.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Hoo boy, now they are comparing modding to houses or fine art

you guys have fun with that

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Shoehead posted:

New Update is up!
  • HATS! Craftable at the Loom until I sort something better out. Enjoy!
  • Changed two of the starter costumes. One is a cooler Leather Jacket and the other a Letterman Jacket. Perfect for bringing out your inner Punk/Jock

Now I can sleep. HAve fun. Send me screen shots.

Honestly, the only thing that I think is slightly off with the race is calling them "Skellies" from the get-go. When I saw them I thought that maybe it should the race name should be "The Skellis" or something sort of proud and formal sounding, but then all of the other races end up referring to them as "Skellies". This in turn is then viewed by the skeletons as a somewhat derogative term for their noble '90s era race and thus adding to the weird racial tension that already exists between all of the current races :allears:

I'm also hoping that with all of the leather there's a '60s greaser-style look thrown in complete with an old-school hover-motorcycle as a ride, but that may be a bit hopeful :P

Though I will absolutely play the poo poo out of a character that has a backwards hat/sunglasses combo. gently caress yes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jackard posted:

Hoo boy, now they are comparing modding to houses or fine art

you guys have fun with that
The best part is that they all assume my mod was "stolen" components.

If anyone is wondering what it is, it's still here:

http://ddp.doorsclosing.com/_starbound/

I will be posting updates to the mod in this thread so the 3 people who use this thing, don't worry, it's still supported. :)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 11, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

djw175 posted:

I really don't get why people are do annoyed at this. It placates the idiots and doesn't really effect cool people. Why is it such a big loving deal?

Definite agreement. And even if it is a problem, it's pretty annoying that this thread is getting poo poo up with the very mod drama people are complaining about.

Also, to make things clear - it doesn't sound like there's going to be "punishment" if you include the wrong mod in a mod pack; your mod will just be delisted, and you can re-upload it if you remove the content.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah guys, lets not talk about the new mod policies on the official forums, especially since none of us are doing any modding ourselves.

Instead, lets talk about all these new features they're announcing, like:

-
-
and, of course,
-

djw175 posted:

It's less that people are annoyed and more that there's nothing else really going on right now. Plus, the "idiots" aren't really placated so it's fun to poke fun at them for being non-placated idiots.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Is there an alternate download site aside from the Chucklefish forums for the goon mods?

If you're trying to boycott the forums for some dumb reason, a lot of our mods are hosted off-site, you've just got to click through the forums to get to them. My stuff's on Mediafire because the forums wouldn't let me upload it there.

If you want to avoid the forums, then, welp, poo poo sucks. There's always the Nexus...

Orv
May 4, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Also, to make things clear - it doesn't sound like there's going to be "punishment" if you include the wrong mod in a mod pack; your mod will just be delisted, and you can re-upload it if you remove the content.

This is why it's lovely. If you release a mod you made to the public, it is with the explicit (or should be) understanding that it will be used and potentially modified by other people. The Bethesda and Minecraft modding communities are so monstrously lovely because of the rules that allow them to act like they are gods gift to modding and their mods are hallowed and if you touch them without permission you are worse than Hitler. Enabling these people is the reason people playing things like Skyrim frequently lose access to cool mods because the mod author blew a gasket and eliminated it from the internet because someone dared impugn upon their holy work.

It's a lovely idea that benefits only lovely people. If you made a mod and released it, that's it, end of your involvement in other peoples use of that mod.

E: ...lovely.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah guys, lets not talk about the new mod policies on the official forums, especially since none of us are doing any modding ourselves.

Instead, lets talk about all these new features they're announcing, like:

-
-
and, of course,
-

Assuming you're being serious, Indiestatik just put up a pretty cool piece on the positive aspects of the community, including interviews with both Mollygos and Ashton Raze, one of the writers: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/09/starbound-community/ I thought his perspective on ludonarrative techniques was really cool, especially the part about how a sandbox game is in some ways even better for storytelling than a more linear game. In Starbound, pretty much the entire story has to be done with "show, don't tell", and that leads to a very rich setting.

It also sounds like they're going to be expanding in-game events, like the holiday stuff, which sounds really cool:

Ashton Raze posted:

Post-gold release, or towards the end of beta, I’d like to do some kind of in-game events which only last for a certain amount of time. There’s a cage match between Big Ape and Kluex that gets discussed in the lore, for example, that could be a fun thing to set up and promote.

Orv posted:

It's a lovely idea that benefits only lovely people. If you made a mod and released it, that's it, end of your involvement in other peoples use of that mod.

That makes sense, and that's how things should be, but you're not being realistic. How is telling ego-tripping mod authors that they don't get any say in who uses their mods going to make the situation better? That's just going to make them freak out even more.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Well, the ego-tripping mod authors don't make the rules for the Starbound Mod Forums, so it's not so much telling them as trying to let the people in charge know that this is a bad idea by actually speaking up against the policies they're putting in. I thought we assumed that the Starbound Devs aren't completely dense and terrible yet, or has that changed?

Also:

XboxPants posted:

Assuming you're being serious, Indiestatik just put up a pretty cool piece on the positive aspects of the community, including interviews with both Mollygos and Ashton Raze, one of the writers: http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/09/starbound-community/ I thought his perspective on ludonarrative techniques was really cool, especially the part about how a sandbox game is in some ways even better for storytelling than a more linear game. In Starbound, pretty much the entire story has to be done with "show, don't tell", and that leads to a very rich setting.

It also sounds like they're going to be expanding in-game events, like the holiday stuff, which sounds really cool:

Is pretty interesting, yeah. So bring stuff like that up next time if you want people to change subjects.

Holiday stuff being something that's high on their radars gives me Animal Crossing vibes and I dig it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Well, the ego-tripping mod authors don't make the rules for the Starbound Mod Forums, so it's not so much telling them as trying to let the people in charge know that this is a bad idea by actually speaking up against the policies they're putting in. I thought we assumed that the Starbound Devs aren't completely dense and terrible yet, or has that changed?

Let me rephrase - How is Chucklefish telling ego-tripping mod authors that they don't get any say in who uses their mods going to make the situation better? Won't that just make them more upset and cause more trouble?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Regardless of what the main policy is some goon a year down the line is going to make a really good modpack that we all start using on our servers and its going to create a ton of drama because they didn't bother getting permissions.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you want to antagonize people, make it your policy that your mods are totally open-source, with the exception that nobody who has uploaded a mod requiring permission has your permission to use your mods for any purpose.
I'm co-opting this, thanks~

What I'm using is this:
"This mod is totally open-source, with anyone able to use and modify assets as they see fit, with the exception that nobody who has uploaded a mod requiring permission has permission to use this mod for any purpose."

I think we should all take it as kinda a standard goon license.

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 11, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Yeah I'm using that too, I'll have my 6 page essay requesting the rights for fair use in the mail in the morning ^^^

XboxPants posted:

Let me rephrase - How is Chucklefish telling ego-tripping mod authors that they don't get any say in who uses their mods going to make the situation better? Won't that just make them more upset and cause more trouble?

Yeah, probably. And then they'll stop being lovely, or they'll leave, which is also them not being lovely.

Or they'll continue to moan and complain, but at least we won't have to email them for three weeks begging for permission to use their floppy bird dick mod in our sweet megapack.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

XboxPants posted:

That makes sense, and that's how things should be, but you're not being realistic. How is telling ego-tripping mod authors that they don't get any say in who uses their mods going to make the situation better? That's just going to make them freak out even more.

"Deal with it or don't make mods" is literally what they should say, to the word. When you put your mod up for download or for linking, you've done exactly what the Starbound devs did. You put up your thing, and people are free to do whatever they want with it because once it's on their computer they can... y'know, do whatever they want with it! If you care about people putting your mod in a pack, by which they are saying "this is a good mod that I like that you should use"- if you hear that and get offended, you're making mods for the wrong reason. That's all there is to it.

XboxPants posted:

The people who whine about it don't get a say. If they stir up a bunch of crap then they'll get banned for being shitheels and that'll be the end of it. Maybe the Starbound forum mods are dumb and they won't get banned! I don't know, I'm just going to wait for the Workshop so I don't have to deal with it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 11, 2014

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The best part is that they all assume my mod was "stolen" components.

If anyone is wondering what it is, it's still here:

http://ddp.doorsclosing.com/_starbound/

I will be posting updates to the mod in this thread so the 3 people who use this thing, don't worry, it's still supported. :)

Thanks, I like your gun tweaks.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

XboxPants posted:

gently caress those morons. Tell them to gently caress off. You don't get provided a ton of tools to mod and experiment and then go NO YOU CAN'T USE MINEEEE like a whiny loving petulant child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

The Mattybee posted:

gently caress those morons. Tell them to gently caress off. You don't get provided a ton of tools to mod and experiment and then go NO YOU CAN'T USE MINEEEE like a whiny loving petulant child.

Indeed.

If you don't want people to use your mod then it is very simple. Don't release it. For everyone else it would be cool if you gave them a heads up that you were putting their work into a pack. Other than that just put their name in there somewhere as credit. "Based on so and so's awesome work", etc.

Seems pretty simple to me. v:v:v

• Locked thread