Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm so loving tired of everything I'm surrounded by in life right now, holy poo poo - need a parachute now.

What's up dude? Almost missed your post between the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can sympathize with him. My future in-laws invited themselves over a few days ago and are crashing in our 1-bedroom apartment. gently caress.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I quit all caffeine/nootropics/drugs a month or so ago and I've found I actually ride more like a dick now than I've ever on any sort of mind-altering chemical.

Also I rode 5.8 miles of residential and commercial in seven minutes to work today. Scissor Sisters will always be my favorite drug. :gay:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You probably just didn't realize how badly you were riding before you dope fiend :2bong:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm so loving tired of everything I'm surrounded by in life right now, holy poo poo - need a parachute now.

Move to CA! Ride motorcycles! Stuff like that!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

We get that too in the form of double fine construction zones that are in place for years with no construction occuring.

Sort of thought that was a WSDOT thing; few things give me a stronger urge to strangle bureaucrats.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To be fair, with highway construction there actually are a lot of periods when the road isn't technically finished but there also isn't anything going on. I don't remember the exact numbers, but (for instance) after pouring most types of concrete you have to just sit and wait for several weeks to months for it to properly cure before you can use it as a load-bearing element in any construction on top. Over that time period it's still a construction zone, but nobody's working.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Also in many states the doubled construction penalty is "when workers are present" so if you do get pulled over in the construction zone, check your states law, and when you fight it you may be able to at least nullify that part of it if you argue there were no workers present and make them prove otherwise.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

How long before you're snorting blow and riding 120 to keep your high going man? HOW LONG?!?! :mad:

People would begin to suspect something if I started turning up that chipper (and made it to lunch without a nap), and anyway, I talk enough bollocks as it is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As much as I instinctively don't like these walls of text, I agree with everything in there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As much as I instinctively don't like these walls of text, I agree with everything in there.

I agree, I've started to do this in my cage as well. But I picked up that habit from driving two very high geared little Japanese coupes and having mechanical empathy. Couldn't bring myself to keep my little Honda Prelude at 4k rpm to do 75 mph on I-85 like I normally did. Now I cruise in the slow lane in my 240, its pretty relaxing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus Christ I just had the cops call me and insist that I own a red dirtbike which I use to tear it up around my neighbourhood, including the railways foot bridge and a public staircase and such. As expected, I am now being blamed for every fuckwit on a motorbike within three blocks of my house.

Oh and my buyer for the ZRX fell through so it's time for another episode of Dealing with Dickheads(tm)!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Where is it you live, again, where the police politely harass you on the phone all the time? Sounds like a Kids in the Hall segment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New Zealand. It isn't nice, they can press charges based on that ridiculous claim alone. The rider "matches my description", my rear end. I wish people would just mind their own poo poo and live their own bloody lives.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

New Zealand. It isn't nice, they can press charges based on that ridiculous claim alone. The rider "matches my description", my rear end. I wish people would just mind their own poo poo and live their own bloody lives.

I have no idea how the law works in NZ but my advice is lawyer up, document everything (record the police call and inform them they're being recorded), then file a suit for police harassment, and might as well drag your neighbor into it as well to thoroughly discredit them as a witness.
(this will probably cost more than it would to just move somewhere with less assholes)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there literally no burden of proof in New Zealand or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The burden on me is to prove that, contrary to what my prior record and A Standup Citizen indicate, I don't, in fact, do incredibly dumb poo poo on bieks in my neighbourhood. Unfortunately NZ is very Speed Kills and because I'm young, male and have a somewhat dirty license I don't stand a chance.

I can't 'file a suit', NZ law doesn't work that way. I'd basically have to file a complaint with someone, like the police themselves or my local government representative or similar, and hope it gets investigated in a meaningful way (which it might or might not). They can't realistically charge me with anything and succeed, but they're perfectly within their rights to, say, camp on my street and speedgun me whenever they like, or ask my neighbours which vehicle I'm driving then check if that vehicle has a current rego (more on this in a bit) and so on. I'm also far, far less likely to get off with a warning for any kind of ticket, especially on my bike, because that vehicle and my license will be flagged in their system.

Most people don't realise how pervasive this is, or they just think it's a good thing, which is why people think it's an awesome idea to call the cops on someone to 'scare them straight'. My boss once lost his license and had his car impounded because of nosy neighbours trying to scare him.

To elaborate on my ticket, the registration (road tax) for my zx10 is 'on hold' which means the registration is live and valid, but the vehicle is meant to not be used on the road and is exempt from paying registration. The intent is for project cars and the like.

This is separate to a warrant of fitness, which is a mandatory bi-annual safety inspection. All my vehicles always have a current WoF; the ticket for no rego is administrative, the ticket for no warrant garners demerit points and other trouble. Registering the ZX10 for a year costs around $600; a ticket for no rego is $100. Therefore I don't bother registering it because I can't remember the last time a cop gave me more than a warning for it.

Unfortunately my neighbour decided to call the police and tell them I was riding to work on the ninja and rattled off the numberplate. Based on this alone, and the fact that the rider of the bike 'matches my description' I got a ticket for no rego in the mail. No police stop required, no confrontation with me required.

I hate living in the suburbs and I want to live in the middle of nowhere so people can just gently caress right off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

my neighbour decided to call the police and tell them I was riding to work on the ninja and rattled off the numberplate. Based on this alone, and the fact that the rider of the bike 'matches my description' I got a ticket for no rego in the mail. No police stop required, no confrontation with me required.

Find someone local with a history of arson, set fire to her house and blame it one them. A letter to the Police is apparently all they would need.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jesus gently caress every bit of that. Have you go pro'ed up yet? Maybe in some small way that will help if you do have to stop and talk to the police.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I dunno, kinda sounds like you were riding like an rear end in a top hat and without papers and it caught up to you...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh, yes, this is why I always have my papers in order. I have gotten out of quite a few tickets thanks to having all of my info readily available, unlike most bikers. Only break one law at a time and all that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Surburbanites are the worst. Living with a stay-at-home mom makes you realize that the phenomenon of "having nothing better to do than create this absolutely absurd scenarios in one's head to the detriment of others" is very, very real. Either ban idleness or legalize Valium, because if we don't act soon I'll have to change my stance to legalizing murder first.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Jesus gently caress every bit of that. Have you go pro'ed up yet? Maybe in some small way that will help if you do have to stop and talk to the police.

I've got a lovely Chinese action cam from ages ago which I've recorded two weeks of mind-numbingly boring gl145 commute footage with so that's covered.

nsaP posted:

I dunno, kinda sounds like you were riding like an rear end in a top hat and without papers and it caught up to you...

No, I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I deliberately don't speed in my neighbourhood just to prevent something like this happening and it did anyway.

My rego is entirely up-to-date on my GL145 because I ride that every day. Registration here is seen as an administrative tax; warrant of fitness is the major one that gets you in real trouble. People always have overdue registrations without them even being on hold and 90% of the time the police don't really care. But I'm going to start paying for the zx10 as well, now that I'm being scrutinized so closely. I'm also going to invest in a radar detector; I don't normally speed around town, just out in the boonies, but you never know.

Xovaan posted:

Surburbanites are the worst. Living with a stay-at-home mom makes you realize that the phenomenon of "having nothing better to do than create this absolutely absurd scenarios in one's head to the detriment of others" is very, very real. Either ban idleness or legalize Valium, because if we don't act soon I'll have to change my stance to legalizing murder first.

Yeah, this.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Xovaan posted:

All ready to soak up the latest hype on the weather channel.

Crossing my fingers to maybe actually ride on Sunday. It' been seriously cold and snowy around here and I am missing being on two.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Is there literally no burden of proof in New Zealand or something?

I don't know about NZ specifically, but 25% of the countries in the world explicitly do not have a presumption of innocence, and of the three-quarters that nominally do, many don't follow it in practice. In Japan, for instance, which does have a presumption of innocence, the police simply don't pursue charges if they don't think you did it. But that means that if they do charge you, it's heavily implied by the system that you are guilty, and you have to fight to prove your innocence or you'll be convicted by default. I think France and Germany are the same way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nz is like that. Not too long ago a guy got charged with murder; it seemed pretty open and shut and the police pursued the case very vigorously. Eventually he was found not-guilty despite fairly overwhelming evidence and literally no other potential suspects whatsoever.

Now whenever he comes up in the media, the police are asked if they're pursuing any leads and they always give the same pointed reply: "The police are not investigating any other suspects."

Because they're 100% certain he did it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

According to UPS, my oil filter sat in Hodgkins, IL for five days before being left at the front door of my high-rise apartment building today. Typically, the front desk signs for packages, but no signatures today, folks! Will it turn up? :iiam:

The oil and battery that I ordered at the same time, same Prime shipping, arrived on Tuesday.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about NZ specifically, but 25% of the countries in the world explicitly do not have a presumption of innocence, and of the three-quarters that nominally do, many don't follow it in practice. In Japan, for instance, which does have a presumption of innocence, the police simply don't pursue charges if they don't think you did it. But that means that if they do charge you, it's heavily implied by the system that you are guilty, and you have to fight to prove your innocence or you'll be convicted by default. I think France and Germany are the same way.

France and Germany (along with most of mainland Europe) use the inquisitorial system, where the judiciary are much more on the side of (and heavily involved with) the prosecution, although there is still a (supposed) presumption of innocence at trial. NZ, like almost all of the rest of the Anglophone world, is on the common law system where the judiciary is (again supposedly) entirely independent of the prosecution.

Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses and (as seen here) most common law countries completely throw the presumption of innocence out the window as soon as it's inconvenient to them - see also ASBOs in the UK and asset forfeiture in the US and just about anything to do with terrorism in either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fingerling posted:

double demerit point weekend
They totally dropped the ball by not naming it "unhappy hour".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

According to UPS, my oil filter sat in Hodgkins, IL for five days before being left at the front door of my high-rise apartment building today. Typically, the front desk signs for packages, but no signatures today, folks! Will it turn up? :iiam:

The oil and battery that I ordered at the same time, same Prime shipping, arrived on Tuesday.

For the Ulysses? I have a handy oil filter cross reference list for Autozone and Walmart-available options. I use the KN HP-1003 because it has a handy hex nut on the end.

ACDelco # UPF1233 
Amsoil SDF10, EA009, EA010 (1/2”longer=more oil) 
Bosch # 3311 
Car Quest 85394 
Champion # C138 
Fram # PH4967 
HD # 63806-004 or 00y? 
HiFloFiltro #HF177 
K&N # hp-1003, KN-177 
Mighty # m4477 
Napa # 1394 
Mobil 1 # M1-103 
Motorcraft # FL836 
Penzoil # pz39 
Purolator # L14476 
STP # S4967 
Valvoline # vo40 
Wal-Mart Super Tech # ST4967 
Wix # 51394 

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to save that for later.

My oil filter did actually turn up on Saturday. After reading so many horror stories about stripping out the drain plug, finding 15 ft-lbs with my torque wrench took a looong time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah it's like stupid stupid easy to strip the drain bolt. I'm using a rubber tension plug because first thing I did was strip it. Torque specs are for dry thread, which is belly laugh-worthy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You know what's worse than quitting cigarettes? Quitting wasting all of your time on the internet.

gently caress both of them :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

You know what's worse than quitting cigarettes? Quitting wasting all of your time on the internet.
Compulsive Forum Readers Anonymous.

They would have an online forum.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Collateral Damage posted:

Compulsive Forum Readers Anonymous.

They would have an online forum.

Seriously.

I'm bored, may as well go read about random poo poo on forums. Five hours later... gently caress.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a Ninja 600 in the motorcycle lot with a whole bunch of peripherals on it: tall windscreen; frame sliders; fork and swingarm spools; tank protector; tank grips; and some other stuff. Bike looks nice and clean, except the chain; it's rusted to poo poo, several kinks in it too.
At least spend the money for some chain lube and cleaner. Goddamn.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

A friend of mine had a Z1000 that he kept nice care of but never lubed or cleaned the chain because "it's got O-rings, it's lubed for life!".
I only noticed that something was weird when I heard all the squeaking and squealing of his chain as he rode down my driveway.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I prefer to lube my chain with the tears of others who look on in dismay.

Just kidding I lube it as much as I can I'm so terrified of another chain snap oh god. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Coydog posted:

I prefer to lube my chain with the tears of others who look on in dismay.

Just kidding I lube it as much as I can I'm so terrified of another chain snap oh god. :(

Snapping a chain is really quite rare. I think you just got (un)lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Didn't his PO make a mistake of some sort with the chain? All I mean is partly unlucky but also human error.