Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

chaosapiant posted:

FCR is great on paper, but I find it makes the game too drat frustrating. As in, I can't get past the Barghests in the opening of Chapter 1, and have to constantly cycle through that drat cutscene over and over again. And i've beaten the game on hard, twice, no sweat. I love the intent of the mod but...it's not for me.

I may not have noticed if it wasn't for that bleed stun animation, I'm kinda glad it did because after I removed it I completely obliterated the rest of the Barghests, cleared the crypt, faced Salamandra on the bridge without as much as reloading once (I did use potions, of course, and I've been spending my talents), but gently caress that stunlock.

Besides, I just want to play through 1 to play 2, so I really didn't want the experience to be an exercise in frustration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Deketh posted:

I tried to get FCR to work for me, but something must have gone wrong cos Geralt will never do this auto block thing and the skills look messed up too. I don't really have a problem with vanilla anyway, though the extra animations look cool.

The skills have an issue where the new names and descriptions FCR give them don't show or something along those lines. I don't remember how to fix it but there is a way, a quick google should hopefully help you there. I remember also thinking that the auto block seemed bust, apparently it's supposed to block the first blockable attack made on you in a certain time frame but I found it more reliable to just dodge non stop.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

GoldenNugget posted:

Storywise I still like witcher 1 better.

I've seen other people say this and I'll never understand it. The plot of TW1 was really quite simple. It just ended with a memorable twist. I was far more invested in TW2's story.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

I've seen other people say this and I'll never understand it. The plot of TW1 was really quite simple. It just ended with a memorable twist. I was far more invested in TW2's story.

What hooked me on Witcher 1 was the actual investigation section and the fact the bad guy of the game might be 100% completely justified in everything he did. If the white frost is coming and his actions saved the human race, they could be excused no matter how evil the deed. But we'll never know now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What hooked me on Witcher 1 was the actual investigation section and the fact the bad guy of the game might be 100% completely justified in everything he did. If the white frost is coming and his actions saved the human race, they could be excused no matter how evil the deed. But we'll never know now.

The question is whether there's anything left that was worth saving after he's done.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought humanity would mostly go on as before, just with the Grandmaster presiding over them with an army of Greater Brothers?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Sharmat posted:

I thought humanity would mostly go on as before, just with the Grandmaster presiding over them with an army of Greater Brothers?

Naah, I think the idea was everyone completely mutated.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I got the impression that the Greater Brothers were to serve as protection for humanity's long journey southward, not as a replacement for humanity.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I got the impression that the Greater Brothers were to serve as protection for humanity's long journey southward, not as a replacement for humanity.
Yeah, me too. I think that certain letters or journal notes even mentions that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Also The Greater Brothers are probably sterile, so not exactly a sustainable replacement for vanilla Homo sapiens.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Any recommendation on forging swords? I have the started sword set and a few meteorite pieces (1 red, 2 blue) and some runes, but I'm hesitant to spend them; do you get better swords down the road, or all upgrades come from reforging?

And if you get better "base" swords, should I just save the meteorites/runes until then?

/edit: some further reading cleared that up, you don't upgrade them, you forge new ones (meteorite ones). I guess I'll forge a new one till I start getting new swords.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 11, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any recommendation on forging swords? I have the started sword set and a few meteorite pieces (1 red, 2 blue) and some runes, but I'm hesitant to spend them; do you get better swords down the road, or all upgrades come from reforging?

And if you get better "base" swords, should I just save the meteorites/runes until then?

/edit: some further reading cleared that up, you don't upgrade them, you forge new ones (meteorite ones). I guess I'll forge a new one till I start getting new swords.
Looted swords have the most straight damage boosts, up to 100%, forged swords have more debuffs/special effects. If you picked talents that improve your debuffs, the latter are better. If you didn't, just go with the ones that just make big numbers pop out of an enemy's head when you hit them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I'm coming up to the route split at the end of chapter 1. Which route would you guys suggest for someone who only intends to play through the game once?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do you want a darker more dramatic story? Go with Roche.
Do you want a more epic and heroic story? Go with Iorveth.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Do you want a more epic and heroic story? Go with Iorveth.

Does one have more important overall story to it than the other? I haven't read the novels or whatever, but I'm just looking to pick whichever route will prepare me for TW3 the best.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not really, no. The one story point that the entire the series is concerned with, the Wild Hunt, is equally presented no matter which path you take. So go whichever way you feel more inclined to.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 12, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So I'm coming up to the route split at the end of chapter 1. Which route would you guys suggest for someone who only intends to play through the game once?
Keep a savegame from before the split if you want to avoid playing through all of the prologue and act 1 again, you need to see both paths to really "get" everything and there's almost no duplicate content in act 2 and 3 so by onply playing one set you'll miss out on 30% of the game or so. Overall, the game works best if you go with Roche first and then Iorveth.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Asehujiko posted:

Keep a savegame from before the split if you want to avoid playing through all of the prologue and act 1 again, you need to see both paths to really "get" everything and there's almost no duplicate content in act 2 and 3 so by onply playing one set you'll miss out on 30% of the game or so. Overall, the game works best if you go with Roche first and then Iorveth.

How much is almost no duplicate content? I'm not really interested in playing through 2 chapters again if the changes amount to talking to some different NPCs in the same places, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Different storylines, different quests, except for the boss battles. The paths share two mandatory boss battles, and one optional one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The correct answer is to go with Iorveth because he is the loving best and Roche is just a big fuddy duddy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Verranicus posted:

How much is almost no duplicate content? I'm not really interested in playing through 2 chapters again if the changes amount to talking to some different NPCs in the same places, etc.
The shared content is one boss in act 2, one optional mission* in act 3, the final boss, the optional post-game boss and both paths allow you to finish the Mystic River side quest.

*not really optional but at one point you get to choose between three different quests you can only do one of before the plot advances, one that requires you to be with Iorveth, one that you can do regardless of your path and one that requires you to be with Roche.

Geography wise, chunks of the act 2 and 3 overworld are shared but your quest hubs are in different places and areas where you'll spend 75% of your time in one path appear for about 5 minutes in the other and all but one side areas are unique.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 12, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

But really, I wouldn't worry too much about that until the future when you decide whether or not you feel like playing again. For now, which path you take doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. And my only advice, again, is are you personally in the mood for more drama or more heroism?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also, in terms of long-term plot plot, there are basically three major factions. By the end of the game, you will have chosen to screw two of the three and save the remainder. The end of Act 1 determines which two options you'll be able to pick from to save (one is available on both paths).

Deciding on drama vs heroism is probably a good way to go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hakkesshu posted:

The correct answer is to go with Iorveth because he is the loving best and Roche is just a big fuddy duddy.

gently caress Temeria, Upper Aedirn all the way. :911:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Iorveth is only good if you want to have a lot of new non-human buddies and accidentally want to end up as father of a nation.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
A very specific take on Iorveth's path has an interesting end scenario that depending on how TW3 handles it, if at all, makes it either awesome or awful.

I initially chose Iorveth over Roche for roleplaying reasons though, with no foreknowledge of what came next. It's best that way, really.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

A very specific take on Iorveth's path has an interesting end scenario that depending on how TW3 handles it, if at all, makes it either awesome or awful.
Oh, which one are you thinking about?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the save saskia, unite Aedern under her ending because that path at the end of the game the only "good"-ish leader is in power but the last scene implies that it basically doesn't matter because the empire is just going to conquer everything and there is nothing Saskia can do about it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Do you want a more elf pussy? Go with Iorveth.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wachepti posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the save saskia, unite Aedern under her ending because that path at the end of the game the only "good"-ish leader is in power but the last scene implies that it basically doesn't matter because the empire is just going to conquer everything and there is nothing Saskia can do about it

Eh, I doubt that.

The thing about the Witcher endings is it isn't pointlessly grimdark. You can't save everyone, and that's a good thing, but you can make a difference for somebody. It would be throwing that all away if the Empire just unilaterally stomped everyone.

I personally suspect the Wild Hunt is going to somehow gently caress everything up behind Nilfgaardian lines

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Sylphosaurus posted:

Oh, which one are you thinking about?

Iorveth path, don't save Saskia, but don't kill her. That leaves Philippa (and Sile if she's not dead) in control of a dragon, and now quite desperate and angry. That better loving have repercussions in TW3. It makes the victory rather bitter sweet though. Which I like.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Personally, I'm not expecting major repercussions from any of the various W2 storylines. I'm expecting it be more like the W1 import; i.e. mostly dialogue references (with the biggest possible difference being Siegfried popping up, though not changing a whole lot).

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 13, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I expect that for everything but the instance I sighted, which seems to demand resolution, and even hints at one at the end of the game. If you don't save Saskia, you can get Philippa's dagger from Iorveth's captors in the epilogue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't think it's gonna happen, but we'll see.

I mean, I don't think we have any reason to say definitively that the resolution must take place within Witcher 3's time frame, however long that is. So right now, my guess is that it's not gonna come up in the game.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 13, 2014

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
gently caress that son of a whore Iorveth. Broche all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjyqqHU7JI

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Konsek posted:

gently caress that son of a whore Iorveth. Broche all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjyqqHU7JI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCBGFiyq75w

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

I don't think it's gonna happen, but we'll see.

I mean, I don't think we have any reason to say definitively that the resolution must take place within Witcher 3's time frame, however long that is. So right now, my guess is that it's not gonna come up in the game.

I acknowledge this is a possibility but I really hope it's not the case. I mean Philippa and possibly Sile just kinda sitting on a dragon without using it would be kinda lame.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I acknowledge this is a possibility but I really hope it's not the case. I mean Philippa and possibly Sile just kinda sitting on a dragon without using it would be kinda lame.
Just pretend that Philippa's using Witcher's 3 time to magically regenerate her eyes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wonder if She still has eyes as an owl? And how long does regeneration take, anyway? I know Vilgefortz lost an eye in the books and grew it back..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Looks like NexusMods changed their website layout without having redirects.
For example:
http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/272 (Comfy Couch from the OP) became http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/272/

Most of the mods in the OP(s) are outdated.

• Locked thread