Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Well, somebody should have thought of that before they got a guy's youtube account shut down with a false copyright claim. Now Jay Owen's vengeful ghost will haunt their various gaming accounts for as long as he can keep phishing control of them out of their idiot heads.

Didn't someone just post that those videos are older than the can crushing videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Genocyber posted:

Didn't someone just post that those videos are older than the can crushing videos

Oh :saddowns:

That robs it of some of the magic.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I consider a fake copyright takedown request on about equal footing with streamsniping & hacking & habitually harassing the same person for hours in the arena of griefing. All is fair in love and grief, sometimes the griefed grief back

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Except that one of those is explicitly a criminal act.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ghostlight posted:

Are you going to jail? No? Then just laugh at it while pulling the gargantuan stick out of your rear end.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I do not think you understand the terrible gravity of breaking the law, such that a youtube video is removed from the internet. This is a SERIOUS OFFENSE

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ghostlight posted:

Apparently not on youtube as no actual charges are filed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

e: dang is this a dumb derail

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 11, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

This one gave me a few laughs. Taking advantage of Kinect voice commands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k

This is hilarious. It's such a simple grief and the video was made better by almost everyone in the video laughing it off when they get tricked.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's the 21st century version of Pete and Re-Pete walking into a bar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheSpiritFox posted:

Are you going to jail? No? Then just laugh at it while pulling the gargantuan stick out of your rear end.
I think you misunderstood. It wasn't that one of them isn't funny, it just isn't on the same level as the others because someone can call your copyright bluff and stiff you with a bill.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Stiffing someone with a pizza bill is a classic neighborhood grief.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRfddWwgx8

A rare example of an npc griefing the player from AC4.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

tehloki posted:

I consider a fake copyright takedown request on about equal footing with streamsniping & hacking & habitually harassing the same person for hours in the arena of griefing. All is fair in love and grief, sometimes the griefed grief back

One of them is funny and clever and the other is about someone getting their feelings hurt and robbing me of solid griefing vids. You're a monster to equate them, tehloki

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Actually the fact that somebody is so wounded that there is a video online of them getting owned that they attempt to use the internet's legal system to take it down is, indeed, funny

Also I am of the controversial opinion that hacking and stalking a person from server to server to make sure it is impossible for them to play the game is probably the kind of griefing that transcends playful fun and enters the area of Just Kind Of Being A Dick and definitely invites some kind of retaliation. I loved the can crush videos at first but the more recent ones seem to be less of a joke and more of a war on game streamers. Sure a lot of them awkward and homophobic but maybe you don't need to devote 3 hours to ruining their day with perfunctory references to your old funny griefing meme

user on probation fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 11, 2014

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

tehloki posted:

Actually the fact that somebody is so wounded that there is a video online of them getting owned that they attempt to use the internet's legal system to take it down is, indeed, funny

Also I am of the controversial opinion that hacking and stalking a person from server to server to make sure it is impossible for them to play the game is probably the kind of griefing that transcends playful fun and enters the area of Just Kind Of Being A Dick and definitely invites some kind of retaliation. I loved the can crush videos at first but the more recent ones seem to be less of a joke and more of a war on game streamers. Sure a lot of them awkward and homophobic but maybe you don't need to devote 3 hours to ruining their day with perfunctory references to your old funny griefing meme

Greifing in general is just kind of being a dick. That's the whole loving point.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
What I meant was that it has stopped being funny to watch

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

So don't watch it. Easy as that!

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Greifing in general is just kind of being a dick. That's the whole loving point.

There's funny stuff and there's tripping people and yelling "Nobody loves you!", with a whole lot of room in between. It's subjective but I think you can hit a point where it's just too mean-spirited to be funny.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Just discussing my opinions of the content, my dude.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

tehloki posted:

it is impossible for them to play the game

nah this part is still hilarious and sort of the point, the amount of effort put in by the antagonist just makes it funnier

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

This discussion of what constitutes griefing and what doesn't has been played in this thread since it's inception. Can we please shut up about it? Humor is subjective. If it isn't your style, then don't read the thread.

The people in the streams never lost any information or wages or accounts. What they got was about 30 minutes on the phone with customer service max. But everyone who saw their reaction was the main purpose of said grief.

Hacking is looked down upon here because it isn't generally creative but there has been a few that make it interesting (like AVO). What that person did was a lot better than doing something on the same levels of copyright infringement.

Now please, someone regale me with a SS13 story. I can never get enough of those and have plans to start playing as soon as the new version comes out.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I just remembered a more interesting Minecraft grief I did on a small Vanilla/Anarchy server.

There's this enormous Japanese pagoda owned by a particular group of people on the server (weaboos). Now this place was relatively simple if you just checked out the obvious places; there was a ton of meat in the kitchen, a few building resources just lying around, etc. But on the ground floor there was a square of doors which they'd turned into some Naruto-esque jumping puzzle, and a fountain.

On a whim, I decided to jump into the fountain, and discovered the secret passageway underneath it. In the basement was a chest with a ton of diamonds, gold, etc. which of course I stole.

Next thing to do was set up the obvious redstone circuit: the annoyance machine. If you don't know about the annoyance machine, it's a simple redstone circuit which opens and closes a ton of doors at once. As Minecraft layers sounds over one another you get a cacophony of door open-shutting noises as a result. I set this up with some of the redstone I stole underneath the jumping puzzle.

Then I realised an obvious problem; someone could just come down and deactivate the annoyance machine. So I changed the fountain entrance a little - I put a sign under the entrance to the basement (which blocks water), dug the hole deeper below this, and placed lava at the bottom. Anyone trying to enter through the fountain would drop into the lava, burn to death, and lose all their held items too.

A few hours later I log on and a bunch of people are screaming about losing their things. Griefing for lazy people.

EDIT: I also enjoyed the old sand-tower trick. Put a giant tower of sand filled with water or lava in front of someone's front door. They'll dig it out and have to deal with a load of floating water or lava springs.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 12, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Here's a fun thing that can happen over in Rust.

So the way the building system works is that you put down a foundation that serves as the basis of your house, then put up walls/doors/ceilings and so forth. Walls and metal doors are secure in that you have to use C4, which is expensive to make, to break them down. You also cannot remove walls once placed, whether you put them there or not. This keeps people from getting in... or from getting out.

So let's say this guy is ticking you off and has a lot of stuff in his house, but only one doorway. What do you do? Well, since the actual houses aren't tagged to players then you can put down a foundation in front of his metal door, then build three walls and a ceiling that connects to it. His only way to get out of his house, which contains all of his stuff and his sleeping bags (respawn point) now goes into a completely sealed second room. Unless he has C4 or a massive amount of spare materials lying around (and I do mean massive) then he is now in a 2x1 wooden coffin.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

Now please, someone regale me with a SS13 story. I can never get enough of those and have plans to start playing as soon as the new version comes out.

Dunno if you're following the SS13 LP thread, but Razage just completed a traitor round in which he blew up the AI early on and got killed a short while later. That's not the interesting part. The interesting part is that the crew attempted to resurrect the AI by opening its case and placing two separate crew members' brains in it. The first didn't work so..why not try again, I guess? Now, when you die in SS13 you can become a ghost and you get to see all chat on the station as well as gain access to a special ghost channel. The reason why that operation is funny despite not working is that as a result, three different ghosts had the AI's name. The AI itself, and the two dead, implanted crew members. Basically the living crew managed to mini-grief the ghosts of the dead crew and probably didn't even realize it.

The amount of mechanics in that game is astonishing, and now I really want to see a genuine multiple personality AI.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Buried alive posted:

The amount of mechanics in that game is astonishing, and now I really want to see a genuine multiple personality AI.
Its been done before, it wasn't that amusing.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have a link to that one CS video with morphmod where the terrorists turn into bombs, forklifts, helicopters, etc? It was posted earlier in the thread but the google video link is dead.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

*fart*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhs3y2Lc-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSb-qTbQTa8

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Buried alive posted:

On a non-goon SS13 server, the admins did a thing that let there be three simultaneous AIs in the AI core. Now, that's all well and good, but on that server, if there's multiple AIs, you have to select which one you're uploading laws to. A traitor got into the AI core, uploaded a pile of assorted laws to the three AIs, and among those laws made two of the AIs rogue(Able to harm humans), and one not.

Things got interesting, that round. The AIs basically were griefing each other, flipping off each others' power supplies and ordering their personal cyborgs around (over the machinespeak channel, which all cyborgs and AIs can hear), while the crew were confused as hell and trying futilely to break into the core.

Someone probably blew us all up at the end.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Anyone have a link to that one CS video with morphmod where the terrorists turn into bombs, forklifts, helicopters, etc? It was posted earlier in the thread but the google video link is dead.

It's in the op for posterity.
E:fb

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Blocked for copyright violations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Buried alive posted:

Dunno if you're following the SS13 LP thread, but Razage just completed a traitor round in which he blew up the AI early on and got killed a short while later. That's not the interesting part. The interesting part is that the crew attempted to resurrect the AI by opening its case and placing two separate crew members' brains in it. The first didn't work so..why not try again, I guess? Now, when you die in SS13 you can become a ghost and you get to see all chat on the station as well as gain access to a special ghost channel. The reason why that operation is funny despite not working is that as a result, three different ghosts had the AI's name. The AI itself, and the two dead, implanted crew members. Basically the living crew managed to mini-grief the ghosts of the dead crew and probably didn't even realize it.

I'm about 3k posts behind.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqEyYVvtiw

Bloody Trapland: Even easier to kill your friends than in New Super Mario Bros. Wii

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 13, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

RatHat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqEyYVvtiw

Bloody Trapland: Even easier to kill than your friends than in New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Holy god that game looks terrible.

On the other hand it involves watching furries explode into giblets every 0.8 seconds :shrug:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
My last post wasn't really about griefing, so lemme make it up.

Dunno how viable this is anymore, but it's pretty funny to pull off when a lone Engineer sanwiches himself between his sentry gun and dispenser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1K2vVHYYPY#t=362

Why this happens:

Usually, a friendly sentry's missiles would go right through a teammate, but the Engineer who built the sentry will take the damage, like how Soldiers and Demo's can propel themselves with their own explosives but take damage as a consequence. Engineers can use this to shoot their own missiles at their feet to rocket jump onto higher ground that only Soldiers/Demo's could reach.

For some reason, the Engineer's sentry missiles can't damage the dispenser nor can it pass right through so the dispenser can act as a form of cover for the Spy. When the Spy moves around disguised, the gun won't react but as soon as the Spy removes his disguise, the gun will automatically home in on his position, which just happened to be behind the Engineer.

The cool thing about this is that you can stand behind the dispenser and shoot the sentry gun until it's destroyed and then sap the dispenser.

tl;dr: Get an Engineer killed by his own toys and then break his toys.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Action Tortoise posted:

My last post wasn't really about griefing, so lemme make it up.

Dunno how viable this is anymore, but it's pretty funny to pull off when a lone Engineer sanwiches himself between his sentry gun and dispenser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1K2vVHYYPY#t=362

Why this happens:

Usually, a friendly sentry's missiles would go right through a teammate, but the Engineer who built the sentry will take the damage, like how Soldiers and Demo's can propel themselves with their own explosives but take damage as a consequence. Engineers can use this to shoot their own missiles at their feet to rocket jump onto higher ground that only Soldiers/Demo's could reach.

For some reason, the Engineer's sentry missiles can't damage the dispenser nor can it pass right through so the dispenser can act as a form of cover for the Spy. When the Spy moves around disguised, the gun won't react but as soon as the Spy removes his disguise, the gun will automatically home in on his position, which just happened to be behind the Engineer.

The cool thing about this is that you can stand behind the dispenser and shoot the sentry gun until it's destroyed and then sap the dispenser.

tl;dr: Get an Engineer killed by his own toys and then break his toys.
That spy video is giving me an aneurysm. He goes on talking about avoiding L3 sentry tracking for a fraction of a second like it's the hardest thing in the world; meanwhile I'm tauntsliding circles around L3 sentries for sport and fun. A spy (any normal movepseed class) can circle-strafe around a L3 sentry indefinitely provided they don't bump into anything. That video is making a really big deal over something pretty basic. If there is a grief be found there, it's playing the pub engie and not being terrible at it. Hordes of spies watch videos like that and try all these unfathomably dumb tricks that will never work against any player privy to them.

One of my current favorite emergent gimmicks in TF2 is the sniper-hunting stickyjumper demoman. It's a gimmick loadout for killing bad snipers by flying through air faster than anything with no self-damage and using a melee that will one-shot light classes (like snipers.) It's not useful in any sense. In fact it's decidedly unhelpful because it makes the enemy team have less snipers, but actually that's the entire point! TF2 public servers have quite enough terrible snipers; the guys that specifically target them are actually doing a great service to everyone. The beauty of stickyjumper demos is - unlike traditional sniper counters (spy, scout which can in turn be countered by other classes) - when a stickyjumper demo wants to kill some snipers repeatedly there really isn't much anyone can do to stop them. Those snipers are going to die repeatedly (and that is usually cause for celebration on both teams.)

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sanctum posted:

That spy video is giving me an aneurysm. He goes on talking about avoiding L3 sentry tracking for a fraction of a second like it's the hardest thing in the world; meanwhile I'm tauntsliding circles around L3 sentries for sport and fun. A spy (any normal movepseed class) can circle-strafe around a L3 sentry indefinitely provided they don't bump into anything. That video is making a really big deal over something pretty basic. If there is a grief be found there, it's playing the pub engie and not being terrible at it. Hordes of spies watch videos like that and try all these unfathomably dumb tricks that will never work against any player privy to them.

I'm not sure if those videos are related, but years back I heard about a group that offered themselves as consultants - for pay - to help improve your TF2 game.

Bardo
Nov 6, 2009
Edited: already posted, my b.

Bardo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 13, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Bardo posted:

This is not me, but I didn't see it posted in the thread yet, and I think it's neat.

Apparently some people are using voice commands to do some very minor griefing in the newer consoles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWZLa4AnN5k#t=107

I don't own an XBox One, are there other commands that could be used like this?

It was posted one page back :ssh:

Still a hilarious one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I eagerly await the adventures of the honorable Xbox Bing Goatse.

• Locked thread