Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

At the moment Germany is pretty boring. Nothing anyone really cares about. Even the elections were kinda meh.

True. The only somewhat interesting thing going on right now is the EU commission trying to flex its muscles with regards to considering the EEG a source of illegal state aid. And that's a slowly developing and complicated issue not really suited for our mass media's news cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Randler posted:

True. The only somewhat interesting thing going on right now is the EU commission trying to flex its muscles with regards to considering the EEG a source of illegal state aid. And that's a slowly developing and complicated issue not really suited for our mass media's news cycles.

Sadly its not the EEG itself that is considered an illegal subvention but the exceptions to the EEG for certain businesses. If the EU comission would outlaw the whole EEG, man, I would buy a plane ticket to Brussels to cheer for them asap. But, alas, bureaucrats will never support the free market, so thats not going to happen.

As for the footballer, it's an attention grap by a has-been player. If he would have come out while being an active footballer, it might have changed something, but this way, he just gets another 15min especially because of the olympics in sotchi and a slow news week/month. Hell biggest news were 2 ski accidents for the last 2 weeks (Merkel and Schumacher). Also I think in germany the gays have all the rights they need and there is not this zealos fight over gay marriage/adoption etc. that the US have for example. It's just that they may not call it "Ehe" (marriage) and can't adopt, which is good in my book.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GaussianCopula posted:

Sadly its not the EEG itself that is considered an illegal subvention but the exceptions to the EEG for certain businesses. If the EU comission would outlaw the whole EEG, man, I would buy a plane ticket to Brussels to cheer for them asap. But, alas, bureaucrats will never support the free market, so thats not going to happen.

As for the footballer, it's an attention grap by a has-been player. If he would have come out while being an active footballer, it might have changed something, but this way, he just gets another 15min especially because of the olympics in sotchi and a slow news week/month. Hell biggest news were 2 ski accidents for the last 2 weeks (Merkel and Schumacher). Also I think in germany the gays have all the rights they need and there is not this zealos fight over gay marriage/adoption etc. that the US have for example. It's just that they may not call it "Ehe" (marriage) and can't adopt, which is good in my book.

You are right that there is just not that much public awareness over the inequality gay people are suffering under, but I take a different view if this is a good thing or not.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

GaussianCopula posted:

I should have read your title before your post.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

German gays, you have enough rights! Why do you want more? You want as much as a normal?? Uhg

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GaussianCopula posted:

Also I think in germany the gays have all the rights they need and there is not this zealos fight over gay marriage/adoption etc. that the US have for example. It's just that they may not call it "Ehe" (marriage) and can't adopt, which is good in my book.

If only you and your partner were biologically unable to have a child and then told by an uncaring state that you aren't permitted to adopt. :allears:

I had a longer post typed up but then I saw your redtext and just figured it'd be :effort:.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

If only you and your partner were biologically unable to have a child and then told by an uncaring state that you aren't permitted to adopt.

Strictly speaking the ratio behind adoption laws is for children to have parents and not for parents to have children, though.

If the current government keeps refusing to change the current adoption laws to allow for equal adoption rights, I fully expect the matter to come up in the constitutional court. And while not guaranteed, a verdict in favour of full equal adoption rights for civil unions seems likely. The limit for a new adoption law complying with the latest decision regarding step-children is June 30th. So I assume gay rights organizations are already starting to make preparations for another lawsuit, i.e. preparing some legal documents and looking for a willing couple.

As for civil unions being technically different from marriages, I stand by my previous opinion that opening marriage to same-sex couples would be unconstitutional. With the strict requirements for equal treatment of civil unions and marriage I don't think there is much drive for a constitutional change anytime soon. Especially not considering that acceptance of civil unions in the general population is high and colloquial language already tends to refer to them as marriages anyhow.

Randler fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 10, 2014

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

GaussianCopula posted:

Is your book Mein Kampf then?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Well...the copyright has expired, hasn't it?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well...the copyright has expired, hasn't it?

Not quite yet. May 1st 2015 (70 years after the author's death).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ArchangeI posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the copyright after that will devolve to the Bavarian government so as to still keep its distribution controlled to a degree?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the copyright after that will devolve to the Bavarian government so as to still keep its distribution controlled to a degree?

As far as I recall it, the copyright instantly went to the Bavarian state after Hitler's death, but works lose their copyright after 70 years (they actually upped the time because of pretty much this exact reason). There is no difference to, say, Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. Bavaria did try and get a commented version of Mein Kampf published before then, but the government withdrew recently.

Frankly, with the Internet being what it is, the whole idea is silly. Mein Kampf isn't going to turn anyone into a Nazi who doesn't already lean that way.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Drone posted:

The current copyright holder is bavaria and even though it expires next year, reproducing and selling it may be seen as Incitement to hatred (§ 130 StGB) and Dissemination of propaganda material of unconstitutional organisations (§ 86 StGB).

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ArchangeI posted:

No, the copyright ceases on 24:00 Decembre the 31th, 2015, making the work public domain starting January 1th, 2016. The seventy year period does not start on the day the author died but at the end of the year in which he died. (§ 69 UrhG)

Drone posted:

When the copyright ceases, there is no copyright that can "devolve" to the Bavarian government. They were, however, considering banning the distribution of Mein Kampf utilizing powers related to youth protection and public security. But those avenues were always open to them regardless of whether they held the copyright. (And as a matter of fact, there are some countries under whose copyright laws Bavaria does not hold the copyright or will still hold the copyright. The 2016 point only concerns German copyright.)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

ArchangeI posted:

Frankly, with the Internet being what it is, the whole idea is silly. Mein Kampf isn't going to turn anyone into a Nazi who doesn't already lean that way.

It's more likely that it'll prevent more people from turning into Nazis because Hitler couldn't write for poo poo.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nice how the CSU people are already freaking out because the European Commission dared to say that Germany cannot treat other EU citizens living in Germany worse than it's own citizens, one of the core principles of EU law.

The CSU was courting the fascists by making xenophobic statements about the alleged flood of moochers from poorer EU states abusing the German welfare systems.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Torrannor posted:

Nice how the CSU people are already freaking out because the European Commission dared to say that Germany cannot treat other EU citizens living in Germany worse than it's own citizens, one of the core principles of EU law.

The CSU was courting the fascists by making xenophobic statements about the alleged flood of moochers from poorer EU states abusing the German welfare systems.

Kind of ironic, considering that the CSU itself is nothing but a lobbyist party that exists to siphon federal money to Bavaria.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Torrannor posted:

Did the EU Commission really say that, though? (Link goes to the commission denying they said that.)

Also, the current ECJ case is about a union citizen who was denied unemployment benefits due to refusing to make an effort to get a job. This makes the issue less clear-cut, because the non-discrimination principles of European economic freedoms apply to people being part or at least intending to be part of the economy. It's not impossible that the ECJ will uphold the current German rules.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Baronjutter posted:

German gays, you have enough rights! Why do you want more? You want as much as a normal?? Uhg

Right, how could anyone even think of being treat as a normal human being, if you are not able to hate and switch your wife periodically.

CDU knows how to ignore human rights and principle of equality AND getting elected by the majority of the germans as well. Maybe the FDP should think of copy that idea. Oh, wait, copyright.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Nobnob posted:

CDU knows how to ignore human rights and principle of equality AND getting elected by the majority of the germans as well. Maybe the FDP should think of copy that idea. Oh, wait, copyright.

as if anyone in the CDU or FDP would care about plagiarism

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Randler posted:

Did the EU Commission really say that, though? (Link goes to the commission denying they said that.)

Also, the current ECJ case is about a union citizen who was denied unemployment benefits due to refusing to make an effort to get a job. This makes the issue less clear-cut, because the non-discrimination principles of European economic freedoms apply to people being part or at least intending to be part of the economy. It's not impossible that the ECJ will uphold the current German rules.

Its a case of trying to get around a restriction (i.e. "you dont ALG 2 if you never worked or intent to work") by debating what kind of payment it is. If it is social security, Germany can decide to not pay it to certain groups of union citizens. If it is a "beitragsunabhängige Geldleistung", like the Kindergeld (children's money) which is already paid to all union citizens in Germany, Germany would be forced by EU law to pay it to everyone.

My guess is that even should the ECJ decide that Germany has to pay it, either new national or european laws would quickly change it, because it would be very attractive for a lot of people to come to germany, just to get ALG2, which is about 391€ + rent per person. Because such a decission by the Court would boost anti-european parties like the AFD, there is probably a lot of pressure from behind the scenes to decide against it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of that football player coming out, there's another thing currently happening with regards to homosexuality: Baden-Württemberg plans to include bits about sexual diversity in their new school curriculum, people flip their poo poo and petition to sink it. Among their arguments you find all the old nuggets like "they're pushing it in our faces", "it's promoting an unhealthy lifestyle", "they're trying to turn our kids gay" etc. etc. As far as I can see, the original Arbeitspapier that caused all the hubbub is this one: https://www.kultusportal-bw.de/site...tprinzipien.pdf, and as you can see it's really just two or three bullet points at the end of each section about things to keep in mind. Not to mention that this is not even a finalised version of anything.

So yeah, even if it's not as visible as in some other countries, there still is a fair bit of homophobia bubbling just under the surface. Hell, just look at the petition's logo:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What a hideous font.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm attending different job schools (Berufsschule) as part of the apprenticeship i'm currently in and the first one had a whole bunch of disgusting bigots in it which came as quite the shock compared to my usual social circles. Choice quotes include "Ja, ich hab was gegen Schwule"/"Yes, i do dislike gays" and "Ich hasse Juden und Neger"/"I hate jews and niggers" both pretty casual and without any apparent awareness that is was something terrible. One guy even voiced the opinion that homosexuality criminalized again and another time i overheard an account of how they harrassed a tranwoman on the street.
Of course everyone considered themselves not racist and most didn't think those opinions are politically right/rechts.

So yeah, absolutely reprehensible opinions and attitudes still exist and not only in obvious neonazis. Apparently it's pretty easy to be completely isolated from it if you live in a city and have only progressive friends.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bistromatic posted:

Of course everyone considered themselves not racist and most didn't think those opinions are politically right/rechts.
How did they go about this? "I'm not racist, but I hate them niggers" doesn't really ... work, does it?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bistromatic posted:

So yeah, absolutely reprehensible opinions and attitudes still exist and not only in obvious neonazis. Apparently it's pretty easy to be completely isolated from it if you live in a city and have only progressive friends.

Way to live up to the stereotype of rural yokels getting dragged into the present kicking and screaming :thumbsup:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bistromatic posted:

I tend to agree on the latter part. Despite an awful lot of "No true leftist..." handwringing neither racism nor antisemitism are inherently right or left wing. Which area was that school in by the way?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Cingulate posted:

How did they go about this? "I'm not racist, but I hate them niggers" doesn't really ... work, does it?

It was pretty close to that. "I'm not racist" and "turks are more violent" were like two or three sentences apart in the most glaring example.

Randler posted:

I tend to agree on the latter part. Despite an awful lot of "No true leftist..." handwringing neither racism nor antisemitism are inherently right or left wing. Which area was that school in by the way?
I only recently learned about antisemitism in fringe left conspiracy circles, other than that i only associated it with actual nazis/neonazis. For things like immigrants and gay rights it always thought of it as the right half of the spectrum from CDU/CSU "less immigration" to NPD "Ausländer raus!".

The school was in Niedersachsen but it was people from pretty much the northern half of germany.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bistromatic posted:

It was pretty close to that. "I'm not racist" and "turks are more violent" were like two or three sentences apart in the most glaring example.

I only recently learned about antisemitism in fringe left conspiracy circles, other than that i only associated it with actual nazis/neonazis. For things like immigrants and gay rights it always thought of it as the right half of the spectrum from CDU/CSU "less immigration" to NPD "Ausländer raus!".

The school was in Niedersachsen but it was people from pretty much the northern half of germany.

Never underestimate the desire of desperate idiots to blame an outside group.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Each time I'm ranting about the 1% to my father he replies with: Yeah gently caress the jews.

So I can definitely see how leftism and anti-semitism go together.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 11, 2014

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Each time I'm ranting about the 1% to my father he replies with: Yeah gently caress the jews.

So I can definitely see how leftism and anti-semitism go together.

Well the quote describing anti-semitism as "the socialism of fools" didn't just appear out of thin air. Werner Sombart (best known for his work 'Why is there No Socialism in the United States') is an interesting example of a sociologist who made the journey from marxism to fascism.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
It has been my experience as well that rural regions manage to somehow breed some of the unenlightened, racist and homophobic idiots I have ever seen in many countries - exactly because they believe that such things do not exist in Germany.

Also, there is a good article about the AfD (in German though) on the FAZ page - of all places. The general result seems to be that it is just another try for white people to justify their racism/intolerance. If you somehow believe the AfD was about some economic issue, prepare to be througoutly disgusted. Oh it also concerns the gay
Enjoy.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...e-12747954.html

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Apparently having both male and female members of a familiy working poses some insurmountable issues for the upbringing of the children in the whole of society. This is a thing a major politician literally said. In this here Germany. I just cant,

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Boner Slam posted:

Apparently having both male and female members of a familiy working poses some insurmountable issues for the upbringing of the children in the whole of society. This is a thing a major politician literally said. In this here Germany. I just cant,

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Boner Slam posted:

I agree with this politician. A single salary ought to be enough to provide for a whole family.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Boner Slam posted:

It has been my experience as well that rural regions manage to somehow breed some of the unenlightened, racist and homophobic idiots I have ever seen in many countries - exactly because they believe that such things do not exist in Germany.

Unenlightened, racist and homophobic idiots are bred in cities too, you know. It's more that often people lacking these traits tend to run away from rural areas so there is a bit of an imbalance.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I agree with this politician. A single salary ought to be enough to provide for a whole family.

Union: German work hast to be cheap! Women raising children while having a job are the devil! Why is nobody getting kids anymore? :downs:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

"Bernd Lucke, paragon of honesty posted:

We are not a populist party,[...]

You can't even make this up.

Well, I suppose the AfD has pretty much given up on trying portray themselves as the FDP 2.0 and instead goes for doubling down on the neocon-rhetoric. Hopefully they'll just slink back into obscurity now, though they might have one last huzzah during the EU elections.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boner Slam posted:

Also, there is a good article about the AfD (in German though) on the FAZ page - of all places. The general result seems to be that it is just another try for white people to justify their racism/intolerance. If you somehow believe the AfD was about some economic issue, prepare to be througoutly disgusted. Oh it also concerns the gay
Enjoy.
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...e-12747954.html
Call me naive, but what the hell is this supposed to mean:

quote:

Lucke sagt, er erkenne im Fall von Thomas Hitzlsperger keinen besonderen Mut mehr darin, sich zu seiner sexuellen Orientierung zu bekennen, und blickt in die Fernsehkameras vor ihm. Schließlich habe Berlins regierender Bürgermeister Wowereit (SPD) bereits vor zwölf Jahren sein Coming-out gehabt. Er wolle Hitzlsperger ja nicht kritisieren. Es sei aber falsch gewesen, dass der ehemalige Fußball-Nationalspieler - der Homophobie kritisiert hatte - nicht die eigentlichen Defizite der Gesellschaft benannt habe. „Ich hätte es gut gefunden, wenn Herr Hitzlsperger das Bekenntnis zu seiner Homosexualität mit einem Bekenntnis verbunden hätte, dass Ehe und Familie für unsere Gesellschaft konstitutiv sind.“
What does he want somebody coming out to say? "Hey guys, I'm sorry, but I'm gay, and I'm sorry for being gay because I know how important it is to have a family and make babies and I know every gay man takes away from the very concept of family"?
I'm not even trying to make fun of him or whatever, I just can't wrap my head around it. I think there's some AfD people in here, what the hell is this guy on about?

quote:

Der frühere Landesvorsitzende Volker Bartz hatte zugegeben, sich zu Unrecht als „Prof. Dr.“ bezeichnet zu haben. Zudem seien die entsprechenden Urkunden der Universitäten Warschau und Sofia, die er dem Bundesvorstand vorgelegt hatte, gefälscht. Auch der Fall des seines Amtes enthobenen Landesschatzmeisters Peter Ziemann wird diskutiert, dessen „verfassungswidrige“ (Lucke) Wortbeiträge in Internetforen für einen Aufschrei in der Partei, aber auch für Sympathiebekundungen gesorgt hatten. Entsprechend nervös hatten die AfD-Kreissprecher auf einer Versammlung am Vorabend des Parteitages schon erwogen, die Presse vom Parteitag auszuschließen, um wirren Köpfen innerhalb der Partei kein Forum zu bieten. Einen Tag später dringen die Wortbeiträge, wie in der Partei üblich, dennoch an die Presse.
Man dürfe Ziemann nicht an seinen Worten, sondern müsse ihn seinen Taten messen, sagt ein anderes Mitglied. Ein Mann sagt, er sei „beschämt“ über den Umgang mit Ziemann, wer ohne Sünde sei, solle den ersten Stein werfen. Ob es solche Äußerungen waren, die Journalisten nicht hören sollten, bleibt unklar. Weitere Querelen werden auf der Geheimsitzung bekannt. So hatte Bartz, bevor er am Samstag seinen Parteiaustritt bekanntgab, am 14. Dezember den Ordner mit sämtlichen Abrechnungsunterlagen des Landesverbandes an die Staatsanwaltschaft übergeben, mit der Bitte um „Überprüfung“. Bartz hatte dem früheren Landesvorstand vor seiner Amtsenthebung die Unterschlagung von rund 6000 Euro vorgeworfen. Nun sei der Landesverband, was die Buchhaltung angehe, „vollkommen handlungsunfähig“, sagt ein Mitglied. Die Erstellung eines Rechenschaftsberichts, wie im Parteiengesetz vorgesehen, sei unmöglich.
I must admit to taking some guilty pleasure in watching another fringe-right party self destruct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Unterschlagung of 6.000 Euro?

Even a small time AStA is able to embezzle amounts in the middle to high five digits. How am I supposed to take your economic agenda seriously if you are not even able to succeed at entry-level white collar crime? :colbert: