Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Toady posted:

I agree with Chris Crawford's distinction that a game is a goal-oriented activity with active agents that can interfere with each other. It doesn't make sense to me to classify chess or poker as a toy.

And yet a chess set or deck of cards (particularly novelty ones) is more easily thought of as a toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Agreed. Crawford's definition states that a toy becomes a game element when rules are created for it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Are we really getting to the point where people are having to define what a "toy" is? Let's drop this immensely dumb discussion and stop microanalyzing things that don't need analysis. We all play video games and are huge nerds and losers, that's all that needs to be said.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It was just a harmless back and forth to me. There's a bigger context involving Nintendo's image of itself as a toymaker and what that means for their approach to modern services.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Are we really getting to the point where people are having to define what a "toy" is? Let's drop this immensely dumb discussion and stop microanalyzing things that don't need analysis. We all play video games and are huge nerds and losers, that's all that needs to be said.

I think there is value in analyzing whether nintendo's failures are just incompetence or whether there's some kind of management philosophy they have that has led to it. It's not super serious but I think it's interesting.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

He's right that game theory nonsense is boring poo poo. To me, it was a mini-conversation branching from the "games are just toys" statement, which has context in this thread since people have complained about Nintendo's anachronistic handling of the Wii U, as if they still view themselves as a novelty toymaker in an industry that doesn't see itself that way.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Aren't there two other seasons, or did kindergarten lie to me?

The fact that they didn't attach a season implies to me that it'll be the last season, especially since, when Nintendo's involved, "Spring" probably means Mario Kart will be out in May or June. Unless Iwata pulls a "Super Smash Brothers 4 Wii U and Nintendo 3DS will be available at the end of the conference" speech at E3 and makes everyone collectively facepalm.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

icantfindaname posted:

I think there is value in analyzing whether nintendo's failures are just incompetence or whether there's some kind of management philosophy they have that has led to it. It's not super serious but I think it's interesting.

You can do that without getting super granular and delving into a semantics game. I saw the potential of the conversation droning into a snoozefest of a game of "what do we think this word means" and wanted to divert it to something more productive is all. Honestly I think reading the latest Emily Rogers piece about the Gamecube (it's literally 24k words long) will give you a fantadtic insight into Nintendo's thought process at a managerial, employee and partner level.

Toady posted:

He's right that game theory nonsense is boring poo poo. To me, it was a mini-conversation branching from the "games are just toys" statement, which has context in this thread since people have complained about Nintendo's anachronistic handling of the Wii U, as if they still view themselves as a novelty toymaker in an industry that doesn't see itself that way.

I feel "toys" is a weird term to use when referring to something that has a main purpose to entertain. Yeah toys can entertain too but defining something as a toy carries its own weird stigma and connotations.

Agh dammit you're luring me into this word trap drat you.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Trap sprung!

Edit: It's really a debate over what ImpAtom touched on earlier and what you mentioned, which is the general attitude associated with that connotation. Games outsell Hollywood and are a primary source of entertainment, so I wonder if Nintendo believes games are anything more than toys.

Toady fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 11, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Toady posted:

Trap sprung!

Edit: It's really a debate over what ImpAtom touched on earlier and what you mentioned, which is the general attitude associated with that connotation. Games outsell Hollywood and are a primary source of entertainment, so I wonder if Nintendo believes games are anything more than toys.

Oh they absolutely do, to a point where it seems they hope their games transcend entertainment and translate into unadulterated fun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Oh they absolutely do, to a point where it seems they hope their games transcend entertainment and translate into unadulterated fun.

That's a pretty good article. It even showed that even back then NOA knew what to do to try and save the gamecube but their hands were tied by NOJ not understanding America, and they couldn't defy NOJ.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
An article's just popped up on Eurogamer about an unnamed British devco's problems developing for the Wii U (up to launch). Highlights include:

- specs that appeared poor on paper that weren't sufficiently clarified
- difficulty with a simple "Hello World" programme, difficult to compile code
- communication problems with Japan, which involved e-mails going through a translator to the Japanese developers, and then back again through a translator
- a complete lack of understanding for the online infrastructure at Nintendo, with senior bodies having not much knowledge of what PSN or XBLA was like

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I've always viewed Nintendo games as filling this weird, creative nitch that MS, Sony, and PC developers never bothered touching. Games that are targeted more towards children and teens, but still fun for adults. They incorporate really vibrant color palates and simple, silly but likeable characters. They are easy to pickup, easy to play, and tell a very straightforward good guy vs. bad guy narrative that's likable and completely cohesive to play through (in comparison to something like Bioshock jammed full of obscure references, and social commentary).

The thing is, indie devs have caught on to this, and both MS/Sony/PC indie devs are really beginning to push out titles similar in structure. Their only issue is that they are Live/PS+ arcade titles that are only 3-5 hours long and for the most part are one time, no sequel games. Meanwhile, Nintendo doesn't know what the gently caress to do in response, and is just falling back to their old faithful selection of Mario/Smash Bros/Mario Cart/Metroid/whatever IPs.

I'm just curious as to how long Nintendo can last by just pushing forward reiterations of old IPs. When was the last time Nintendo actually attempted to try a game based around a new cast of characters in a new universe? The only example I can think of is Jet Force Gemini which was an N64 title. Since then, it has just been rehash after rehash while indie studios have been partially filling in the gap with simple, fun, and interesting games with the downside of low production values due to budget.

Nintendo is really in trouble if they just keep stagnating instead of innovating at this point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Avalanche posted:

I'm just curious as to how long Nintendo can last by just pushing forward reiterations of old IPs. When was the last time Nintendo actually attempted to try a game based around a new cast of characters in a new universe? The only example I can think of is Jet Force Gemini which was an N64 title. Since then, it has just been rehash after rehash while indie studios have been partially filling in the gap with simple, fun, and interesting games with the downside of low production values due to budget.

Nintendo is really in trouble if they just keep stagnating instead of innovating at this point.

Pikmin (they're up to 3 now)
Chibi-Robo (new camera-based gimmick game just came out for 3DS)
Drill Dozer
HarmoKnight
Pushmo/Crashmo
Sakura Samurai

That's off the top of my head from Gamecube era onward, limited to things that can unarguably be considered "Nintendo" (for example Eternal Darkness was published by Nintendo and Nintendo-exclusive (as its sequel was to be if the Kickstarter hadn't been a pile of failure upon failure) but Silicon Knights did other games for other platforms). All of them have their own characters and universe that could allow for sequels later.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Chocolate Teapot posted:

An article's just popped up on Eurogamer about an unnamed British devco's problems developing for the Wii U (up to launch).

Great article thanks for sharing. It seems that Nintendo haven't got the resources to develop the platform / SDK up to the comparatively polished level of it's competitors..
That and the hardware is relatively weak.. If this is what third party teams have to go through well.. why should they bother at this point?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Animal Crossing is another example of a good IP Nintendo developed during the GC days.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Morby posted:

Animal Crossing is another example of a good IP Nintendo developed during the GC days.

N64 actually.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

NeilPerry posted:

N64 actually.

Along with other wacky junk like Doshin the Giant!

His point still stands, though. People just like to ignore all the new IPs Nintendo pumps out every generation for reasons I don't totally understand.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

The Timely Howard posted:

Along with other wacky junk like Doshin the Giant!

His point still stands, though. People just like to ignore all the new IPs Nintendo pumps out every generation for reasons I don't totally understand.

They've been doing it since the Gamecube days. I remember a detailed post on Wii60 back in the day with all the exclusive and really good stuff that was on the Gamecube in response to 'When's the last time Nintendo consoles had new franchises?'. It's an image that is untrue but is somehow inextricably bound to them.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

NeilPerry posted:

N64 actually.

I didn't realize Animal Crossing was on N64! Add this to the list of reasons why I regret giving away my N64 in my foolish youth.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
There's good IP that's gone abandoned that they could pick up as well, like Skies of Arcadia or Grandia.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Morby posted:

I didn't realize Animal Crossing was on N64! Add this to the list of reasons why I regret giving away my N64 in my foolish youth.

...Only in Japan, though. It was ported to Gamecube for American and European release.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NeilPerry posted:

They've been doing it since the Gamecube days. I remember a detailed post on Wii60 back in the day with all the exclusive and really good stuff that was on the Gamecube in response to 'When's the last time Nintendo consoles had new franchises?'. It's an image that is untrue but is somehow inextricably bound to them.

It's mostly because none of their franchises have reached to Mario or Zelda levels. During the SNES era stuff like F-Zero and Starfox were promoted along side their other titles, which was why they're still featured in crossover games. But then a good portion of their franchises were shelved and you wound up getting stuff that didn't appeal to people.

da anime bulldog posted:

There's good IP that's gone abandoned that they could pick up as well, like Skies of Arcadia or Grandia.

Skies of Arcadia belongs to Atlus now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

da anime bulldog posted:

Neither of those is a Nintendo IP. They're Sega and Game Arts, respectively.

NeilPerry posted:

There's an update to that image. Not everything on it is actually made by Nintendo (Some of it is just published by them), and it's missing a few things, and some of them are just spinoffs and not actually new IPs. Still though.

(Why isn't Endless Ocean on there, and where's my Endless Ocean U at, Nintendo?)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dexie posted:

(Why isn't Endless Ocean on there, and where's my Endless Ocean U at, Nintendo?)

Because Endless Ocean started on the playstation as Everblue.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's mostly because none of their franchises have reached to Mario or Zelda levels. During the SNES era stuff like F-Zero and Starfox were promoted along side their other titles, which was why they're still featured in crossover games. But then a good portion of their franchises were shelved and you wound up getting stuff that didn't appeal to people.

This is basically the problem. During the same time ("since 2001" according to the excessive infograph from Dexie above), Sony and Microsoft (and many third parties) have aggressively pushed all sorts of new IPs, which also had big advertising pushes to help them become the monsters that they are today. Even some brand new IPs which have sold well in the last generation may now be abandoned (like God of War or Gears of War) due to a decline in sales, but probably not without some other new IP(s) aggressively pushed to take the reins.

Or you talk about Geist or Xenoblade Chronicles.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chocolate Teapot posted:

This is basically the problem. During the same time ("since 2001" according to the excessive infograph from Dexie above), Sony and Microsoft (and many third parties) have aggressively pushed all sorts of new IPs, which also had big advertising pushes to help them become the monsters that they are today. Even some brand new IPs which have sold well in the last generation may now be abandoned (like God of War or Gears of War) due to a decline in sales, but probably not without some other new IP(s) aggressively pushed to take the reins.

Or you talk about Geist or Xenoblade Chronicles.

Fire Emblem has probably been more promoted overall than Xenoblade. But FE started way back on the SNES and only came to America on the GBA.

Hell most people don't even know what Xenoblade is because Gamestop was the only place that sold it in America.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Fire Emblem actually started out on the NES. Also I think Xenoblade sold pretty well considering it was an exclusive but there's no way to know the numbers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Fire Emblem actually started out on the NES. Also I think Xenoblade sold pretty well considering it was an exclusive but there's no way to know the numbers.

Yeah I hope that Xenoblade did well because they're taking their sweet time with X and it's probably one of the few really worthwhile games on the Wii.

I could live with Xenoblade getting a dozen or so installments. But we're not even up to the second one if/when it comes out.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Avalanche posted:

Not every game is going to be a Mario or Zelda. I personally didn't realize that Pushmo was a 1st party game for quite some time

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Avalanche posted:

I've always viewed Nintendo games as filling this weird, creative nitch that MS, Sony, and PC developers never bothered touching. Games that are targeted more towards children and teens, but still fun for adults. They incorporate really vibrant color palates and simple, silly but likeable characters. They are easy to pickup, easy to play, and tell a very straightforward good guy vs. bad guy narrative that's likable and completely cohesive to play through (in comparison to something like Bioshock jammed full of obscure references, and social commentary).
Honestly I think Media Molecule is poised to give Nintendo a run for their money in this department. Little Big Planet and Tearaway are exactly the kind of IP we ought to be seeing from Nintendo. If LBP had been developed for a Nintendo system Miyamoto would have stepped in and replaced Sackboy with different colored Toads, removed the level editor because they want to control the quality of levels and nixed online multiplayer with some bullshit excuse about how the game should be enjoyed by people in the same room.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
IIRC, part of what helped pick up Fire Emblem in terms of popularity was its inclusion in Smash Brothers, same deal for stuff like Kid Icarus.

But yeah, even when Nintendo does develop new IPs, it tends to go with the model of 'see if it does well enough minimally, then push it if it gets some popularity anyway'. They push Mario because they know it already sells, Wonderful 101 got little to no advertising outside of a Nintendo Direct.

On a minor note though, Glory of Heracles isn't actually a new IP - it was just the first of its series (by the same name) to actually see a release outside of Japan.

Also got little to no advertising, just guess how well it did.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Honestly I think Media Molecule is poised to give Nintendo a run for their money in this department. Little Big Planet and Tearaway are exactly the kind of IP we ought to be seeing from Nintendo. If LBP had been developed for a Nintendo system Miyamoto would have stepped in and replaced Sackboy with different colored Toads, removed the level editor because they want to control the quality of levels and nixed online multiplayer with some bullshit excuse about how the game should be enjoyed by people in the same room.

I really hope the next LBP gets the drat platforming physics right. 2 was a step up from the abysmal physics of the first game, but it's still a loving far cry from Rayman Legends or NSMBU.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro Nut posted:

On a minor note though, Glory of Heracles isn't actually a new IP - it was just the first of its series (by the same name) to actually see a release outside of Japan.

Also got little to no advertising, just guess how well it did.

To be fair, I don't know if that's a title that should have got a lot of advertising.

Starfy on the other hand

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

deadwing posted:

I really hope the next LBP gets the drat platforming physics right. 2 was a step up from the abysmal physics of the first game, but it's still a loving far cry from Rayman Legends or NSMBU.

The platforming in Tearaway is perfectly fine, although it is a 3D game rather than a 2D one. I've aced all the levels LBP 1, 2, PSP, and Vita, but I think the issue with the platforming comes from the fact that Sackboy has to act like a physics object, since the entire world is driven by a physics engine. Either that, or they didn't want to change how it controls in the sequel so that user-made levels from the first game would still play the same.

There are tons of user-made levels that completely overhaul the game, including the art style, gameplay mechanics, and especially the platforming, so they could possibly improve it for the next game if it's not meant to be backwards compatible. I think a lot of people's issues with the game would be diminished if Sackboy could jump higher, or pull himself up from ledges.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

The platforming in Tearaway is perfectly fine, although it is a 3D game rather than a 2D one. I've aced all the levels LBP 1, 2, PSP, and Vita, but I think the issue with the platforming comes from the fact that Sackboy has to act like a physics object, since the entire world is driven by a physics engine. Either that, or they didn't want to change how it controls in the sequel so that user-made levels from the first game would still play the same.

There are tons of user-made levels that completely overhaul the game, including the art style, gameplay mechanics, and especially the platforming, so they could possibly improve it for the next game if it's not meant to be backwards compatible. I think a lot of people's issues with the game would be diminished if Sackboy could jump higher, or pull himself up from ledges.

I'd be happy if they just included an Incredible Machine mode or something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Chocolate Teapot posted:

An article's just popped up on Eurogamer about an unnamed British devco's problems developing for the Wii U (up to launch). Highlights include:

- specs that appeared poor on paper that weren't sufficiently clarified
- difficulty with a simple "Hello World" programme, difficult to compile code
- communication problems with Japan, which involved e-mails going through a translator to the Japanese developers, and then back again through a translator
- a complete lack of understanding for the online infrastructure at Nintendo, with senior bodies having not much knowledge of what PSN or XBLA was like

This was really interesting and explains the quiet drop in third-party support soon after the Wii U came out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd be happy if they just included an Incredible Machine mode or something.

I've seen people make Rube Goldberg stages, with custom camera angles and sound effects, but making it a gameplay mode like Crayon Physics would be amazing. The game doesn't let you create objects while you're playing a stage, only put stickers on things, so I don't think it could be done in a user-made stage.

Toady posted:

This was really interesting and explains the quiet drop in third-party support soon after the Wii U came out.

Yeah, it pretty much confirms Nintendo's treatment of third party developers and the issues they've been having with the system.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 11, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

Because Endless Ocean started on the playstation as Everblue.

Xenoblade started as Xenosaga/Xenogears if you want to get down to it.

Bayo 2 should probably be on that list because its a Nintendo IP now, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

hubris.height posted:

Bayo 2 should probably be on that list because its a Nintendo IP now, isn't it?

No. They're publishing the game but I don't think they actually got the IP rights.

e: Yeah just double checked, SEGA still owns Bayonetta. Nintendo does own the W101 IP though. But I doubt they'll be doing much more with that :(

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2014

• Locked thread