Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Only if you have a Mac, apparently.

It's not perfect, but Acronis True Image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Mithra6 posted:

It's not perfect, but Acronis True Image.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

So, I'm planning on going from a guitar head into a DI and splitting it so that the signal goes both to a stack of speakers and my PreSonus AudioBox interface line/mic in. Is this unwise? Should I use the instrument/mic in? Help me out here, I don't want to gently caress anything up.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

So, I'm planning on going from a guitar head into a DI and splitting it so that the signal goes both to a stack of speakers and my PreSonus AudioBox interface line/mic in. Is this unwise? Should I use the instrument/mic in? Help me out here, I don't want to gently caress anything up.

The instrument in on your interface is a DI in itself. You don't go from a head to a DI, you go from a DI to a head. You can go guitar->DI THRU->Amp and DI OUT->mic level input without needing to use the inst. level input.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

strangemusic posted:

The instrument in on your interface is a DI in itself. You don't go from a head to a DI, you go from a DI to a head. You can go guitar->DI THRU->Amp and DI OUT->mic level input without needing to use the inst. level input.

But I want the processing of the amp. It's a shoegaze track, and what I'm after is getting the same sound going into the recording as I'm hearing through my stack.

e: Pictures

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 8, 2014

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever
Does anyone know whether there is any weird thing I should know about the difference between a matched pair of AKG C451s and a matched pair of Shure KSM141s? Their spec sheets seem pretty comparable, but that isn't real life. Am I making a mistake thinking of using either as drum overheads? TIA.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

But I want the processing of the amp. It's a shoegaze track, and what I'm after is getting the same sound going into the recording as I'm hearing through my stack.

e: Pictures

That should work as long as the DI is designed to handle speaker sources. You'll want to run the output of the DI box into a microphone input.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Bill Posters posted:

That should work as long as the DI is designed to handle speaker sources. You'll want to run the output of the DI box into a microphone input.

Nice, thanks very much for that advice, Mister Bill Posters. I'm now trying to find a junction box DI that does this sort of thing for sale online.

PS. I hope you don't get prosecuted!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Nice, thanks very much for that advice, Mister Bill Posters. I'm now trying to find a junction box DI that does this sort of thing for sale online.

PS. I hope you don't get prosecuted!

I'm gonna say the DI probably DOESN'T handle the power load from the speaker out. Try the effects loop instead.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

I'm gonna say the DI probably DOESN'T handle the power load from the speaker out. Try the effects loop instead.

There are certain types of guitar-specific DI boxes that do. The Palmer PDI09, IIRC. Unfortunately the FX jacks on the back of the amp aren't an FX loop, but two controls for FX footswitches, so that's out of the question.

For recording tonight, I just miced up the cabinet. It was alright, but there was a lot of feedback, and I had to use the normal DI box I had to attenuate my guitar into the amp. Now I see where humbuckers come in real handy.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Oh. I get it.

I do know about the Radial JDX Reactor, that might be something that helps in this situation.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Even if the DI box is specifically for guitars so it doesn't fry the head because of load/impedance issues, DI distorted guitar usually sounds like rear end because a lot of the pleasing sound of distortion is from speaker interaction. DI distortion can sound really weird and won't sound like what you're "hearing through your stack" unfortunately in my experience, it tends to sound really "small".

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

himajinga posted:

Even if the DI box is specifically for guitars so it doesn't fry the head because of load/impedance issues, DI distorted guitar usually sounds like rear end because a lot of the pleasing sound of distortion is from speaker interaction. DI distortion can sound really weird and won't sound like what you're "hearing through your stack" unfortunately in my experience, it tends to sound really "small".

Okay. So when I was recording last night, I had heaps of hum on the track. How does one go about getting rid of that?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Currently in the market for either "moderately" or "less moderately" priced matched pair overhead mics for drum recording and would like some suggestions if you folk have any. Been using a borrowed pair of Rode NT5's and could take 'em or leave 'em soooo... what have you guys been using lately?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Duke Chin posted:

Currently in the market for either "moderately" or "less moderately" priced matched pair overhead mics for drum recording and would like some suggestions if you folk have any. Been using a borrowed pair of Rode NT5's and could take 'em or leave 'em soooo... what have you guys been using lately?

For something more modern sounding I use a pair of Shure SM81s. They sound super clean and clear and have great imaging. For a more vintagy vibe I use a pair of Cascade Fatheads w/ Lundahl transformers.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Michael Joly Engineering just released a capsule replacement mod for the NT5 that two solid engineers I have worked with recently/extensively received and self-installed last week. It may be a thing to consider - these guys are going to post clips soon, I will let you know when they do.

I also got myself an MJE mod Rode NT1A and have been happy with it - he does good work.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Okay. So when I was recording last night, I had heaps of hum on the track. How does one go about getting rid of that?

Hum has lots of potential causes, but I'm willing to bet that it's related to the unusual signal chain you have and a lot of wattage going places that aren't designed for it or shielded, hence EM interference in the signal. I can't help but think that if you have to line record this guitar rather than just use a mic (if you use an attenuator you can get good tone from most tube amps at bedroom volume) you may be better off line-recording through the effects loop and using a software cab sim like LeCab or even the free version of Amplitube (with the head simulator bypassed).

If the hum isn't too awful, you can remove it with noise suppressor plugins. Personally, I use Cockos ReaFir (available as a free .vst from the Reaper.fm website) in subtract mode, which analyses the EQ of a sample of hum and performs the opposite eq function. It's a brutally effective noise suppressor, but if the hum's really loud or has a wide EQ spread it'll hurt the tone of the result quite badly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

HollisBrown posted:

For a more vintagy vibe I use a pair of Cascade Fatheads w/ Lundahl transformers.
Checked out a bunch of HD vids on these last night... I'm still, still not sure how I feel about 'em. Curious but... :shrug:

strangemusic posted:

these guys are going to post clips soon, I will let you know when they do.
Yeah that'd be cool - I'm definitely curious but I'm also pretty burned out on the NT5's. :)

Also: got a person here in town selling a Royer R-101 for 575 and another guy selling 4 MD-421U MKII's at $275 a pop and, while not sure about the Royer, I'm slightly tempted on the Sennheisers as I've definitely been overdue for a tom mic upgrade. How are the R-101's though. I need a room mic in general but don't really know show about the 101's.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

How are the R-101's though. I need a room mic in general but don't really know show about the 101's.

It's not bad at all. Basically the same internals as the 121 but assembled overseas and in a clunkier-looking plastic shell. Sounds similar but not quite the same mojo... I would have to go do a shoot out to describe it with real accuracy but it's drat close. It worked really nicely for me as a room/front-of-kit mic in a smaller room. If you are familiar with how the 121 behaves (darker tone, full and clean), you won't be surprised by it.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 11, 2014

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Axeman Jim posted:

Hum has lots of potential causes, but I'm willing to bet that it's related to the unusual signal chain you have and a lot of wattage going places that aren't designed for it or shielded, hence EM interference in the signal. I can't help but think that if you have to line record this guitar rather than just use a mic (if you use an attenuator you can get good tone from most tube amps at bedroom volume) you may be better off line-recording through the effects loop and using a software cab sim like LeCab or even the free version of Amplitube (with the head simulator bypassed).

If the hum isn't too awful, you can remove it with noise suppressor plugins. Personally, I use Cockos ReaFir (available as a free .vst from the Reaper.fm website) in subtract mode, which analyses the EQ of a sample of hum and performs the opposite eq function. It's a brutally effective noise suppressor, but if the hum's really loud or has a wide EQ spread it'll hurt the tone of the result quite badly.

Never used an attenuator before and it looks like they vary *wildly* in price -- could you link to one similar to what you'd use for this, please?

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
The unhelpful answer is that it depends on what amp you're using. You'll need one that matches the amp's impedance requirements (many tube heads have switchable impedances, which is helpful as the higher-impedance attenuators tend to cost more). Some of the more pricey attenuators have tone shaping ability that lets you overcome the treble loss that attenuation can cause or even some cabinet emulation.

Good article here:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Quiet_Please_Attenuators_and_Their_Many_Uses

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I'm curious, are there any microphones that has the same versatility as the Shure SM57 but is cheaper than that? I'm finally planning on building my own studio this summer and I'd love to have a setup that consists of stuff that you usually don't find at any other recording studio. :)

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Greggster posted:

I'm curious, are there any microphones that has the same versatility as the Shure SM57 but is cheaper than that? I'm finally planning on building my own studio this summer and I'd love to have a setup that consists of stuff that you usually don't find at any other recording studio. :)

Try Audix.

Also: part of the appeal of a lot of studios is how you can look at a gear list, go "aha! SSL, 57, 1176, 414XLS, I know what's going to happen here sonically just by association." So be careful what you wish for!

That being said as far as esoteric gear I would love a Lightning Boy Rectified Leveler: I adore optical compression and the Rec is basically an LA2A on super steroids.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

strangemusic posted:

It's not bad at all. Basically the same internals as the 121 but assembled overseas and in a clunkier-looking plastic shell. Sounds similar but not quite the same mojo... I would have to go do a shoot out to describe it with real accuracy but it's drat close. It worked really nicely for me as a room/front-of-kit mic in a smaller room. If you are familiar with how the 121 behaves (darker tone, full and clean), you won't be surprised by it.

eeeeuuuuw plastic?!? :D Yeah I'm curious about it but I'm also SUPER wary to be buying a ribbon mic from craigslist for that much off. Just makes me wonder if they trashed the internals...

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
$575 is like $200 off the new price, so not really a "too good to be true" red flag. When I buy expensive gear off of Craigslist, I usually meet at my place or theirs and test it to make sure it passes a signal properly.

I did get burned once on a $300 EV RE-20, which passed my speaking voice just fine, but sounded like a elephant seal farting when I put it in front of a loud bass cab the following week. EV charges like $200 to replace the cartridge, so in hindsight I should have bought a brand new one and gone out to a nice sushi dinner with the extra money I would have saved.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

eeeeuuuuw plastic?!? :D Yeah I'm curious about it but I'm also SUPER wary to be buying a ribbon mic from craigslist for that much off. Just makes me wonder if they trashed the internals...

poo poo, I was mistaken. It's totally not a plastic shell AFAIK. Just chunkier and black.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Has anyone come across Mac drivers (I'm on 10.6.8) for an original MBox? My MOTU is having firewire problems, but I've still got an old first-gen MBox laying around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was directed over here from the Software/Hardware thread... sorry if it's not the right place!

At my work we have two full AVID suites and then a bunch of leftover hardware from consolidating some of our satellite offices a few years ago. We've decided to cobble those leftover parts into a smaller editing suite. We have pretty much all the pieces we need, a decent PC, monitors, etc and some small mackie boards and mics for simple sound recording.

The one thing we need is some sort of PC connectable XLR breakout box and good sound card. We need 2 (stereo) in and 2 (stereo) out. That's pretty much the only requirement.

It'll be a Windows 7/8 PC using Premiere Pro CC.

Thanks for any suggestions!

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

sether01 posted:

Do the 3.0 drivers work on windows 7? I got a blackjack for my dad 2 years ago for his birthday and the drivers were poo poo and crashed constantly. It took Mackie like 9 months to update them to 2.1 and they still didn't loving work on windows 7. That was a about a year ago. Worst 150$ I spent, since it was useless and wouldn't work for longer then 40 minutes without crashing. They even closed their forums because so many people were calling them out on their lovely drivers.

-edit: If I seem mad it's because I took your recommendation back then for getting a blackjack, then realized later on, after I already purchased it for him, that you were using a Mac. I should have payed more attention, and read other sources. For anyone using windows, stay the gently caress away from the blackjack, they mostly don't work at all on windows. IOW, gently caress MACKIE :)
-edit 2 : Still love my mackie 1604 VLZ from the early 2000's

I'm not sure what to tell you, the Blackjack works fine both on my mac and my virtual machine running win7. Are you running 64 bit? I remember having terrible luck with 64 bit windows and audio in general, but that would have been in 2007 before I made the switch.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

ashgromnies posted:

Awesome! That was the interpretation I had taken from reading the descriptions on their site. Good to know you get discrete channels, I may have to get one then.

Edit: actually you're referring to something different from me, I think I'm right about their digital mixers.

Compare http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1620i/ to http://www.mackie.com/products/onyx1640i/

16x2 FireWire routing, including aux sends and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels
Vs
Full 16x16 FireWire channel streaming for ultimate DAW integration

Edit 2: it actually looks like you can receive 16 channels but only send 2 with the cheaper mixers. With the most expensive, you can send 16 channels to the mixer and get an additional post-mixer output, so you can mix 16 channels of your digital stuff via the analog mixing board.

Yes if you're referring to the mixers, only the 1640i has 16 channels of output, the rest are just 2 output channels. I know some people like mixing down on an analog console but I've never thought that using a Mackie Onyx mixer was the way to do this.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

DawntoDust posted:

Does anyone know whether there is any weird thing I should know about the difference between a matched pair of AKG C451s and a matched pair of Shure KSM141s? Their spec sheets seem pretty comparable, but that isn't real life. Am I making a mistake thinking of using either as drum overheads? TIA.

Fun fact: Shure manufactures their mics to such strict standards and tolerances that you can take any pair of KSM141s and they are a matched pair. Shure never even uses the phrase "matched pair". You can even do this with an SM58, or any other mic that they make.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

What is ML's/RivensBitch's sage wisdom on iso cabs? I've got to deal with ~*~apartment living~*~ for the forseeable future, and I'd like to get one for strictly recording purposes. Most of the reviews online say they're either a godsend for apartment scum like me, or the tone they produce is too boxy and requires equalization to sound normal.

marb
Oct 21, 2010
I have a chance to get a shure pg81 for a pretty good price. I understand it is intended for recording acoustic instruments, which is cool cause I am primarily a guitarists, but what makes it inappropriate for vocals? How bad would the results be if I just recorded myself singing with it, versus say an sm58?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

marb posted:

I have a chance to get a shure pg81 for a pretty good price. I understand it is intended for recording acoustic instruments, which is cool cause I am primarily a guitarists, but what makes it inappropriate for vocals? How bad would the results be if I just recorded myself singing with it, versus say an sm58?

I've never used the PG81 but I bought a PG58 thinking it'd be good for vocals and I dislike it -- it's "crunchy" and dark sounding; my SM57 sounds much better for vocals. Turns out that I didn't do my research fully and the PG line is the low-end line of mics from Shure. Supposedly the Beta series are nicer than the SM series.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I just started playing guitar in december after I received a rondo guitar and rocksmith for christmas. I've been practicing every day except for one since then. I've been following the lessons on justinguitar including picking a song from the lessons to play and recording it via my cell phone. At first I didn't have an amp and was trying to use the amp emulation in rocksmith to produce enough volume however, this didn't work very well and all you could hear was the pick hitting the strings.

I bought a line6 spider IV 15 last week thinking I just needed a bit more volume and a closer speaker. However, the problem still remains when recording myself all I can really hear is the pick slapping the strings which makes for a really undesirable noise.

I've tried searching around for a simple two channel usb audio controller (one for vox, the other for guitar) but haven't found much luck in finding one that doesn't have a ton of features I wouldn't use (and therefore more expensive than I'd like it to be).

I see people recording themselves playing on webcams all the time and they don't have this issue, I can't imagine what the difference is between the two. If anything since the phone is closer I'd expect it to sound better. Anyone have any suggestions?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

jiffypop45 posted:

I just started playing guitar in december after I received a rondo guitar and rocksmith for christmas. I've been practicing every day except for one since then. I've been following the lessons on justinguitar including picking a song from the lessons to play and recording it via my cell phone. At first I didn't have an amp and was trying to use the amp emulation in rocksmith to produce enough volume however, this didn't work very well and all you could hear was the pick hitting the strings.

I bought a line6 spider IV 15 last week thinking I just needed a bit more volume and a closer speaker. However, the problem still remains when recording myself all I can really hear is the pick slapping the strings which makes for a really undesirable noise.

I've tried searching around for a simple two channel usb audio controller (one for vox, the other for guitar) but haven't found much luck in finding one that doesn't have a ton of features I wouldn't use (and therefore more expensive than I'd like it to be).

I see people recording themselves playing on webcams all the time and they don't have this issue, I can't imagine what the difference is between the two. If anything since the phone is closer I'd expect it to sound better. Anyone have any suggestions?

If the volume on your amp is low and you're sitting closer to your phone than your amp is, you're going to pick up the sounds of your guitar more clearly than your amplifier. Try recording it with your amp cranked and see if the problem still persists.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

If the volume on your amp is low and you're sitting closer to your phone than your amp is, you're going to pick up the sounds of your guitar more clearly than your amplifier. Try recording it with your amp cranked and see if the problem still persists.

Ill try that. Though then I am going to be screaming to sing over it I feel. :black101:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Here's something fun:

Been beating my head against a wall for DAYS trying to figure out why ProTools 11 has decided to not open for me anymore, starts loading plugins and crashes, every time.

So, dump all the plugins and try, right?
Nope, nothing.

Dust ProTools, reinstall.
Nope, nothing.

Been driving me NUTS, to the point of near-tears in frustration, tried a new user account, dusted a ton of preferences, everything.

Finally found a reference to Razer's mouse driver software causing a conflict somewhere online, removed the software, voila.
So, just in case you get bored and install your video game crap on your recording machine and have issues, there y'go.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

iostream.h posted:

Here's something fun:

Been beating my head against a wall for DAYS trying to figure out why ProTools 11 has decided to not open for me anymore, starts loading plugins and crashes, every time.

So, dump all the plugins and try, right?
Nope, nothing.

Dust ProTools, reinstall.
Nope, nothing.

Been driving me NUTS, to the point of near-tears in frustration, tried a new user account, dusted a ton of preferences, everything.

Finally found a reference to Razer's mouse driver software causing a conflict somewhere online, removed the software, voila.
So, just in case you get bored and install your video game crap on your recording machine and have issues, there y'go.

I had this exact same issue the day before a project was due. I have never been more frustrated (or relieved when I figured it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Does someone have some suggestions for a good 'room recording' mic?

I personally dig recording all of our practices, but the guys don't so much dig the setup time, and I don't horribly blame them, we're pretty tight, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist and listening to the recordings after the beer/excitement have worn off a bit are a really good way of isolating issues and weak spots. I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir a bit here.

Anyway, we have a decent-ish mix during practice, good volume levels and a nice sized location so if there were a couple of good mice I could throw up on stands in the center of the room and throw them into my interface, that'd be awesome.

My setup's pretty flexible, my mobile rack has a MOTU 828mkII with 2 XLR ins on the front (with really good pre's) that goes into my MBPr which has a dedicated position in a spot on top of my rack case (pretty swank, SKB has a 2u hard case with a padded/fur lined laptop spot with a slot for cables to run through so you simply plug in power, plug in mics, lift the lid to the laptop and rock and roll) so if there exists a good room mic I think that'd be a perfect solution.

We've got 2 guitarists, each of us playing through 50w/100w heads, into 4x12 and 2x12 respectively, a bass player with something loud, singer and bass into the PA, drums are not mic'd. I don't mind investing in a couple of boom stands if that's a better option so I could swing them in from above if that's a better option for me, just let me know what I should do!