Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
How would I go about finding the correct value to use to console-advance a modded-in quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there a UI mod that just skips the PipBoy altogether in favor of just drawing the menu directly on the screen like SkyUI?

Something like this?

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45344/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a way to get Unified HUD project working with Mod Organizer? I really like being able to handle file overwrites/etc but as far as I can tell it's FOMOD has it examine installed files and then build an XML file based on it.

Edit: looks like the answer is no. :( Oh well, time to go play with FOMM/NMM.

Double edit: Great, now my VATS screen and my pause screen are both jacked up for different reasons. The VATS screen just doesn't have any UI at all, and the pause screen (while showing the Mod Configuration Menu) doesn't let me click on anything other than the MCM.

I wish I didn't have to do everything through NMM first. I'm sure it's something with DarnUI or whatever wigging out.

And third edit: Alright, so here's what's going on and I don't really know how to fix it, since I've had most of these mods working together before.

For the priority order the top six mods (darnui through unified hud project) were installed in NMM and then imported to MO like someone else in the thread mentioned to do. I even went and re-did it from scratch, adding enabling DarnUI again at the end just to see if I could manually fix it, but I didn't see any VATS or main menu xmls being conflicted.

Anyone have any idea wtf?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2014

warrencanadian
Nov 22, 2013
So is there an easy way to turn on the additional options in The Armory once I've installed it? I was having trouble with it giving me errors during install last night, and now that I've got all the guns/weapons installed, I'd like to turn on the extra armor options too, but don't look forward to struggling through the uninstall/reinstall of the entire mod.

Edit: Oh god. I figured it out. Well, I never really wanted to leave my computer again anyway.

warrencanadian fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I don't like that it completely removes the PipBoy from the character model, but yeah, that. Thanks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Paracelsus posted:

How would I go about finding the correct value to use to console-advance a modded-in quest?

1: ask the mod author and hope they pity you
2: Open the mod esp in GECK, then track down the quest ID and quest stages yourself. If I remember right it's pretty clear what values to use for setstage but a little trickier to find the quest ID. Or maybe it's just GECK being GECK, I dunno.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a way to get Unified HUD project working with Mod Organizer? I really like being able to handle file overwrites/etc but as far as I can tell it's FOMOD has it examine installed files and then build an XML file based on it.

Edit: looks like the answer is no. :( Oh well, time to go play with FOMM/NMM.

Double edit: Great, now my VATS screen and my pause screen are both jacked up for different reasons. The VATS screen just doesn't have any UI at all, and the pause screen (while showing the Mod Configuration Menu) doesn't let me click on anything other than the MCM.

I wish I didn't have to do everything through NMM first. I'm sure it's something with DarnUI or whatever wigging out.

And third edit: Alright, so here's what's going on and I don't really know how to fix it, since I've had most of these mods working together before.

For the priority order the top six mods (darnui through unified hud project) were installed in NMM and then imported to MO like someone else in the thread mentioned to do. I even went and re-did it from scratch, adding enabling DarnUI again at the end just to see if I could manually fix it, but I didn't see any VATS or main menu xmls being conflicted.

This is how I did it -

Install Fallout Mod Manager and install the interface changing mods through FOMM thusly:

1. Darnified UI
2. Project Nevada, Patches, Extra Options
3. Latest MCM
4. One HUD (oHUD)
5. Unified HUD

Then load up ModOrganizer and go to town with the rest of your mods. It sucks but the way that the MCM and HUD based mods install, no other option, really. I don't really play New Vegas without those mods, but it would be great to have a clean data directory. Oh well.

quickedit: All of that is from memory, someone might want to help me out and verify that that works.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

warrencanadian posted:

So is there an easy way to turn on the additional options in The Armory once I've installed it? I was having trouble with it giving me errors during install last night, and now that I've got all the guns/weapons installed, I'd like to turn on the extra armor options too, but don't look forward to struggling through the uninstall/reinstall of the entire mod.

Edit: Oh god. I figured it out. Well, I never really wanted to leave my computer again anyway.

You actually got The Armory to work? I'm jealous. It crashes FOMOD for me every time, and that's with the FOMOD archive.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

You actually got The Armory to work? I'm jealous. It crashes FOMOD for me every time, and that's with the FOMOD archive.

So don't use the FOMOD. Use the manual 7zip and extract it. We offer both, heh.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gyshall posted:

This is how I did it -

Install Fallout Mod Manager and install the interface changing mods through FOMM thusly:

1. Darnified UI
2. Project Nevada, Patches, Extra Options
3. Latest MCM
4. One HUD (oHUD)
5. Unified HUD

Then load up ModOrganizer and go to town with the rest of your mods. It sucks but the way that the MCM and HUD based mods install, no other option, really. I don't really play New Vegas without those mods, but it would be great to have a clean data directory. Oh well.

quickedit: All of that is from memory, someone might want to help me out and verify that that works.

Hmm, I didn't try oHUD, maybe that will help? I'll try it out later, thanks! (Aside from that, I did that exact thing, although using NMM instead of FOMM).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Darnified UI is alwaye the first thing I install.

oHud should probably be just before unified hud as the immersive hud elements can break if you install it before certain things (the grenade icons never going away in PN, for example)

Well, I think I've found the perfect mod for my next playthrough.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40171/

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 10, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Naky posted:

So don't use the FOMOD. Use the manual 7zip and extract it. We offer both, heh.

Also, for future reference, FOMODs are basically just 7zip archives themselves and can be opened like one.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I got Armory working, most of the problem was me being stupid. Anyway, I just discovered something really odd. All the music that's original to the game is now gone. There's no ambient score, nor are any of the radio stations available. Radio New Vegas and Mojave radio are gone. None of the radios or jukeboxes play music anymore, and neither station are in my pipboy anymore. I'm running the mods for the stations (Secret Stash and MRX), and I'm running CONELRAD, Existence, Radio Blues, and the mod that expands the jazz from the Sierra Madre brodcast (all of which I can still listen to) but the rest has disappeared. Anyone ever run into this?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I got Armory working, most of the problem was me being stupid. Anyway, I just discovered something really odd. All the music that's original to the game is now gone. There's no ambient score, nor are any of the radio stations available. Radio New Vegas and Mojave radio are gone. None of the radios or jukeboxes play music anymore, and neither station are in my pipboy anymore. I'm running the mods for the stations (Secret Stash and MRX), and I'm running CONELRAD, Existence, Radio Blues, and the mod that expands the jazz from the Sierra Madre brodcast (all of which I can still listen to) but the rest has disappeared. Anyone ever run into this?
The radio station part happened to me once, and I think it had to do with the Big MT teleporter in Lombard Station not properly reassigning the stations on a return trip. Going to Zion and coming back to the Mojave fixed it.

Finally solved my problem with New Vegas Bounties through the magic of movetoqt, which put me in a mostly-empty version of the NE cell of Freeside.

Should I notice any obvious increase in fidelity when I use the Poco Bueno pack? Things don't really look any different from when I finally got my ENB presets to work right.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The radio station part happened to me once, and I think it had to do with the Big MT teleporter in Lombard Station not properly reassigning the stations on a return trip. Going to Zion and coming back to the Mojave fixed it.

Huh, right on. I'll give that a try. I need to go to The Divide anyway, I left Audrey (the Spore Plant companion from Burning Sands) out there.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Huh, right on. I'll give that a try. I need to go to The Divide anyway, I left Audrey (the Spore Plant companion from Burning Sands) out there.
I don't think the Divide will work, since you still get the normal stations there and there's no reason for the game to re-add them when you leave. You might also try returning from Big MT using the transportalponder.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

You're right, it didn't. What did work is that as soon as I left the Divide I used the Transportalponder and instead of taking me to The Sink it took me to Mojave Drive-In and my radio stations were back. Weird, but it worked. Also, sadly, I didn't find my Audrey.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

You're right, it didn't. What did work is that as soon as I left the Divide I used the Transportalponder and instead of taking me to The Sink it took me to Mojave Drive-In and my radio stations were back. Weird, but it worked. Also, sadly, I didn't find my Audrey.
Have you checked wherever Audrey returns to if you dismiss them?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Heh, yeah. Audrey, when knocked out, ends up in your inventory again as a pack of seeds and plant tendrils. Then you have to hoof it to the BioEngine Research Facility and re-clone her. Doesn't look like she got whacked, and she's not in my pack, so I don't know where she is. I'll have to PM Puce Moose and get her ref id so I can move her to me.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So I love everything about jsawyer's mod except that it sets the level cap to 35, is there anyway I can go about setting the lvl cap back to 50 without ruining jsawyer's mod?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr.Oblivious posted:

So I love everything about jsawyer's mod except that it sets the level cap to 35, is there anyway I can go about setting the lvl cap back to 50 without ruining jsawyer's mod?
Open up jsawyer.esp in FNVEdit. Under gamesettings find iMaxCharacterLevel and remove it. I'm not certain if that will affect an ongoing game, you'll want to check that with the console command "getgs iMaxCharacterLevel".
Note that jsawyer also reduced the XP the DLCs grant for levels below 35, but for obvious reasons didn't bother reducing the XP granted for levels above 35.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 11, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I beat New Vegas when it first came out and shelved it. I have not played it since. I grabbed the expansions on a steam sale. For the Elder Scrolls I would once spend hours configuring and installing mods.... my tolerance for that is now non existent.

I read the OP.

What are the mods I should really grab, which I don't need to spend hours configuring and installing?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Diogines posted:

I beat New Vegas when it first came out and shelved it. I have not played it since. I grabbed the expansions on a steam sale. For the Elder Scrolls I would once spend hours configuring and installing mods.... my tolerance for that is now non existent.

I read the OP.

What are the mods I should really grab, which I don't need to spend hours configuring and installing?

This tends to get asked about every 40-50 posts or so, but the easiest answer is to recommend installing mods that pretty much benefit every player, regardless of their intended experience: CASM to avoid save corruption, something like DarnUI/oHUD to adapt the HUD and menus for the PC's higher resolutions, possibly the "core" module of PN to give you things like a dynamic crosshair, grenade hotkey, and the ability to sprint, Arenovalis' Weapons Retxture Project (WRP) and NMC's textures to make the game prettier looking, FNV4GB 4GB executable to avoid "out of memory" CTDs, and New Vegas Anti-Crash (NVAC) to increase overall stability.

I may be missing one or two things, but the general idea is that these sort of mods don't significantly alter the game and can be recommended to virtually everybody without having an idea what they're looking for.

Beyond that, there aren't really any mods to recommend without knowing what you want out of your game. I can say that most people seem to use some combination of JSawyer, Project Nevada, and CCO as their bulk overhaul, and PN is the only one out of those three that can be tweaked a lot in-game via the Mod Configuration Menu (MCM). All of them are really easy to install and arrange with BOSS--JSawyer is a single drag/drop and PN uses a FOMOD installer. Also, a lot of people use either WMX and WME to overhaul the weapon modding system, and a weather mod.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Diogines posted:

I read the OP.

Essential: FNVEdit, Wrye Flash, FOMM, NVSE, DarnUI, CASM (remember to disable all default auto-saving), MCM, NVAC, FNV4GB (Win8 version), NVC

Recommended: NMC, Ojo Bueno, Wasteland Clothing Hi-res, Book of Water, JSawyer, IWS, Nevada Skies or Project Reality, Improved LOD, Improved LOD Noise, WRP, Precision Collision, MG NCR

These are more or less dump-in-Data-and-play. If you feel like fiddling some more and reading instructions, here's the rest of my earlier post.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Diogines posted:

-NVSE is't a mod for the game itself, but allows modders to get much more creative with what they can do, and lots of mods require it. Take the time for it.
-CASM is a solid choice, as the vanilla save system is buggy as hell. The only configuration it requires applies to the menu in game. Requires NVSE.
-NV Bounties I and II have gotten a lot of love for the amount of content they add. It's mostly "go here, kill this guy" kinds of quests, but very well done.
-JSawyer tweaks the game in a few ways to make it much harsher, as envisioned by the games lead designer/SA goon Ropekid.

Also, as you probably know, texture packs are usually nothing more than image files dropped into the data directory. The 4GB enabler will help with crashes if you want to use the really high rez versions of the packs.

As for what it seems you'll want to avoid:
-UI mods. A lot of goons swear by them, but I never had an issue with the vanilla interface.
-TTW. You'll have to install Fallout 3, then run a program that basically moves all of its content into the NV directory. It's automatic, but takes forever.

Most other mods won't give you many headaches, and you really only need to sort them with BOSS if you have a ton of plugins.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some goon really needs to make a modpack for new vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Diogines posted:

I read the OP.

Look up the series New Vegas Mod Clinic, and Modding New Vegas on Youtube. They're a series of how-to videos by Gopher, the modder behind Imaginator and other good visual tweaking mods.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Raygereio posted:

Open up jsawyer.esp in FNVEdit. Under gamesettings find iMaxCharacterLevel and remove it. I'm not certain if that will affect an ongoing game, you'll want to check that with the console command "getgs iMaxCharacterLevel".
Note that jsawyer also reduced the XP the DLCs grant for levels below 35, but for obvious reasons didn't bother reducing the XP granted for levels above 35.

Wait what? I could swear that it's just a blanket XP reduction without any level threshold associated.

Also, don't forget to edit some of the perks and traits. I forget which ones exactly were altered but the Logan's Loophole trait was changed to cap your level at 21 instead of 30 for example.

EDIT: The weird part about this is that even if you remove the level cap from JSawyer, you've still got a lower rate of XP gain, and you need more XP to level up than in the base game (I forget what the math is, but IIRC it's something like 1.75 times the amount you originally needed to get to level 2, and then 1.75 times whatever the last amount needed to level up was, so by the time you're in the double digits you need like, thousands more XP than you did in the base game) so getting to level 50 is a lot more difficult than it was in the base game.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 11, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

Wait what? I could swear that it's just a blanket XP reduction without any level threshold associated.
The XP rewards from the DLC quests aren't fixed. They're determined by a script based on your character level. Ropekid edited those scripts and reduced the XP granted at levels 35 and lower by 66%, but didn't bother also reducing the XP reward for levels above 35 because of the levelcap he introduced.

Ernie Muppari posted:

The weird part about this is that even if you remove the level cap from JSawyer, you've still got a lower rate of XP gain, and you need more XP to level up than in the base game
That's seperate from the levelcap. Jsawyer also editted several settings related to XPgain and the ammount of XP required to levelup.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Raygereio posted:

The XP rewards from the DLC quests aren't fixed. They're determined by a script based on your character level. Ropekid edited those scripts and reduced the XP granted at levels 35 and lower by 66%, but didn't bother also reducing the XP reward for levels above 35 because of the levelcap he introduced.

Well that's good to know. I've got some editing to do.

Raygereio posted:

That's seperate from the levelcap. Jsawyer also editted several settings related to XPgain and the ammount of XP required to levelup.

I know, I'm just saying that it's slightly weird that the level cap is even changed by the mod since those other changes already make getting up past level 35 way less of a given.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

I know, I'm just saying that it's slightly weird that the level cap is even changed by the mod since those other changes already make getting up past level 35 way less of a given.
Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.
I'd guess Ropekid introduced the levelcap so that the player doesn't become a god with 100 in all skills and then messed with the XP settings so that you wouldn't hit his new levelcap too soon and stoppped gaining levels for most of the game.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2014

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

Naky posted:

So just when I bitch about not having a FOMOD script despite having the FOMOD artwork already done...

Just a taste, I suppose. Thanks entirely to a random volunteer steered to me by the guy who has been doing the icons for Mill's weapons.

With this, I now have at least some motivation to finish off the last niggling details and... sigh... force myself through the leveled lists esp as much as I really, really, really, really, really don't want to. And may yet still won't, hah.

Oh, and add the 3 or 4 new unreleased weapons in too.

This is looking might drat sweet, thanks for your work mister :)

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm normally not a huge fan of ENBs, but man, I'd like to reiterate that URLWNV combined with its own ENB looks really good:

And for the goons who were concerned about the Fallout Character Overhaul faces because of squinty Hanlon.. sorry? And here's a couple of screenshots to showcase the modder's work. Here and there it's a bit lazy or strays too far from vanilla's characterization, but overhaul it's pretty good (though you probably would want to couple with New Vegas Redesigned for the faces he doesn't touch up):

P.S. : Yeah, Benny is very far removed from vanilla, but I'll take this over potato-face.

What mods are you running to make the game look so sharp? specifically the screenshot of "ranger kudlow" is impressive.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as the screenshots are concerned, I used (all the links are in the OP): NMC texture pack (the SMALL washed out wasteland version), URWLNV with its ENB (with the palette turned off), Fallout Character Overhaul (with the OnHolyServiceBound esp activated, which provides some alternative versions of some characters' faces that aim to be closer to vanilla's spirit), Wasteland Clothing Hires, Wasteland Flora Overhaul (ESPless version). Given you're in this thread you probably already know about UI mods, but just in case, I'm using the DarnUI, oHUD combo pretty much every New Vegas player uses now.

EDIT: Just as a quick note, Fallout Character Overhaul has some excellent playable races and headmeshes/textures, but the feedback on the modified NPC faces has been... mixed, as you can see from this thread. On top of that, it doesn't cover every NPC, so you might have to do some manual tinkering after installing it.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Project Nevada users: How do I give a piece of armor PN's enhanced vision modes? I'm using the Colossus T49XV armor, and the PN compatibility patch just adds the visor overlay in first person view, no vision modes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Project Nevada users: How do I give a piece of armor PN's enhanced vision modes?
That's handled by the FormID lists "PNxCVisionModeNightList", "PNxCVisionModeHeatList " & "PNxCVisionModeEMList" in Project Nevada - Core.esm.
If you want to add a visionmode to a helmet, simply add it to the corresponding list.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Weird, that helmet is already in that FormID list :raise:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Diogines posted:

I read the OP.

FOMODs is actually pretty easy to configure. If you're comparing it to say, Morrowind days.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As far as the screenshots are concerned, I used (all the links are in the OP): NMC texture pack (the SMALL washed out wasteland version), URWLNV with its ENB (with the palette turned off), Fallout Character Overhaul (with the OnHolyServiceBound esp activated, which provides some alternative versions of some characters' faces that aim to be closer to vanilla's spirit), Wasteland Clothing Hires, Wasteland Flora Overhaul (ESPless version). Given you're in this thread you probably already know about UI mods, but just in case, I'm using the DarnUI, oHUD combo pretty much every New Vegas player uses now.

EDIT: Just as a quick note, Fallout Character Overhaul has some excellent playable races and headmeshes/textures, but the feedback on the modified NPC faces has been... mixed, as you can see from this thread. On top of that, it doesn't cover every NPC, so you might have to do some manual tinkering after installing it.

Wow, thanks for the ultra-informative post. It's weird, I have mostly the same stuff installed, with the medium NMC textures (everything you mentioned except the character overhaul and flora overhaul) but I feel like my game doesnt look nearly as good. Come to think of it my resolution is maxed at 1600x900 so maybe its that. Gonna try disabling the pallete in the ENB and see if that does anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

Weird, that helmet is already in that FormID list :raise:
Check if the helmet has the "Headband" biped flag and add it if it doesn't have it. That's the biped flag PN tests for to check if you're wearing headgear.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 13, 2014