Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

EthanSteele posted:

You put Aussenseiter in horse mode and get the Kotobukiya model kit for robot Aussenseiter you dingus! It's such a great model kit and I am glad I listened to your recommendation on it.
Well duh, that's exactly what I did! However, I would have loved to have a SOC-level diecast Aussenseiter that didn't transform and was just as amazing a figure as Dygenguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To this day, I'm still waiting for a nice toy version of the Wildraubtier. I know there's a kit version, but I've tried my hand at Kotobukiya kits before (White Glint and Noblesse Oblige), and holy Christ, that plastic was a nightmare to work with and I always felt like I was a small twitch away from snapping something important.

Maybe their SRW line is better quality, but I think I'd be happier with just a Chogokin. (I still really want their Nineball AC1 Version though, no matter how bad it may be.)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Cassa posted:

Heck yeah super giant robot chat.

Speaking of chunky G1 toys, are the reissues the same mold/size as they were originally, or is there some artistic license taken?

Also, I think I might have gotten suckered in on a too good to be true Transformers deal on Ebay, oh wells. Let's see if I get one of the Santa hat too, hopefully not.

Yes... for the most part. They are 90% the same, although there are differences and a knowledgeable collector can tell them apart. Some of them are practically identical sans copyright stampings, other have been modified.

The American Hasbro reissues changed a lot of things to comply with US safety laws. Optimus Prime\Ultra Magnus have shorter smokestacks, Prowl\Bluestreak\Smokescreen and so on do not have chrome missiles and weapons but rather black PVC, Jazz has a hilarious gigantic safety missile (and a smiling face), and Starscream\Thundercracker\Skywarp also have huge safety missiles. Rodimus\Hoist\Sideswipe\Red Alert\Skids\Tracks are pretty much identical to the originals.

The Japanese "Book box" releases are probably the best and are generally more or less completely identical to the original toys and only people like Daniel "Protoman" from Canadian Slag can actually tell them apart (that guy knows more about Transformers than anyone else I have ever met in my life.) There are some exceptions to this however - Megatron and Hot Rod are improved "complete" releases. Megatron has the sword, firing mechanism and bullets from the Japanese release, as well as the scope, silencer and stock from the American release. Hot Rod has both the guns from the original '86 Hot Rod, as well as the '87 targetmaster partner, and modified pegs in his hands so he's able to hold them both. The bookbox Optimus and Megatron also come with the energon axe \ mace from episode 3 of the Transformers, so they are the best possible releases you can get.

The Japanese "Encore" series is similar in quality to the book box releases, however they take some liberties to make the toys more accurate to their character models on TV. Starscream's colors are more pastel, Trailbreaker and Hoist have blue eyes, Bruticus has slightly different colors, Omega Supreme comes with a face (that can be easily removed if you want him to be identical to the original toy) and there are TWO Devastators - one that is more like the original toy, and another that has a new head and a more cartoon-accurate color pallette.

There are also Chinese "high quality" knockoffs that come in boxes that look almost identical to the G1 toys. The quality of these varies - some are very good, others are very cheap and have terrible quality control. If you see a MIB G1 figure on eBay for a price that seems too good to be true, watch out, as it probably is!

SpikeMcclane posted:

This is probably woth dealing with phone typing. I'd probably leave him in alt mode permenantly.

This toy is like a dream come true to me. Just look at him! He's even an accurate Lancia!

Wheeljack, Ultra Magnus and a G1 VW Bumblebee are like, the three characters I want to get masterpiece toys the most but never thought they'd ever make them... AND THEY'RE ACTUALLY MAKING THEM.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 10, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It feels weird seeing a G1 Wheeljack toy that isn't a stumpy gorillaman. And yes I know about the actionmaster.

e: I got the CHUD one and I was pretty stoked at the time about how his legs couldn't extend as far as Tracks', retaining his gorillaman proportions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SpikeMcclane posted:

This is probably woth dealing with phone typing. I'd probably leave him in alt mode permenantly.

Is there anywhere I can preorder this while it's still reasonably priced?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there anywhere I can preorder this while it's still reasonably priced?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11727&mode=retail $79.99

http://www.toydojo.com/masterpiece-mp-20-autobot-wheeljack/ $74.99

http://tfsource.com/masterpiece/mp-20-wheeljack/ $79.95

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

No man, from JAPAN

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Phy posted:

e: I got the CHUD one

I know this was a typo, but it's the best typo. God how I wish this would become the moniker.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

strangehamster posted:

No man, from CHINA

Fixed that for you

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

Fixed that for you

It's all turtles China, all the way down.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
http://www.anime-export.com/product/17656 How about $44?
I have not personally used this shop, but multiple people I trust have used it and recommended it. (and mother of gently caress, they have renewal valks in stock that I can't buy now, too).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SpikeMcclane posted:

http://www.anime-export.com/product/17656 How about $44?
I have not personally used this shop, but multiple people I trust have used it and recommended it. (and mother of gently caress, they have renewal valks in stock that I can't buy now, too).

If this goes wrong, I'm fairly certain I have your home address and VERY certain I have a claw hammer.

Already had to re-PIN my card after the Target fuckup :argh:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Well, personally, I'm waiting for HLJ to put it up because of shipping. Also, I'd not be surprised if I have to move before the release date anyways, so I win.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Only tangentially related, but Shia LeBeouf, breakout star of the first three Transformers movies, has been so upset by people calling him out on his repeated plagiarism that he has "retired from public life," and has hired skywriters to plaster his "Authorship = censorship" hashtag, #stopcreating, in the skies over Los Angeles.

Michael Bay must be toasting his own genius right now for not re-hiring him for TF4.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes... for the most part. They are 90% the same, although there are differences and a knowledgeable collector can tell them apart. Some of them are practically identical sans copyright stampings, other have been modified.

-snip-

There are also Chinese "high quality" knockoffs that come in boxes that look almost identical to the G1 toys. The quality of these varies - some are very good, others are very cheap and have terrible quality control. If you see a MIB G1 figure on eBay for a price that seems too good to be true, watch out, as it probably is!

This is unbelievably helpful. Thank you so much for it.

And I'm much, much more aware of that second thing. Curse my spendthrift nature at times.

Now to track down a G1 prime re-issue...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cassa posted:

This is unbelievably helpful. Thank you so much for it.

And I'm much, much more aware of that second thing. Curse my spendthrift nature at times.

Now to track down a G1 prime re-issue...

Keep an eye on this page, I've seen it go back up twice for pre-order.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS22409&mode=retail

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I am sorry about posting the gender stuff. :saddowns:

Also, I think the only "collectible" robot figures I have are the Revoltech Gunbuster (complete poo poo, do not buy) and a Tallgeese 3 Robot Damashii I got for like $5 (turned out the leg was broken in the box, but in a way that wasn't visible until opened). So those are... special.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Kurui Reiten posted:

I am sorry about posting the gender stuff. :saddowns:

Don't fret it, it didn't blow up or anything.

Now if you had mentioned the same thing on TFW2005, well...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm really kinda disappointed that the TF movie will not have a Stegosaurus or an Apatosaurus. Last time we got a Stegosarus Dinobot was the Wal-mart exclusive Dinobots line, and we havn't had an apatosarus since G1. I'm hoping that this will be different for classics though, get another nice dinobot voyager or three.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the ceratopian Dinobot is a voyager, at least. The raptor and pterodactyl are definitely deluxes.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm really kinda disappointed that the TF movie will not have a Stegosaurus or an Apatosaurus. Last time we got a Stegosarus Dinobot was the Wal-mart exclusive Dinobots line, and we havn't had an apatosarus since G1. I'm hoping that this will be different for classics though, get another nice dinobot voyager or three.

I do miss the robo-sauropod. I'm hoping that FansToys' MP Sludge is loving gigantic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think the issue is that sauropods are visually less interesting than most other dinosaur types. They have a small head at the end of a long neck on one end and that's pretty much it. Stegosaurs have the opposite problem. Their back plates might make them too 'busy' for animators and their toys would have these small pointy pieces that could break off easily.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The MSJ posted:

I think the issue is that sauropods are visually less interesting than most other dinosaur types. They have a small head at the end of a long neck on one end and that's pretty much it. Stegosaurs have the opposite problem. Their back plates might make them too 'busy' for animators and their toys would have these small pointy pieces that could break off easily.

Just give the sauropods a leader sized figure and a bunch of giant back and side mounted guns, problem solved. :colbert:

Generations is getting leader sized figures if I'm not mistaken.

Unless they're just cutting it off right after age of extinction is released, which I hope isn't the case. Wave 9 of the deluxes is only 3 figures and Wave 6 of voyagers is just Whirl.

I wish stores stocked Generation legends figures better though. They seem to be again the hardest size class to track down.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Same, though I guess we shouldn't be surprised Michael Bay is obsessed with the carnivores. Then the one herbivore on the team is some bizarre spiky amalgamation who still has huge fangs. I'm hoping I'll at least be able to snap the extra spikes off the toy to make a somewhat decent triceratops, but even the overall body shape is so wrong I'm not counting on it. At least Fanstoys Slag looks great, and someone from the company has basically confirmed over in the TFW2005 thread they intend to do the rest of the Dinobots.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Knormal posted:

Same, though I guess we shouldn't be surprised Michael Bay is obsessed with the carnivores. Then the one herbivore on the team is some bizarre spiky amalgamation who still has huge fangs. I'm hoping I'll at least be able to snap the extra spikes off the toy to make a somewhat decent triceratops, but even the overall body shape is so wrong I'm not counting on it. At least Fanstoys Slag looks great, and someone from the company has basically confirmed over in the TFW2005 thread they intend to do the rest of the Dinobots.

The body shape to the Triceratops is a bison. They all almost look like Dinozaurs which were another line of transforming robots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm sure Hasbro will make some of their own Dinobots, might as well make the rest of the dinosaurs as long as they have to put out five others for the movie

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rita Repulsa posted:

I'm sure Hasbro will make some of their own Dinobots, might as well make the rest of the dinosaurs as long as they have to put out five others for the movie

Yeah this is true some of the better movie molds like Brawn, Seaspray, and Bludgeon were not featured in the movie at all.

Also

:siren: RANDOM SPECULATIVE THEORY :siren:
Cosmos' partner Payload doesn't seem like he was originally made for Cosmos due to not being able to attach anywhere on the figure like all the other partners in vehicle mode according to TFW2005. He does however connect to Legends Megatron in his shield mode if you were to lift up his chest peg. They're claiming that Legends Megatron is going to probably be repainted into a Teeny tiny Overlord/Gigatron down the line.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

That's true, it's not like the other movie lines felt the need to restrict themselves to the onscreen characters. Here's hoping for more dinos.

Unrelated, but as the resident third party combiner nut, I am really not feeling TFC's Not-Streetwise. Their Aerialbots I was happy with because their jet modes were just exceptional, but if all the Prometheus guys are going to look as blah as Streetwise, I'm going to need to see Defensor before I throw any money at that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You know someone really needs to compile a list of all Third Party Transformers cause it's getting hard to keep track of them all(especially since there isn't a good wiki for them like official Transformers have)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Taint Reaper posted:

:siren: RANDOM SPECULATIVE THEORY :siren:
Cosmos' partner Payload doesn't seem like he was originally made for Cosmos due to not being able to attach anywhere on the figure like all the other partners in vehicle mode according to TFW2005.

:confused:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

See? Transformers don't need genders to mate like Primus intended.

... I'm sorry :suicide:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That poor shuttle! :ohdear:

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Shuttle kinda looks like it is smiling though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Peaguh or whoever must be really stupid then.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

The Taint Reaper posted:

Peaguh or whoever must be really stupid then.

Talk about understatements!

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Peaugh, I wouldn't mind him if he'd just use some editing.

I'd love to see some type of blooper reel done.

I can't remember which video, but I could swear there was one where his camera just falls off the table.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Unrelated, but as the resident third party combiner nut, I am really not feeling TFC's Not-Streetwise. Their Aerialbots I was happy with because their jet modes were just exceptional, but if all the Prometheus guys are going to look as blah as Streetwise, I'm going to need to see Defensor before I throw any money at that.
I think their Streetwise looks decent, but the I don't like the weird sci-fi bike they chose for Groove. I know they had to do something, since a motorcycle's just not bulky enough to make a good three-mode figure, but what they chose totally clashes with the rescue vehicle theme. I'd rather they just chose some other alt mode altogether. But at least you can't say it's blah I guess.

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

Knormal posted:

I think their Streetwise looks decent, but the I don't like the weird sci-fi bike they chose for Groove. I know they had to do something, since a motorcycle's just not bulky enough to make a good three-mode figure, but what they chose totally clashes with the rescue vehicle theme. I'd rather they just chose some other alt mode altogether. But at least you can't say it's blah I guess.

A Tron Lightcycle that turns into a robot and a combiner limb is pretty awesome. Are we sure that isn't one of the Technobots, ie Not-Afterburner? Seems more in line with Computron than Defensor.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lepecard posted:

Speaking of Peaugh, I wouldn't mind him if he'd just use some editing.

I'd love to see some type of blooper reel done.

I can't remember which video, but I could swear there was one where his camera just falls off the table.

Peaugh seems like a good guy and his reviews are generally informative, but yeah he could use more editing. Sometimes he's fantastically clumsy with the figure (he pops balljoints off like it's his job even when the toy isn't particularly loose). I think he even straight up broke a figure mid-review, Leader Brawl if I recall correctly. He just snapped the turret off from forcing the drat thing.

But he's generally serious, and gets lots of reviews up. And thankfully doesn't have a goddamn gimmick (like reviewing using a puppet, I mean what the gently caress). For some reason I can't stand Optibotimus for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arsenal_12 posted:

A Tron Lightcycle that turns into a robot and a combiner limb is pretty awesome. Are we sure that isn't one of the Technobots, ie Not-Afterburner? Seems more in line with Computron than Defensor.
Yeah that would be a great Afterburner, but according to what TFC's said so far that's Groove. I don't have an issue with the figure itself, it looks neat, it's just not a Protectobot.