Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Nethack is great I just cannot play games that are ascii.

"Oh a D, it's a dog!" *dies to dragon*

I wonder if there are any nice tilesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Let me know if you do. I'd like to play it too.

Speaking of Brad. Has anyone noticed that...

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Jeff only posts when absolutely nobody expects it. He's like Batman.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Don't play nethack as your first roguelike. It's full of things you just need to remember, the systems are completely opaque. Play a more modern roguelike cut from the same cloth instead, like ToMe3, Brogue, desktop dungeons, dungeon crawl stone soup, etc. Most of them have tilesets. See this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also, I really recommend playing DoomRL, it's a really great game and easy to learn for a roguelike. The music, sound and graphics are great.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Brad IS a cool guy. Quit getting mad at him.

No one is say he isn't. Heck, none of us would visit this site if it weren't for them being cool dudes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Dodoman posted:

No one is say he isn't. Heck, none of us would visit this site if it weren't for them being cool dudes.

You literally called him satan and were readying yourself to send him a parcel bomb.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
You know, I'd read the hell out of a Patrick article that dug into the side market that's made Star Citizen take off in donations. It's a weird thing.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Samopsa posted:

Don't play nethack as your first roguelike.

I played stone soup a while ago, I turned myself into a pork golem.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

You literally called him satan and were readying yourself to send him a parcel bomb.

Now all I'm imagining is Brad wandering around Hell as the great lord of the underworld muttering to himself about how he can't open this package because he has to craft a pitchfork first.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Let me know if you do. I'd like to play it too.

Speaking of Brad. Has anyone noticed that...

Well he is British... THE JOKE HAS FAILED

Samopsa posted:

Don't play nethack as your first roguelike. It's full of things you just need to remember, the systems are completely opaque. Play a more modern roguelike cut from the same cloth instead, like ToMe3, Brogue, desktop dungeons, dungeon crawl stone soup, etc. Most of them have tilesets. See this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also, I really recommend playing DoomRL, it's a really great game and easy to learn for a roguelike. The music, sound and graphics are great.

I second the DoomRL suggestion: it's fantastic and Derek Yu on graphics plus the sound and music make it a lot more engaging for most people compared to other roguelikes that (understandably) lack in that department.

vvv: My knowledge of Tintin stemmed from the cartoon ok :saddowns:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tintin is Belgian :colbert:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I played stone soup a while ago, I turned myself into a pork golem.

If you had done that in IVAN you could have ripped off one of your arms and eaten it and then replaced the arm with one made of steel.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

uPen posted:

If you had done that in IVAN you could have ripped off one of your arms and eaten it and then replaced the arm with one made of steel.

Wait poo poo it was ivan.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
IVAN (also known as A Violent Road to Death) is a great name for a less than great game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tilesets are hard since due to the size of each map, the tilesets tend to be very tiny ugly sprites. Honestly, I just found that it's been easier to learn the letters. You just need to follow the general rule that capital letters are more dangerous than lowercase letters.

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page is awesome too since they have all characters on the front page for easy access.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am guessing scoops might be too busy watching football to do any more Dark Souls this weekend but I am really looking forward to his continued adventures. Yes I know it is the weekend and he is under no obligation to make content on the weekend but it is also on his personal page and not the site.

I have been watching the Kay Plays Dark Souls blind LP linked earlier and it is pretty interesting to watch. Watching someone struggle with the game can be hard to watch because you feel so bad for them but she has been pretty positive about it all along.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Jeff is streaming C-64 games right now for some reason.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

StarkRavingMad posted:

Because the C=64 owned?

"For a substantial period (1983–1986), the C64 dominated the market with between 30% and 40% share and 2 million units sold per year, outselling the IBM PC compatibles, Apple Inc. computers, and the Atari 8-bit family of computers. Sam Tramiel, a later Atari president and the son of Commodore's founder, said in a 1989 interview, "When I was at Commodore we were building 400,000 C64s a month for a couple of years."

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

StarkRavingMad posted:

Peeps are nostalgic about their old consoles, which is why some people think things are good when they weren't. Chances are Jeff is testing controllers and games before logging them and boxing them up.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The C64 was a goddamn amazing machine.

Wikipedia posted:

Adjusted to the size of population the popularity of Commodore 64 was the highest in Finland where it was subsequently marketed as "the computer of the republic"."

The Computer of the Republic advertising was glorious.

That's The Fighting Capercaillies by Ferdinand von Wright, one of Finland's most famous paintings.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Captain Internet posted:

Peeps are nostalgic about their old consoles, which is why some people think things are good when they weren't. Chances are Jeff is testing controllers and games before logging them and boxing them up.

I think he said at one point he's testing a new mic and some steaming setup stuff.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I like it when they play the lovely games on UPF, then we don't have to buy them to see how badly broken they are. I love a badly coded game but I draw the line at actually buying them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mu Zeta posted:

Tintin is Belgian :colbert:

Tintin is human garbage.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Whizbang posted:

Tintin is human garbage.

He's not even real.
Much like Brad's gaming skill! :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What is this motorcycle game jeff is playing? We're approaching Breaking Jeff territory.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I'd love to see what someone could make as a game now days using the actual limitations of a system like the C64. Not this "it looks sort of like a C64 game but not really" kind of poo poo, but someone making a game that could actually run on the system.

A lot of the old techniques for being super duper tight about your coding are probably lost to the sands of time now but if you got one of those Scene Demo dudes on board...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Maybe I'm just not old enough to get it but C64 games all look like they were way too ambitious for what the hardware could do and just ended up being kind of poo poo. I can go back and enjoy playing through some NES games but I've once had fun with a C64 game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

I'd love to see what someone could make as a game now days using the actual limitations of a system like the C64. Not this "it looks sort of like a C64 game but not really" kind of poo poo, but someone making a game that could actually run on the system.

A lot of the old techniques for being super duper tight about your coding are probably lost to the sands of time now but if you got one of those Scene Demo dudes on board...

If you do some searching you'll actually find a lot of stuff. Those old machines still having people making stuff for them, both games and tech demos. I never followed C64 stuff - I was on the ZX Spectrum side of the "great 8-bit schism". While rooting around a while back I saw some fairly mind-bending demoscene products, and crazy poo poo like a speccy port of Doom (or at least, a limited tech demo).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Halo 2600 is probably the closest thing in recent memory.

There's a big difference between "looks like something from that era" and "looks like something the hardware of that era could actually produce"

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Well, there's this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

Maybe I'm just not old enough to get it but C64 games all look like they were way too ambitious for what the hardware could do and just ended up being kind of poo poo. I can go back and enjoy playing through some NES games but I've once had fun with a C64 game.

I've never retained much of any fondness for that era. I grew up with C64s and Amigas, and although there are many games I can appreciate for being innovative and creative (plus great music), there aren't a whole lot I would actively go back and play today. When I got a PC all that poo poo practically went out the window.

Not that there weren't cool games, though. Like Usagi Yojimbo on C64 was basically the proto-Bushido Blade. And I played a lot of awesome games like Monkey Island and :siren:Another World:siren: on my Amiga years before I got a PC, so there were plenty of good reasons to own one at the time since PCs were so much more expensive.

Plus you literally had hundreds of games since piracy was by far the norm - I don't think I ever saw more than a handful retail Amiga games in Danish stores since there was no point in carrying them. If you had an Amiga or C64 you'd just borrow someone else's entire loving collection for a weekend and copy those goddamn floppies/tapes.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I just want to be able to play his game without having two different ways to move through menus depending on what menu you are in because it makes sense to his aspergers riddled brain!

Two different ways? If only it were that streamlined.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This karate game looks pretty good for a C64 game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dodoman posted:

This karate game looks pretty good for a C64 game.

Jeff is right, it's way better than Karate Champ. Though I don't know why he isn't playing IK+. This game's music sucks compared to that.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Chrono Trigger is the next game on AGDQ, right after Wind Waker HD, and RyanD is currently losing to Bendr for the character name for Robo. All donations go to Prevent Cancer Foundation so if anybody wants to throw in some money to try and get RyanD up that would be great.

http://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donate/9

http://gamesdonequick.com/

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Chrono Trigger is the next game on AGDQ, right after Wind Waker HD, and RyanD is currently losing to Bendr for the character name for Robo. All donations go to Prevent Cancer Foundation so if anybody wants to throw in some money to try and get RyanD up that would be great.

http://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donate/9

http://gamesdonequick.com/

At least 2poch is winning for the ship name, it's blowing my mind that Bendr is getting such support.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, it sucks a ton that RyanD's fallen so far behind so close to the end. If you want to keep track, here's the donation war for RyanD (and the one for 2poch for that matter)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

There's also 1000 bucks gone into Brono which is great but it has no chance in winning against it's competition.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is what video games are all about.

A rabbit in space throwing illuminati symbols at a big shoe with an unintelligble UI that has the words "GOING NUTS" in the corner.

Edit: Yep. A level featuring skull and crossbone-symbols throwing disks and tapes at you. Biting satire.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hakkesshu posted:

This is what video games are all about.

A rabbit in space throwing illuminati symbols at a big shoe with an unintelligble UI that has the words "GOING NUTS" in the corner.

Edit: Yep. A level featuring skull and crossbone-symbols throwing disks and tapes at you. Biting satire.

No that level was what video games are truly about. A rabbit shooting joints at candy bars in space.

• Locked thread