Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

LP97S posted:

Monsanto is the main target because they're monopolizing the distribution of seeds with buy outs and licensing and I'm sorry that apparently this thread is only about GMO being bad from some loving green party platform instead of dealing with the biggest name in loving over food distribution. I guess liberalism wins again, Merry Christmas.

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

LP97S posted:

Monsanto is the main target because they're monopolizing the distribution of seeds with buy outs and licensing
No they aren't. Monsanto isn't even the biggest in the US. They make top 5 in a good year.

You don't even know who the players are in the market you're so concerned about Monsanto ruining for the world.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No they aren't. Monsanto isn't even the biggest in the US. They make top 5 in a good year.

You don't even know who the players are in the market you're so concerned about Monsanto ruining for the world.

They control 90% of the soy bean market and they've gotten the OK from the US government to continue with no obligation on their part.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Please explain how Monsanto having the best product in the US soybean market is causing world hunger.

GMO's increase yields. Farmers aren't stupid, in fact, they're pretty goddamn good at farming. They don't need you to step in and protect them from mean 'ol big city types. They buy Monsanto seed because it's worth more to them. There's no shortage of soybean cultivars available.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 26, 2013

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Monsanto does not control 90% of the soybean market, 90% of soybeans contain Monsanto patented technology. That's a pretty key difference; consider that in the smartphone, CPU and other high-tech industries, all the major players are essentially using technologies licensed from their competitors. The fact that 90% of soybeans contain Monsanto-licensed technology does not mean that Monsanto literally "controls" 90% of the soybean market since Monsanto itself is very likely licensing patented technology from its competitors as well.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The patent licensing markets work very differently between agriculture and high tech, so it's less of a likelihood that there's extensive cross-licensing going on.

That still ignores that 90% of the soybean market is Monsanto because it works better (better in this case being resistance to a relatively inexpensive human-safe herbicide, not increased yield) It's not like it's hard to find a soybean cultivar that doesn't use Monsantos patents and grow it if you don't want to deal with Monsanto. You can even replant the seeds from year to year.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Kalman posted:

That still ignores that 90% of the soybean market is Monsanto because it works better (better in this case being resistance to a relatively inexpensive human-safe herbicide, not increased yield) It's not like it's hard to find a soybean cultivar that doesn't use Monsantos patents and grow it if you don't want to deal with Monsanto. You can even replant the seeds from year to year.
You certainly get a better yield if you can more effectively control destructive weeds, and it's a lot easier to control them when you don't have to worry about your herbicide being the kind of horrific chemical weapon that was "traditionally" used. It's generally a lot easier to apply a chemical that won't melt your skin or give your kids flippers.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kalman posted:

The patent licensing markets work very differently between agriculture and high tech, so it's less of a likelihood that there's extensive cross-licensing going on.

There's a USDA report that points out that there is in fact a good bit of cross-licensing, at least along the larger companies. From page 38 of the report:

quote:

[Dupont, Dow Agro Sciences, Syngenta, Monsanto, Bayer Crop Sciences, and BASF] have instituted biotechnology research, acquired interest in biotechnology companies, collaborated in biotechnology research, or signed licensing agreements for biotechnology products. In many cases, they have combined more than one of these activities...Significant cross-licensing agreements still exist between companies, including those comprising the Big 6 (Howard, 2009). For example, Monsanto has cross-licensing agreements with all the other Big 6 companies; Dow with four of the other five, and DuPont and Syngenta with three of the other companies.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well gently caress it, I guess since a company that has a long history of killing people is just taking advantage of the gross inequalities that the current system affords them is fine. I focused on Monsanto because what a goddamned shock the name of the company is in the title, and I followed it through because of trying to right the wrongs at reasons to hate Monsanto. They are the largest distributor, so I aimed at them. You can't even argue with that, no one did and instead said "that's fine" or just accepted it as if the childlike notion of a real free market existed. The consolidation of agribusiness over the last 20 years cannot be ignored nor should it just be viewed as natural as in no time in history did the combination at this level with minimum oversight ever have any good come out of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LP97S posted:

Well gently caress it, I guess since a company that has a long history of killing people is just taking advantage of the gross inequalities that the current system affords them is fine. I focused on Monsanto because what a goddamned shock the name of the company is in the title, and I followed it through because of trying to right the wrongs at reasons to hate Monsanto. They are the largest distributor, so I aimed at them. You can't even argue with that, no one did and instead said "that's fine" or just accepted it as if the childlike notion of a real free market existed. The consolidation of agribusiness over the last 20 years cannot be ignored nor should it just be viewed as natural as in no time in history did the combination at this level with minimum oversight ever have any good come out of it.

They aren't the 'largest distributor' their technology is in most soybeans because, again, they are objectively the best. Do you have any background in agriculture or something because even the most insanely anti-GMO farmers know that Monsanto isn't the main distributor in most any field.

How about you cite some sources to these outrageous arguments?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LP97S posted:

There is a lot of unfocused anger here.

What is so bad about other people in the thread asking you to make some specific claims or substantiate the vague ones that you have made? Can you quit making fairly big claims ("Monsanto are mass murders!") without saying where you got the idea, a link, something?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LP97S posted:

You do realize that Monsanto is in the title as a reference to exactly the ignorance you're displaying, right?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I've never understood why the frothing anti-GMO doomsayers have latched onto Monsanto. Why not Pioneer, Bayer, or Dow?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah Dow's mass murder is actually existent and well-documented. (Companies now owned by dow anyway...)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 26, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I've never understood why the frothing anti-GMO doomsayers have latched onto Monsanto. Why not Pioneer, Bayer, or Dow?

Monsanto was the first to do so. Prior to becoming a mostly genetics based company, they manufactured PCB and managed to dump 45 tons of the mess into a single creek in 1969. They also engaged in dangerous practices in disposing of it in many places. Sure, they might not have the raw body count of Union Carbide, now owned Dow, but when people asked why did I not like Monsanto, I explained why specifically with regards of that company. Cargill and Dow are also sketchy companies and I wouldn't trust them with dogsitting, let alone being a major component in food security in the 21st century.

But hey, since apparently this thread is solely about GMO from some dumb loving email chain arguments and not about the ultimately dangerous practice of monopolies I'll stop.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

LP97S posted:

Monsanto was the first to do so. Prior to becoming a mostly genetics based company, they manufactured PCB and managed to dump 45 tons of the mess into a single creek in 1969. They also engaged in dangerous practices in disposing of it in many places. Sure, they might not have the raw body count of Union Carbide, now owned Dow, but when people asked why did I not like Monsanto, I explained why specifically with regards of that company. Cargill and Dow are also sketchy companies and I wouldn't trust them with dogsitting, let alone being a major component in food security in the 21st century.

But hey, since apparently this thread is solely about GMO from some dumb loving email chain arguments and not about the ultimately dangerous practice of monopolies I'll stop.

This thread was originally about a particular strain of bizarre ideas about Monsanto and GMO that propogated in a strange internet vacuum to create people that were angry at issues that they basically invented themselves.

I'm sorry if actually stating what your mad about is a lot of work for you, but...hahaha no i'm not. Actually make a coherent argument if you want to discuss something. If you lack enough information to do so, consider that your beliefs may be ill-founded, since you can no longer back them up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LP97S posted:

To call Dow 'also sketchy' is like saying "Yea Hitler was a dictator who killed millions, and Stalin was also kinda a dick". If you want to rant and rage about random companies, pick Dow, it's the one that actually DID have death squads that actually DID straight murder people.

Like, no one is saying monopolies are good, we're saying you legit don't understand what you're angry about, just that you're supes mad about about something. You didn't give any specific reasons you don't like Monsanto beyond 'what if they make a monopoly' and a poor understanding of soy beans.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I found I had a draft of a post I was writing for an old thread from last year about monsanto, and in addition to being an answer to the below, I quoted some other posts from that thread.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So to be clear if you make a seed you shouldn't own it? If you produce a product you don't own your labor if it's deemed to be a 'staple'?

When it outcompetes other seeds (economically, not biologically, GMOs are fine) and eliminates them from the marketplace or with enough horizontal integration, then farmers are forced to pay for a seed with a yearly royalty due to contract-even if the yields do not measure up to what they are told it will yield or if overproduction lowers prices to such an extent that no profit can be made. This results in small farmer debt which often leads to perpetual poverty (in de facto debt bondage for India) or suicide.

When I have concern (not anti-GMO concerns; anti-capitalistic concerns) about Monsanto, it is based on its history and the history of subsistence farming societies forcibly converted to agricultural societies with a capitalistic mode of production. I am not concerned with monsanto's involvement with American farmers or other first world farmers. I am concerned with Monsanto's activities in places like India, where 65% of the total population's livelihood depends on farming--places where vast portions of the population are largely agrarian or subsistence-farming and capitalist outsiders are seeking to transform that.

First, two articles about the situation in India:

quote:

http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/in-india-gm-crops-come-at-a-high-price/

Srinivas Reddy, another farmer, said, “We buy our seeds on the black market now, and we pay three times, sometimes five times, as much as we did for the normal seeds. But nobody is selling non-Bt seeds anymore.” Mr. Reddy said he was also paying more for farmhands and pesticides.

The farmers in Hussainpur raised a central question in the controversy over genetically modified crops: What makes them so expensive to farm?

As developing countries like India and China expand their production of genetically modified crops, engineered for traits like natural pest resistance or tolerance of herbicides, farmers are seeing costs rise. Crop biotechnology companies like Monsanto already charge a premium on their seeds to defray the cost of research. But in India, where agriculture consists mainly of small farms, a complex web of inadequate crop management, regulatory barriers, and increasing weed and pest resistance has pushed the costs for farmers even higher.

Bt cotton is currently India’s only genetically modified crop, but it accounts for 95 percent of all cotton farming in the country. The seeds can cost anywhere between 700 to 2,000 rupees ($38) per packet, or about three to eight times the cost of conventional seeds.

Seed companies say that the high prices are largely due to stringent regulation by governments, which they say inflate the costs for the companies.

“Burdensome regulations have been adopted and indiscriminately used by regulators to assess extremely remote risks,” said Eric Sachs, regulatory lead at Monsanto. “But the added requirements provide no significant reduction in risk, lengthen the review time and contribute to higher costs.”

Out of concerns that live genetically modified organisms will contaminate local species and potentially pose health and environmental threats, governments usually require extensive field trials and risk assessments before approving a seed for local planting. A recent industry-financed study by the agribusiness consulting firm Phillips McDougall found that seed companies spent on average five years and $35 million, or a quarter of their entire costs, on such requirements while developing a genetically modified crop.

Full article on the following here; some snippets

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/02/201224152439941847.html posted:

The past twenty years have seen a very rapid erosion of seed diversity and seed sovereignty, and the concentration of the control over seeds by a very small number of giant corporations. In 1995, when the UN organised the Plant Genetic Resources Conference in Leipzig, it was reported that 75 per cent of all agricultural biodiversity had disappeared because of the introduction of "modern" varieties, which are always cultivated as monocultures. Since then, the erosion has accelerated.

The introduction of the Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights Agreement of the World Trade Organisation has accelerated the spread of genetically engineered seeds - which can be patented - and for which royalties can be collected. Navdanya was started in response to the introduction of these patents on seeds in the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade - a forerunner to the WTO - about which a Monsanto representative later stated: "In drafting these agreements, we were the patient, diagnostician [and] physician all in one." Corporations defined a problem - and for them the problem was farmers saving seeds. They offered a solution, and the solution was to make it illegal for farmers to save seed - by introducing patents and intellectual property rights on those very seeds. As a result, acreage under GM corn, soya, canola, cotton has increased dramatically.

Besides displacing and destroying diversity, patented GMO seeds are also undermining seed sovereignty. Across the world, new seed laws are being introduced which enforce compulsory registration of seeds, thus making it impossible for small farmers to grow their own diversity, and forcing them into dependency on giant seed corporations. Corporations are also patenting climate resilient seeds evolved by farmers - thus robbing farmers of using their own seeds and knowledge for climate adaptation.

Another threat to seed sovereignty is genetic contamination. India has lost its cotton seeds because of contamination from Bt Cotton - a strain engineered to contain the pesticide Bacillus thuringiensis bacterium. Canada has lost its canola seed because of contamination from Roundup Ready canola. And Mexico has lost its corn due to contamination from Bt Cotton.

As a farmer's seed supply is eroded, and farmers become dependent on patented GMO seed, the result is debt. India, the home of cotton, has lost its cotton seed diversity and cotton seed sovereignty. Some 95 per cent of the country's cotton seed is now controlled by Monsanto - and the debt trap created by being forced to buy seed every year - with royalty payments - has pushed hundreds of thousands of farmers to suicide; of the 250,000 farmer suicides, the majority are in the cotton belt.

Under the US Global Food Security Act, Nepal signed an agreement with USAID and Monsanto. This led to massive protests across the country. India was forced to allow patents on seeds through the first dispute brought by the US against India in the WTO. Since 2004, India has also been trying to introduce a Seed Act which would require farmers to register their own seeds and take licenses. This in effect would force farmers from using their indigenous seed varieties. By creating a Seed Satyagraha - a non-cooperation movement in Gandhi's footsteps, handing over hundreds of thousands of signatures to the prime minister, and working with parliament - we have so far prevented the Seed Law from being introduced.

India has signed a US-India Knowledge Initiative in Agriculture, with Monsanto on the Board. Individual states are also being pressured to sign agreements with Monsanto. One example is the Monsanto-Rajasthan Memorandum of Understanding, under which Monsanto would get intellectual property rights to all genetic resources, and to carry out research on indigenous seeds. It took a campaign by Navdanya and a "Monsanto Quit India" Bija Yatra ["seed pilgrimage"] to force the government of Rajasthan to cancel the MOU.

This asymmetric pressure of Monsanto on the US government, and the joint pressure of both on the governments across the world, is a major threat to the future of seeds, the future of food and the future of democracy.

Foreign traders pushing cotton farming in India is not new. In reaction to the cotton famine of 1861-65 where British textile manufacturers were hit by a huge shock to their supply chain due to the American Civil War, The British Empire got more involved in British-occupied colonial India so they would have a stable cotton supply. Through their policies, subsistence farmers were converted into cotton farmers who were promised short-term profits. Overproduction of cotton resulted and those who used to be subsistence farmers had to buy food when they formerly had grown it. Did this conversion result in an overall shortage of food crops? No. During these years, India was a net exporter of food crops. The nation grew economically. Of course, the wealth of nations does not equal the well-being of its people. Somewhere around 10 to 20 million people died over the next several decades from chronic famines that came not from food shortage but unavailability to the people at market prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Victorian_Holocausts posted:

Davis argues, for example, that "Between 1875–1900—a period that included the worst famines in Indian history—annual grain exports increased from 3 to 10 million tons", equivalent to the annual nutrition of 25m people. "Indeed, by the turn of the century, India was supplying nearly a fifth of Britain’s wheat consumption at the cost of its own food security.
...As an example of the effects of [military expenditures] and of the restructuring of the local economy to suit imperial needs (in Victorian Berar, the acreage of cotton doubled 1875–1900), Davis notes that "During the famine of 1899–1900, when 143,000 Beraris died directly from starvation, the province exported not only thousands of bales of cotton but an incredible 747,000 bushels of grain."

If there's any problem with Monsanto's genetic modification, it's because of the implications of that modification, not the mere fact that some crops were modified. For instance, they have a contract stipulation that you must buy new seeds from them every year; you cannot hold onto seeds. They've sued people who have held onto seeds for piracy. It's this context that colors their decision to genetically modify sterile plants as something not done for its intrinsic benefit but for a way of making sure no sales opportunity is lost.

http://www.economist.com/node/14904184 posted:

Acquisitions have been a key part of Monsanto's strategy, giving it access to new seed markets. In 2005, it began to apply biotech to vegetables after buying Seminis, the world's largest vegetable-seed company, for $1.4 billion. Since it was spun off, Monsanto has made more than 20 acquisitions (as well as several disposals). Those purchases are one reason why it was singled out as an appropriate target for the antitrust authorities in a paper published in October by the American Antitrust Institute, an independent competition watchdog. The paper laments the “impaired state of competition in transgenic seed”—which it blames on Monsanto above all.

The company's acquisitions have been crucial in creating the horizontal and vertical integration that support its platforms in cotton, corn and soyabeans. Last year its share of the markets for GM corn and soyabeans was about 65% and that for GM cotton about 45%. The institute's paper argues that, thanks to its dominance, Monsanto is actually harming innovation in seed. Monsanto had to make concessions to win the antitrust authorities' approval for two of its biggest purchases, of DeKalb in 1998 and of Delta and Pine Land in 2007.

True, for the past 13 years Monsanto has been licensing its technology broadly, to hundreds of firms, including some of its main competitors. This, the paper concedes, has ensured that Monsanto has not ended up in “control of large, totally closed platforms in transgenic seed that could be challenged only by the unlikely emergence of rival platforms.” However, it cites Monsanto's reputation for defending its intellectual property fiercely through the courts as another reason why the antitrust authorities should take a look at the firm.

Monsanto's terms of business require farmers to buy fresh seed every year. Its new Violator Exclusion Policy denies farmers who break the terms of its licences access to all its technology for ever. This summer it achieved its latest success in enforcing its stern line when it won a case against some Canadian farmers who had held on to seed.

In response to this in the other thread, someone posted:

GMO's are very carefully modified to express certain traits. When you let them out of the lab and they start breeding (even with each other) that all goes almost immediately out the window. The entire breeding process has been shaped by evolution to shuffle the genetic deck. On the first set of offspring you're going to get a massively reduced effectiveness, by the second set your modifications are completely shot to poo poo.

My question then would be if it's so advantageous to buy the same seeds every year to ensure higher quality and quantity in yields, why do you need explicit enforcement through royalties? Especially since the seed itself loses its patented traits after replanting.
And what if a royalty-bound crop doesn't produce as much of a yield as was expected, causing the farmer to expect having to go into debt if they want to buy seeds next year--shouldn't they have the option of 'dropping out', simply planting from their previous yield to recoup costs?
(Not having the option open for replanting of cotton crops is the problem in India--farmers were unable to make up for debt due to royalties.)

One could say, "no one forced anyone to change from being subsistence farmers!" but that disregards the great power disparity between the two sides of the contract when someone with absolutely no experience in working with contract law is rendered "equal" to foreign entities who have vast amounts of lawyers and salespersons in their employ whose sole existence is to extract the last drop of revenue from other human beings. (One might as well blame any early 1900s immigrant to America who was sold a house under a contract for deed, where they were told they own it (so long as they meet rent--it becomes truly theirs only once it is all paid off). At any time, if they lose employment and are unable to meet it for even a brief period, they are evicted and lose all stake in the house. This still goes on in US/Mexican border towns called Colonias, where plumbing and electrical systems are a 'maybe').

It also disregards land reform that marks those epochs of conversion, where feudal or traditionally-owned land suddenly comes under a competitive system of rents and peasants then must pay increasing rents on land that produces no more revenue than before. How do you come up with this rent? An agricultural salesperson will come in here and suggest "how about a commercial crop? You can be rich!" If one doesn't risk this, they will be evicted from their land and have to compete as wage workers in an already swelling labor market.

The choice between small-scale/subsistence farming and capitalistic farming should be a choice individual people in a society should be allowed to make. Strict state enforcement royalties on crops when very few non-royalty-bound alternatives are available is one way that a capitalist mode of production is coerced.

Seed patents are simply another type of capital (intellectual capital) that a firm uses to gain an advantage in a market. Capital itself is neutral. The socially-harmful (or helpful) way a firm uses that capital is what determines whether or not a firm should be allowed to use that capital for a profit or if they should have that privilege taken away. A company with a history such as Monsanto's--where they produced Agent Orange in large quantities for the US government with full knowledge of its toxicity as early as 1952--should not be allowed the privilege to continue functioning as-is, and especially not in ways where their function is to gently caress with populations of developing peasant countries when it is has shown that is has no respect for their well-being.

When dealing with ensuring the basic necessities of living are met, why should there be profit needed for self-subsistence to occur? Do we need a profit motive to make sure people get food? Sometimes it is more efficient to have an organization provide things with everyone pitching in to support it. If GMO crops have such great real-world benefits that not only save lives but also cut costs due to increasing efficiency with higher crop yields (and making food aid more efficient), why not have not have world governments sponsor the research and introduce seeds on the market with no added cost to farmers for a 'technology fee?' Even if you have to spend a billion dollars a year, R&D could be concentrated on something like Golden Rice 2 instead of Roundup Ready 2 (the latter being a marginal improvement whose benefits probably do not make up for the cost of staying on patent).

A socialist response to the abuses of capitalist production is not to destroy capital. It's to socialize the gains from it. If GMO crops make the world better and result in easier eats, then make them. It is not the newfangled proprietary crops that are to blame, but the use of those proprietary crops by companiesas a tool for expropriating people so that they cannot afford to buy the food companies allege they've worked so hard to make for the sake of the people.

Capital, Chapter 15 posted:

The contradictions and antagonisms inseparable from the capitalist employment of machinery, do not exist, they say, since they do not arise out of machinery, as such, but out of its capitalist employment! Since therefore machinery, considered alone, shortens the hours of labour, but, when in the service of capital, lengthens them; since in itself it lightens labour, but when employed by capital, heightens the intensity of labour; since in itself it is a victory of man over the forces of Nature, but in the hands of capital, makes man the slave of those forces; since in itself it increases the wealth of the producers, but in the hands of capital, makes them paupers-for all these reasons and others besides, says the bourgeois economist without more ado, it is clear as noon-day that all these contradictions are a mere semblance of the reality, and that, as a matter of fact, they have neither an actual nor a theoretical existence. Thus he saves himself from all further puzzling of the brain, and what is more, implicitly declares his opponent to be stupid enough to contend against, not the capitalistic employment of machinery, but machinery itself.

No doubt he is far from denying that temporary inconvenience may result from the capitalist use of machinery. But where is the medal without its reverse! Any employment of machinery, except by capital, is to him an impossibility. Exploitation of the workman by the machine is therefore, with him, identical with exploitation of the machine by the workman. Whoever, therefore, exposes the real state of things in the capitalistic employment of machinery, is against its employment in any way, and is an enemy of social progress! Exactly the reasoning of the celebrated Bill Sykes. “Gentlemen of the jury, no doubt the throat of this commercial traveller has been cut. But that is not my fault, it is the fault of the knife. Must we, for such a temporary inconvenience, abolish the use of the knife? Only consider! where would agriculture and trade be without the knife? Is it not as salutary in surgery, as it is knowing in anatomy? And in addition a willing help at the festive board? If you abolish the knife — you hurl us back into the depths of barbarism.”

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rodatose posted:

A socialist response to the abuses of capitalist production is not to destroy capital. It's to socialize the gains from it. If GMO crops make the world better and result in easier eats, then make them. It is not the newfangled proprietary crops that are to blame, but the use of those proprietary crops by companiesas a tool for expropriating people so that they cannot afford to buy the food companies allege they've worked so hard to make for the sake of the people.

Why is this so loving difficult for people to understand?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solkanar512 posted:

Because people use the term "FrankenFood" unironically.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Because despite much hand-wringing nobody really gives a poo poo what happens to people who live on the other side of the world. Especially when it involves a complicated mess of economic conditions that can't adequately be explained in 30 seconds by a talking head. Nobody really gives a poo poo about the real problem, only the fake problem, until someone points out they're an idiot and then they fall back on "But companies are mean to poor people!"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've said this in this thread before, the way that Monsanto and other big agro corporations want people to farm is not sustainable. It takes 10 calories (from petroleum) to grow and ship every calorie we eat. We've alredy hit big oil. That's known as an [b]unsustanaible practice[\b].

Also, apparently Monsanto hired Blackwater as their intel branch?

m.dailykos.com/story/2010/10/16/910986/-Monsanto-Xe

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I've said this in this thread before, the way that Monsanto and other big agro corporations want people to farm is not sustainable. It takes 10 calories (from petroleum) to grow and ship every calorie we eat. We've alredy hit big oil. That's known as an [b]unsustanaible practice[\b].

This is also true of a lot of 'organic' stuff, though. It's nothing to do with the unscientific reasons people rant about Monsanto's evil.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Obdicut posted:

This is also true of a lot of 'organic' stuff, though. It's nothing to do with the unscientific reasons people rant about Monsanto's evil.
Moreover, I don't imagine that Monsanto gives much of a drat whether you use petrochemical fertilizers or cow dung, or if you bring the crops in with diesel trucks or by hand. It doesn't particularly relate to what they're actually selling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I've said this in this thread before, the way that Monsanto and other big agro corporations want people to farm is not sustainable. It takes 10 calories (from petroleum) to grow and ship every calorie we eat. We've alredy hit big oil. That's known as an unsustanaible practice.

Now show how other alternative ways of farming will use less energy than supar ebil :moreevil:BIG AGRO!!!:moreevil:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Or more simply, show why using more energy (that we can't eat) to produce energy (that we can eat) matters at all. This isn't a power plant - you expect energetic loss in the process of converting energy from less useful to more useful forms.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kalman posted:

Or more simply, show why using more energy (that we can't eat) to produce energy (that we can eat) matters at all. This isn't a power plant - you expect energetic loss in the process of converting energy from less useful to more useful forms.

Actually you also expect losses in converting less useful energy into electricity, because that's how thermodynamics work :eng101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Just always expect losses, because the universe hates us and wants us to die.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Now show how other alternative ways of farming will use less energy than supar ebil :moreevil:BIG AGRO!!!:moreevil:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=permaculture

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Also uses more energy than it produces.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Most of the permaculture techniques I've heard of would be way too labor-intensive to be feasible for mainstream food production.

At least, assuming the labor is done by humans:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jan/09/robots-farm-future

I've even heard proposals for robots to kill pests by shooting them with lasers, avoiding the need for pesticides.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

But it is sustainable .

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

But it is sustainable .

What exactly is the relative energy consumption between the two, and at what point does sustainability become an issue? I'm not googling poo poo that you are trying to use as a point without providing evidence.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Kalman posted:

As opposed to farming methods which do break the laws of thermodynamics.

joeburz posted:

I'm not googling poo poo

I too am proud of my ignorance and lack of desire to do basic research regarding the topics I debate.

joeburz posted:

All googling about permaculture has turned up is this mystical form of agriculture that is great because it is sustainable but it's sustainable by virtue of being called permaculture. It's not my duty to try and provide any backing of this person's claims which, so far in this thread, lack any compelling evidence in their support.

Well, "Permaculture" doesn't have the kind of definition you're asking for because it doesn't refer to one thing. The goal is to create a "permanent" "agriculture" ie a sustainable one. It's not so much a group of methods as much as it is a different philosophy to approach agriculture with.

The point being that there are ways to reduce the amount of fossil fuel we use in farming. Most of the methods I've seen involve a lot more human labor fwiw.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 13, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

down with slavery posted:

As opposed to farming methods which do break the laws of thermodynamics.

I too am proud of my ignorance and lack of desire to do basic research regarding the topics I debate.

All googling about permaculture has turned up is this mystical form of agriculture that is great because it is sustainable but it's sustainable by virtue of being called permaculture. It's not my duty to try and provide any backing of this person's claims which, so far in this thread, lack any compelling evidence in their support.

down with slavery posted:

Well, "Permaculture" doesn't have the kind of definition you're asking for because it doesn't refer to one thing. The goal is to create a "permanent" "agriculture" ie a sustainable one. It's not so much a group of methods as much as it is a different philosophy to approach agriculture with.

The point being that there are ways to reduce the amount of fossil fuel we use in farming. Most of the methods I've seen involve a lot more human labor fwiw.

Well this sounds like a perfect opportunity for one to present and explain one or more of these methods, isn't it now?

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 13, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

But it is sustainable .

Why is it more sustainable than big agriculture, and what does that sustainability have to do with the 10 calories in:1 calorie out ratio? It's cited as if it matters, when in reality all it means is "yes, I do obey the laws of thermodynamics".

Because, you know, unless there's an actual connection, that ratio sure seems like an attempt to use Numbers to back up a claim where those numbers actually do not support the claim.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

what does that sustainability have to do with the 10 calories in:1 calorie out ratio? It's cited as if it matters, when in reality all it means is "yes, I do obey the laws of thermodynamics".

Because, you know, unless there's an actual connection, that ratio sure seems like an attempt to use Numbers to back up a claim where those numbers actually do not support the claim.

Those 10 calories are provided by petroleum, which is a limited resource. We will run out of petroleum soon. Most of the world's farming relies on fertilizers and pesticides from petroleum. If there is no petroleum, there will be no farming. If there is no farming, there will be no food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

e: http://permaculture.org.au/2012/06/...-the-ground-up/

white sauce fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Those 10 calories are provided by petroleum, which is a limited resource. We will run out of petroleum soon. Most of the world's farming relies on fertilizers and pesticides from petroleum. If there is no petroleum, there will be no farming. If there is no farming, there will be no food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

You can eliminate reliance on pesticides using GMOs, but those are :siren: FRANKENFOODS :siren: .

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Seriously, though, our current agricultural model is mad dependent on petroleum products. We should legit start funding and experimenting with urban agriculture like Cuba did during their Special Period. Monstanto and its ilk have a vested interest in maintaining our food production systems like they are, which is a bad thing and only going to get worse as oil gets more and more expensive.

It's got nothing to do with frankenfoods, but it's a fairly good example of how all corporations are bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

You can eliminate reliance on pesticides using GMOs, but those are :siren: FRANKENFOODS :siren: .

I have no issue with genetic engineering of organisms.

• Locked thread