Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm glad they moved away from Nick Miller, loser to Nick Miller does what he wants to be happy. Way to validate my life choices show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

I'm glad they moved away from Nick Miller, loser to Nick Miller does what he wants to be happy. Way to validate my life choices show.

They also made him seem way more competent at his job with his handling of Kevin '97 (hiding his keys and tea water) and by showing how comparably terrible Cece is at bar-tending tricks. In retrospect it definitely seems like it was on the agenda to make Nick seem like less of a loser.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Well, I'm glad I finally started watching this show. Schmidt is the best and so lovably despicable 95% of the time.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Guy A. Person posted:

They also made him seem way more competent at his job with his handling of Kevin '97 (hiding his keys and tea water) and by showing how comparably terrible Cece is at bar-tending tricks. In retrospect it definitely seems like it was on the agenda to make Nick seem like less of a loser.

Counterpoint. Doesn't realize tea and water is tea.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Postal Parcel posted:

Also, Cece really tanned growing up.

She looked nothing like the Hannah Simone Muchmusic VJ of the 90s. But neither does actual Hannah really.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone know what the song at the end was?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

MondayHotDog posted:

Anyone know what the song at the end was?

It's the name of the episode, by the Latin singer Manna.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

"GREAT NICKNAME! YOU TWO HIGH FIVE!"

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Skychrono posted:

It's the name of the episode, by the Latin singer Manna.

The band Man :eng101:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Fun episode, I liked the background stories. But, it was a hard episode to watch as a teacher. Jess, don't go to the dark side! No teacher who actually wanted to be a teacher would be an admin.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Tupping Liberty posted:

Fun episode, I liked the background stories. But, it was a hard episode to watch as a teacher. Jess, don't go to the dark side! No teacher who actually wanted to be a teacher would be an admin.

10-to-1 odds that she actually applies for the job right now and the show treats it just like a workplace promotion, rather than something you have to go back to school for 1-2 years to actually be qualified.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I don't know, I've met people who've worked as teachers in low-income districts who did this exact thing. They went into teaching to teach, then flipped out over the extreme bureaucratic negligence and became admins to try and rectify it.

What I *don't* buy is that Nick passed the CA bar exam despite dropping out of law school and giving up all ambition for law. The bar sounds crazy difficult for people who actually *do* want to become lawyers. It's like those shows/movies set in high schools where slacker characters surprise everyone by getting into Princeton or Yale. No, they didn't. Not because they're not smart, but because they didn't play the admissions game

SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS SITCOM, apparently.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
No anger allowed in here. This thread is so chill and absent of drama I want to call it Tim Duncan.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xealot posted:

I don't know, I've met people who've worked as teachers in low-income districts who did this exact thing. They went into teaching to teach, then flipped out over the extreme bureaucratic negligence and became admins to try and rectify it.

What I *don't* buy is that Nick passed the CA bar exam despite dropping out of law school and giving up all ambition for law. The bar sounds crazy difficult for people who actually *do* want to become lawyers. It's like those shows/movies set in high schools where slacker characters surprise everyone by getting into Princeton or Yale. No, they didn't. Not because they're not smart, but because they didn't play the admissions game

Me neither. The entire premise was that he dropped out of law school right before graduation because of his break-up, which was why he was the sort of the Charlie of the gang.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

Well the Bar (per my understanding, anyways) is just a test, albeit a really hard one. It makes sense that, if you drop out right before graduation, you'd know enough to be able to pass, and he can still take a Bar Review course without being in law school (because they're a third party thing). It's less like a high school slacker getting into Harvard and more like a high school slacker getting a really good score on their SAT/ACT test.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
California doesn't require you to graduate from an accredited law school to sit for their bar exam. Far bigger fuckups than Nick take it. And depending on how they apply themselves during a review course, some of them pass.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElwoodCuse posted:

California doesn't require you to graduate from an accredited law school to sit for their bar exam. Far bigger fuckups than Nick take it. And depending on how they apply themselves during a review course, some of them pass.

So I could become a lawyer in California?

I have a plane ticket to buy.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
You should all see Catch Me If You Can. Great movie. Related to this conversation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I could become a lawyer in California?

I have a plane ticket to buy.

Highest rate of failures in the country as well, like 3 out of 10 pass the thing, which sucks because studying for it should at least eat up a few months of your life, and actually taking it takes a pretty penny.

So...good luck?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Highest rate of failures in the country as well, like 3 out of 10 pass the thing, which sucks because studying for it should at least eat up a few months of your life, and actually taking it takes a pretty penny.

So...good luck?

Yeah, Nick being able to pass the CA bar exam means he'd be able to practice in any state easily, so the whole "I'm happy serving working at a bar long term" makes less sense. Him being a broken and damaged human being who fell apart after a serious break-up and is stuck in that state unwilling to change is better then "super genius lawyer who tends bar and is happy (but really not)"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Nick Miller, Attorney at Law, would probably be about as successful as Season 5 Jeff Winger or Lionel Hutz

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Even if it is a screw up, the show has had way worse screw ups. Like when they all fell asleep at the beach, and caught the sunrise over the water in the morning. In California.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

pentyne posted:

Yeah, Nick being able to pass the CA bar exam means he'd be able to practice in any state easily, so the whole "I'm happy serving working at a bar long term" makes less sense. Him being a broken and damaged human being who fell apart after a serious break-up and is stuck in that state unwilling to change is better then "super genius lawyer who tends bar and is happy (but really not)"

A big part of the California bar's high failure rate has to do with 1.) the fact that there are roughly a hundred thousand unaccredited law schools in California such as the "People's College of Law" and 2.) you don't even have to go to law school to sit for the Cali bar. It's one of the harder bars in the country but reputable schools (such as UCLA, which is a good school but not a top school) have 80%+ pass rates.

By no means does passing the Cali bar make you a genius. Or even that smart. Smart people don't go to law school

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Pistons of Detroit game.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nick is completely right in every way :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Like in Hamlet, the McCalls and the... Hamsters

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
But I need my vitamin D :(

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Vitamin D? But Nick doesn't begin with a "D".... oh

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Boob, boob, vagina, buttcheek, buttcheek.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Sexy Nick is hilarious.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Wow, Nick has some pale legs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I love this couple.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The Pistons are breaking apart Jess/Nick the way that Schmidt never could.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Analog selfies.

EDIT: Nick on technology, wow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A mouse rat?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Nick is the best. :corsair:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You got me this time, Hebrew

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Coach's laugh!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wanna take you! Respectfully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

PaganGoatPants posted:

Boob, boob, vagina, buttcheek, buttcheek.

Vagina, butcheek, boob, buttcheek, boob.

• Locked thread