Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

I was talking about The End of the Whole Mess. What did you think I was talking about?

It. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

rypakal posted:

And it doesn't come up later. She doesn't even remember it when she's with Bill. It has no bearing on the future.

That scene has always been right up there with Susan Norton as a single thing which almost killed an otherwise excellent book because it was so pants-on-the-head.

You can almost tell when he thought it up and then went back a few manuscript pages and was like "Bev couldn't stop thinking about the grackles for a second how weird and inexplicable"

IIRC previously that technique was used to bring in stuff when a Loser remembers something about IT. Not this time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You can almost tell when he thought it up and then went back a few manuscript pages and was like "Bev couldn't stop thinking about the grackles for a second how weird and inexplicable"

IIRC previously that technique was used to bring in stuff when a Loser remembers something about IT. Not this time.

My guess is that he wanted to tie it to her father's weird relationship to her entering puberty and how as an abuser he was very territorial over her, especially since it came after her father as IT was all trying to "examine" her but that didn't work well at all, and if anything it is good that it is so loosely connected to the rest of the story, because it is indeed very out of tune with the rest of the book.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rypakal posted:

And it doesn't come up later. She doesn't even remember it when she's with Bill.

Yes she does:

quote:

“All of you?” she cried suddenly, her eyes widening, stunned. He did pull back and out of her this time, but in the sudden shock of the revelation, she barely felt him go. “What? Beverly? A-Are you all r—” “All of you? I made love to all of you?”

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
So I finally hit the part that always bugged me in It. And now I get to bitch about it to strangers on the internet.

Spoilers for towards the end

Tom Rogan gets his point of view chapter when he dreams he is Henry. He watches Henry kill his own dad, imagining it is him doing it. And mentions how this can't be right, because "His father had died when he was in the third grade. well...maybe 'died' wasn't such a good word. maybe 'committed suicide' was actually the truth. Ralph Rogan had made himself a gin and lye cocktail. One for the road, you might say."
My problem is that in his and Bev's intro, he had almost the exact same line. "Ralph Rogan had died-well 'died' was maybe not such a good word. maybe 'committed suicide' would have been a better was to put it, since he had poured himself generous quanity of lye into a tumbler of gin and quaffed this devil's brew while sitting on the bathroom hopper."

Now, granted that was 850 pages ago, but it seems like such a easy editing catch. It bugs the hell out of me.

On an unrelated note, apparently you can't put quotes into spoiler text. Good to know.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I finished a few days ago. Solid experience, especially because I decided just to skip the sewer sex. I mean, what the gently caress :barf:. I really enjoyed some of the more grotesque forms that IT took in the service of terrifying children. I couldn't really take the part where IT was offering to give Eddie a blowjob too seriously, though. I read it, and started picturing Randy Quaid doing his best Cousin Eddie trying to grub some money.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
Sorry for the drive-by post but I have a few bucks left on an Amazon gift card and I want to get a newer Stephen King paperback. The last book I read was The Dome and I really enjoyed it. What has been published since then that is a must-read (as a diehard fan preferably) that is also in paperback?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

11/22/63 is the best thing king has written since his accident. Is it in paperback yet?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It totally is. A huge, intimidating paperback.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am really glad I switched to ebooks years ago. No more having to lug around heavy rear end books that fall apart too easily, like King paperbacks are known to do.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I finished It and, after reading three other non-King books I just started Bag of Bones for the 2nd time and already noticed the protagonist's wife was reading a book by William Denbrough; and just now the protagonist (a novelist, what a surprise) is having a dream about approaching his summer house but he's afraid to because there might be "even one of William Denbrough's famous Creatures From Beyond the Universe, now hiding under the porch and watching me approach with glittering, pus-rimmed eyes."

I suppose that explains what King thinks the origin of It is. What's striking to me though is, for all the talk about King spreading the Dark Tower throughout his works, he does so far more with Derry and its inhabitants.

It's kind of neat to be re-reading a lot of his stuff and noticing this kind of thing;, I may read Cujo next just for the hahas, because I've only read it once.

edit: Bag of Bones also has one of King's wittiest lines, imo: when talking to his agent about the Fall book lists he says "As the late Jim Croce so wisely observed, you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Mary Higgins Clark."

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 8, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Pheeets posted:

I suppose that explains what King thinks the origin of It is. What's striking to me though is, for all the talk about King spreading the Dark Tower throughout his works, he does so far more with Derry and its inhabitants.

edit: Bag of Bones also has one of King's wittiest lines, imo: when talking to his agent about the Fall book lists he says "As the late Jim Croce so wisely observed, you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Mary Higgins Clark."

Derry simply became his Castle Rock after he destroyed Castle Rock.

Bag of Bones is one of his best written (or dare I say best edited) books of his career. Following on the Green Mile and his Female Protagonist Trilogy, which I think gave him a creative reboot, he just seemed to have new life. Although the story isn't all that memorable and its ending is typical King, the craft of the book is excellent.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I always thought that Derry was a far more interesting town-creation than Castle Rock, to be honest. I've already written my treatise on Derry more or less so I won't go back to it all, but as a sort of even-more-evil analog to Lewiston (and Bangor somewhat) it's just a way more interesting place, at least as portrayed in It. I've spent my whole life in Maine and Derry, as a creation, captures something really dark and scary about those of us who live in prosperous Southern Maine prefer to ignore as much as humanly possible.

Castle Rock, on the other hand, felt a little more cartoony to me and was literally like, "AnyTown, Maine". There are dozens of towns in Maine that "could" be Castle Rock. Though personally I always used Bridgton as a mental model for the town. Which is kind of funny since he set "The Mist" literally in Bridgton, if memory serves.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The scene in Bag of Bones where the protagonist is nearly done in by rocks thrown by a very old woman while her husband on a scooter(?) cackles evilly I thought was gonna give me some kind of fit from how perfectly zany-yet-scary it was.

Joe Hill must've liked that part too because there's a very similar escape in NOS4A2.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

kaworu posted:

I always thought that Derry was a far more interesting town-creation than Castle Rock, to be honest. I've already written my treatise on Derry more or less so I won't go back to it all, but as a sort of even-more-evil analog to Lewiston (and Bangor somewhat) it's just a way more interesting place, at least as portrayed in It. I've spent my whole life in Maine and Derry, as a creation, captures something really dark and scary about those of us who live in prosperous Southern Maine prefer to ignore as much as humanly possible.

Castle Rock, on the other hand, felt a little more cartoony to me and was literally like, "AnyTown, Maine". There are dozens of towns in Maine that "could" be Castle Rock. Though personally I always used Bridgton as a mental model for the town. Which is kind of funny since he set "The Mist" literally in Bridgton, if memory serves.

Much as I like the Castle Rock stories, Derry will always be more in interesting in and of itself.

Also, I just realized that It is pretty much a book-length expansion on something he very briefly covered in Danse Macabre, especially the bit when it explains how Stanley was "offended" more than "scared".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What were the defining features of Castle Rock? I've seen the movie version of Needful Things but otherwise I don't think I've come across any material set in Castle Rock. Derry is a very distinctive setting and one of the coolest parts of reading 'IT' is that it's very much a novel where the location becomes a major character in its own right (almost literally in this case given that Pennywise essentially IS Derry). Are there any comparable characterizations of Castle Rock? Does King ever go into detail on why Castle Rock is distinctive or is it just supposed to be a generic stand in for small town Maine?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Derry is the "cities" and "large towns" of Maine, which aren't very big in comparison to cities in most states. Castle Rock is indeed a small town, but importantly its an inland small town rather than a coastal one. There's a map on Stephen King's official website that puts up locations for most of his fictional Maine towns, and it has it near a real town called Woodstock, ME, so he intends it to be that kind of area.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Haha. Woodstock is about 25-30 miles north of Bridgton - I was right! All these towns we would drive through on our way to go skiing were in that region - you've got other towns like South Paris, Waterford, Harrison, etc which could all be dead ringers for Castle Rock in my humble opinion. The further north/further from Portland you go the poorer it gets, generally speaking, though,

But yeah, this region is very much inland Maine near the NH border. Coastal Maine is very different. Oxford County is very poor and totally what I would consider as "Stephen King Country".

kaworu fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's the map that was on his site, by the way:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Helsing posted:

What were the defining features of Castle Rock?

Just off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is the gazebo in the park. At least, I think that was in Castle Rock.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Helsing posted:

What were the defining features of Castle Rock? I've seen the movie version of Needful Things but otherwise I don't think I've come across any material set in Castle Rock. Derry is a very distinctive setting and one of the coolest parts of reading 'IT' is that it's very much a novel where the location becomes a major character in its own right (almost literally in this case given that Pennywise essentially IS Derry). Are there any comparable characterizations of Castle Rock? Does King ever go into detail on why Castle Rock is distinctive or is it just supposed to be a generic stand in for small town Maine?

Cujo, The Dead Zone, and a bunch of short fiction. In many stories its just a place he mentiones (just like Derry is sometimes now just a place someone is from).

Then he destroyed it and Derry kept popping up, starting with Insomnia.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

rypakal posted:

Then he destroyed it and Derry kept popping up, starting with Insomnia.

In Bag of Bones, Mike Noonan has coffee with Ralph Roberts from Insomnia, and Ralph asks him if he's getting enough sleep. Plus Joe Wyzer, the pharmacist from Insomnia makes an appearance too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Soysaucebeast posted:

It totally is. A huge, intimidating paperback.

When I got it from the library, the only version available was the large print one. Coulda killed a horse with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

When I got it from the library, the only version available was the large print one. Coulda killed a horse with it.

I read the large print version of Duma Key from the library, that was a weird way to read a book.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I bought Doctor Sleep today. Going to bed early because I can't wait to get into it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Doctor Sleep is about a man struggling with addiction and ISN'T wooo The Shining is back wooo right? (The woooo is ghost noises)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

juliuspringle posted:

Doctor Sleep is about a man struggling with addiction and ISN'T wooo The Shining is back wooo right? (The woooo is ghost noises)

Largely, yes, but it also deals with the shine and those who have it and prey upon those who have it.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Doctor Sleep was a disappointment. It left so little impression on me, all I remember is RVs with old people and some sort of argument at the end. It didn't really feel like it was written by the same person who wrote The Shining.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pheeets posted:

Doctor Sleep was a disappointment. It left so little impression on me, all I remember is RVs with old people and some sort of argument at the end. It didn't really feel like it was written by the same person who wrote The Shining.

It really wasn't, though. People change a hell of a lot in 35 years even if they aren't run over by a van. King is in a very different mental place than he was back then and probably can't channel that subconscious strain of addictive insanity that drove Jack like he used to because, y'know, he no longer considers filling his trash can with beer and blow to be an essential part of writing.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Jazerus posted:

It really wasn't, though. People change a hell of a lot in 35 years even if they aren't run over by a van. King is in a very different mental place than he was back then and probably can't channel that subconscious strain of addictive insanity that drove Jack like he used to because, y'know, he no longer considers filling his trash can with beer and blow to be an essential part of writing.

Sure, I realize he's not the same as he was, who is? And I did think about qualifying that in my post, that he doesn't sound like the same writer. It seemed almost as if he had been nagged into writing it against his will, it sounded that forced. Maybe it is as you say, that he can't channel that kind of insanity any more, but he's written other books recently that definitely sound like Stephen King, most notably, to me, 11/222/63. Doctor Sleep sounded more like Joe Hill, if that makes any sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Sleep is kind of weird because while the bad guys are definitely bad they're also a lot weaker than the good guys. Whenever Abra and Dan team up they basically smash those fuckers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pheeets posted:

11/222/63

What happened on June 9, 1964? :iiam:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What happened on June 9, 1964? :iiam:

Ahaha good catch, that's what I get for sleep-writing.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What's the consensus on Doctor Sleep stuff? I haven't found any true knots to his previous works (besides the obvious Shining stuff) but I have noticed a few tangential relations to some of his other books, Is that stuff ok to say or do I need to learn how to spoiler it?

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I recently read The Dead Zone and just now saw the movie is on tv which I didn't know existed. I definitely did not picture Johnny as anything like Christopher Walken. Is this movie any good by standards of King adaptations?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Joose Caboose posted:

I recently read The Dead Zone and just now saw the movie is on tv which I didn't know existed. I definitely did not picture Johnny as anything like Christopher Walken. Is this movie any good by standards of King adaptations?

That movie is a cultural landmark. But no it's not good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Joose Caboose posted:

It's mid-tier Cronenberg and is nowhere as good as the book but it's not a bad movie. Some of his visions (the burning apartment, the kids falling through the ice) are pretty striking and it has Walken at that point where he was weird without descending into full-on self-parody; I seriously can't imagine anybody else delivering lines like "THE ICE...IS GONNA BREAK!" in quite the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhFIwkbtJI

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Joose Caboose posted:

I found it dull but lots and lots of people seem to really like it for whatever reason. By Stephen King adaptation standards I suppose it's okay but it's a lot worse than the book IMO.

e: yeah "mid-tier Cronenberg" is a good way to put it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's mid-tier Cronenberg and is nowhere as good as the book but it's not a bad movie. Some of his visions (the burning apartment, the kids falling through the ice) are pretty striking and it has Walken at that point where he was weird without descending into full-on self-parody; I seriously can't imagine anybody else delivering lines like "THE ICE...IS GONNA BREAK!" in quite the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLhFIwkbtJI

The SNL Parody is a million times better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finished Doctor Sleep yesterday and was anyone else fooled by the Danny death fakeout? I was worried that King really was going to kill him off.