Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Shageletic posted:

Side-stepping the hell out of this conversation, but what good shows are back from the winter break. Other than New Girl?

Brooklyn 99 is back, as well as Psych and @Midnight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Rarity posted:

Pretty Little Liars does this as well and does it much better

This is true but it's also heavy on the sexual predator angle so it's sort of a mixed bag.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

Side-stepping the hell out of this conversation, but what good shows are back from the winter break. Other than New Girl?

Brooklyn 99, @Midnight, Community, Person of Interest, Hannibal [edit: Hannibal is back February 28th, so not that soon, actually] and Sherlock.

[Edit: beaten on two shows, but they bear repeating]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
When does Hannibal come back???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
February 28th, iirc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Oh that's not really soon.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my bad, for some reason I read the date as January 28th. Which in retrospect makes no sense because the 28th is a tuesday.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shageletic posted:

Raising Hope and Cougar Town are back, if that's the kind of thing you're into. Tomorrow we get Shameless and House of Lies. I think that True Detective starts soon, which looks quite promising.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sophia posted:

This is true but it's also heavy on the sexual predator angle so it's sort of a mixed bag.

Yeah but it's universally acknowledged as the only bad aspect of the show so that's something!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, I forgot that Archer's back on Monday. Parks and Rec is back too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Agents of SHIELD is ba...

I'll get my coat.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Rarity posted:

Agents of SHIELD is ba...

I'll get my coat.
Last episode was nice...

Still have room in that cab ?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Rarity posted:

Pretty Little Liars does this as well and does it much better

Why would you watch a show thats for little girls?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Shageletic posted:

...Mindy? Community too. Enlisted's a new one, and good too. So catch it while you can, because it will most likely not be back for another season.

Also, pretty much everyone will be back come next week.

Proposition Joe posted:

:mlp::suicide:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Proposition Joe posted:

It's aimed at the same age group as shows like Arrow, though (teens and young adults), so that's a stupid question to ask.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Pretty Little Liars = Desperate Housewives: Teen Edition.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Only Desperate Housewives was never a good show.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Pretty Little Liars suffers from loooong seasons. I feel like it would be better if the pacing were tighter or seasons shorter. As much as I didn't mind waiting an entire 22 episode span to find out who A is the first time, the fact that I had that to look forward to two more times just... Put me off it a little. Half the season is completely irrelevant by the time it ends anyway, so why not cut it out and just leave the good stuff?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

VorpalBunny posted:

We actually started going to that racetrack out of morbid curiosity after watching the pilot for Luck. I had no idea horse racing was still a thing, and now I love it. Thanks HBO!

At first, I was baffled that someone was unaware that horseracing wasn't still a thing. Then I remembered that some people are not near horse country :cheeky:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was in NYC last week visiting friends so I'm pretty sure that makes me the authority on NYC race relations, and I didn't interact with a single black person. :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Proposition Joe posted:

Yes, a show about murderers and stalkers is aimed at little girls.

:psyduck:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rarity posted:

Oh so it's like Twilight.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

It's funny how nobody complains about boys watching The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones but we've had multiple arguments about how Pretty Little Liars is inappropriate for girls because it features things like, gasp, murder!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

VDay posted:

Oh so it's like Twilight.

But for the fact that they don't romanticize it at all, and it's still a bad thing. Twilight puts Edward's behavior as sweet and romantic, PLL shows it for what it is, creepy. Especially with the revelation that (big spoiler from this season) Ezra is big A. That puts a really dark tinge on a pretty important relationship in the series.

Also, I remember reading somewhere (likely in this forum) the notion that PLL is the most feminist show on TV, and honestly, I'm having difficulty coming up with a counter. Each girl acts with agency, they have conversations that don't revolve around significant others (though they have those, too, because that is an important part of their lives), they're each completely capable of handling themselves in their own ways.

Of course they all have retarded moments, but that's more to do with the fact that it's a mystery show than that they're girls.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

cool kids inc. posted:

Pretty Little Liars suffers from loooong seasons. I feel like it would be better if the pacing were tighter or seasons shorter. As much as I didn't mind waiting an entire 22 episode span to find out who A is the first time, the fact that I had that to look forward to two more times just... Put me off it a little. Half the season is completely irrelevant by the time it ends anyway, so why not cut it out and just leave the good stuff?

My counter to that would be that the stuff that happens in between the big revelations about the overarching mystery IS the good stuff. Like, who really gives a crap who A is? A is important because it provides an external motivator to drive their behavior forward and provide conflict but ultimately the why and who and where is never the most interesting thing in and of itself. What it does to the four central characters and the ancillary characters and how it changes their own complex relationships (against their will at times) is the cool stuff. Since the show is basically about how you have a life as a young person in the 21st century, when people are always watching everything you do and everything is forever thanks to social media and everyone having a video camera in their pocket all the time, I don't think watching the show for the mystery is really appreciating what it brings to the table.

Like teenagers are always giving themselves their own narrative of what their life is, like they're a character in a book, only now they're also having to see what narratives other people are putting on them and this is the most extreme example. Spencer thinks she is a driven achiever but A twists it to her being a desperate second-best. Hanna thinks she is the queen of the school but A twists her into being an attention seeker. Etc. Their own stories start to change because of it and they have to navigate it. Plus deal with all the other normal bullshit of being a teenager like can you really trust your parents, can you trust adults in general, are your friends really your friends, where do you draw the line in right and wrong, is love a real thing or is it just what you need in the moment, etc.

Obviously anyone who's heard me talk about it knows I'm crazy about the show, but it's not because the mystery is great. It could be a million episodes long and I'd probably love it more if they had story to tell about these 4 girls and their lives.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So uh, Intelligence is literally PoI with Sawyer.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 12, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

Intelligence is basically the child of Jake 2.0, John Doe, and Chuck all in one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

Critics asking questions and having opinions are what they paid to do; even if they are lovely questions and lovely opinions. People are disappointed in the Girls team because they took a chance to give viewers further insight into the show and to defend against lovely questions eloquently (something they clearly believe themselves capable of) and instead turned it into a high school pissing match.

Thank you. Exactly the point. It has nothing to do with misogyny, which is just a cheap buzzword to hide behind in order to avoid really answering questions in a meaningful way.

No matter how poorly worded a reporter's question, is it really justified to ask back "Do you have a girlfriend? Is she happy with you?"

gently caress Lena Dunham, and gently caress Judd Apatow.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Thank you. Exactly the point. It has nothing to do with misogyny, which is just a cheap buzzword to hide behind in order to avoid really answering questions in a meaningful way.

Yeah, you have absolutely no right to complain when you're told that you like the sex scenes in Game of Thrones better because you know they're there to titillate. (EDIT: That may not be what he was saying, but the question was worded poorly enough that it was VERY EASY to interpret it that way.)

I know you hate Girls, I trust your reasons are legit, and I agree that the press conference was poorly handled, but let's not use the existence of glaring problems to paper over the existence of other glaring problems.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 12, 2014

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

misogyny, which is just a cheap buzzword to hide behind in order to avoid really answering questions in a meaningful way.

:frogout::frogout::frogout::frogout:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

No matter how poorly worded a reporter's question, is it really justified to ask back "Do you have a girlfriend? Is she happy with you?"

Ok, I've been going over this in my head.
Is this question supposed to mean "You're not so hot yourself, so shut up" or something else?
Also, the other person's "Well she must be a misogynist," statement also didn't make sense to me. Letting a man walk all over you isn't necessarily misogyny, it might be dependency. This is all unless I'm the idiot or she meant that your girlfriend must be a misandrist.

As an aside, my first thought was really, "If he had said he was gay, would that have changed anything or would Judd have said, you still can't comment on women's bodies?"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

[Edit: \/\/\/ oh okay, nm then]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 12, 2014

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

lelandjs posted:

sold.

It's actually Chuck with Sawyer. Don't let Lyman fool you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, you have absolutely no right to complain when you're told that you like the sex scenes in Game of Thrones better because you know they're there to titillate. (EDIT: That may not be what he was saying, but the question was worded poorly enough that it was VERY EASY to interpret it that way.)

I'm not defending anything the reporter said, I'm laughing at how completely unprofessional Dunham and Apatow's responses were.

One of my favorite bands ever is A Silver Mt. Zion. They are composed of members of Godspeed You! Black Emperor, a band that was broken up from 2001 until 2012. At a concert in 2006, someone yelled "WHEN IS GODSPEED GETTING BACK TOGETHER?!" Efrim Menuck, the lead musician in both bands, responded with "I don't know, when are you getting back together with your girlfriend?"

It was an unprofessional, rear end in a top hat thing to say - but in that kind of informal environment, it was also hilarious. So I can appreciate artists going off the cuff, but there is a line.

quote:

I know you hate Girls, I trust your reasons are legit, and I agree that the press conference was poorly handled, but let's not use the existence of glaring problems to paper over the existence of other glaring problems.

I don't hate Girls, I just don't like it. Despite the way I type sometimes, I actually try not to actually "hate" anything, because as Rollins says, "To hate someone is giving them too much of yourself".

The press conference was poorly handled. We agree.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

A poorly worded, but probably not truly misogynist, question was asked. Why someone who's been in the business as long as Apatow couldn't handle it, or Dunham who has had years of criticism about her show, or anyone should use the term "rage spiral", is quite beyond me.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

precision posted:

A poorly worded, but probably not truly misogynist, question was asked. Why someone who's been in the business as long as Apatow couldn't handle it, or Dunham who has had years of criticism about her show, or anyone should use the term "rage spiral", is quite beyond me.

You still don't get to call misogyny a cheap buzzword.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I don't hate Girls, I just don't like it. Despite the way I type sometimes, I actually try not to actually "hate" anything, because as Rollins says, "To hate someone is giving them too much of yourself".

Yeah, you don't get to call misogyny a cheap buzzword and you don't get to drop that Henry Rollins quote after saying

precision posted:

gently caress Lena Dunham, and gently caress Judd Apatow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You still don't get to call misogyny a cheap buzzword.

I'm sorry I was unclear. I did not mean it always is. Of course real misogyny exists. I've been around long enough that I think one can gather that from my post history.

I was referring to using it as a means of avoiding engaging someone in actual substantive discussion; in that company, "misogyny" is hardly the only word that gets thrown around as an excuse to avoid having a calm discussion.

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, you don't get to call misogyny a cheap buzzword and you don't get to drop that Henry Rollins quote after saying

Saying "gently caress Judd Apatow" isn't the same as saying "I hate Judd Apatow". I don't hate Tim and Eric, but I have no trouble saying "gently caress Tim and Eric". I don't hate Scary Movie, but I have no problem saying "gently caress Scary Movie". I disagree with Bill O'Reilly, but I have no trouble saying "gently caress Bill O'Reilly". It's shorthand for "I have concluded these people are too silly to care about".

I hope that makes things more clear.

Before I go to bed, maybe you or someone could address me in a calm, substantive matter (like I'm trying to do now) and let me know how I could have expressed myself better.

Or is this one of those cases on the Internet where, no matter how much I clarify and attempt to be explanatory, I've been judged "wrong", "terrible", "the worst" etc. and can never recover? Because you know, that's one bad habit that people on the Internet need to kick. I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that we're all friends here. If a majority wants me to, literally, :frogout:, I'll refrain from posting in TVIV any further I guess.

:shrug:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"Professional" and "unprofessional" are cheap buzzwords. Despite conventional wisdom, there are stupid questions and pointing them out and mocking them is perfectly acceptable. What response could that reporter possibly have expected to his question?

Also, Intelligence is pretty crappy and holy poo poo is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ever going to be anything other than dull as dishwater?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Slamhound posted:

is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ever going to be anything other than dull as dishwater?

I asked a friend this question who watches and is a fan of the show. She spent the next five minutes explaining how SHIELD is dull by design, largely due to Marvel something something and ABC something else something else, the gist being that SHIELD will have to suffer through two seasons of being milquetoast before anything interesting will even be allowed.

All I really took away from that is that SHIELD will almost certainly be cancelled before it gets good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Manos del Sino posted:

I asked a friend this question who watches and is a fan of the show. She spent the next five minutes explaining how SHIELD is dull by design, largely due to Marvel something something and ABC something else something else, the gist being that SHIELD will have to suffer through two seasons of being milquetoast before anything interesting will even be allowed.

All I really took away from that is that SHIELD will almost certainly be cancelled before it gets good.

It has to really really tank for ABC to shitcan it though. They've put way too much into it and the execs at Marvel and Disney are probably really resistant to getting rid of it.

• Locked thread