Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

That's a Winner's Brow right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Any good nose tackles available in round 2 or 3 for the Packers?

Doesn't need to have a dozen sacks, just has to eat 2 guys all the time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OperaMouse posted:

Any good nose tackles available in round 2 or 3 for the Packers?

Doesn't need to have a dozen sacks, just has to eat 2 guys all the time.

Daniel McCullers perhaps. 6'8" mountain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

UCF quarterback, getting a ton of buzz recently. Big arm, good size, threw for lots of yards and TDs for UCF. He looks like this but you have to look through the GIS results to get this because his girl is hot:

has anyone made a bort license plate simpsons parody image macro for him yet?

I think i saw "thinking with bortles" quipped in another thread.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Real hurthling! posted:

It wad the title of the aftermath thread.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
bortles & jameis

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Roasted Donut posted:

bortles & jameis

Nice.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

UCF quarterback, getting a ton of buzz recently. Big arm, good size, threw for lots of yards and TDs for UCF. He looks like this but you have to look through the GIS results to get this because his girl is hot:

I assume just like the scouts in Moneyball girlfriend hotness is a prime input to any war room's big board.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

Well he has a decent neckbeard tool but he's no Luck

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

This is the entire reason I want the Browns to draft Bortles. I'm cool with JFF but I really need a meme to run into the ground since Savage'd is done.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Doltos posted:

The most accurate mocks are always a day before the draft. Some even get the trades right.

Agree on the mocks, but no one gets the trades right post-2011 CBA. The number of trades in the first round has increased substantially now that a rookie pay scale makes the first 10 picks desirable again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Weebly posted:

This is the entire reason I want the Browns to draft Bortles. I'm cool with JFF but I really need a meme to run into the ground since Savage'd is done.

If that's all you care about I can tell you right now that JFF will be a hell of a lot more entertaining than a neckbeard with a funny name

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Real hurthling! posted:

I want him start and do well just to see hear a sportscaster say something about the team that drafted him having found "lightning in a Bortles."

Alternately, for him to suck so bad his games are called "aBortletions".

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Azhais posted:

Daniel McCullers perhaps. 6'8" mountain

I think you generally want a shorter NT for leverage purposes but if the dude is massive enough then whatevs

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dusseldorf posted:

I assume just like the scouts in Moneyball girlfriend hotness is a prime input to any war room's big board.

If that's a deciding factor he's going 1-1...she's put together.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

For what it's worth

quote:

"As we've said, Sam's our starting QB," Snead said Thursday, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "And maybe that's too way out of the box to take a QB that high."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311653/article/sam-bradford-locked-in-as-rams-qb-les-snead-says

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Quiet Feet posted:

I want him start and do well just to see hear a sportscaster say something about the team that drafted him having found "lightning in a Bortles."

Alternately, for him to suck so bad his games are called "aBortletions".

Would a training camp battle be called "bortles kombat"?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seaborn or Bradford?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

And then there will be a ton more and a ton more, also terribly wrong, then a couple of days before the draft the guys who have good connections start getting things right.

But honestly that's half the fun and if you want one to look at right now here's one from Sports Illustrated.

If the Rams get Clowney and Watkins then :fap:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Quandary posted:

If the Rams get Clowney and Watkins then :fap:
The Rams have two really good pass-rushers so I don't see why they wouldn't try and move down.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Seriously the Rams should trade their pick to the Redskins for 2 firsts and a 2nd

and the cycle continues

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
What are the odds that Louis Nix III falls to the second? Just saw a mock that had the Texans going Teddy at 1-1 and then Nix at 2-33; would make sense if and when Crennel is hired as defensive coordinator to get a big NT.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

bhsman posted:

What are the odds that Louis Nix III falls to the second? Just saw a mock that had the Texans going Teddy at 1-1 and then Nix at 2-33; would make sense if and when Crennel is hired as defensive coordinator to get a big NT.

Nix is thought to be the best defensive tackle in the draft (right now) and is a massive 6'2" 345lbs. It would take Terrance Cody levels of laziness in this offseason to get him to drop that far I believe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

b0ng posted:

Nix is thought to be the best defensive tackle in the draft (right now) and is a massive 6'2" 345lbs. It would take Terrance Cody levels of laziness in this offseason to get him to drop that far I believe.

If for some reason his knee doesn't respond like it should (or if it's worse than we're being led to believe somehow) I could see him falling quite a ways, but yeah I wouldn't really expect that to happen.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Febreeze posted:

Seriously the Rams should trade their pick to the Redskins for 2 firsts and a 2nd

and the cycle continues

The sign of a good GM is how many picks they can fleece from idiot teams.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Agree on the mocks, but no one gets the trades right post-2011 CBA. The number of trades in the first round has increased substantially now that a rookie pay scale makes the first 10 picks desirable again.

It does seem like every team that's traded away picks to move up gets hosed for it. Teams seem to be overvaluing a higher pick consistently.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Parmesan Basil posted:

The sign of a good GM is how many picks they can fleece from idiot teams.

I wonder how badly Masai Ujiri would clean up in the NFL

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MJBuddy posted:

It does seem like every team that's traded away picks to move up gets hosed for it. Teams seem to be overvaluing a higher pick consistently.

Without taking the players that got drafted into context, the Dolphins got a steal to trade up for the 3rd pick last year. I wonder how that ties in with valuation for other top 3 picks traded throughout the years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

The Falcons

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

The Falcons

They reaped some of the fallout for that this year. That team got old and full of udfa in a hurry.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MJBuddy posted:

Yeah, trading away draft picks is a very, very dangerous thing to do. With the cap the way it is and the league as competitive as it is you need to produce 2-3 starters and one good player from each draft to be effective and it is REALLY hard to do that without a volume of picks.

I think that the statistics for this sort of thing are just starting to emerge but I'm pretty confident as they do, it will clearly show that 1) there is next to no difference in how well or poorly teams draft over time and 2) the only way to build depth is through the draft.

That being said if you think a guy will put you over the top and win the SB...maybe. But that is a huge gamble.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
See the Falcons. Julio Jones was probably a gamble worth going all in for, but they fell short last year, and this year their lack of depth was evident.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Not that it matters, the Falcons probably would have drafted more horrible line players with those picks anyway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Anyone have good write ups on receivers in the late first range?>

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

Anyone have good write ups on receivers in the late first range?>

If you feel like spending a decent half hour or so watching Youtube videos, DraftBreakdown has the hookups. CBS Sports' draft coverage is my favorite for writeups, I've included them where applicable but they're not fully fleshed out for everyone yet. They'll probably start trickling out in more frequency after the Senior Bowl and combine.

If we accept that Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, and Marqise Lee will all be off the board before the Panthers pick, the generally agreed upon next tier is:

Allen Robinson, Penn State

Dane Brugler posted:

STRENGTHS: Fluid and flexible athlete for his larger frame with room to get stronger. Deceiving acceleration with sharp cuts to be a dangerous catch-and-go pass catcher. Physical ballcarrier with balance and body strength to shake off defenders and pick up chunks of yards after contact.
Does a nice job working back to the ball and finding soft spots in zones. Works well in traffic and tight areas to fight for the ball and win jump-ball situations. Uses his hands to fight through the jam and create room to work. Tough and won't shy from contact. Large catching radius with a good vertical to attack the ball. Willing blocker in run support.

Extremely productive the past two seasons, setting several single-season school and Big Ten records and finishing with a conference-best 97 catches and 1,432 yards in 2013.

WEAKNESSES: Average vertical speed. Upright route-runner and needs to tighten his footwork in/out of his breaks - will tip off defenders to his intended path and needs to better sell and deceive his patterns. Plays rushed at times and needs to stay under control through the snap, catch and whistle.

Focus will run hot/cold at times and needs to be more reliable finishing with his hands - bad habit of making unnecessary body catches. Room to improve his field and spatial awareness along the sideline. Maturity needs to be investigated after a first half suspension in the 2013 season opener for "disciplinary issues."

COMPARES TO: Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers - Robinson doesn't have elite speed, but like Boldin he is a good-sized athlete with deceiving acceleration and strength at the catch point to be both a possession target and big play-threat.

Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

Dane Brugler posted:

STRENGTHS: Special athlete with explosive feet and natural burst - springs in his legs. Fluid body control with excellent start/stop moves, open-field vision and patient hesitation to elude defenders - joystick moves with loose hips and joints. Beautiful acceleration with speed to burn - electric after the catch.
Quick hands to adjust and pluck with very good coordination to look the ball into his mitts. Quick footwork to set up his routes and fool defenders - has worked hard to fine-tune this area. Works hard to max out his frame.

Strong football character. Tough individual - has never missed a game at any level. Experience on special teams as a return man - became full-time punt returner in 2013 (6.0 average). Very productive and 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as nation's top receiver - set Oregon State and Pac-12 records for catches (128) and receiving yards (1,730), also setting new school record for touchdown catches (24).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks.

COMPARES TO: Tavon Austin, St. Louis Rams - Cooks is a slightly bigger, not as fast version of Austin due to explosive feet, open-field moves and natural athleticism that makes him a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball.

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Rob Rang posted:

Matthews, a cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice, is a better football player than he is an athlete. While he led the SEC with a gaudy 19.0 yards-per-catch average last season, he has good (but not great) build-up speed. His size allows him to be moved inside and out in Vandy's offense, allowing the team to find him favorable matchups and has very good hand-eye coordination to haul in tough passes, including one-handed catches.
Already included on the Biletnikof Award watch list as one of the country's top wide receivers, Matthews could continue his ascent up NFL draft boards with a strong junior campaign.

Davante Adams, Fresno State (only a couple of videos here, unfortunately)

Rob Rang posted:

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered and well-built wideout who consistently wins at the catch-point, demonstrating good leaping ability, timing and hand-eye coordination. Tracks the ball well over either shoulder and has strong hands to pluck the ball when turned towards the quarterback. Quickly corrals the pass and wastes no time in getting upfield, showing vision to set up blocks as well as strength to run through arm tackles and a nice stutter-step to elude.
Deceptive straight-line speed to challenge deep and shows good balance and overall body control to gain separation on comeback and out routes. Good strength and courage to take passes over the middle and isn't afraid of running through traffic. Alert blocker.

WEAKNESSES: Does not possess the elite speed that his gaudy production indicates. Possesses normal acceleration and tops out quickly. Occasionally will allow the ball to swing away from his frame as he attempts to fight for extra yardage, which can result in forced fumbles.

Cognizant blocker downfield but isn't nearly as physical in this area as he is when fighting through would-be tacklers. Production is certainly inflated by Fresno State's spread offense and because he is the favorite target of highly regarded quarterback, Derek Carr.

COMPARES TO: James Jones: Like the former San Jose State standout, Adams' eye-popping numbers have come against questionable competition. However, his similar build, deceptive vertical speed and strong hands at the catch-point should help Adams emerge as a big-play candidate in the NFL.

Odell Beckham, Jr., LSU

Dane Brugler posted:

STRENGTHS: Smooth athlete with very good acceleration to get up to top speed quickly. Terrific shake and burst out of his cuts to beat press and do something after the catch - dangerous with the ball. Excellent vision with dynamic moves. Good footwork, timing and depth in his routes to create separation and catch the ball well in stride.
Much improved hands, doing a nice job elevating and extending to snare the ball from the air - large catching radius and tracks well. Ball appears to slow down for him at the catch point, making fluid adjustments with natural body control.

Speedy and explosive return man on special teams with vision, awareness and toughness to create - two career punt returns for scores. Consistent production all three seasons at LSU with career-highs in 2013.

WEAKNESSES: Only average height and overall body strength - room to get stronger. Lacks elite speed and can be caught from behind by NFL DBs. Timid at times over the middle.

Has improved leaps and bounds catching the ball with his hands, but he will still have the occasional drop off his mitts. Missed blocking assignment and needs technique work in this area.

Room to improve his judgment and consistency fielding punts. Only 12 career receiving scores in 34 career starts.

COMPARES TO: Cecil Shorts, Jacksonville Jaguars - Beckham and Shorts are both exciting players with the ball in their hands and have shown steady improvements catching the ball over the years.

Jarvis Landry, LSU

Dane Brugler posted:

STRENGTHS: Solidly-built frame with above average toughness and body strength. Good build-up speed with smooth quickness and body control. Strong cuts and controlled momentum down the field - very good catch-and-go receiver. Good depth and lean in his routes and won't slow down in his breaks - good patience and plays off defenders to create some room to work.
Above average hands-catcher with quick reflexes and ball skills to pluck fastballs away from his body. Strong hands and very good in contested situations - uses his body and arms to out-muscle defenders. Excellent hand-eye coordination. Nice job catching the ball in stride with a little wiggle after the catch - deceiving moves, balance and toughness and not an easy guy to tackle. Fearless and resilient pass-catcher over the middle and in traffic - very determined.

Always looking for someone to block. Led LSU in catches and receiving scores the past two seasons. Good special teams coverage experience.

WEAKNESSES: Good size and speed, but limited in both areas. Only average height and length for the position. Takes a few moments to get up to his top-end speed and can be slowed in his routes by physical defenders - will struggle at times vs. press. Not naturally explosive and takes a few moments to gear down - doesn't show the burst to consistently separate with his quickness.

Will get his feet tied up at times in his patterns and has room to tighten his footwork. Strong hands, but he'll have his share of focus drops.

COMPARES TO: Eric Decker, Denver Broncos - Landry is more reliable with his hands and isn't quite as tall, but he projects similar to Decker with their movements, body control and toughness after the catch.

Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

quote:

STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level. Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner.

I like Robinson, Matthews, Landry, and Adams the most out of this group, fwiw.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I would like the Dolphins to draft ODB or Benjamin if they insist on taking a WR instead of one of the positions that they actually need help with (LB, OL, GM)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Those LSU receivers are going to make some team pretty happy.

bewbies posted:

Yeah, trading away draft picks is a very, very dangerous thing to do. With the cap the way it is and the league as competitive as it is you need to produce 2-3 starters and one good player from each draft to be effective and it is REALLY hard to do that without a volume of picks.

I think that the statistics for this sort of thing are just starting to emerge but I'm pretty confident as they do, it will clearly show that 1) there is next to no difference in how well or poorly teams draft over time and 2) the only way to build depth is through the draft.

That being said if you think a guy will put you over the top and win the SB...maybe. But that is a huge gamble.

Building depth through the draft is great because pretty much anyone who gets drafted is incredibly athletic. Those guys that fill out your practice squad, special teams, and third string that you picked up on friendly contracts over the years keep your cap from turning into hell.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with trading away draft picks for an established player. It's a trade off.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Doltos posted:

Those LSU receivers are going to make some team pretty happy.

Building depth through the draft is great because pretty much anyone who gets drafted is incredibly athletic. Those guys that fill out your practice squad, special teams, and third string that you picked up on friendly contracts over the years keep your cap from turning into hell.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with trading away draft picks for an established player. It's a trade off.

Trading for an established player is even worse IMO. With the rookie wage scale you're losing that opportunity for a relatively cheap player and instead paying most likely a premium for that established player. Unless that player is still on a team-friendly deal it's going to hurt your long term cap.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

excidium posted:

Trading for an established player is even worse IMO. With the rookie wage scale you're losing that opportunity for a relatively cheap player and instead paying most likely a premium for that established player. Unless that player is still on a team-friendly deal it's going to hurt your long term cap.

Then again who the gently caress knows if that Rookie is going to pan out.

It's Risk/Reward.

Plus Unless you have a terrible GM/Cap person. It's easy as poo poo to find cap room in the NFL. Restructure some deals, add a year and convert someone's salary to a signing bonus.

You Ideally want to draft everyone, especially a QB, as the most powerful thing in the NFL is a top flight Quarterback still on his Rookie Contract.

But the Draft is a crapshoot, So you have to weigh the pick(s)/cap space with the chance and likelihood that you will get a impact player.

Plus the Draft is weird. There could be a run on QB's or *position that you want* and you could be left holding the bag, with no options whatsoever as free agency has already happened.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'd love to see the Panthers take a WR at 28. What are the odds that Robinson or Beckham Jr. will be there?

• Locked thread