Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

icantfindaname posted:

No, they're not going to get their asses kicked. There are multiple levels of success. They may not be the 800 pound angry gorilla like PS2 era sony was but this idea that without skype and exclusive movies they will be locked out of the market completely is loving ridiculous defeatist hyperbole.

Nintendo is currently sitting at the bottom rung of success looking up into the assholes of Sony and Microsoft.

Also you're being obtuse for the sake of it. Having more experience with online content and application is better than friend codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Boiled Water posted:

Nintendo is currently sitting at the bottom rung of success looking up into the assholes of Sony and Microsoft.

Also you're being obtuse for the sake of it. Having more experience with online content and application is better than friend codes.

I don't think that's his point? I keep reading him saying Nintendo should invest in an extremely viable online infrastructure and he keeps being told that's dumb because no Skype or NFL.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't think that's his point? I keep reading him saying Nintendo should invest in an extremely viable online infrastructure and he keeps being told that's dumb because no Skype or NFL.

Nobody is saying that. Nintendo can, and should, invest in basic poo poo like an account system. That is a basic expectation of online functionality at this point. However no amount of money they throw at the problem is going to give them an online infrastructure that can compete with Microsoft and Sony. Even if they get their online infrastructure up to "acceptable," it isn't ever going to be called robust compared to their competitors. They can't just throw money at the problem and suddenly get over their problems because they are more than "it costs a lot."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 12, 2014

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

No he's being told Nintendo is terribly behind in experience in this area that it's out of their reach to throw manpower and money at. Nintendo is so far from the online experience Microsoft and Sony are providing that it'll take years if not decades to catch up.

This happens in a predominant number of industries.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yes, exactly. I'm not saying they'll be able to be kings of the market again, just that I don't see a reason why they can't compete. People are way overblowing the 'synergy' or whatever that MS and Sony get with their online. We've seen with the Xbone that people don't give a gently caress about Kinect or lovely HDMI passthrough, they just want their call of duty. I legit don't understand why Nintendo can't do something comparable to PSN and have good, regular deals on the virtual console as a counterpart to Sony's free games. The answer seems to be that people buy PS4s for free movies, which is ridiculous.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oh they can.

But with the current pace it'll take 10-ish years. If you ever need an analog for Internet glacial pace Nintendo would be the word.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Yes, exactly. I'm not saying they'll be able to be kings of the market again, just that I don't see a reason why they can't compete. People are way overblowing the 'synergy' or whatever that MS and Sony get with their online. We've seen with the Xbone that people don't give a gently caress about Kinect or lovely HDMI passthrough, they just want their call of duty. I legit don't understand why Nintendo can't do something comparable to PSN and have good, regular deals on the virtual console as a counterpart to Sony's free games. The answer seems to be that people buy PS4s for free movies, which is ridiculous.

It isn't a case of "people buy PS4 for free movies." It is that the PS4 experience, as a whole, includes more than just the games and when people make their purchasing decision it is based on more than just the games because you can get Call of Duty on basically anything. Exclusive games are part of that for certain but so are the other features of the system. If offered a choice between a PS4 and a theoretical Wii2, even a Wii2 with good sales, the PS4 just offers more.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't a case of "people buy PS4 for free movies." It is that the PS4 experience, as a whole, includes more than just the games and when people make their purchasing decision it is based on more than just the games because you can get Call of Duty on basically anything. Exclusive games are part of that for certain but so are the other features of the system. If offered a choice between a PS4 and a theoretical Wii2, even a Wii2 with good sales, the PS4 just offers more.

The only non-gaming thing I use my PS4 for it's superior Netflix app, as opposed to Miiverse on the Wii U, not to mention the superior internet browser, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video apps on the Wii U. Seriously, X-Ray on the Amazon Instant Video app is really loving neato.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How Nintendo catches up with their online: uses some of their cash pile to pay a premium to a company like IBM to do it for them. Sure this is "outside the box" and "not very Japanese," but when you are simply incapable of doing something that is a fundamental part of your business, that is what you do.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

deadwing posted:

The only non-gaming thing I use my PS4 for it's superior Netflix app, as opposed to Miiverse on the Wii U, not to mention the superior internet browser, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video apps on the Wii U. Seriously, X-Ray on the Amazon Instant Video app is really loving neato.

The WiiU internet browser is great. Being able to take a Twitch video, flip it up to my main screen and then browse away from the site? Marvelous for email addicts like myself who don't have two PC monitors.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The WiiU internet browser is great. Being able to take a Twitch video, flip it up to my main screen and then browse away from the site? Marvelous for email addicts like myself who don't have two PC monitors.

I've actually got a surprising amount of use out of the Wii U browser at parties, people really have a lot of fun finding a hilarious video or GIF to triumphantly reveal from the curtains.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder why Nintendo never had the same problems with their handhelds. I know the 3DS struggled a bit at the start, with only N64 remakes to play and a high price tag, but it didn't take long for it to hit its stride.

They've never had a problem attracting Japanese developers to their handhelds, especially now the home console market over there has shrunk so much, and PC gaming is almost non-existent. I'm glad that there are still a lot of people playing portable games on handhelds, since I doubt we'll see games with controls as tight as Spelunky on a touch screen, or the enormous amount of content in Pokemon X/Y without a horrible F2P scheme.

I've heard that the Japanese government can bail out companies that aren't doing too well, although that didn't stop SEGA from leaving the hardware business.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder why Nintendo never had the same problems with their handhelds. I know the 3DS struggled a bit at the start, with only N64 remakes to play and a high price tag, but it didn't take long for it to hit its stride.

They've never had a problem attracting Japanese developers to their handhelds, especially now the home console market over there has shrunk so much, and PC gaming is almost non-existent. I'm glad that there are still a lot of people playing portable games on handhelds, since I doubt we'll see games with controls as tight as Spelunky on a touch screen, or the enormous amount of content in Pokemon X/Y without a horrible F2P scheme.

I've heard that the Japanese government can bail out companies that aren't doing too well, although that didn't stop SEGA from leaving the hardware business.

Partially it's because Nintendo owns the portable market. Tablets and the Vita are finding their own foothold, but when it comes to games Nintendo was the only name in the business for a while and is going to be very difficult to unseat no matter how much naysayers say nay. This whole "people buy systems with games and companies make games for systems people buy" thing that's hurting the WiiU is supporting the 3DS.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bruceski posted:

Vita are finding their own foothold

Hahaha

Sony is getting so desperate to sell them that they are packaging them with PS4s.

I love the hope and slack given to the Vita by the ones here trashing the Wii U without any sense of irony about it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hahaha

Sony is getting so desperate to sell them that they are packaging them with PS4s.

I love the hope and slack given to the Vita by the ones here trashing the Wii U without any sense of irony about it.

Most people aren't giving the Vita any slack, though? Most of us use the Vita as a reference point for how completely loving dead the WiiU is. Because the Vita's dead too.

And as far as I know, there is no PS4/Vita bundle actually on shelves yet. There may be plans for that to happen, but right now it's not happening, so you may as well be making poo poo up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

King of Solomon posted:

Most people aren't giving the Vita any slack, though? Most of us use the Vita as a reference point for how completely loving dead the WiiU is. Because the Vita's dead too.

And as far as I know, there is no PS4/Vita bundle actually on shelves yet. There may be plans for that to happen, but right now it's not happening, so you may as well be making poo poo up.

I'm no Taint Reaper. They sold it in the UK: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/30/playstation-4-and-ps-vita-bundle-now-available-in-the-uk/

This is where you say, "Oh well not at a discount!" as if that was ever my point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm no Taint Reaper. They sold it in the UK: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/30/playstation-4-and-ps-vita-bundle-now-available-in-the-uk/

This is where you say, "Oh well not at a discount!" as if that was ever my point.

No, this is where I admit to being wrong.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hahaha

I'm pretty sure you'll find that the Vita has been called out as a failure multiple times in this thread alone. Of course, as a failure it also sold better than the Wii U did last year (in Japan only, the Vita may as well not exist in North America or Europe at this point). I don't know what you're really trying to say here.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

That loving Sned posted:

Also because handhelds, by their nature, get a lot more leeway in the expectancy of what they're able to do. Its okay for them to be limited compared to main consoles, because they're meant to be able to fit into your pocket - same for the games involved. I brought it up either here or in one of the other Nintendo related threads, but a game series like say, Professor Layton, would never have found a home on main consoles, even accounting for its general usage of the two screen interface. Its a small and simple series really, outside of the sheer number of puzzles and what goes on in the anime cutscenes, and not what you'd expect to put on a several dozen inch wide TV screen. But on screens only a few inches long and able to fold in on themselves? Right at home.

Plus, well, for all the talk of Nintendo's inability to recapture the casual market with the WiiU, handhelds are very much a form of casual gaming device. You can take them anywhere, whether to a friend's house or on a cross country journey - you don't have to leave it behind or leave it sitting in a box until you can find another tv screen to plug it into. Bored as you're waiting five to ten minutes? Switch on Tetris/Pokémon/Professor Layton/whatever and kill a few minutes before putting it away again. Hence also the discussion of smart phones eating into that - because for game apps at least, they offer the same basic deal (though of course the content varies quite a bit).

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
PC + Wii U is such a great combo.

I get all the high end games on my PC, and then the GF and I can play Super Mario 3D World (GOTY) and have a blast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hahaha

I'm not one of the ones trying to trash the WiiU, and I chose "finding their foothold" carefully to avoid trashing it, because I think the only console out there truly worthy of being called "it's garbage" is the OUYA. I could have said "trying to find a niche" but then folks would complain that I had included tablets there that have FOUND their niche.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

icantfindaname posted:

Why on earth did they let Rare get sold? Did they really not have the money to buy them?

Eh... I remember really being bummed out about it at the time, but then Rare stopped making good games.

I don't even understand the concept of buying a studio when they just fire all the key employees that worked for them in the end

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Plus, well, for all the talk of Nintendo's inability to recapture the casual market with the WiiU, handhelds are very much a form of casual gaming device. You can take them anywhere, whether to a friend's house or on a cross country journey - you don't have to leave it behind or leave it sitting in a box until you can find another tv screen to plug it into. Bored as you're waiting five to ten minutes? Switch on Tetris/Pokémon/Professor Layton/whatever and kill a few minutes before putting it away again. Hence also the discussion of smart phones eating into that - because for game apps at least, they offer the same basic deal (though of course the content varies quite a bit).

Nintendo's definitely had a focus on portability while the other consoles were going big and saying "I dominate the home theater, size = power, power = fun." The Gamecube had a handle, I can fit the Wii into a pocket of my jacket (a large pocket, but I don't have to walk funny or anything with it in there), and the WiiU's the smallest and lightest of the current gen, something I don't mind taking to a game night so some folks can mess around in Mario while waiting for others to finish up their game of Cataan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo allowed Rare to be sold because the Stampers wanted to be bought out and Nintendo knew the studio wouldn't be worth poo poo once people started leaving, and they also didn't like the idea of having to share ownership with some other unknown party, so they agreed to provisionally acquire the remaining shares from the Stampers and then immediately sell the entire company once they'd found a buyer.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think Nintendo can more than afford to set up a robust online infrastructure, hell they could even afford to maintain it over time. They simply don't care. Nintendo has a history of pretending the competition isn't doing anything worth paying attention to.

I wonder why they don't use a third-party infrastructure, like how Sony went with Limelight for PSN.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Toady posted:

I wonder why they don't use a third-party infrastructure, like how Sony went with Limelight for PSN.

They do. A lot of their ancillary services like Miiverse and Flipnote are handled by Hatena, and they recently bought a stake in the company that owns Nico Nico Douga.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hahaha

Hope and slack? You've repeated this notion of a pro-Sony/anti-Nintendo bias before, and I don't know what you're referring to.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Hahaha

I give the Vita more slack because it's a handheld and a pretty well designed one at that. Other than the proprietary memory card bullshit, it has a capacitive touchscreen that looks great and responds well, a decent crosspad, and sweet god almighty, two analog sticks. It just has crummy support and a dearth of games. The framework is there though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo allowed Rare to be sold because the Stampers wanted to be bought out and Nintendo knew the studio wouldn't be worth poo poo once people started leaving, and they also didn't like the idea of having to share ownership with some other unknown party, so they agreed to provisionally acquire the remaining shares from the Stampers and then immediately sell the entire company once they'd found a buyer.

I remember thinking at the time "drat, Nintendo got a drat good deal" and really, they did. Rare is more or less just another generic game studio now.

Also, taking a step back, the Vita really is a solid platform but, like the WiiU, suffers from lack of compelling software, initially confusing SKUs, a higher pricetag, an experienced competitor, proprietary memory (thank god the 3DS uses SD cards), and most importantly that drove the success of the PSP, no Monster Hunter.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The one compelling thing about the Vita though that will eventually probably push me to get one is the pile of free PS Plus games there have been. Even if many of them are just ports of PS3 games.

I mean at this point if I bought a Vita I'd have like 30 games to play.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Toady posted:

Hope and slack? You've repeated this notion of a pro-Sony/anti-Nintendo bias before, and I don't know what you're referring to.

Yeah this entire thread has been pretty on track for the most part other than the occasional console warrior.

Unless he's referring to the GBS games thread, which isn't to be taken seriously.

That loving Sned posted:

Pretty sure the handhelds are done by a different branch. They've got different guys behind it, but you still get major screw-ups like the recent Pokémon bank thing because they honestly were not expecting that many people to log onto the e-shop.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 12, 2014

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

oswald ownenstein posted:

PC + Wii U is such a great combo.

I get all the high end games on my PC, and then the GF and I can play Super Mario 3D World (GOTY) and have a blast.

Yes sir I bought a mighty fine PC a year and a half ago and a Wii U this Summer and have no idea why anyone would buy a Playstation 4 or XBox One if they were in my position. Is there anything XB1/PS4 exclusive coming out that isn't also on the computer? Anything that someone would actually care about playing I mean. The Last Guardian hehaw. I think Sony will end up with enough good stuff to entice me into buying a Playstation 4 in about three years though.

whaley fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 12, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Bruceski posted:

Nintendo's definitely had a focus on portability while the other consoles were going big and saying "I dominate the home theater, size = power, power = fun." The Gamecube had a handle, I can fit the Wii into a pocket of my jacket (a large pocket, but I don't have to walk funny or anything with it in there), and the WiiU's the smallest and lightest of the current gen, something I don't mind taking to a game night so some folks can mess around in Mario while waiting for others to finish up their game of Cataan.

The Gamecube was a pretty nifty console. It had those little mini CDs, was just a cube with a handle, and had a great - albeit awkward - controller.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

whaley posted:

Yes sir I bought a mighty fine PC a year and a half ago and a Wii U this Summer and have no idea why anyone would buy a Playstation 4 or XBox One if they were in my position. Is there anything XB1/PS4 exclusive coming out that isn't also on the computer? Anything that someone would actually care about playing I mean. The Last Guardian hehaw. I think Sony will end up with enough good stuff to entice me into buying a Playstation 4 in about three years though.

Infamous: Second Son looked pretty.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

whaley posted:

Yes sir I bought a mighty fine PC a year and a half ago and a Wii U this Summer and have no idea why anyone would buy a Playstation 4 or XBox One if they were in my position.

As someone who recently upgraded his PC to being pretty solid (not absolute top of the line, but still pretty drat good)? Because playing games on PC loving sucks. Even when it works well and has absolutely no hitches or quirks, nine times out of ten I would prefer it on a console.

quote:

Is there anything XB1/PS4 exclusive coming out that isn't also on the computer? Anything that someone would actually care about playing I mean. The Last Guardian hehaw. I think Sony will end up with enough good stuff to entice me into buying a Playstation 4 in about three years though.

inFamous: Second Son looks fantastic and you know Naughty Dog will continue to make really good games. Then there are all those random smaller titles that will never hit PC for one reason or another, like Journey? There are always console exclusives, and drat good ones. It always really confuses me when someone says the PC is a good replacement for the 360 or especially the PS3, because it just...isn't.

I'm sure the Xbone has similar things coming for it, I haven't been paying much attention and Titanfall isn't an Xbone exclusive (though by all accounts it sounds like the Xbone version is going to be the best version.)

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Count me in on the PC + Wii U crowd. That's how you do video games.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Too many console-exclusive games for me to stick to PC, and many ports take forever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
This isn't a PC thread.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I'm just going to quote a chunk of that article Louisgod posted, because it's pretty insightful.

http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

I can bold the whole thing pretty much.

This is what I was getting at earlier. It seems their 'strategy' was to have third parties line up to make exclusives for them because hey, we're nintendo. Also if you read more of the article they had the highest licensing fees and didn't get devkits out until really late, and saw no particular problem with either of those things. Their treatment of devs doesn't seem to be just incompetence, but a ridiculous amount of hubris too. Why on earth did they let Rare get sold? Did they really not have the money to buy them?

After reading the UK dev's problems with the dev toolchains so much of that article really pops out. What page-turners!

Louisgod's article posted:

Throughout the lifespan of the Nintendo 64, the company faced criticism for not having third party developers in mind when creating the Nintendo 64′s hardware and development tools. Nintendo of America Chairman Howard Lincoln would publicly apology for the lack of third party support. ”With the complexity of N64 technology it is incumbent upon us, and good business sense, to fully support third parties through the development process. To date, I don’t think we have provided as much support as we did with the Super NES and NES platforms,” said Lincoln.

Years later, Lincoln would reflect back on the Nintendo 64 days, and promised that we wouldn’t see a repeat of that situation. “I would say that we are deliberately making the Dolphin easy to program for – very strong development tools – because we learned our lesson with the Nintendo 64,” said Lincoln.

Miyamoto spoke on the challenges of Nintendo 64 development and the transition from 2D to 3D game development. He believed that the struggles some third parties faced during the N64 era were necessary because it forced weaker developers out of the industry and made the remaining developers much stronger.

“It was hard to develop for the Nintendo 64, especially because the software libraries were delayed. However, the Nintendo 64 truly brought developers into the era of 3D, and there were bound to be problems with that,” said Miyamoto. ”I suppose developers who have been working with pseudo-3D on the PlayStation, are now finding themselves playing catch-up working in real 3D on the PlayStation 2. In that sense, I think the PlayStation 2 is even harder to develop for than the Nintendo 64. Nintendo 64 weeded out weaker developers at an early stage. In the long term, I think that was necessary. Almost a rite of passage.”

Secret Wii U dev posted:

Nintendo had provided an integration of their development tools into Visual Studio - the de facto standard for development - but it didn't work, not even close. So time was spent trying to get this fixed up, while reporting the issue to the platform holder. Eventually we received a solution from Nintendo via another third-party company who had also been working on this issue for a while.

So now we could make the code visible in Visual Studio and get it compiling, which was good, but the compilation times were really slow, even for minor changes. Then it had to do the link step, at which point you could happily get up, make a cup of tea, have a chat and get back to your desk before the link was complete. Link times were measured in multiple (four or more) minutes on Wii U compared to around one minute on other platforms.

This doesn't sound bad, but when you are debugging and making lots of changes, these additional times add up. If you made 10 changes to a file in a morning, you could be spending over 50 minutes waiting for the linker to complete, which is a lot of wasted time.

Finally, when you had the code, you would deploy it to the console and start up the debugger, which was part of the toolchain that Nintendo had licensed from Green Hills Software. As a seasoned developer I've used a lot of debuggers, but this one surprised even me. Its interface was clunky, it was very slow to use and if you made the mistake of actually clicking on any code, then it would pause and retrieve all of the values for the variables that you had clicked, which might take a minute or more to come back. ( :wtc: )
All of these things made the actual development of code harder than it should have been and ate into the development time of the game. As a team, we lost days of time to the compile/link/debug overheads and this negatively impacted the amount of features that we could put into our game before the release date.

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

As promised, (just) before the worldwide launch we received the final networking features that we required for our game along with an OS update for the development kits that would allow us to test. So we patched up our code and tried to start testing our game.

First up we had to flash the kits to the retail mode that had the Mii and network features. This was a very complicated manual process that left the consoles in a halfway state. In the retail mode we could test our features and ensure that they worked as expected, which would be a requirement for getting through Nintendo certification, but in this mode the debugging capabilities were limited. So we could see when things went wrong, but we couldn't fully debug to find out why. As developers, we had to make a choice and hope that any issues that you found were due to the (untested) OS code and wouldn't happen in the final retail environment. What should have been simple tasks were long-winded and error prone. Simple things like sending a friends request to another user were not supported in the OS, so you had to boot a separate program on the console manually, via a debug menu, so that you could send one. But if any error occurred there was no way to debug why it had failed, it just failed.

Holy poo poo Nintendo. Stop it.

e: Sorry for the wall-o-text. Added some bolding but if you have a free afternoon really sit down and read these two articles.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The Vita has underperformed at retail, but the hardware is solid as a rock, the game library is far more robust and varied than the U's, By giving away a ton of top-shelf flagship titles for free with PS+ while positioning Vita as a sort of optional gamepad-style add on, Sony is at least doing everything it can to make it an attractive proposition, especially to PS4 owners.

Sony's Vita problem is that it has put out a first class premium product in a category that has been overwhelmingly dominated by younger players and is shifting largely to .99 throwaway phone distractions for everyone else. Nintendo's U problem is that it thinks history ended after 1994, and they viewed the Wii's fluke success as total validation of their arrogance, rather than a precious, cash-flush opportunity to regroup and come hard in the next cycle.

• Locked thread