Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dragonatrix posted:

Power Generators are the steal, not the drop. It's Rare Item you don't want, since that makes it impossible to get. :ssh:

You can also just get one from Lunatic Pandora if you don't want to bother using Level Up on a Blitz, or heaven forbid actually ever gain levels of your own.

Getting a successful steal means the enemy won't drop items. Leave both Mug and Rare Item at home for that one.

The one boss fight I can think of where you might not want to Steal is the second Edea fight - Mugging gets you a Royal Crown, but otherwise she drops a Force Armlet, which you need for Rinoa's Shooting Star, and it's easier to just get it there instead of getting Familiar to buy it from Esthar. Not that either Mag+60% or improving Rinoa's weapon is crucial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Getting a successful steal means the enemy won't drop items. Leave both Mug and Rare Item at home for that one.

Except that the only thing a suitably high level (30+) Blitz drops is Dynamo Stones. You want Mug if you want Ray Bomb that way, because it's the only way to get it from one. If you really Dynamo Stones for some reason its easier to just use Card Mod on Blitzes anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, fair enough, I must have been thinking of Belhemels and Laser Cannons. Not like Ray-Bomb would ever be worth hunting down Blitzes for unless you're a completionist.

Now that I think of it, I've never intentionally gone out of my way to break FFVIII. I actually like pretending there's some sense of challenge in the game.

But then again, I don't hate FFIII DS, so my perception may be skewed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now that I think of it, I've never intentionally gone out of my way to break FFVIII. I actually like pretending there's some sense of challenge in the game.
Well go do a no-junction Lv100 game and report back. I'd say you're allowed to use stat up items but you'd have to junction GFs for that.

That's mostly what I'm talking about when I say "stealing from enemies;" bosses have some pretty lackluster drops in that game, but their steals tend to be at least kind of exciting (Str Up is nice when Squall's natural Strength at Lv100 is I believe 45). Still, the fact that stealing makes them not drop anything makes the crap command even worse.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Huh, fair enough, I must have been thinking of Belhemels and Laser Cannons.

Yeah, probably but even then there are other ways to get it. Mugging Elastoids at the same level works, for example, and it's a guaranteed drop from Mobile Type 8 if you don't have it by then anyway. Personally I'd just get it from the Type 8, since you're not missing anything by not having it before then.

Then again, 99% of the time, I was using Quistis to Micro Missile random encounters to Card them instantly. The other 1% of the time, I was using Shockwave Pulsar. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

Well go do a no-junction Lv100 game and report back. I'd say you're allowed to use stat up items but you'd have to junction GFs for that.

That's mostly what I'm talking about when I say "stealing from enemies;" bosses have some pretty lackluster drops in that game, but their steals tend to be at least kind of exciting (Str Up is nice when Squall's natural Strength at Lv100 is I believe 45). Still, the fact that stealing makes them not drop anything makes the crap command even worse.

Actually did that before, then later on I did: No Magic Junction, No Items (except Blue Magic/Magazines), No Invincible Moon, No Escape, No Bonus abilities, No Auto-Potion, Attack/Limit Break Only, No Enc-Half/None, No Card Mod. The main difference is the lack of Invincible Moon making things trickier in some places and easier in others.

You do get a few Str Ups from Raijin, as far as I remember.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, probably but even then there are other ways to get it. Mugging Elastoids at the same level works, for example, and it's a guaranteed drop from Mobile Type 8 if you don't have it by then anyway. Personally I'd just get it from the Type 8, since you're not missing anything by not having it before then.

Then again, 99% of the time, I was using Quistis to Micro Missile random encounters to Card them instantly. The other 1% of the time, I was using Shockwave Pulsar. :v:

If you're doing a No-Junction game, you may or may not want to get one before Disc 3, as it makes Edea much easier. Alternative is Laguna Scenario 2, but that's much more dangerous.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I stalled out on a low level run of 8, last time I played. Not that I care much, since I was pretty much right at the point where the plot stops being bad and takes a swerve into terrible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Actually did that before, then later on I did: No Magic Junction, No Items (except Blue Magic/Magazines), No Invincible Moon, No Escape, No Bonus abilities, No Auto-Potion, Attack/Limit Break Only, No Enc-Half/None, No Card Mod. The main difference is the lack of Invincible Moon making things trickier in some places and easier in others.

This sounds like the most boring thing ever.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

This sounds like the most boring thing ever.

Yeah, that sounds pretty shite. At least with other gimmick runs, like low-level and natural magic runs in FFVI, there's some interesting tactics you can utilize to get around only Terra and Celes having magic.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
Been listening to the soundtrack to FFIV recently, it has a lot of great music.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Free weekend for FFXIV if you're previously bought the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

The problem with Mug has always been the chance to kill the thing you're trying to steal from before you successfully steal. Especially problematic in 8 when you're very likely to kill things too quickly.

It would be cool if finishing off an enemy with Mug would guarantee that you steal the item on that hit, but what would JRPGs be without making you do tedious tasks over and over again?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

It would be cool if finishing off an enemy with Mug would guarantee that you steal the item on that hit, but what would JRPGs be without making you do tedious tasks over and over again?

They would be bitched about by the 'hardcore' for being too easy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

5er posted:

They would be bitched about by the 'hardcore' for being too easy.

I have never seen anyone defend RNG's, hardcore or otherwise.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Go on some MMO forums.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oxxidation posted:

Borderlands 2's difficulty is pretty much defined by its RNG drops and, if their whining to the devs is any indication, the only way hardcore players could feel gratified is if BL2's natural drop rates were lower than the rarest items in WoW. Which they currently are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Go check out XCOM someday. There's even bonus options you can enable to make the RNG even more punishing and random.

RNG has a lot of appeal to people because it adds random chance and unexpected moments to a game. That and it gives a tiny rush of pleasure to a certain mindset when the RNG rolls in your favor. It's basically hitting the same place as gambling does. It's technically tedious busywork but to some people it is just more satisfying to have that element of randomness.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VeggieSmuggler posted:

Been listening to the soundtrack to FFIV recently, it has a lot of great music.

Far as I'm concerned, it's the best OST in the series

Best Boss Theme? Check.
One of, if not the, best Special Boss Themes? Check.
One of, if not the, best Final Boss Theme? Check.
One of the best dungeon themes ever? Check.
One of, if not the, best Town Theme? Check.

And I guess that is getting obnoxious. But then there's alsO Golbez, Clad iN Dark, Red Wings, Theme of Love, the Lunar Whale.... The list just goes on and on.

I think Golbez's theme is ripped from some real music though. Although I've heard a decent bit of FF's more epic music is shamelessly ripping off classic music. Dancing Mad I think did it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Best Boss Theme? Check.

And I guess that is getting obnoxious. But then there's alsO Golbez, Clad iN Dark, Red Wings, Theme of Love, the Lunar Whale.... The list just goes on and on.

I think Golbez's theme is ripped from some real music though. Although I've heard a decent bit of FF's more epic music is shamelessly ripping off classic music. Dancing Mad I think did it?

Sorry the Zeronus theme is boring garbage and the Giant of Babil theme is so just unfitting for that dungeon and what's happening in that plot I can't really enjoy it. It sounds like it should be the world map theme not a dungeon theme.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I always forget how rad the Four Fiends theme is, though.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

A while back, people were talking about some kind of high-res version of FFIX when played on an emulator. Is there any version of that for VIII? Or really, any quality of life mods for the PSX version of games? I want to play through VIII and IX again, but have problems going back to PSX era days.

Like, was that just a filter being run directly from the emulator, in those FFVII backgrounds a few pages back? Cause that would do what I needed it to do.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Best Boss Theme? Check.

I honestly have yet to hear any video game's soundtrack that can top FFX for me. It's an utter masterpiece. I know people will disagree but that's okay. Say what you will about the story, but you cannot deny the soundtrack is completely top-notch and fits the game so well it is almost unreal. Like, to the point of I'd honestly propose that the game would not be anywhere near as great if the soundtrack were different.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 11, 2014

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

NikkolasKing posted:

Best Boss Theme? Check.

It has some great music, sure, but it's no FFVI.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I honestly have yet to hear any video game's soundtrack that can top FFX for me. It's an utter masterpiece. I know people will disagree but that's okay. Say what you will about the story, but you cannot deny the soundtrack is completely top-notch and fits the game so well it is almost unreal. Like, to the point of I'd honestly propose that the game would not be anywhere near as great if the soundtrack were different.

Perhaps it's teh fact I played FFVII, VIII, IX and X in rapid succession but I've never been able to decide which of those four I love more. it really depends on my mood. One second I'll think "nothing can be more fitting than X's Someday the Dream Will End" and then I'll think "but ya know, Kuja's Immoral Melody is easily the best FF villain song" but then I think FFVIII has this great track and FFVII has that amazing tune.... I love them all so much.

Although the FF series no longer occupies the #1 or #2 spot in My Favorite Video Game Soundtracks, they're still very good and very much in the Top 10.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 11, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

One second I'll think "nothing can be more fitting than X's Someday the Dream Will End"

And you'd be right. :buddy:

Though the real answer is, there's no best. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with all of these on the remastered version of the game.

So, they released a soundtrack for FFXIV 1.0 (the old and otherwise crappy version of the game) called "Before Meteor", with the majority of it being Uematsu, but they seriously need to do one with the new music they've added in A Realm Reborn, because it's fantastic. I can never stop gushing about how worthy everything in XIV:ARR is of the Final Fantasy name, far and beyond much of which has been put out in the past decade, and the music is no exception. In particular, I like this one, which has a flavor similar to Uematsu's Lost Odyssey work.

Sadly, they've been pretty adamant about taking down tracks posted to YouTube, so these links will probably be dead soon. But, we've got things like this area music, this other area music, this city music, and this unique boss music, complete with screamy vocals, and this other very notable boss music.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

And you'd be right. :buddy:

Though the real answer is, there's no best. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with all of these on the remastered version of the game.

So, they released a soundtrack for FFXIV 1.0 (the old and otherwise crappy version of the game) called "Before Meteor", with the majority of it being Uematsu, but they seriously need to do one with the new music they've added in A Realm Reborn, because it's fantastic. I can never stop gushing about how worthy everything in XIV:ARR is of the Final Fantasy name, far and beyond much of which has been put out in the past decade, and the music is no exception. In particular, I like this one, which has a flavor similar to Uematsu's Lost Odyssey work.

Sadly, they've been pretty adamant about taking down tracks posted to YouTube, so these links will probably be dead soon. But, we've got things like this area music, this other area music, this city music, and this unique boss music, complete with screamy vocals, and this other very notable boss music.

Steel Reason from FFXIV:ARR has really shot high into my favourite special boss themes list (video is some dude in a mask playing over the electric guitar bit).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It seems like every day there is a conversation in FC chat about how great the music in FFXIV is. My favorite is the remix of the FF3 battle theme that plays in various quests.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Levantine posted:

It seems like every day there is a conversation in FC chat about how great the music in FFXIV is. My favorite is the remix of the FF3 battle theme that plays in various quests.

*FF2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UFC-IVheRw

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That's it, I do get them confused pretty often. Still love it, it seems to only play on "silly" type quests and it just kind of fits.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I really wish there was an official soundtrack out for FFXIV: ARR. I'm trying to find the track that plays when you fight Ultima Weapon, not the final form, but the first time you fight it. Such an amazing OST though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
FFVI had the best soundtrack ever, both in terms of composition and also in the tonal quality they were able to get out of the SNES synthesizer. Though the redone music for the FFIV remakes is pretty good.

The final boss theme is so awesome after going through one hell of an epic track in Dancing Mad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVcn6I452I

It's too bad the song itself is way too loving fast to be played well, I don't think I've heard anyone try to play it with real instruments ever.

I'm also partial to the World of Balance overworld theme and the Atma Weapon themes. This game's soundtrack was peak Uematsu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH40gYZhwWI

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
I don't know if it's a blessing or shameful that FFXIV: ARR is doing a better job of telling a Final Fantasy-style story than any of the mainline games have done in over a decade.

EDIT: Wait, no, scratch that. FFXII did alright. So almost 8 years, then.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

1st AD posted:

It's too bad the song itself is way too loving fast to be played well, I don't think I've heard anyone try to play it with real instruments ever.

After a total flop from Distant Worlds II (I hate that synth organ so much), Returning Home's rendition loving nails it. The (drum and) piano remix featured in Love SQ is also really good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Shaezerus posted:

After a total flop from Distant Worlds II (I hate that synth organ so much), Returning Home's rendition loving nails it.

Meh that version sucks. No double bass drum and played at like half the speed.

edit: actually I guess it's not a double bass, but there's a cool thing in the drums where it sounds like a series of snare drums tuned to different notes is playing in rapid succession.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 12, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Holidae posted:

I don't know if it's a blessing or shameful that FFXIV: ARR is doing a better job of telling a Final Fantasy-style story than any of the mainline games have done in over a decade.

EDIT: Wait, no, scratch that. FFXII did alright. So almost 8 years, then.

That's a pretty small sample size, considering in the past eight years Square has released one main Final Fantasy game and a sequel to it made of repurposed assets that didn't get used. That's the worst part, I think, that they spent so long on something that was so bad.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Basically what I'm saying I wish they'd stop shoving this awful universe they've crafted down our throats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Borderlands 2's difficulty is pretty much defined by its RNG drops and, if their whining to the devs is any indication, the only way hardcore players could feel gratified is if BL2's natural drop rates were lower than the rarest items in WoW. Which they currently are.

How you spec characters matters some too. Having lovely guns matters less when you're throwing down turrets everywhere, compared to someone else dual wielding two lovely ARs (and all ARs sucked in BL2).

I used turrets and just carried whatever seemed like it'd work best to self-revive when something inevitably killed me while my turrets weren't out. It's a shame that ARs were so lackluster, but that you could get some crazy powerful ones in BL1 probably didn't help expectations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

How you spec characters matters some too. Having lovely guns matters less when you're throwing down turrets everywhere, compared to someone else dual wielding two lovely ARs (and all ARs sucked in BL2).
You can also dual-wield rocket launchers or sniper rifles.

Or a rocket launcher AND a sniper rifle. Therefore :iia:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

Don't forget nerfing an entire category of shields into the ground because people would rather whine about them then just... use another shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

NikkolasKing posted:

Best Boss Theme? Check.

I don't know. The FF6 OST was able to make what would be a creepy and gross plot have emotional impact almost entirely due to the song that played during the relevant scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TzPDsBNtsw

Also, as a bonus it completely blew my mind when I found out that t was a slower remix of Locke's Theme with different instrumentation.

This is awesome.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 12, 2014