Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Albini admitted in an interview that his wife thinks he a huge sperg. Guitar strap QED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Have an aluminum 12 string bass.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Vastarien posted:

Have an aluminum 12 string bass.

Why?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Tone.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

someone knws bass and is too antisocial to make friends and doesn't want to take the time to learn to play guitar or sing

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

mclast posted:

someone knws bass and is too antisocial to make friends and doesn't want to take the time to learn to play guitar or sing

Well... it IS left handed.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Where the gently caress do you even buy strings for it?

And think about how gross that would look after 5 minutes playing it.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
It'll probably see five owners before it sees a new set of strings or any stage time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
is that electrical guitar company?

the guitar they made for buzz from the melvins is alright, even if they are kinda travis bean ripoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M648mDUbf54

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A friend in high school had an 8-string similar to that (4 bass doubled with 4 guitar) and AFAIK they don't sell sets for those, you need to buy a set of bass strings and a set of guitar strings and just toss the 2 high ones.

The 8-string at least sounded kind of neat (at least through a cab/head, on the smaller combos/practice amps I heard it through you could barely hear the guitar strings), but I can't possibly see the extra set of guitar strings on that 12-string contributing anything whatsoever.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The 8-string at least sounded kind of neat (at least through a cab/head, on the smaller combos/practice amps I heard it through you could barely hear the guitar strings), but I can't possibly see the extra set of guitar strings on that 12-string contributing anything whatsoever.

cheap trick dude

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

comes along bort posted:

cheap trick dude

o rite the band with this guy

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Is it intentional that Cheap Trick is a lovely generic band that is literally only still famous because that dude plays a dumb gimmicky guitar? AKA a cheap trick?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

HollisBrown posted:

Is it intentional that Cheap Trick is a lovely generic band that is literally only still famous because that dude plays a dumb gimmicky guitar? AKA a cheap trick?
That used a reality show to replace their lead singer who died from auto-erotic asphyxiation no less.

Edit: Or was that INXS?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah that was inxs

cheap trick had a couple songs written for them by the lady who wrote the theme song from armageddon

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol at that subtitle

the man with five penises

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

drunk asian neighbor posted:

A friend in high school had an 8-string similar to that (4 bass doubled with 4 guitar) and AFAIK they don't sell sets for those, you need to buy a set of bass strings and a set of guitar strings and just toss the 2 high ones.

Greg Lake played an eight for a while. You didn't really hear the high strings as notes, but as a weird trebly clanking attack on an otherwise alright bass tone. No way in gently caress the 12 contributes anything useful.

Like so.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

HollisBrown posted:

So is John Frusciante supposed to be really be that good? All I've ever heard suggests that he's a fairly mediocre player but by his own accord he could play all Steve Vai's guitar parts from the Zappa stuff.

All I know is that he sobered up and rejoined the band and started playing really boring guitar parts while the band created mediocre radio hits.

I liked Navarro and it's a shame that One Hot Minute is basically non-existent now.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

comes along bort posted:

yeah that was inxs

cheap trick had a couple songs written for them by the lady who wrote the theme song from armageddon
Steven Tyler?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

mclast posted:

if keidis has ODd after One Hot Minute they'd have gone down as legends

One Hot Minute was mostly a good record and I'll fight anyone that disagrees. Dave Navarro is awesome.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

killhamster posted:

One Hot Minute was mostly a good record and I'll fight anyone that disagrees. Dave Navarro is awesome.

Dave Navarro sucks and janes addiction was awful

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
jane's addiction is better than soundgarden but worse than the toadies. ba-boom.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
[ask] me to sperg out about ranking 90s bands

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

comes along bort posted:

is that electrical guitar company?

the guitar they made for buzz from the melvins is alright, even if they are kinda travis bean ripoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M648mDUbf54

Wow this video is incredibly depressing. What a sad lonely rear end in a top hat.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
in terms of popular 90s bands I have to say NIN and smashing pumpkins and nirvana are all really amazing

ok amazing is hyperbole but they're loving good and I bet their live shows were fun in their heydays

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

ashgromnies posted:

in terms of popular 90s bands I have to say NIN and smashing pumpkins and nirvana are all really amazing

ok amazing is hyperbole but they're loving good and I bet their live shows were fun in their heydays

aw poo poo so

NIN is forgettable because big black, killing joke, and nick cave exist. smashing pumpkins have like 5 good songs but that's commendable, i'm talking disarm and porcelina because zero is superceded by the one song RATM kept making. nirvana is good because swap meet is good enough to justify a career, they turned me on to the pixies, and steve albini produced in utero and any road that leads there can't be all bad. Pearl jam is a good 90s band if you lived through it and the afghan whigs are the #1 90s band in existence

the melvins are good because they inspired drone metal, the one good kind of metal

edit: nirvana also gets points for being remembered, a 11 yo girl i teach was all pumped up i could teach her smells like teen spirit including the part after the chorus and the solo. but for a band of young dumb assholes, playing music simple yet interesting enough that its practically inviting kids to pllay it, blink 182 is better

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 12, 2014

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW
Hey guitar nerds, come gaze at a woman's crotch while she teaches you how to twittle some video game song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fy6in086PM

Remember now, first string twelve.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

Steppin_Razor posted:

since this has turned into gear sperging i thought i'd ask here - whats a good bass for beginners?

squier vintage modified *insert whatever the gently caress style you want or whatever you think looks cool or w/e they have a version of basically every fender bass*. they top out at 299 and are every bit as good as mim fender poo poo. i'd personally suggest their vm jaguar bass (the one with the block inlays and p/j pu config) it's versatile, has a jazz bass neck which is easier to play on and looks baller as gently caress

here's an ugly guitar that i'd sell a kidney for

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Occupy Japan fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 12, 2014

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ashgromnies posted:

I saw Nirvana live in Stockholm in 1992, and it was really underwhelming. Kurt Kobain stood in the same spot looking down the entire show. Rumors said he was in terrible pain from his chronic stomach problems. Krist Novoselic tried to put on a show and jumped around, but it looked desperate with Kurt acting like a shoegaze guitarist.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Occupy Japan posted:

squier vintage modified *insert whatever the gently caress style you want or whatever you think looks cool or w/e they have a version of basically every fender bass*. they top out at 299 and are every bit as good as mim fender poo poo. i'd personally suggest their vm jaguar bass (the one with the block inlays and p/j pu config) it's versatile, has a jazz bass neck which is easier to play on and looks baller as gently caress

here's an ugly guitar that i'd sell a kidney for

What is going on with that guitar? Looks like someone attacked it with a sheet sander...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Can we still post ugly guitars itt or is it just another jazz-fusion and gear sperg thread?

NO

NONONONONO

THIS DOES NOT EXIST. I REFUSE.

gently caress.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean seriously.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

GOD DAMMIT

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

mclast posted:

aw poo poo so

NIN is forgettable because big black, killing joke, and nick cave exist. smashing pumpkins have like 5 good songs but that's commendable, i'm talking disarm and porcelina because zero is superceded by the one song RATM kept making. nirvana is good because swap meet is good enough to justify a career, they turned me on to the pixies, and steve albini produced in utero and any road that leads there can't be all bad. Pearl jam is a good 90s band if you lived through it and the afghan whigs are the #1 90s band in existence

the melvins are good because they inspired drone metal, the one good kind of metal

edit: nirvana also gets points for being remembered, a 11 yo girl i teach was all pumped up i could teach her smells like teen spirit including the part after the chorus and the solo. but for a band of young dumb assholes, playing music simple yet interesting enough that its practically inviting kids to pllay it, blink 182 is better

NIN took a different direction from any of those bands imo. Trent Reznor is cool and creative.

Big Black is cool and all but it's more on the lo-fi punk spectrum of simple aggressive songs. NIN took a much more produced, poppy route, putting sheen and polish over aggressive music combining sampling, live instruments, and synthesized instruments. If you play a NIN album really loud you'll see how dynamic/well produced it is. Plus the apparent insanity of the band's early live shows and the spectacle of their modern shows means that they've always tried to have a good live show

In Utero is the best nirvana album, Tourette's is my fav song

Blink 182 was cool as hell and yea learning to play their songs and nirvana songs was how I got started on guitar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Renegret posted:

I mean seriously.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT.

GOD DAMMIT

it's llike you're in denial of rule 35: if it exists, there's a pony or anime version of it

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lIbjjw20o

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's llike you're in denial of rule 35: if it exists, there's a pony or anime version of it

I try to give humanity the benefit of the doubt.

Or at least tried to, until I found out that people exist that jerk it to a children's show.

e: Someone, somewhere, jerked it to that guitar :gonk:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 12, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

ashgromnies posted:

NIN took a different direction from any of those bands imo. Trent Reznor is cool and creative.

Big Black is cool and all but it's more on the lo-fi punk spectrum of simple aggressive songs. NIN took a much more produced, poppy route, putting sheen and polish over aggressive music combining sampling, live instruments, and synthesized instruments. If you play a NIN album really loud you'll see how dynamic/well produced it is. Plus the apparent insanity of the band's early live shows and the spectacle of their modern shows means that they've always tried to have a good live show

In Utero is the best nirvana album, Tourette's is my fav song

Blink 182 was cool as hell and yea learning to play their songs and nirvana songs was how I got started on guitar.

:shrug: i don't like well-produced music made before 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Dirt posted:

They are also the only jamband to do a "metal" song I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKcJL4rjM8
This sounds like one of those Andy Rehfeldt Radio Disney songs.

• Locked thread