Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

some texas redneck posted:

I saw something ages ago that still pops into my head from time to time.

Saw a big truck going down I-35E between DFW and Waco. The trailer was cocked about 5-10 degrees compared to the truck. He was taking up a small chunk of the shoulder, with his steers almost into the next lane. Still doing about 60 mph. The tires didn't sound or smell happy about this arrangement.

I've seen similar a couple of times, but usually it's 1-2 degrees. Never seen anything that bad since then.

Cause(s)?

The rear wheels on the trailer can slide forward and back to adjust weights; it's possible for one side to be the tiniest bit misaligned from the other which means the tires are no longer rolling freely, but dragging to one side. Even a degree will shred the tread off in a very short time.

In the case of your story, most likely something broke and it was more than just a LITTLE misaligned. Also possible one of his brakes had cammed over and was making it pull to the side.

I'd also bet it was a Swift truck!

Javid fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
"The adventures of Russian truckers"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bff_1389265887

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We have a 105km/h limit on trucks here in Ontario and I was getting laughs today at all the sneaky truckers breaking the rules because it was super foggy out. It was a free for all of trucks doing 130+km/h, driving the in the far left lane, and ignoring inspection stations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes, limited visibility, the best time to be going faster.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Yes, limited visibility, the best time to be going faster.

Most truck drivers in Canada are Eastern European, Indian and, Pakistani so they were taught to drive with a deathwish from the beginning.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

0rganDonor posted:

Most truck drivers in Canada are Eastern European, Indian and, Pakistani so they were taught to drive with a deathwish from the beginning.

This is the truth. Also with the 105km/h limit in place they have no way of making up lost time so by god they're going exactly 105 all the time. gently caress snowstorms, slow cars, accidents, and congestion this truck is doing 105. What a stupid rule.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

A lot of the trucks in ontario have limiters to 105km/h as well, which means its hilarious to watch one limited truck try to pass another limited truck. Takes about 10 minutes usually.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Eh it kinds looks like they needed a new bridge anyways.

http://imgur.com/gallery/KYQNg/new

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

God drat.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Javid posted:

God drat.

http://www.wistv.com/story/24434747/construction-equipment-hits-damages-bridge-over-upstate-interstate

This is why you don't go higher than 13'6" on the far side of the USA. I'm gonna say it, that driver sure the gently caress knew how to strap a load down if he almost knocked a loving bridge over with it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd lay odds they repaved the road and added ~3" without adjusting the signage.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So normally I would say we're pretty good to the truckers we use at work. We always get them unloaded and loaded quickly, not much waiting around, and we don't damage their equipment.

Until now that is. One of our guys, who until now I would have considered our best forklift operator, managed to punch a hole in the side of a trucker's trailer while unloading the empty 400lb steel tubs which one of our customers prefers to receive their parts in. It would seem when they loaded the empties onto the truck they somehow put one in at a bad angle which we weren't able to get at properly with the forklift. In the maneuvering to try to get it out of the truck a new ventilation hole was put in the side of the trailer. All I can say is I'm glad I am not involved in determining who has to pay for it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Holy poo poo I forgot this thread existed. Looks like I've got some back-reading to do.

InterceptorV8 posted:

They installed them wrong. I don't know how they installed them wrong. I mean I know HOW they installed them wrong, but it is such a rookie tire mistake that I can't loving believe it. So now that I am back home, I get to go back to a professional tire shop and have them completely dismounted from the wheels and remounted as a complete set.

There's 2 different kinds of tire guy. The crazy masochists who actually enjoy that line of work and the guys who are simply too loving stupid to make decent money doing anything else. The problem is, most of the people in group A end up in a service truck so anybody you see in a shop are generally group B (or group A's who don't have a license or just don't like pulling the ridiculously long shifts you get on the road). I busted tires for 6 years, and if I hadn't developed back problems I'd probably still be doing it.
Also your drives are caps right? because the problem you're describing sounds like a tread misalignment (literally they didn't roll the tread on straight at the retread plant) or casing issue. My understanding is that because the US tire industry is made up of a million different mom-n-pop shops (as opposed to us up north, basically in Western Canada we have 4 main chains of tire shops and a handful of independent guys around the hub cities) good quality control is not a prevalent thing in the retread market. It's one of the main reasons caps have such a bum rap, when at Kal we had a failure rate on our caps that was comparable to (and sometimes the same as, depending on how many group Bs were working at the retread plant on a given day) virgins.

Anyways I fix trucks now (HET in a shithole drivetrain/CVIP shop), moving up in the world and all that. On paper it's not much better for my spine but when you have jacks and cranes to lift poo poo there's a lot less opportunity to do something stupid and put myself back in physio. I haven't been at it for long enough to get any really good stories yet but I'm sure that's coming.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Here are a few photos of the trade magazine CCJ (formerly Commercial Car Journal) from 100 years ago.

Cool stuff.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I used to drive 26 foot trucks (yeah I know but) and I really hated those logs.

Nobody in my company took them all that seriously but they were audited earlier this year and whoa, that was some bad news. I had no idea how deep they went. Checking gas station cameras, toll cameras, mileage between stops to see if it was possible to make it, and and endless list of basic syntax bullshit. I'm glad my log wasn't one that was listed. They "only" found like two infractions with the logs they did go over but ever since then that company is subjected to insanely long inspections at weigh stations. One guy had to be fired because the fire extinguisher strap was broken and there was no windshield fluid. He had worked there 5 years!

I understand regulations, I really really do. But after going through that process it seemed like it's gone way past "safety" and well into "regulations for the sake of regulation", at least by the auditors and inspection people. Omg, you mean he was checking his tires and filling up his windshield fluid during a lunch break and that can't count as a break? So the whole day is in violation?

F u DOT

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It is 100% about them being able to find SOMETHING to gently caress you with at any time.

See also: you can refuse permission for them to look inside the cab but they can measure the thickness of your mattress (which is legally mandated) without permission.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Javid posted:

It is 100% about them being able to find SOMETHING to gently caress you with at any time.

See also: you can refuse permission for them to look inside the cab but they can measure the thickness of your mattress (which is legally mandated) without permission.

Don't forget the sleeper harness in a single bunk truck.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any words on any more CA emissions exemptions being considered? I know theres the one time 1000 mile one but theres rumors about single owner operators [not fleets] and farmers getting a 1 truck exemption from 2014 engine requirements.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot this thread existed. Looks like I've got some back-reading to do.

There's 2 different kinds of tire guy. The crazy masochists who actually enjoy that line of work and the guys who are simply too loving stupid to make decent money doing anything else. The problem is, most of the people in group A end up in a service truck so anybody you see in a shop are generally group B (or group A's who don't have a license or just don't like pulling the ridiculously long shifts you get on the road). I busted tires for 6 years, and if I hadn't developed back problems I'd probably still be doing it.
Also your drives are caps right? because the problem you're describing sounds like a tread misalignment (literally they didn't roll the tread on straight at the retread plant) or casing issue. My understanding is that because the US tire industry is made up of a million different mom-n-pop shops (as opposed to us up north, basically in Western Canada we have 4 main chains of tire shops and a handful of independent guys around the hub cities) good quality control is not a prevalent thing in the retread market. It's one of the main reasons caps have such a bum rap, when at Kal we had a failure rate on our caps that was comparable to (and sometimes the same as, depending on how many group Bs were working at the retread plant on a given day) virgins.

Anyways I fix trucks now (HET in a shithole drivetrain/CVIP shop), moving up in the world and all that. On paper it's not much better for my spine but when you have jacks and cranes to lift poo poo there's a lot less opportunity to do something stupid and put myself back in physio. I haven't been at it for long enough to get any really good stories yet but I'm sure that's coming.

I wonder about that. Our shop gets pretty good caps, unlike the strange poo poo that you find around LA, I think they are Bandags recaps, but they are the ones that are California approved tires for the tutti-frutti CARB laws I believe. Now since you are the man with the knowledge, do they mark the recaps like they do virgins for static balance?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, CARB approved TIRES?

gently caress California, seriously.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us_eng/real/magazines/ra_v15i1/ra_industry.asp
Low rolling resistance tires are required, basically.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

kastein posted:

In my dreams, I burn the CARB headquarters to the ground every night. :ca:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

The big giggle is that my truck never goes into that lovely state. OK, I did a quick hop into California for a big bonus just a couple of weeks ago, and stopped counting after I got cut off 6 times in a row. I really need to figure out why my fuel mileage after service has taken a hit, but I don't have many fucks to give since they figured out how not to pay out the fuel mileage bonus anyway. If they want the truck to get better mileage, they better get better shop workers.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InterceptorV8 posted:

The big giggle is that my truck never goes into that lovely state. OK, I did a quick hop into California for a big bonus just a couple of weeks ago, and stopped counting after I got cut off 6 times in a row. I really need to figure out why my fuel mileage after service has taken a hit, but I don't have many fucks to give since they figured out how not to pay out the fuel mileage bonus anyway. If they want the truck to get better mileage, they better get better shop workers.

Is part of the deal that company shops pay dogshit?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Is part of the deal that company shops pay dogshit?

I'm guessing that is also part of the issue as well. Let's cut corners so much to save money that we end up spending more money! I'm not joking when I say I have to take my truck into a real shop after our shop gets done working on it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm guessing that is also part of the issue as well. Let's cut corners so much to save money that we end up spending more money! I'm not joking when I say I have to take my truck into a real shop after our shop gets done working on it.

I hope the shop my dad manages isn't like that :/

"Someone in QC at Freightliner must have been having a bad day"

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

I hope the shop my dad manages isn't like that :/

"Someone in QC at Freightliner must have been having a bad day"

Depends if it is a real shop or a company shop I bet. It's pretty sad when I am happy that I break down near a TA and get to go to a real shop.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

I wonder about that. Our shop gets pretty good caps, unlike the strange poo poo that you find around LA, I think they are Bandags recaps, but they are the ones that are California approved tires for the tutti-frutti CARB laws I believe. Now since you are the man with the knowledge, do they mark the recaps like they do virgins for static balance?

Bandag was bought by Bridgestone a couple years ago and is now in direct competition with MRT (Michelin's retread division), and they're both pushing the quality really hard as a result. They won't actually sell you bulk tread anymore unless you've got their specific equipment, which is increasingly automated (the coolest bits being the casing analyzers, which create a vacuum around the tire and watch how the casing reacts to find separations or air pockets).
Anyways, balance on a cap is a pretty tricky business. They're not marked, but initially the high spot (red mark on a virgin) and heavy spot (yellow) are generally both at the seam of the tread on a cap. In theory, standard procedure for us was to mount them so that the seam on the outer is 180 degrees from the seam on the inner, though in practice ~98% of the time our caps were uniform enough we didn't have to bother unless we knew a driver ran bobtail or high speed/light load a lot or had a princess-and-the-pea level of sensitivity (which is why I suggested you probably have a bad one on there somewhere, it should never make a truck handle like Michael J. Fox is driving no matter how they're mounted). If they hit the end of the roll at the wrong time though, you'll end up with 2 seams on a tire. Not necessarily a bad thing, you just use the midpoint between the 2 seams as your heavy spot. But notice I said initially. For the first 3-400 miles (more or less depending on speed/load) the freshly cured rubber breaks in with the rubber that's already had a full tread's worth of miles put on (or 2, 3... I've seen a casing run as many as 7 lives though it's rare to see more than 3). When they finally start to jive with each other your high spot, if it wasn't too severe, has probably stayed at the same spot but settled down a bit and your heavy spot could have moved anywhere on the tire. If a driver/company was dead set on having a set of caps spun on a balancer we'd insist they run a good trip or two and come back.

As far as your issue goes though, you're on the right track taking it to a known competent shop anyway. I was always fond of the 'jackstand cruise' method, jacking all the drives up and running the truck up to a fairly low speed to look for runout. The safety risks inherent to "driving" a stationary vehicle means some guys and/or their managers don't like that method though. If the tires are confirmed to roll straight the next place I'd look would be to see if they were mounted with water in them- this is a double whammy of dipshittery as it wrecks the wheel (and if they're steel it makes it 10x harder for the next guy) and makes your poo poo shake like a 5 year old on pepsi and pop rocks. I once had a beer trailer that had so much water in the tires that the vibration was ruining the product.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Bandag was bought by Bridgestone a couple years ago and is now in direct competition with MRT (Michelin's retread division), and they're both pushing the quality really hard as a result. They won't actually sell you bulk tread anymore unless you've got their specific equipment, which is increasingly automated (the coolest bits being the casing analyzers, which create a vacuum around the tire and watch how the casing reacts to find separations or air pockets).
Anyways, balance on a cap is a pretty tricky business. They're not marked, but initially the high spot (red mark on a virgin) and heavy spot (yellow) are generally both at the seam of the tread on a cap. In theory, standard procedure for us was to mount them so that the seam on the outer is 180 degrees from the seam on the inner, though in practice ~98% of the time our caps were uniform enough we didn't have to bother unless we knew a driver ran bobtail or high speed/light load a lot or had a princess-and-the-pea level of sensitivity (which is why I suggested you probably have a bad one on there somewhere, it should never make a truck handle like Michael J. Fox is driving no matter how they're mounted). If they hit the end of the roll at the wrong time though, you'll end up with 2 seams on a tire. Not necessarily a bad thing, you just use the midpoint between the 2 seams as your heavy spot. But notice I said initially. For the first 3-400 miles (more or less depending on speed/load) the freshly cured rubber breaks in with the rubber that's already had a full tread's worth of miles put on (or 2, 3... I've seen a casing run as many as 7 lives though it's rare to see more than 3). When they finally start to jive with each other your high spot, if it wasn't too severe, has probably stayed at the same spot but settled down a bit and your heavy spot could have moved anywhere on the tire. If a driver/company was dead set on having a set of caps spun on a balancer we'd insist they run a good trip or two and come back.

As far as your issue goes though, you're on the right track taking it to a known competent shop anyway. I was always fond of the 'jackstand cruise' method, jacking all the drives up and running the truck up to a fairly low speed to look for runout. The safety risks inherent to "driving" a stationary vehicle means some guys and/or their managers don't like that method though. If the tires are confirmed to roll straight the next place I'd look would be to see if they were mounted with water in them- this is a double whammy of dipshittery as it wrecks the wheel (and if they're steel it makes it 10x harder for the next guy) and makes your poo poo shake like a 5 year old on pepsi and pop rocks. I once had a beer trailer that had so much water in the tires that the vibration was ruining the product.

So help me god if I find out they put loving golf balls inside the tire or something.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

So help me god if I find out they put loving golf balls inside the tire or something.
Aren't the CounterAct balance beads just tiny golf balls, in essence?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

Aren't the CounterAct balance beads just tiny golf balls, in essence?

The density of a golf ball isn't ideal, and they bounce around too much. The range of speed where they do more good than harm is very narrow. Beads work well enough until you have to clean them out to patch a hole (if any of them are hanging out around the beads of the tire when you air up it can cause separations- and they love to stick to the lube. there's a reason you're supposed to toss the whole bag in without opening it). A few of my customers have tried those rings that bolt between the wheel and drum (which are ball bearings set in fluid) and feedback was good until it got cold as poo poo and the fluid started freezing/gelling up on them. They have new one with a thinner silicone fluid that doesn't freeze though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
How do you mount a tire with water in it? Is this a matter of not drying your compressed air or are you saying people pull unmounted tires out of the rain and just chuck them on?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IIRC, it's what it sounds like - they intentionally add liquid (50/50 water/antifreeze, I think?) to help balance the wheel/tire instead of using weights. There's some :science: involving how much liquid should actually be added, I'm not even going to pretend to know how much liquid you put in or how it manages to work, but I'd imagine it would ruin the inside of the tire in a hurry.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Snowdens Secret posted:

How do you mount a tire with water in it? Is this a matter of not drying your compressed air or are you saying people pull unmounted tires out of the rain and just chuck them on?
I've only heard of it in the context of adding ballast to a tractor or trial truck, to lower the center of mass and increase the contact patch. All you need is a pump that puts out 20m of head and an adapter to screw it onto a valve stem. Once the ballast liquid is in, you can adjust the tyre pressure again like you normally would.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah I'm talking about mounting a tire with rainwater/snow/ice in it, not removing it out of pure laziness. Retreaded tires are generally stocked in quantities that are too large for indoor storage. Some of our guys would mount tires full right to the bead, some would even leave the ice in if they were frozen.
Google maps satellite of my old shop:

Bear in mind those are all stacked 10-12 high. And that's the smallest commercial shop in the city.
It's also the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. There's just enough water, it's nice and warm but still shady inside a tire.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 26, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Yeah I'm talking about mounting a tire with rainwater/snow/ice in it, not removing it out of pure laziness. Retreaded tires are generally stocked in quantities that are too large for indoor storage. Some of our guys would mount tires full right to the bead, some would even leave the ice in if they were frozen.
Google maps satellite of my old shop:

Bear in mind those are all stacked 10-12 high. And that's the smallest commercial shop in the city.
It's also the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. There's just enough water, it's nice and warm but still shady inside a tire.

Or if road service, the spares on the backs of trucks collect all kinds of poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

Or if road service, the spares on the backs of trucks collect all kinds of poo poo.

Oh gently caress does that ever get nasty. Canadian companies tend not to use spare racks though, you see 'em infrequently on trailers (usually trailers from the mid-late '90s) but never on a tractor. I've only used a truck spare twice (both were on Swift units, we took care of all their calls in western Canada). First was in the middle of winter and it took me more time to clean the ice and road grime/gravel out of the tire than the whole rest of the call took. And trailer spares if present were usually twice as hosed as the tire I was taking off anyway. I never left the shop on a call night without at least a cheap 22.5 cap in the back of my truck.

Goddamn, recalling all this poo poo after nearly 2 years out of it and pursuing another career has got me wanting to do a 'stories from the tire biz' thread, like all those GBS 'stories from my job' threads from around 04-06 before GBS was a shitpile. I miss the tire business to the point where I look forward to running over nails and wearing a set out, cause it means I can go back to the old shop (though only a couple of guys from the old crew are left, high turnover rates are inherent to the business). I think I'll be drafting a couple up in Word when I get time, and if I like the result and nobody says it's a bad idea for an AI thread I'll make it happen.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. I just hear the ads and had no idea how they actually work.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I had to get a tire repair guy to plug a hole / reset a trailer tire once while it was pouring rain, I bet some water got in there. poo poo happens.

Tommychu posted:

Goddamn, recalling all this poo poo after nearly 2 years out of it and pursuing another career has got me wanting to do a 'stories from the tire biz' thread, like all those GBS 'stories from my job' threads from around 04-06 before GBS was a shitpile. I miss the tire business to the point where I look forward to running over nails and wearing a set out, cause it means I can go back to the old shop (though only a couple of guys from the old crew are left, high turnover rates are inherent to the business). I think I'll be drafting a couple up in Word when I get time, and if I like the result and nobody says it's a bad idea for an AI thread I'll make it happen.
Just post, dude. I'd love to read stories from that side of the business.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 27, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tommychu posted:

Definitely, I love that type of thread. Plus, the best part of working a lovely job is having the stories to tell later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tommychu posted:

Oh gently caress does that ever get nasty. Canadian companies tend not to use spare racks though, you see 'em infrequently on trailers (usually trailers from the mid-late '90s) but never on a tractor. I've only used a truck spare twice (both were on Swift units, we took care of all their calls in western Canada). First was in the middle of winter and it took me more time to clean the ice and road grime/gravel out of the tire than the whole rest of the call took. And trailer spares if present were usually twice as hosed as the tire I was taking off anyway. I never left the shop on a call night without at least a cheap 22.5 cap in the back of my truck.

Post the poo poo anywhere, I'm sure you've seen some poo poo too. Had to call out the wrenchmobile tonight, gator bit me and ate my airlines right out of my brake chambers. Best part was my company trying to get me to tell them a cross street, in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere Nevada.

• Locked thread