Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I have a 4770k at stock for now, and a 7850 that I run at 1050 core and and 1350 memory...

I'm video-card limited, but so far it seems to run everything pretty nicely at 1080p with ultra details, or at least one step down from ultra. I'm glad I got the 2GB 7850, though. I'm going to wait to upgrade the video card until AMD prices become sane again, at least.

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I don't suppose we have any real information BUT do we have any indication of the next-generation of cards coming from AMD/NVIDIA in regards to pixel pushing power? With all this talk of 4k monitors and ~super gaming elite~ TN panel garbage manufactures insist on shoveling out, and my recent setup of a set up capable of surround gaming I'm intensly curious. Finding out that NOTHING on the market can really drive a game at 7680x1440 (and have trouble with just 2560x1440 at all) is just kinda sad. With 4k monitors VRAM limits actually start to count for something.
I don't see why that's sad, I mean there are basically no legit 4K video sources and won't be (at least in North America) for at least a couple years now, so gaming at 4K will be like gaming on 3x1080p or any other really demanding task for a while yet. I have two 290s and they run stuff really loving well at 1440p, I think that sounds about right. Even that is way off the regular price:performance curve, anything more demanding than that and you're looking at crazy money. I mean, 23" 1080p monitors are a hundred bucks now but at the same time, I don't think most people have even seen anything above 1080p, so it seems like monitors and GPUs are more or less keeping pace with each other.

What would be really cool, and the only reasonable interim solution, is some kind of hybrid eyefinity + adjustable render quality/variable fps setup, so you could like, have 3 1440p monitors, and aim to render the central one as close to 60fps as possible at 1440p, but render the side ones at 720p and 30fps or something like that. That would basically be like a really high detail ambilight setup :) it's not like the side monitors really matter for FPSes and the like if you're in landscape view anyway; that'd look really great while still running well without five figures worth of hardware.

edit: i obviously meant landscape, that was weird

Straker fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 11, 2014

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I have a reference 7970 and was wondering if it's feasible to replace the blower with an axial fan for better flow rate and lower noise. Nothing fancy and nothing destructive if I can help it. I have enough room in my case (it's a HTPC case) to fit an 80mm fan perpendicular to the card and I was planning having it blow along the length of the card and utilize stock cooling fins. Obviously, I'll need ducting to force the air through the fins but it'll be pointless if the flow rate of the fan is less than that of the stock blower.

Does anyone know what kind of flow rate the stock blower gets? Will any 4-pin fan work be able to use the same connecter as the stock blower?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Using an axial fan will require an open-air cooling design. Reference blowers rely on forced-air cooling through extremely dense heatsinks, and the impellers used are tuned for very high static pressure and moderate airflow accordingly. Replacing such a fan with axial fans requires changing the heatsink, as well - you're talking a full aftermarket job.

Beyond that, the 4-pin GPU fan header is just a standard PWM header electrically. Just needs a size adapter.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I uhh...I think I have a problem.

The 780Ti Classified absolutely dwarfs the GTX 670...

...but the radiator is much, much bigger.

Why not double the fun?

Pain in the rear end. 230 and 200mm fans have absolutely no standards whatsoever.

The stock cooler is really substantial.

Masking so I don't get gallium all over the surface mount parts.

Shiny.

Moment of truth.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 11, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
You pre-spread the thermal compound?! For shame! :pcgaming:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welcome to the party. We all have problems. That classy 780 is nuts. Didn't realize they had that much power management on the card.

I tore mine down earlier today because my flow as jacked. Opened up my cpu block and it was full of god knows what. I assume it's flux from not flushing my new rads, but after cleaning it, and putting it all back together, my flow is almost doubles. Also put my higher rated fan controller in for the rad fans and temps have gone from meh to low. I can basically play MWO (which only uses 1 card) with only passive cooling.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 11, 2014

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Welcome to the party. We all have problems. That classy 780 is nuts. Didn't realize they had that much power management on the card.

I tore mine down earlier today because my flow as jacked. Opened up my cpu block and it was full of god knows what. I assume it's flux from not flushing my new rads, but after cleaning it, and putting it all back together, my flow is almost doubles. Also put my higher rated fan controller in for the rad fans and temps have gone from meh to low. I can basically play MWO (which only uses 1 card) with only passive cooling.

It's probably plastisizer from the tubing. Mine was full of that poo poo. Slimy, white crap that floats at the top of your reservoir, yet most likely gets stuck in the fins of your blocks.

Factory Factory posted:

You pre-spread the thermal compound?! For shame! :pcgaming:

You have to with Liquid Ultra. It even comes with a brush!

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 11, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nah it wasn't that. I'm running the "plasticizer free" tubing. I'm gonna stick with my blame of not flushing my new radiators. I have been playing "MWO" for the last 2 hours with only a single fan on my 1 120mm radiator and all other 12 fans on the 3 360mm rads with better temps than I had last night. I never realized just how much a restricted waterblock could affect temps.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nostrum posted:

I uhh...I think I have a problem.

The 780Ti Classified absolutely dwarfs the GTX 670...

...but the radiator is much, much bigger.

Why not double the fun?

Pain in the rear end. 230 and 200mm fans have absolutely no standards whatsoever.

The stock cooler is really substantial.

Masking so I don't get gallium all over the surface mount parts.

Shiny.

Moment of truth.

Great googly-moogly. What case is that and what overclock did you get on that card? :pcgaming:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

I don't understand why I should fear the radiator.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

KingEup posted:

This radiator won't just scare you, it will gently caress you up for life.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

El Scotch posted:

Great googly-moogly. What case is that and what overclock did you get on that card? :pcgaming:

We'll see in a bit. Just re-installed Windows (haven't done a clean install in over a year). Running it up now. It's an NZXT H630. With some, uhh, crude modifications.

KingEup posted:

Just check out the most amazing loving website on earth. It's got it all; fixed width, unskippable flash intro (with sound!), completely devoid of useful information:

http://www.phobya.com/eng/phobya.html

EDIT:

I shudder to even speak these words but...I'm...well...I uhh...I'm power supply limited

Yep. I can push my 4770k to 5.0 GHz at 1.5v OR I can get 1430MHz on my 780Ti...but not both. Also, I can take out my GTX670 and get moderately better clocks in either. Welp! One of these is in my future:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 11, 2014

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://wccftech.com/details-nvidia-geforce-gtx-790-finally-surface-4992-cuda-cores-10-gb-memory-5/

GTX 790 details. 4992 CUDA cores, 10GB memory.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

So that thing is going to be like 1500 dollars isn't it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Isn't this that dude that posts every wild theory that crops up well before any reputable site touches it? Also, 10gigs of vram sounds like a weird number, surely it would be 6 or 12 gigs? I smell bullshit. (If it is real I can only say thank god I didn't buy a 780ti yet.)

I also saw a reference to an AMD vesuvius. If that product is real it's going to be hilarious watching AMD try to cool it with their pathetic cooler.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

I also saw a reference to an AMD vesuvius. If that product is real it's going to be hilarious watching AMD try to cool it with their pathetic cooler.

There's no reason to think AMD would use the blower, since the 7990 had a giant 3 fan open cooler that did a good job.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 11, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

There's no reason to think AMD would use the blower, since the 7990 had a giant 3 fan open cooler that did a good job.

drat. I guess I've been cheated out of my potential comedy...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'll believe it when i see it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

El Scotch posted:

I'll believe it when i see it.

Same. Those specs don't make sense. Not saying there won't be a dual-GPU card... But I don't think that's going to be it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Installed the dual 780 reference designs on my Fractal Define Mini (mother forgive me). Its actually not that much louder than a single one, and the top card is only ten degrees warmer than the bottom one.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone else find it kind of ironic that they are calling it Vesuvius?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Agreed posted:

This radiator won't just scare you, it will gently caress you up for life.

You know, I think the marketing team for aftermarket liquid coolers and workout supplement powders are the same people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone else find it kind of ironic that they are calling it Vesuvius?

The AMD one is Vesuvius, so it's actually perfectly appropriate.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Lord Bude posted:

The AMD one is Vesuvius, so it's actually perfectly appropriate.

That's what I meant.

Anyhoo, I cleaned out my cpu block last night because my loop had poo poo for waterflow even with dual 655 pumps. It was jammed up with what I assume was flux from the new radiators. I also put my old fan controller back in, as the new fan controller apparently can't run 3 fans per channel and undervolt without overheating itself. My cpu temps playing Bf4 on ultra at 7880x1440 never go over 49c now, and the gpus never go over 45 now. Water temp is a steady 28c :)

Lesson, don't be lazy when building your loop. Flush your poo poo out properly :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think I'm going to do something extra silly for next weekend. Friday is my birthday, and monday is MLK day so I think I'm gonna replumb my rig. But I think I think I'm gonna do something bad and use acrylic tubing.

why can't I just leave my rig alone :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

That's what I meant.

Anyhoo, I cleaned out my cpu block last night because my loop had poo poo for waterflow even with dual 655 pumps. It was jammed up with what I assume was flux from the new radiators. I also put my old fan controller back in, as the new fan controller apparently can't run 3 fans per channel and undervolt without overheating itself. My cpu temps playing Bf4 on ultra at 7880x1440 never go over 49c now, and the gpus never go over 45 now. Water temp is a steady 28c :)

Lesson, don't be lazy when building your loop. Flush your poo poo out properly :)

Should you not also clean your pumps? If your heatsink got that gunked up from the new radiators, I would hate to think what happened to the pumps.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright so after 2 days of tweaking, here's where I'm left:

Max temp was 48C, with a 4770k at 4700 core/4500 uncoreand 1.38v.

The memory is definitely topped out at 7800MHz (I know, how horrible.) The core clock will go much higher though, nearly 1.5GHz, HOWEVER:

There's currently an issue with the classified cards where you can't put more than 1.4v through them without a BSOD. EVGA is supposedly working on it but it has to do with Greenlight, so, I'm not holding out much hope. That core speed is with 1.38125v, which, with LLC, makes it right at the point of going over 1.4v.

Can't say I'm too upset though, Metro: LL with everything maxed, 2xSSAA, at a constant 60FPS (lowest drop is maybe 59) is a pretty sight to behold.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

So if I were to mod my card, I could possibly get up to 1.31V or so (allowing for the less robust power delivery, but also allowing for the cooling being really good and my airflow being killer, consistently idling at around 20ºC and VERY rarely topping 45ºC in modern games or benchmarks) and go from trivial 1250 to trivial 1350+?

1500MHz, 7.1 billion transistors, fuuuuuck me.

Hmm hmm hmm I don't have a second BIOS and I don't know if it'd be worth it to go in and dick around but I am sure wondering if I might have been better off going with a Classified now :aaaaa:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Agreed posted:

So if I were to mod my card, I could possibly get up to 1.31V or so (allowing for the less robust power delivery, but also allowing for the cooling being really good and my airflow being killer, consistently idling at around 20ºC and VERY rarely topping 45ºC in modern games or benchmarks) and go from trivial 1250 to trivial 1350+?

1500MHz, 7.1 billion transistors, fuuuuuck me.

Hmm hmm hmm I don't have a second BIOS and I don't know if it'd be worth it to go in and dick around but I am sure wondering if I might have been better off going with a Classified now :aaaaa:

You could do the same on 780s and Titans with flashed BIOS, a bunch of people ran them at ~1400 core with decent cooling.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

Isn't this that dude that posts every wild theory that crops up well before any reputable site touches it? Also, 10gigs of vram sounds like a weird number, surely it would be 6 or 12 gigs? I smell bullshit. (If it is real I can only say thank god I didn't buy a 780ti yet.)

Agree here, even the Titan had 6GB, and most cards now are 2GB, 3GB, and 4GB, so it would make more sense for the 790 to have either 6GB, 8GB or 12GB of onboard memory. If the 790 ends up being a real dual 780/780Ti card, I'd bet it ends up being an 8GB card with the same memory bus width of the current generation. I'd love to see EVGA make a dual GPU ACX cooler for that monster, if it's possible.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Arzachel posted:

You could do the same on 780s and Titans with flashed BIOS, a bunch of people ran them at ~1400 core with decent cooling.

I balk at the idea of running nearly 1.4V through my card, though I would be comfortable upping it by about .1V to get it from 1.21V to 1.31V - it's a GREAT chip, at stock it has no trouble at 1250MHz in everything, and can go higher on a per-title basis depending on the engine and all that jazz (I choose not to let it, though, I prefer a lowest-common-denominator overclock that won't require me fooling around with it to make sure it plays well in different games). Then again, I don't know if an extra 100MHz or so would be worth the hassle and fretting of flashing the BIOS... If anything, just makes me wonder yet again at the timing of the buy, should I have gone with the Classified? That's a mighty impressive overclock, nearly 70 GPixels/sec on 48 ROPs and an ungodly GTexel/sec figure... The tweaker in me wants to give a BIOS flash a shot just for the hell of it, to reach further and see how far it'll take me. I'm on air, but really good air, with a powerful side fan and air zones in my case ensuring excellent airflow, none of my component temperatures ever get very hot (VRMs included/especially) so that leaves me thinking that I might have that headroom to run more voltage through it.

But is maybe 100-125MHz worth the risk, with such expensive hardware and such a high performing card in the first place, I just don't know. Sensible me says "gently caress that, preserve the warranty, SCs don't have the Classified dual BIOS and EVGA probably wouldn't be okay with a warranty if I bricked it or burned it out under conditions they consider abuse." But then I think about how much gains I got going from the stock (very nice) SC ACX turbo to the manual OC I've got now and it is very tempting. Do 780Ti BIOSes for this kinda thing even exist? I assume it'd have to be specifically for the SC ACX since it has some fundamentally different behaviors. I knew where to go for the 780 voltmod BIOSes but...

Ugh, this is rabbit-hole thinking. I should be fine with the awesome thing I have, haha. But what if there's a lot more awesome just waiting behind the voltage door!

God drat you, :pcgaming:. There will be no peace so long as :pcgaming: dwells here.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You know I hate to break it to you after all you talk about it, but the SC versions of EVGA cards are literally identical to the base versions except for the slight stock speed boost.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Is this where I joke about how electromigration can't keep up with your buying habits? :v:

Honestly, I wouldn't do it not so much do to the voltage, since GK110s (and 290s and pretty much anything on TSMC 28nm except early-ish GK104s) seem to take voltage pretty well, but because I'm not man enough to flash the BIOS without having a second to fall back if I gently caress up. You've got a cool setup and seem happy with it. Unless you enjoy the tinkering more than actually playing games, in which case go hog wild!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can install second card and flash the original bios you backed up if you messed up any of your edits. The 780ti still uses basically the same bios as the Titan which is still incredibly similar to as far back as the 680. You really should edit your bios yourself instead of flashing someone elses. Here's the Google Translate version of the tool take makes Kepler bios editing really easy. I don't remember any of the offsets to do it manually anymore since that tool makes it so easy. I wouldn't recommend using the recently released software patches to force higher voltages though afterburner because you're fighting against the power management implementation and are probably going to waste a whole lot of heat. A potentiometer hard mod would be a better idea if you really wanted more than 1.21. That way you're just giving the GPU a set offset voltage and the driver/software doesn't know anything about it.

I've actually been messing around the other direction. I have my 680 down to using only .9v under low load situations.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 13, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

SlayVus posted:

Should you not also clean your pumps? If your heatsink got that gunked up from the new radiators, I would hate to think what happened to the pumps.

Nah, my pumps are fed from a reservoir that I can see is perfectly clean. The way everything is plumbed, the 2 new radiators feed straight into the CPU block which basically caught 99% of the debris. Also, I should be adding a third unlocked 290 this weekend :smaug:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The newest OBS streaming software, .6 beta, has a checkbox for using Nvidia Nvenc. I guess that's a big deal because Shadowplay won't do Twitch streams in windowed or borderless windowed mode. So if you use dual monitors for example, you can multitask and still stream with the Kepler hardware. I haven't tried it myself mind you but my best friend streams DayZ and he seemed psyched.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, my pumps are fed from a reservoir that I can see is perfectly clean. The way everything is plumbed, the 2 new radiators feed straight into the CPU block which basically caught 99% of the debris. Also, I should be adding a third unlocked 290 this weekend :smaug:

:pcgaming:

The only tiny regret I have about my whole 290(X) experience is that my card has Elpida memory as opposed to Hynix, but that aspect is a total crapshoot. Now that I've finally fixed rattling fan issue from the Gelid Icy Vision, it's been smooth sailing.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 13, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If a factory overclock version of a GPU is otherwise indentical as the baseline one from the same manufacturer, does that always mean it has been binned as having more potential? Or can the baseline model sometimes/usually be overclocked just as high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

If a factory overclock version of a GPU is otherwise indentical as the baseline one from the same manufacturer, does that always mean it has been binned as having more potential? Or can the baseline model sometimes/usually be overclocked just as high?

Depends on the yields of the gpu's. The answer is maybe.

They could all be amazing chips and they simply bin based on what their partners want to buy. Or there could be legit better chips that they pick out based on performance.