Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Oh, hey, look what I found while going through one of my image folders. I don't even remember having this, must have gotten it from a previous version of this thread :allears:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

Ah yes, those five pillars of story telling. The classical archetypes that informed the western literary tradition.

loving DILBERT. Did Dilbert even have a plot!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think the first season of the tv show was one continuous plot, but... Yeah, even then, Dilbert has pretty much no long-standing plotlines (from what I remember of it before I simultaneously got bored with it and read up on Scott Adams, anyways).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chexoid posted:

Ah yes, those five pillars of story telling. The classical archetypes that informed the western literary tradition.

The Dilbert "molecule" is Hilarity Ensues + Static Character + Status Quo is God. That's such a vague description that it could be literally any episodic comedy. I'm not exactly championing Dilbert as an example of high art but goddamn you could get deeper analysis of it by taking any random panel and showing it to any random person who had never heard of Dilbert before and asking for their impressions.

Let's see what tropers have to say about Dilbert!

quote:

Harsher in Hindsight: The strip began on April 16, 1989. Needless to say, its 18th birthday wasn't a good one, and every other birthday since hasn't been all that great. Fortunately, unlike Garfield, this strip doesn't do formal birthday celebration episodes. And life sucks in this strip's universe, anyway.

("wasn't a good one" links to the Wikipedia article on the Virginia Tech shooting)

The strip started on a day and then something completely unrelated happened decades later on the same date must catalog this important literary trope :supaburn:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Oh, hey, look what I found while going through one of my image folders. I don't even remember having this, must have gotten it from a previous version of this thread :allears:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

Notice how themes aren't mentioned at all.

I think I've said it before, but if tropers summarised 1984 they'd say that its a story where a guy wakes up, meets a girl, has sex with said girl, then gets arrested by the government and brainwashed. That's all they'd have to say.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

U.T. Raptor posted:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

I'm glad this bullshit didn't exist when I was a clueless, impressionable 13-year old trying to take up fiction writing. Of course, everything I wrote back then was hilariously bad, but I at least saw the writing process as something very different than playing with Legos, and I was able to develop my abilities over time. If I could go to TV Tropes back then, I might have said "Wow, this is easy" and decided that the reason no one liked my stories was because world wasn't ready for me before quitting in frustration, and I wouldn't have developed a rewarding hobby.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MinistryofLard posted:

Notice how themes aren't mentioned at all.

I think I've said it before, but if tropers summarised 1984 they'd say that its a story where a guy wakes up, meets a girl, has sex with said girl, then gets arrested by the government and brainwashed. That's all they'd have to say.

Bonus irony as cutting up facts and stories into easily digestible chunks, regardless of the reasoning or truth is basically Winston's job.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

U.T. Raptor posted:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

Look at how many pagelinks "Conflict" gets (400) versus poo poo like "Woobie" (5500) or "Badass" (7900). Truly, Tropers have their storytelling priorities in order!

edit: Oh sorry, I was mistaken. It's not 400 links, it's 40. :suicide:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

System Metternich posted:

Look at how many pagelinks "Conflict" gets (400) versus poo poo like "Woobie" (5500) or "Badass" (7900). Truly, Tropers have their storytelling priorities in order!

edit: Oh sorry, I was mistaken. It's not 400 links, it's 40. :suicide:

Well, it's understandable, since of their five example "story molecules," Conflict is only in one of them. Same with only one of them having a Hero. None of them have Story Arcs, Climaxes, or Endings though.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I like the 10 links to the concept of antagonist. Certainly not some important bedrock of fiction.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Alpacalips Now posted:

I'm glad this bullshit didn't exist when I was a clueless, impressionable 13-year old trying to take up fiction writing. Of course, everything I wrote back then was hilariously bad, but I at least saw the writing process as something very different than playing with Legos, and I was able to develop my abilities over time. If I could go to TV Tropes back then, I might have said "Wow, this is easy" and decided that the reason no one liked my stories was because world wasn't ready for me before quitting in frustration, and I wouldn't have developed a rewarding hobby.

You know, I did peruse TVTropes when I was in high school. I didn't know anything about the creepiness or the forums-side bullshit, but I had a gas of a time reading the wiki proper. But I have to say, even when I *tried* to use it as a writing tool, I couldn't. I remember they had (still have?) a writing tool called a "Random Plot Generator." It gives you the "trope" hero, the trope villain, the plot, a challenge, a setting, and maybe some other things. In theory, it was a useful tool to just get the ball rolling if you wanted to write something just for the sake of writing (and if you were thoughtful enough to know that you could discard any of the elements you rolled if you thought of something better to use instead- whoa, fiction as something malleable that the author actually has *FULL CONTROL* over??? Put me in a basket and send me down the river!).

But as far as real use goes, as everyone here has pointed out at one time or another, all it is is a collection of "things that happen in media." It is a hardware store where all of the items are labeled either in undivinable esoteric references or simply in Japanese, all of the packages contain no useful information on what the item does or how to use it, they just tell you about famous Japanese buildings that were built using it (or WEREN'T built using it!! Or were built using a SIMILAR item!! Or, who cares! I just want to talk about this one building SO MUCH!!!), and if you ask any of the employees for help they just want to talk about sex, rape, the inherently inferior races, or their favorite Japanese building.

While the manager had deliberately laid out the store in a way that makes it weirdly easy for you as a customer to gently caress things up if you want, difficult for eager customers to find what they need, and while also having the roster of employee SSN#s available if you lean over the checkout counter a little bit.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That has to be one of the most infuriating goddamn images I've ever seen.

rottweiler.jpg

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

MinistryofLard posted:

Don't forget shipping.

Fitzdraco
Aug 4, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Dilbert's appearance on the list is extremely appropriate. In one of the early hardbacks Scott Adams added an appendix which broke down his basic formula for generating humor, and it's really like a prototrope for putting together crappy humor. Six different ingredients for humor were presented for the enterprising young humor writer to use including cute, cruelty, and weirdness. Then it gave examples on how to use this information.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D. posted:

To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme and figures of speech, then ask two questions: 1) How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and 2) How important is that objective? Question 1 rates the poem's perfection; question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter.

If the poem's score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph and its importance is plotted on the vertical, then calculating the total area of the poem yields the measure of its greatness.

A sonnet by Byron might score high on the vertical but only average on the horizontal. A Shakespearean sonnet, on the other hand, would score high both horizontally and vertically, yielding a massive total area, thereby revealing the poem to be truly great. As you proceed through the poetry in this book, practice this rating method. As your ability to evaluate poems in this matter grows, so will, so will your enjoyment and understanding of poetry.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/DeadPoetsSociety

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Bonus irony as cutting up facts and stories into easily digestible chunks, regardless of the reasoning or truth is basically Winston's job.

Like they would actually understand that. You know how much they hate classic literature. In their eyes, this is what they see Waiting for Godot as:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, well, the teacher who made them read it in high school was the same one who told them to stop treating writing like sticking a bunch of cliche-Legos together and expecting a story didn't recognize their genius, so of course it's terrible.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

U.T. Raptor posted:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

I've always felt that the fanservice tropes truly are the "noble" gases of their site.

Also why do nerds feel the need to make a loving periodic table of everything?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

U.T. Raptor posted:

BEEP BOOP STORYTELLING:

fanon has a higher popularity than canon :allears:

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: fanon has a higher popularity than canon

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

quote:

Sliding Scale of Cynicism: Although deconstructed, double subverted, and generally played with beyond all recognition, the film still tries to promote an idealistic viewpoint, even though a lot of situations in DPS are firmly on the cynical end.

Look at this. It's like they're so close to understanding the concept of a theme, but then they can't do anything with it because you can't break adolescent frustration, the struggle between conformity and self-expression, or the question of what makes a good teacher into 1's and 0's.

And gently caress that guy who called Neil's suicide a Stupid Sacrifice, a trope page featuring a picture of a woman jumping in front of Superman to stop a bullet. How the gently caress does someone not understand tragedy, and why does said person attempt to analyze anything?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

anti-magic posted:

I've always felt that the fanservice tropes truly are the "noble" gases of their site.

I figured they'd be the precious metals, like gold, silver, and platinum, since, in the mind of a troper, they're more valuable.

quote:

Also why do nerds feel the need to make a loving periodic table of everything?

Because that's how their minds work?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

These links speak volumes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Suspense
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tension

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there some way to get this as the thread title?

TVTropes Pleads the Fifth - Fanon: 1300 Results, Tension: A broken redirect

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Penny Paper posted:

Because that's how their minds work?

Close. It's how they want their minds to work. Every XKCD-quoting, Bitcoin shilling turbonerd that spends more time on MMO Theorycraft than they do playing the game has been barely passable beyond high school pre-Calc. The two people I've known like this that want to be writers talk at great length about how they don't want some rear end in a top hat editor to ruin *~*~their story~*~*. Also I can't read the thing because it's not ready after three years. Despite this they will introduce themselves as writers and unironically say poo poo like "I'm going to try SCIENCE!"

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Razorwired posted:

Close. It's how they want their minds to work. Every XKCD-quoting, Bitcoin shilling turbonerd that spends more time on MMO Theorycraft than they do playing the game has been barely passable beyond high school pre-Calc. The two people I've known like this that want to be writers talk at great length about how they don't want some rear end in a top hat editor to ruin *~*~their story~*~*. Also I can't read the thing because it's not ready after three years. Despite this they will introduce themselves as writers and unironically say poo poo like "I'm going to try SCIENCE!"

It's been said in this thread before, but tropers don't want to write something, they want to have written something. If anything, the thing they would want to write would be a wiki detailing their super-original fantasy or sci-fi worldbuilding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Writing a setting as encyclopedia entries would be an interesting idea, if you could pull it off. Some books that are written as In-Universe supplements are quite fun to read (If you're a Star Wars fan, the Essential Guides are what I'm suggesting). But knowing tropers, they'd find a way to gently caress that up too.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Arcsquad12 posted:

Writing a setting as encyclopedia entries would be an interesting idea, if you could pull it off.

There's a postmodern fiction book called Dictionary of the Khazars which does this. Also a supplement called the Spherewalker's Handbook for the long-defunct RPG Everway. Both are great.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's also The Tough Guide to Fantasyland, which pre-dates TVT by the better part of a decade. Also it manages to be funny and relatively lacking in self-indulgence, so, y'know, bonus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Writing a setting as encyclopedia entries would be an interesting idea, if you could pull it off. Some books that are written as In-Universe supplements are quite fun to read (If you're a Star Wars fan, the Essential Guides are what I'm suggesting). But knowing tropers, they'd find a way to gently caress that up too.

Miniature versions of two of the textbooks in Harry Potter were produced for a charity. I forget what the other one was, but I owned Quidditch Through the Ages, which was an almost Hitchhiker's Guide-esque history book on the ridiculous logic and events that produced the sport.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cleretic posted:

Miniature versions of two of the textbooks in Harry Potter were produced for a charity. I forget what the other one was, but I owned Quidditch Through the Ages, which was an almost Hitchhiker's Guide-esque history book on the ridiculous logic and events that produced the sport.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's apparently getting a film adaptation, which should be interesting. But yeah, little flavor books like that as the basis for a setting would be neat.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It's apparently getting a film adaptation, which should be interesting. But yeah, little flavor books like that as the basis for a setting would be neat.

Fantastic Beasts was pretty great. Had little notes in the margins and whatnot from Harry, Ron, and occasionally Hermione. Besides that the information itself was pretty interesting, really. It's an awesome little book.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've only read a bit of it, but the Dune Encyclopedia springs to mind.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
Zack Parsons also did that with the first part of "That Insidious Beast" (in the form of a TV guide from an alternate hyper religious imperialistic America) and also in the "CONEX: Convict Connections" series.

DoctorPresident fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 13, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Yes, fictive documents are a thing in speculative fiction. I am sure TVtropes has a page on it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Yes, fictive documents are a thing in speculative fiction. I am sure TVtropes has a page on it.

It does, yes.

Didn't spot much that was outstandingly terrible in it, though.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
hey! Did you know that there's another TVTropes spinoff focused on fetishes? Meet the Fetish Fuel Wiki.

This is their "mascot", Fetish-Fan:

Let's see the toys section:

trying too hard posted:

Those plushies of Lovecraftian monsters often have tentacles....

what the Christ? posted:

Bionicle figures in their first run. Gali was an early rule 34 for me, just because of her story (only female out of six superheroes, and the rarity of females out of the midgets inhabiting the island...)

Anything will turn me on posted:

As fun and innocent Mr. Bucket may have seemed as a child, it's kind of difficult not to notice the sexual innuendo as an adult. "The first one to get their balls into Mr. Bucket wins"...It just doesn't seem quite right.

call the cops posted:

Uh, hello? The hula-hoop anyone? It dates back to ancient Egypt! I'm telling you, anything that can teach a girl to do that with her hips is not just a childrens' toy.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

DoctorPresident posted:

As fun and innocent Mr. Bucket may have seemed as a child, it's kind of difficult not to notice the sexual innuendo as an adult. "The first one to get their balls into Mr. Bucket wins"...It just doesn't seem quite right.

This is the kind of person who is tickled with scandalous perversion whenever any major sport played with a ball is mentioned.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

DoctorPresident posted:

Zack Parsons also did that with the first part of "That Insidious Beast" (in the form of a TV guide from an alternate hyper religious imperialistic America) and also in the "CONEX: Convict Connections" series.

That Insidious Beast, of course, has its own tropes page.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Troper posted:

Bionicle figures in their first run. Gali was an early rule 34 for me, just because of her story (only female out of six superheroes, and the rarity of females out of the midgets inhabiting the island...)

For the record, this is what that troper found sexually attractive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Obnoxipus posted:

For the record, this is what that troper found sexually attractive:

Ah, but the troper said the first run:

I don't really get their logic. They were sexually attracted because the character was the lone female, but you can't even tell their gender apart if the story lines didn't tell you.

sweeperbravo posted:

This is the kind of person who is tickled with scandalous perversion whenever any major sport played with a ball is mentioned.

So, a troper.

• Locked thread