Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
What's the best way to get from Hongquiao to Pudong airport? I was dumb and booked a hotel near the airport I was coming in from today, not the one I'm leaving from tomorrow. :facepalm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/transportation/pudong-airport-bus.htm

First one. There's also buses from around town if you wanna chill in the city at all

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Be Depressive posted:

What's the best way to get from Hongquiao to Pudong airport? I was dumb and booked a hotel near the airport I was coming in from today, not the one I'm leaving from tomorrow. :facepalm:

Depending on the time of day the line 2 metro connects them and is easy and cheap, and usually faster than buses or cabs.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ask your students if they can go to HK without a passport, then tell them to shut their stupid noise holes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Be Depressive posted:

There's an express bus from Hongqiao to Pudong. It's pretty reliable, cheaper than a taxi, and lets you off at either of the two terminals. Line 2 takes forever in my experience and it's a busy line so you have to deal with everything that comes with that.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Magna Kaser posted:

Hahaha unless she can find a couple of international student rubes she can scam it's about a million times cheaper to pay you that money.

You do have a real RP, right? If you're an illegal F/X visa holder then it's not really that much cheaper but still a lot more troublesome.

Yeah, I'm here on a RP with a proper visa and such.

To clarify: I'm being made to make up Weekends (full days of work) on Weekdays (partial days). I've also been steadily working about 22-26 hours a week (contract stipulates 20) for about a month. My contract doesn't say squat about special days or changes or working extra aside from being allowed to decide whether or not to do overtime, and if I agree to do it, it's 80RMB an hour. Which I know isn't much, but, well, it's a lot to me.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Ok, that doesn't make sense. What I am talking about is that the government will specify specific make-up days which are generally required by all employers, and it sometimes results in 10-day workweeks. Generally weekends become weekdays, not the other way around. Go ahead and ask for more money, you have my blessing, and are in the right.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ceciltron posted:

Yeah, I'm here on a RP with a proper visa and such.

To clarify: I'm being made to make up Weekends (full days of work) on Weekdays (partial days). I've also been steadily working about 22-26 hours a week (contract stipulates 20) for about a month. My contract doesn't say squat about special days or changes or working extra aside from being allowed to decide whether or not to do overtime, and if I agree to do it, it's 80RMB an hour. Which I know isn't much, but, well, it's a lot to me.

80RMB is nothing and even in a tier nothing city that's insanely low. You need to find a new job.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
With regards to finding a new job, how badly exactly can a public school gently caress you over in terms of finding employment elsewhere in China if you break your contract?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bad day posted:

Ok, that doesn't make sense. What I am talking about is that the government will specify specific make-up days which are generally required by all employers, and it sometimes results in 10-day workweeks. Generally weekends become weekdays, not the other way around. Go ahead and ask for more money, you have my blessing, and are in the right.

Sometimes on the long holidays the weekdays can become weekends. Last year I worked during the National Day holiday week and that Thursday and Friday counted as "weekends", not as "holidays", which was a pretty big difference in overtime compensation.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I dunno I have learned that I should just do what my boss asks me to do and ask for a hefty raise every year, or meet other people who are better paid and try to get their jobs. But if you work at a training center 8/10 chance you should find a new job anyway.

Omg thus place is playing a loving Eagles greatest hits and everybody is German why won't my friends leave. Why did I bring my iPad but leave my audio cables in the hotel room. If only in could plug In there'd be booty shaking all over this semi-traditional overpriced Western pub.

PPRC u want in on my event promotion company? I want to throw one-time parties at different locations around China and develop a brand that will launch performers and genres into the Chinese mainstream, primarily from taking a percentage of royalties from performers and creating event-driven events in the Mainland cultural pool. And it's all sampling or instrumental based so there's nothing to censor. I know we are traditional enemies ever since the ponytar incident but if you want in on my ponzi scheme/foreign owned enterprise I am serious about all of these things.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

bad day posted:

Omg thus place is playing a loving Eagles greatest hits and everybody is German why won't my friends leave. Why did I bring my iPad but leave my audio cables in the hotel room. If only in could plug In there'd be booty shaking all over this semi-traditional overpriced Western pub.

http://youtu.be/h-vwPuiILBc

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Let me see if I can get you my account without having all of my credit card info still attached to it. Do you have pms or an email I can send to? Or heck, I could just send it via wechat

Edit: CC info isn't attached to the account, so give me some contact info and we can set this up

My user name on the wechat group is the same as here, add me and let's get this sorted it! Thanks again! This is a real life saver as it gives me a chance to try a VPN out!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have decided that I will host a goonmeet here in Tianjin with a specialized tour of Tianjin that will examine the year and a half TWM graced us with his presence. It will include stories of the man the myth the legend TWM, visits to his old apartments, interviews with people that met him in real life and at the end of the tour a signed picture of me and TWM from the expat bar's second birthday party where we are both wearing suits.

The first five people to sign up get to come, it is 150yuan for the tour. If you are interested just let me know, ho ho~

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Are there going to be people who will jump out and shout hilarious racial and sexual slurs at us as we walk around?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GuestBob posted:

Are there going to be people who will jump out and shout hilarious racial and sexual slurs at us as we walk around?

That will cost extra.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

But I do that for free everyday!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You need to find a new job.

You're leaving out an essential step there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

You're leaving out an essential step there.

I recommend finding a job first before you quit your job here. Your job is tied to your visa and the PSB loves collecting for the policemen's baijiu and hooker ball.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 13, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I recommend finding a job first before you quit your job here. Your job is tied to your visa and the PSB loves collecting for the policemen's baijiu and hooker ball.

This shows a ridiculous amount of foresight and understanding of Chinese visa regulations for this thread, I am actually really impressed.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I for one am greatly disappointed by the Ayatollah's flagrant disregard for the established order here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Badastronaut whenever you post I see your name as Badstronaut. Is this awesome? y/n

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I have no problem with this.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I recently realized he's a badass astronaut. Has a cool apartment number too, must have cost extra.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Has anyone who has brought their Chinese spouse or friends or whatever to the US not been given an A-number? My wife and I are working on applying for her green card and she was not given an A-number upon entry in Chicago. When I called the immigration hotline or whatever they said I have to make an info pass appointment and go to my local office to get it, which is in Orlando and not exactly convenient.

Should we have been given this upon arrival? Who is at fault here? It's nowhere in her passport that I can find and she said nobody gave her any other paperwork upon entry.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Cuatal posted:

Has anyone who has brought their Chinese spouse or friends or whatever to the US not been given an A-number? My wife and I are working on applying for her green card and she was not given an A-number upon entry in Chicago. When I called the immigration hotline or whatever they said I have to make an info pass appointment and go to my local office to get it, which is in Orlando and not exactly convenient.

Should we have been given this upon arrival? Who is at fault here? It's nowhere in her passport that I can find and she said nobody gave her any other paperwork upon entry.

This might help.

Apparently the alien number is listed as the ‘Registration Number’ on the front of U.S. visas says that page. So yep, she definitely has one. Probably doesn't help that that same number has like 3-4 different names judging by GIS results.

e: well poo poo, maybe systran is right and this info I posted is wrong... either way, make sure you're sure before doing anything

SB35 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 14, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I work as a visa advisor, but I still can't tell you this definitively because the system is such poo poo. For filling out the AR-11, we give our incoming students (who are on F-visas) a sheet that tells them:

quote:

If you have OPT, your A# (also known as USCIS#) is located on your OPT card. If you do not have OPT, you do not have an A#/USCIS#. Type in "000000000" if you cannot leave it blank.

I think you only get an A# if you are being paid in some way, or if you start applying for a green card. "OPT" in the above quote is mentioning "Optional Practical Training," where students get jobs after they graduate. You don't automatically get an A# when you come into the U.S.

This conflicts with the advice on the E-Verify Help site which tells you that the Registration Number is the A#. I'm looking at an F1 visa that was issued on December 24th, 2013, and it DOES NOT match the one on that site. The visa I have here has a "control number," rather than a registration number, and it's 14 digits, which will not fit in the A# field.

What kind of visa did you bring your spouse/friends in on? Is it just a B-visa? What kind of number does it have on the visa stamp? I unfortunately advise mostly on J-1 visas, somewhat on F-1 visas, and only in passing on B-visas, so I can't give you great advice if they are here as tourists. I'm guessing they don't actually have an A# at this point, but they probably will get assigned one in Orlando like he said.

You probably don't want to put some random number that you think might be the A# onto Green Card application forms, because then you'll just delay the process if they mail you back in like two months and tell you, "You need to go to Orlando to get an A#."

It's also worth noting that with immigration stuff, if they mess up they will almost never take responsibility, and you will always have to act as if it was your fault. For instance if they write the wrong visa type on your passport when you enter the country, YOU have to drive up to the nearest port of entry to get it fixed; they will not mail you a new one or do anything to make up for their mistake.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

systran posted:

It's also worth noting that with immigration stuff, if they mess up they will almost never take responsibility, and you will always have to act as if it was your fault. For instance if they write the wrong visa type on your passport when you enter the country, YOU have to drive up to the nearest port of entry to get it fixed; they will not mail you a new one or do anything to make up for their mistake.

Reading Kafka's "The Castle" or "The Trial" is probably as good training for this aspect as anything else.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

It's a B1/B2 visa. I guess we'll just go to Orlando at some point and hopefully hit up Disney and stuff while we're there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There are Beijing goons in Orlando. And congratulations on your marriage. Can you post a wedding picture like be depressive?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Your A# is decided before you even enter the country and should be right there on the printed visa - on my wife's CR-1 it was listed as "registration number" just missing the prepending "A0"; I presume all the other immigrant visas are the same, just try adding A0 to the beginning of the control number or something. Also the immigrant visa itself is a green card - it says so right there on the visa itself.

Edit: wait, the B-series is a non-immigrant visa so why would they issue A#s for them? If your spouse is immigrating for the purpose of permanent residency, shouldn't your spouse be on a K-, IR-, or CR- visa? Why are they on a B- at all?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 15, 2014

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

caberham posted:

There are Beijing goons in Orlando. And congratulations on your marriage. Can you post a wedding picture like be depressive?

His pictures were cool but my wife and I both hate that poo poo and didn't take any. They're normally amazingly retarded and so ridiculously edited even the people's own family can't identify them.

Sheep posted:

Your A# is decided before you even enter the country and should be right there on the printed visa - on my wife's CR-1 it was listed as "registration number" just missing the prepending "A0"; I presume all the other immigrant visas are the same, just try adding A0 to the beginning of the control number or something. Also the immigrant visa itself is a green card - it says so right there on the visa itself.

Edit: wait, the B-series is a non-immigrant visa so why would they issue A#s for them? If your spouse is immigrating for the purpose of permanent residency, shouldn't your spouse be on a K-, IR-, or CR- visa? Why are they on a B- at all?

It was the only visa they would give her.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Cuatal posted:

It was the only visa they would give her.

Yikes, sounds like you went about immigrating in a completely incorrect manner. While you can file for AOS and transfer from B-1/2 to I-551 holder, that method is mostly for people who were like "I was in the states on a trip, met someone, we fell in love and got married and thus we're filing for an AOS and I happen to be in the country" not your case, which sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) "we were already married and flew in on a B-1/2 because we either didn't file an I-130 or it was rejected", in which case you should have gone through the standard I-130 filing process or fixed whatever was wrong if your previous I-130 was rejected. They're probably not going to let you file for AOS now because you'd basically be commiting visa fraud - the B- series is not for immigration, and USCIS definitely can and will deny your spouse's AOS application if they think that your spouse entered on a B- series with the intent to immigrate.

So yeah your first step is going to be contacting an immigration lawyer, as far as I can tell, since I don't think many SA posters will have much experience going through such nonstandard methods to immigrate. You could always try asking in the US immigration A/T thread or check the forums on Visajourney.com, I guess.

Edit: to answer your question regarding A#s/green cards, the immigrant visas themselves act as temporary I-551s (green cards) until the actual card arrives in the mail, so for 99% of people, applying for an I-551 isn't a thing they have to do because it's already done well before the spouse even enters the country, and the A# is right there on the visa itself since they're pre-registered. To put it bluntly, it sounds like the people who are at fault are you two, I'm afraid.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 15, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Good info, Sheep, I never deal with immigrant visas at all :D

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
When it comes to international immigration and trafficking spouses to other countries just do whatever seems easiest and don't think about it too much, things will likely sort themselves out.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I am surprised they would issue a b visa to someone who is married to a USC anyway.

Cuatal, I don't know the exact details of your situation, but if you married in China, your wife might have to return to China and you file for the I130 there.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Return to China. Return directly to China.Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect £200.

I did the tourist -> dependent visa in HK because
1) I knew it was possible and allowed despite them asking you to file in your home nation
and 2) Hong Kong is not the bitchiest, most dictatorial, and arrogant visa system in the world, that treats you like a criminal for wanting to spend your tourist $ there, even with legit passport and visa entitlement. That would be the US. FINGERPRINTS PLEASE!

Sheep posted:

Yikes, sounds like you went about immigrating in a completely incorrect manner. While you can file for AOS and transfer from B-1/2 to I-551 holder, that method is mostly for people who were like "I was in the states on a trip, met someone, we fell in love and got married and thus we're filing for an AOS and I happen to be in the country" not your case, which sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong) "we were already married and flew in on a B-1/2 because we either didn't file an I-130 or it was rejected", in which case you should have gone through the standard I-130 filing process or fixed whatever was wrong if your previous I-130 was rejected. They're probably not going to let you file for AOS now because you'd basically be commiting visa fraud - the B- series is not for immigration, and USCIS definitely can and will deny your spouse's AOS application if they think that your spouse entered on a B- series with the intent to immigrate.

So yeah your first step is going to be contacting an immigration lawyer, as far as I can tell, since I don't think many SA posters will have much experience going through such nonstandard methods to immigrate. You could always try asking in the US immigration A/T thread or check the forums on Visajourney.com, I guess.

Edit: to answer your question regarding A#s/green cards, the immigrant visas themselves act as temporary I-551s (green cards) until the actual card arrives in the mail, so for 99% of people, applying for an I-551 isn't a thing they have to do because it's already done well before the spouse even enters the country, and the A# is right there on the visa itself since they're pre-registered. To put it bluntly, it sounds like the people who are at fault are you two, I'm afraid.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 16, 2014

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
SE Asia is soon to be known as the Sino-Metropolitan-Sprawl:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/laos/10572583/Chinas-120mph-railway-arriving-in-Laos.html

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pro prc wants to chime in and say that the us embassy assumes all foreign and especially asian marriages are mail order brides and dick you over.

And Cuatal is an idiot for not doing his homework.

It would be nice to prove pro prc wrong. Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

caberham posted:

Pro prc wants to chime in and say that the us embassy assumes all foreign and especially asian marriages are mail order brides and dick you over.

And Cuatal is an idiot for not doing his homework.

It would be nice to prove pro prc wrong. Who knows?

Properk should just pay his :10bux: and say it himself. Also he wants you (Cuatal) to commit immigration fraud. His friend totally did it in Switzerland one time.