Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thanks. The Wonderman ones feel kind of like Chris Hastings's style (Dr. McNinja webcomic) but since he mentions the comics he DOES write, I assumed it would have come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I started actually reading Marvel comics like three years ago and have been working my way up from House of M and am currently at Dark Reign and Incredible Hercules has been my favorite title so far. It's really well written and drawn. The bit with Ares and Wonderman happen in like first or second issue and I definitely recommend checking it out.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

What's the optimal build for Captain America? I've got a 2/2/3 and just pulled a fourth blue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

3 Yellow/ 5 Red / 5 Blue is my preferred Cap build. Yellow takes forever to build up, so think of it as 'Nice if it gets there', but having TWO abilities that can overwrite any tile type is great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Devil Dinosaur is no longer repeatable. I'm not sure which makes me sadder: that the 50 HP from that one is now a crapshoot, or that there is now an end to the biting.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Playin' this game too much.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I have no idea how to beat the lv200's anymore without a lucky board. If they get a single tile cascade Ares just one-shots everybody :(

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think I'm ok with shields as long as they keep putting enough HP for everyone to get one in the middle of the rewards.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I have no idea how to beat the lv200's anymore without a lucky board. If they get a single tile cascade Ares just one-shots everybody :(

I ran Wolverine and Spiderman with boosts for 6 blue to start. Stun them all with Ares getting the third stun. Constantly collect blue, green and red, spam strike tiles and don't use your red very often. I think I used Adamantium Slash 2 or 3 times and healed one. Having regular matches that deal 1k+ really helps. If Venom gets free with enough black to Devour, make sure your Web tiles are under his limit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zamin posted:

I ran Wolverine and Spiderman with boosts for 6 blue to start. Stun them all with Ares getting the third stun. Constantly collect blue, green and red, spam strike tiles and don't use your red very often. I think I used Adamantium Slash 2 or 3 times and healed one. Having regular matches that deal 1k+ really helps. If Venom gets free with enough black to Devour, make sure your Web tiles are under his limit.

My Spidey's only got 2 blue so I ran Wolverine and Hulk and tanked the damage with Big Green. Lv5 Red on Punisher speeds things up, and if I had any black for him Molotov would've been handy.

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North
Just cashed in 50 standard tokens. Results:

2 stars:
1 Daken
2 Hawkeye Modern
1 Thor
1 Moonstone
1 Bullseye
1 Black Widow Modern
1 Wolverine (Atonishing)
1 Storm Modern

3 stars:
1 Loki

So that was pretty crappy. Would have loved some Spideys

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there anything that dictates how much characters get buffed during these events? My dinky one cover Cap had his HP blown up almost elevenfold while my similarly dinky Hawkeye Modern can be knocked out by a stiff wind.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

AnonSpore posted:

Is there anything that dictates how much characters get buffed during these events? My dinky one cover Cap had his HP blown up almost elevenfold while my similarly dinky Hawkeye Modern can be knocked out by a stiff wind.

The big crystal means more than the little one? They used to give actual numbers. I think it ranges from 80-200%

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The only way I can get through the high-level Ares missions is with Spidey and IM 40 together. The enemy is constantly stealing all the good colors, so IM 40 has to keep being a mana battery. Plus Ares keeps one-shotting Wolverine. IM 40's red attack is boosted to over 5.5k as well for me, so ha makes up the damage differential.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've pretty much just decided I'm not bothering to fight any of the battles with Ares. All I can say is thank gently caress they nerfed Rags because those two together are horrible enough even now. Then there's Venom, gently caress him too. That's the worst fight, Ares, Ragnarok and Venom, all with higher levels than they should be able to get. Stupid cheating computer.

Still, managed to scrape into the rank to get an Ares of my own. Probably won't use him but I'm still wanting at least one cover of everyone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I really like Ares but jesus he is the worst at a high level. Two matches away from one-shotting anyone that isn't a tank. Spider-Man is literally the only reason those fights are beatable for me.

I got my first Ragnarok red cover this morning :unsmith:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
So...I need a punisher to get into the highest ranks. And what do I win for those ranks?

A punisher. :smith:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Anyone have any stats on what a maxed Cap does during the event? I have him at lvl 20 and he's hitting harder than my maxed Thor.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

McDragon posted:

I've pretty much just decided I'm not bothering to fight any of the battles with Ares. All I can say is thank gently caress they nerfed Rags because those two together are horrible enough even now. Then there's Venom, gently caress him too. That's the worst fight, Ares, Ragnarok and Venom, all with higher levels than they should be able to get. Stupid cheating computer.

Still, managed to scrape into the rank to get an Ares of my own. Probably won't use him but I'm still wanting at least one cover of everyone.

Way worse with Dakken because he fills up the reds you need for wolverine to even put a dent in the team of over 40k HP. Every time I have to fight a high level team and I can't have Spiderman/ Wolverine/ Punisher, I want to hit my dick with a hammer. Wolverine and Spiderman are essential, but getting to skip 40% of each enemy's HP is a godsend.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The most success I've had against those extremely high level Ares teams has been Thor/Storm/Hulk, with Hulk tanking greens and churning tiles. It's not foolproof and requires boosts but when the board plays out right you can win in a handful of turns.

Spider-Man has a much better stun than Storm does but it's really Storm green that drives the engine; especially when you get unlucky with Thor's yellow not matching greens. As long as you have enough to activate Storm or can make a few matches with Hulk tanking, you can get all that green back. I got a few first turn kills using this team. It's still a tossup though because Storm has so few hit points Ares can easily wipe her out if he gets to activate his skills, and Storm still tanks on blue matches.

Speaking of Hulk tank, it really feels like his Anger should be activating more than it does, and it sometimes activates when I wouldn't think it would.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

Speaking of Hulk tank, it really feels like his Anger should be activating more than it does, and it sometimes activates when I wouldn't think it would.

I think the issue is that anger will only trigger on an individual match (as far as I can tell). So if the enemy gets a bunch of chains without crits, you take a lot of damage but don't trigger the passive.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's... odd. Hawkeye went from Env 10 to Env 3 after I reached the end of Savage Land.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I think the other problem is that when he gets boosted in these events his HP becomes too high for regular matches to trigger Anger. My Hulk has almost 10,000hp with the event buff and so it takes a single 500dmg hit to trigger Anger.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
So a 2-part newbie (long) question here.

I'm not at the stage yet where I'll commit any realy dollars to this game, so am stuck with recruit / heroic tokens for my covers. I think my luck has been average with these, but have had a couple of nice finds including a Dr. Doom and Rag cover for 2 3 star dudes. I also have a couple of level 10-20 or so 2 star dudes, but my main team is reall the 1 star Iron Man, Storm, Black Widow at about level ~25 as these are really the only covers I have in sufficient numbers to get my level cap up.

I'm also sitting on a stach of about 10k Iso8

First, should I just drop this Iso into my main team or hold onto it for when I have better heroes to level and...

Second, how do I go about actually getting sufficient numbers of covers of 2-3 star characters to actually get their level cap up?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm not at the stage yet where I'll commit any realy dollars to this game, so am stuck with recruit / heroic tokens for my covers. I think my luck has been average with these, but have had a couple of nice finds including a Dr. Doom and Rag cover for 2 3 star dudes. I also have a couple of level 10-20 or so 2 star dudes, but my main team is reall the 1 star Iron Man, Storm, Black Widow at about level ~25 as these are really the only covers I have in sufficient numbers to get my level cap up.

First, should I just drop this Iso into my main team or hold onto it for when I have better heroes to level and...

Second, how do I go about actually getting sufficient numbers of covers of 2-3 star characters to actually get their level cap up?

For the first question- spend it as needed. You will get bazillions of it.

Second question- time. You'll get them. I still encounter people using Modern Storm fairly regularly in Verses, and she's annoying as poo poo. Her loving Hailstone can bleed you to death if you're not careful.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I am not staying up 'til midnight and I really need SOMETHING other than Red for my Punisher, so I have used a shield. I feel unclean.

(Sitting at 817 and #10, not going to stay in top 15 but should remain in top 50 barring shenanigans.)

Man, the nerf Spider-Man is going to get is going to hurt severely. All Tied Up costing 2 APs is what makes 240/240/240s possible. At least Ares looks like he'll be fun with a few more covers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

That's... odd. Hawkeye went from Env 10 to Env 3 after I reached the end of Savage Land.

Every buffed guy stays Env 3 for me except Punisher (Env 4)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Shields aren't that bad now that they're being generous with the gold in challenges. I pushed up to about 970 before I started to get hit from all angles, shielded up for three hours, pushed again to 1200 and shielded up for another three hours. That's enough to put me in the top five and I should stay there unless the people below me make some crazy push in the final hour.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

PotatoManJack posted:

As to time, if you start grinding out a lot, you can get there quick, I'm around 40 days played and I have a poo poo ton of stuff. That said, I also had a poo poo ton of free time because I was only teaching classes 3 days a week, and after I graded final exams, I had nothing but down time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I kind of want to try out Ares, but I just got a random four star Wolverine cover. So I have... uh... a week? ish? to get 250 more HP for Ares.

EDIT
Dropped out of the top 50 on Savage Land in the last 30 seconds.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 13, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I spent the past hour going from 200 to 800 in the hulk event to lock a top 15. Now my Punisher is finished at 5/3/5. I think he may become a mainstay, especially if hulk and thor get hit. His red is already pretty amazing and if they nerf spiderman's blue, it's going to be the only way to have a shot at the level 240 teams in every event. Now to grind 8 million iSo to get him up from level 55 to 141

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

I spent the past hour going from 200 to 800 in the hulk event to lock a top 15. Now my Punisher is finished at 5/3/5. I think he may become a mainstay, especially if hulk and thor get hit. His red is already pretty amazing and if they nerf spiderman's blue, it's going to be the only way to have a shot at the level 240 teams in every event. Now to grind 8 million iSo to get him up from level 55 to 141

I hope they don't nerf Hulk, they just released him so I dumped a lot of iso in assuming he'd be safe for awhile :v:

While I was trying to secure my top 15 in the Hulk tourny I somehow dropped out of the top 400 in Savage Lands and got a Bagman instead of an Ares :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hulk seems balanced around the fact that he can murder your own team.

Nothing can stop the Hulk from killing everyone.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

rabidsquid posted:

I hope they don't nerf Hulk, they just released him so I dumped a lot of iso in assuming he'd be safe for awhile :v:

While I was trying to secure my top 15 in the Hulk tourny I somehow dropped out of the top 400 in Savage Lands and got a Bagman instead of an Ares :smith:

Ditto, my token was another BWO blue which I already had five of. I've been buffing whatever hero is in the double tournament. So I look Iron Man 40 from base to mid 50's. I think I've got Hulk into the 40's now. Probably hit 60's by the end. He's interesting, but he has the problem of being R/G on his abilities. They really need to make more Black and Purple abilities.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Karnegal posted:

I think Spiderman's blue would be pretty reasonable at 3 AP. I had it there for a while, and it was good, but nowhere near as crazy as it is at 2 AP. 9 AP for a teamwide stun from 1-3 turns isn't too bad, and while it does get really strong at 1-2 opponents, he has literally nothing that does damage, so your other two people have to pick up the slack. And he doesn't have nearly as much HP as Ragnarok did, so you can conceivably plow through him in a couple turns.

I'm still not sold on this shield thing, so I just entered the Hulk tourney an hour from the end. I had enough time to get to 400 points for the 50 HP, and I was at #15 at 1 minute to go, but after my last match I dropped to top 45. Still not bad, and I definitely would have gotten close to the top if I hadn't gotten dropped into a bracket that had already been going for a little bit. I'm +150 HP, a Punisher cover, and some ISO rewards, so I'm happy to see you don't really have to buy into the shielding meta if you don't want to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

Ditto, my token was another BWO blue which I already had five of. I've been buffing whatever hero is in the double tournament. So I look Iron Man 40 from base to mid 50's. I think I've got Hulk into the 40's now. Probably hit 60's by the end. He's interesting, but he has the problem of being R/G on his abilities. They really need to make more Black and Purple abilities.

Honestly I raised my Hulk to 79 out of sheer fatigue of using nothing but Ragnarok, Wolverine, and Thor for weeks on end. He's only 4/1/3 right now so I still need some covers but with a 4 in Green it's not the worst board churn and a 3 in Anger can put plenty of green on the board.

I'm actually sort of torn on my Hulk build because the fifth green just destroys two more tiles. I actually think I'll go 4/4/5 on him.

I really would like more black and purple abilities. The only black ability in the game that's any good is Dr. Doom's, isn't it? It does so much damage but it sucks if either side has any board churn ability, I hate smashing my damage tiles.

During the Hulk tournament I was messing around with an IM40/Hulk/Thor team, but I don't think it's going to work out all that well once they "balance" Thor and I have no idea who'd be good in that last slot. The team has no purple damage but can mess with the board enough that it doesn't matter. The problem with the IM40/Hulk combo is that Hulk doesn't really do much with the recharge gems. At the very least I imagine a 100 IM40 / 79 Hulk team is as much a pain in the rear end to fight as any team can be. I guess you could pop a Modern Hawkeye in there with them.

I've been enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm messing around with teams I wouldn't otherwise use.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah, a poo poo ton of blacks are passive, which makes them sort of non abilities. Doom is the only one that matters. Punisher has one that is actually good.

The following guys's are or their Black ability is bad: Yelena, venom, Loki, The Hood, and Bullseye.

Loki is only relevant in Lighting Rounds, and it's probably the Hood's Worst ability.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ The Hood's yellow is by far much worse than his black. Being able to shave turns off shield refunds, recharges, and Magneto countdowns is insanely good at 9 a pop compared to converting 15 yellow AP into a grab-bag of 18.

Molotov seems promising for a black ability - I've yet to see how it goes at high levels, but so far it's at least a decent team-damage for a pretty budget price. The attack tiles it makes so far are completely worthless without strikes up though.

For the Hulk tournament I put in Original Widow because I wanted a heal and to wean myself off Spider-Man - then I put Daken in, who managed to transform Hulk on Hulk matches into escalating slap fights. His strike tiles are too weak though so it wasn't as effective as I thought it might be, and despite being protected by having the lowest attack in every colour he would've been easy to focus when controlled by the AI. I have a huge problem finding people who actually complement Hulk.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 13, 2014

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I really would like more black and purple abilities. The only black ability in the game that's any good is Dr. Doom's, isn't it? It does so much damage but it sucks if either side has any board churn ability, I hate smashing my damage tiles.

Hood's black is useful but pricy if you're running IM40/hawkguy, and Moonstone's black is ok for PvE and is occasionally useful in pvp as a stun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I'm gonna have to groom a modern Hawkeye to replace every mandatory Hawkeye on missions, just so I can specifically deny him his stupid purple passive. I could get the second repeatable in Savage Land if Hulk or Cap could survive an extra few turns, but because loving Hawkeye insists someone else take all his damage I'm basically just running a two-man team that takes a few extra turns to realize it's died.