Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hornswoggle lives under there (if he's still a thing, it's been a while) so I assume there's a nice home theater set up, little kitchen area, etc.

That's better than WCW. All they had was a poopin' bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hornswoggle lives under there (if he's still a thing, it's been a while) so I assume there's a nice home theater set up, little kitchen area, etc.

Apparently a few times back when he hid under the ring, fans who sent in spoilers would spot WWE staffers and sometimes Lillian Garcia bringing out Gatorade and snacks to him because he'd have a fairly long wait.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The best Savage promo is the one he cuts on Crush after Savage had Yoko all but beat for the WWE title on RAW, only for Crush to cost Randy the match. Hot fire.

Yes, which is probably his most coherent too with none of the usual Macho Man catchphrases. My favorite of his as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f858fgw4au0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Watching Savage promos always makes me instinctively clench my core muscles for some reason.

He would've been a great Pilates instructor.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thinking about the John Cena vs Kevin Federline match made me wonder, what is the highest level an "outside celebrity" has gotten in the WWE? I know WCW had David Arquette win the World Championship, and TNA has done lots of copromotion with anyone who will listen, but it seems in WWE at least such attractions are relegated to the midcard usually. I suppose the two biggest/most important angles/matches involving a non-character were Lawrence Taylor main eventing WM11 and Money Mayweather being a huge featured act at WM24, going on after the WWE championship. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, though.

Also, would you say Arquette in WCW had the all-time universal biggest run for a non-wrestler? Kaufman in Memphis? Maybe something from Japan or Mexico?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

projecthalaxy posted:

Thinking about the John Cena vs Kevin Federline match made me wonder, what is the highest level an "outside celebrity" has gotten in the WWE? I know WCW had David Arquette win the World Championship, and TNA has done lots of copromotion with anyone who will listen, but it seems in WWE at least such attractions are relegated to the midcard usually. I suppose the two biggest/most important angles/matches involving a non-character were Lawrence Taylor main eventing WM11 and Money Mayweather being a huge featured act at WM24, going on after the WWE championship. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, though.

Also, would you say Arquette in WCW had the all-time universal biggest run for a non-wrestler? Kaufman in Memphis? Maybe something from Japan or Mexico?

Mike Tyson was part of the Stone Cold v HBK match at WM 14
Mr T is WM 1&2

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

bobkatt013 posted:

Mr T is WM 1&2

Mr. T is a really good answer, actually. I'd say he's maybe the biggest, or tied with Mayweather.

Tyson I thought of, and he certainly added buys, but he was an enforcer/referee. It was still Michaels and Austin having a match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

As far as money-making runs, the entire wrestling world collectively held its nose for the Arquette thing, which came near the end of WCW, at which point the shows IIRC were not doing well at all.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Maybe Leno/Rodman/Malone

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't know that Lawrence Taylor really counts as much as the others since football players doing wrestling is about as old as football. Tyson and Mayweather are both boxers so a shoot fighter doing a worked fight isn't all that unusual either, except the magnitude of their profile I guess.

It's probably Maria Menounos. Rodman and Malone is definitely the biggest business wise except Tyson, I'd guess? But he asked WWE.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The answer is obviously Seth Green.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kind of the reverse of what you're talking about, but Sgt. Slaughter was a major character and toy line for GI Joe. I don't think anyone else has quite reached that level of cross-promotion, where they've had their character integrated seamlessly into a major franchise unrelated to wrestling.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

As far as money-making runs, the entire wrestling world collectively held its nose for the Arquette thing, which came near the end of WCW, at which point the shows IIRC were not doing well at all.

I'm not kidding when I say I have never seen the IWC as angry as it was during the Arquette title win...holy poo poo, take every Cena title win and combine them together and you're still not close.

The only thing that came close was Katie Vick, even then people just refused to talk about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That Savage promo above makes me wonder if he ever had a match with Bret Hart. On paper it sounds like the kind of thing that would be neat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

That Savage promo above makes me wonder if he ever had a match with Bret Hart. On paper it sounds like the kind of thing that would be neat.

A quick Google says they did at least one, with some mid-match clip on wwe.com.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/randy-savage-vs-bret-hart-saturday-nights-main-event-november-28-1987-25057330

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

DeathChicken posted:

They had a SNME match in 1987 during a feud between Savage and Honky Tonk and the Hart Foundation (that feud is actually fairly famous for being the launch of the Megapowers angle), a PPV match in WCW, and worked a couple house show loops together.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 12, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

fatherdog posted:

Cena is actually really good at this, which is one of the reasons I really enjoyed him mid-carding it up with a bunch of tag matches the last few months.

I've had to change my standing on Cena over the last couple years. The guy is good. Really, really good. Unfortunately, we don't often get to see how good he is because of the absurd booking.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

jeffersonlives posted:

They had a SNME match in 1987 during a feud between Savage and Honky Tonk and the Hart Foundation (that feud is actually fairly famous for being the launch of the Megapowers angle), a PPV match in WCW, and worked a couple house show loops together.

In Bret's book he mentions accidentally injuring Savage, I think busting him open, but Randy was ok about it. I think it was in relation to the 87 match but I might be wrong.

Bag
Oct 17, 2004

I've recently started watching WWE again. The commentary is absolutely atrocious. Is there any way to watch WWE ppvs with the commentary muted but the rest of the audio kept intact?

I don't mind not watching the events live if it means not hearing 'VINTAGE!' repeated for every single spot, or the commentators hyping some other match instead of calling the action.

Also, are there any podcasts, etc, that offer an alternative commentary track?

Edit: for clarity, I do buy the ppvs. Ideally I'd like to mute the audio on the official stream and listen to a podcast with the original audio and a better team of commentators.

Bag fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 12, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bag posted:

I've recently started watching WWE again. The commentary is absolutely atrocious. Is there any way to watch WWE ppvs with the commentary muted but the rest of the audio kept intact?

Not that I know of, but you can take comfort in knowing you're one of us.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I miss Jesse Ventura. That one shot he did for Old School Raw a few years ago was so much better than the commentary now it's not funny. Probably because Vince seemed to want to kill him.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DeathChicken posted:

I miss Jesse Ventura. That one shot he did for Old School Raw a few years ago was so much better than the commentary now it's not funny. Probably because Vince seemed to want to kill him.

Why'd he ever stop doing commentary? Was it because of the movie career?

Bag
Oct 17, 2004

I realise that the blame is not entirely on the commentators. Undoubtedly there's a team of producers telling them to say what's trending at the very same time a graphic appears on the screen telling us the same thing. Although I'm a comparatively old fan, I know how to download an app, so I'm certain younger fans are equally capable.

When they are talking about wrestling rather than the WWE's social media supremacy, the current team of commentators seem more concerned about speculating on/recounting angles while there is actual wrestling taking place. To be fair, this is something that all commentators are guilty of. It's an unavoidable part of the job, and, if done well, is not at all jarring (and also brief). Monsoon, Ventura, and especially Heenan when he was part of Flair's entourage (Wrestlemania VIII after the gently caress finish, XXX has left the building), have done it.

The most annoying thing is hearing individuals that I have almost universally liked as performers (even Michael Cole has had his entertaining moments, and is a perfectly detestable heel when delivering a promo rather than commentary), yucking it up at their own cleverness at the expense of immersing the audience in a well worked match by calling the moves or, at the very least, telling us the story of the match.

But... this is veering into a rant rather than a follow up to my initial question, which isn't what the thread is for.

Bag
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Also where can I find this?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzRiauE2zQ

Vince and Jesse do commentary on a battle royale.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Amazing how much Vince's voice has aged, where Jesse sounds relatively the same.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

Amazing how much Vince's voice has aged, where Jesse sounds relatively the same.

It's not age, he's just not trying to do his awful, forced announcer voice.

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

oldpainless posted:

Aww, they replaced Obsession with No Chance.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Paulocaust posted:

It's not age, he's just not trying to do his awful, forced announcer voice.

Yeah, he sounds okay when he's not trying to put on whatever that voice is.

Oh man, hearing them on commentary again is great.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

bobkatt013 posted:

Tyson's gratuitous fast count at WM 14 is still one of the funniest ways to start your first World title reign.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has an immediate second cover attempt after a kickout EVER worked in a match? I see guys going for it all the time, but I've never once seen the kickout be the last-ditch effort of any wrestler. I'd love to see it sometime, it would be so unexpected. Almost like kicking out was a reflex or the last bit of energy he had left.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Bag posted:

When they are talking about wrestling rather than the WWE's social media supremacy, the current team of commentators seem more concerned about speculating on/recounting angles while there is actual wrestling taking place. To be fair, this is something that all commentators are guilty of. It's an unavoidable part of the job, and, if done well, is not at all jarring (and also brief). Monsoon, Ventura, and especially Heenan when he was part of Flair's entourage (Wrestlemania VIII after the gently caress finish, XXX has left the building), have done it.

I don't think much has changed, to be honest.

Back in the day, the commentators were still trying constantly to sell the brand. It's just that back then, selling the brand consisted of "Hey this dude is huge, look how exciting he is! Come and see him at a house show!" and/or "SEE YOU ON THUNDER!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Commentators today do spend time selling main events, but it has absolutely nothing on 90's WCW, wherein the commentators would not shut the gently caress up about the main event throughout the entire broadcast and every match.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm going to be honest: one of the best things about watching wrestling as long as I have is you learn to tune out the commentary so it's really just white noise while the match is going on. I know that doesn't answer anyone's questions, but until WWE Network allows you to mute commentary (fat chance with Vince loving Cole as much as he does) one just has to tough it out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It would be pretty lame if WWE Network doesn't give you a commentary free option given how many audio options you get with UFC.tv and MLB.tv.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder who the next major addition to the commentary team is going to be. Lawler can't do it forever, and JBL only came back because of Lawler's heart attack. Cole will unfortunately be the anchor until he retires, probably. Josh Mathews is okay but I doubt they'll ever bump him up to the big time. Miz has his Main Event spot but same deal as Josh. NXT seems to be priming A-Ry, Tensai, Regal, Renee, and Byron but I wonder if they'll ever make it to the A-Show.

I just hope when CM Punk retires he continues to have an onscreen role. Either on commentary, or... wait for it... GM Punk. :sparkles:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would rather deal with another Miz world title run than Miz as a Raw announcer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CM Punk was pretty good during that brief stint where he was commentating.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Has an immediate second cover attempt after a kickout EVER worked in a match? I see guys going for it all the time, but I've never once seen the kickout be the last-ditch effort of any wrestler. I'd love to see it sometime, it would be so unexpected. Almost like kicking out was a reflex or the last bit of energy he had left.

Yes, though youtube is failing me in finding it. Justin Hawk Bradshaw was pinned by Freddie Joe Floyd on either the second or third consecutive attempt, I forget which. Should be mid-96 sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cole has got to be well within the running for longest-serving play-by-play guy in WWE history, which is incredible considering how awful he is.