Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
Found a larger photo on another forum:

Notice the Z06 emblem behidn the shifter? Now notice the 246R patter on the shifter it's self?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lord Lilf posted:

Found a larger photo on another forum:

Notice the Z06 emblem behidn the shifter? Now notice the 246R patter on the shifter it's self?

There's also some people pointing out that the photo is heavily shopped and little more than a render. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That is really strange, GM is loving with us.

[edit] Maybe they shopped the interior and used an auto column by accident? Or on purpose, just to gently caress with everyone :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 12, 2014

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Throatwarbler posted:

There's also some people pointing out that the photo is heavily shopped and little more than a render. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

I'm inclined to agree but I can't help but shake the feeling that GM knew this poo poo was going to leak and is pulling a fast one is saving some kind other kind of suprise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm surprised they haven't pulled their fingers out and built a dual-clutch transmission, which would answer pretty much everyone's requirements outside of a traditional manual in one package.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

I'm surprised they haven't pulled their fingers out and built a dual-clutch transmission, which would answer pretty much everyone's requirements outside of a traditional manual in one package.

Except for durability, smoothness, and not costing a whole lot of money.

Automatic Corvette owners are usually the boulevard cruiser market who don't care about lap times so why make things more expensive for them, especially since they'll probably just complain about the roughness compared to a conventional auto anyway.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One would hope that the Z06 owners would tolerate a little jerkiness about town for all the performance advantages, but one might be underestimating the folly of the Corvette owner base.

I once saw C6 Z06 parked on the street in Ann Arbor and thought, "Nice race car, poseur. Bet it rides really nice on the way to Espresso Royale." Then I walked past and saw the roll cage and fire extinguisher. Prejudice is an ugly thing.

Comedy option for the new Z06: CVT with gear ratio setpoints, which you can select via stick or paddle!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Except for durability, smoothness, and not costing a whole lot of money.

What? DCTs are perfectly reliable and completely smooth. Try driving a modern one. I often can't even feel mine change gears around town.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

SRT just unveiled a new color, option package, and wing for the Viper.

That spoiler looks like it could belong to a future ACR, and they basically previewed the TA the same way with the yellow Mopar car a year back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

What? DCTs are perfectly reliable and completely smooth. Try driving a modern one. I often can't even feel mine change gears around town.

Possibly because it isn't attached to a huge V8/10/12 with 500+ horsepower. Admittedly I don't have any experience with them, but they seem to be panned by critics for things like parking and town use when fitted to assorted supercars.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tekne posted:

SRT just unveiled a new color, option package, and wing for the Viper.

That spoiler looks like it could belong to a future ACR, and they basically previewed the TA the same way with the yellow Mopar car a year back.

I don't care what they're calling it, this is TVR Green right here.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Linedance posted:

Possibly because it isn't attached to a huge V8/10/12 with 500+ horsepower. Admittedly I don't have any experience with them, but they seem to be panned by critics for things like parking and town use when fitted to assorted supercars.

Mine is attached to 600+ horsepower, although in a V6.

The only weirdness is very very slow speeds like parking lots it gets a tiny bit jerky. Other than that it's smooth as butter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Mine is attached to 600+ horsepower, although in a V6.

The only weirdness is very very slow speeds like parking lots it gets a tiny bit jerky. Other than that it's smooth as butter.

well that's me told. And puzzled. What's got a DCT and that much power coming from a V6? Porsches are flat 6, big Germans are generally 8s, Ford Falcon and M3 had an i6... TVR? But they don't have DCT transmissions. :iiam:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Linedance posted:

well that's me told. And puzzled. What's got a DCT and that much power coming from a V6? Porsches are flat 6, big Germans are generally 8s, Ford Falcon and M3 had an i6... TVR? But they don't have DCT transmissions.

A GTR

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GT-:argh:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Linedance posted:

well that's me told. And puzzled. What's got a DCT and that much power coming from a V6? Porsches are flat 6, big Germans are generally 8s, Ford Falcon and M3 had an i6... TVR? But they don't have DCT transmissions. :iiam:

The earlier GTRs were jerky but they've really refined it. The only way I can tell it's changed gears is a very slight clanking sound of it engaging the next gear.

It also chatters like crazy in reverse.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Comrade Flynn posted:

The earlier GTRs were jerky but they've really refined it. The only way I can tell it's changed gears is a very slight clanking sound of it engaging the next gear.

It also chatters like crazy in reverse.

Slightly off topic but are all of the changes to the GT-R's gearbox software related or were there legitimate mechanical changes throughout the years? What year is yours?

I saw Cobb offers certain versions of the DCT software, can you get the 2012 launch control in the 2009 gearbox via software updates?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Slightly off topic but are all of the changes to the GT-R's gearbox software related or were there legitimate mechanical changes throughout the years? What year is yours?

I saw Cobb offers certain versions of the DCT software, can you get the 2012 launch control in the 2009 gearbox via software updates?

I'm pretty sure it's all software. I have a 2012, but a buddy with an 09 got the Cobb DCT upgrade and said it shifts just like a brand new GTR now with the launch control.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My GF works in architecture and deals with rendering, it is expensive and time consuming. Also,her company at least, outsources a lot of work to east asian firms and the results are often really bad due to language barrier or just flat out poo poo work.

It is very possible that Z06 weirdness is just a rendering gently caress-up by a non-car person and or confused vendor that was either not caught by GM or caught but would cost too much to be worth redoing. I wouldn't lose your mind just yet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2015 GMC Canyon.

Differences between it and the Sierra are available 2 speed TC and "All Terrain" trim with uprated suspension and mud tires.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What is 2 speed TC?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ziploc posted:

What is 2 speed TC?

2 speed transfer case, you know, 4 LO, that sort of thing.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So Autoblog and a few other places are reporting about Mazda starting to build cars in Mexico in a couple months.

People's reactions are ridiculous. Everyone is acting like the cars are going to fall apart. Is there some basis for this or are people just being racist dickholes?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So Autoblog and a few other places are reporting about Mazda starting to build cars in Mexico in a couple months.

People's reactions are ridiculous. Everyone is acting like the cars are going to fall apart. Is there some basis for this or are people just being racist dickholes?

Mexican built VWs have been known for quality problems.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Autoblog's comment sections rank somewhere in the neighborhood of youtube, which is to say that they're terrible and utterly not worth reading.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Cream_Filling posted:

Autoblog's comment sections rank somewhere in the neighborhood of youtube, which is to say that they're terrible and utterly not worth reading.

This is also true.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hog Obituary posted:

Mexican built VWs have been known for quality problems.

I think it has everything to do with where the parts that are used to build the cars come from, rather than where the cheap labor that builds the cars comes from.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh god. I read that as traction control. OOPSIE.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's mostly just that VW buyers are racist dickholes. Mexican built VWs are garbage, just like German built ones, and yet other car companies building cars in Mexico seem to have no issues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ah, good stuff. Very objective. :rolleye:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm a dickhole, and I don't own any VWs. I might not be racist though, that might be my problem.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

...So there's a 4x4 half-ton pickup that doesn't have a low gear? :psyduck: I thought that was a given.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 13, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

KakerMix posted:

I think it has everything to do with where the parts that are used to build the cars come from, rather than where the cheap labor that builds the cars comes from.

Nowadays the 'cheap labor' is overwhelmingly robotic anyway; there is a human element in quality control but it's increasingly above the unskilled labor line. The Volkswagen QA legend comes from production decades? ago when that wasn't true. Manufacturing locations tend to be more determined by trade treaties and other policy issues as anything else these days.

It's been said here repeatedly but Mazda's been behind the curve moving production out of expensive Japan, and pretty much every major carmaker (including all the 'domestics') builds cars in Mexico already.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Friar Zucchini posted:

...So there's a 4x4 half-ton pickup that doesn't have a low gear? :psyduck: I thought that was a given.

The Colorado isn't a half-ton?

EDIT: The source I read it from was wrong. The Colorado does have low gear, but it's a manual locker while the Canyon has "Autotrac" added on as well. Here's have a family photo.

The littlest GMC. :3:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 13, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a German VW that isn't a piece of poo poo and that I'm happy with. What does this make me? :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A Nazi?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RE: DCT stuff, I think the big complaint from reviewers (I think Clarkson specifically mentioned this) was the slightly longer time it takes to change into reverse and back, for parking or 3-point turns or whatever. Seems extremely nitpicky to me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That 7 speed VW uses in its less powerful models seems pretty bad to me - it isn't particularly smooth and can never quite decide on what gear it should be in (I'm guessing that latter is some type of 'optimization' for the fuel economy tests).

Also the 7 speed does have a pretty poor reliability rep so far (at least in my part if the world)

The 6 speed from the GTI and bigger diesels does seem much better though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

dissss posted:

That 7 speed VW uses in its less powerful models seems pretty bad to me - it isn't particularly smooth and can never quite decide on what gear it should be in (I'm guessing that latter is some type of 'optimization' for the fuel economy tests).

Also the 7 speed does have a pretty poor reliability rep so far (at least in my part if the world)

I think it's an issue of, with a dinky 1.6 or smaller there's only so much you can do to make it smooth at low RPM without a torque converter or the kind of extra rev + heavy clutch slip + granny gear only a manual will do. That seems to be the case with all the small NA engine + DCT combos, with Ford usually being described as the worst. They do get good MPGs, though. Mate a DSG to a 2.0t and it's another story; mine has some weirdness when going from a stop facing uphill and that's about it, and that's a small and manageable thing once you learn to expect it.

I have a hunch the complaints with supercars come from Ferrari and their race-derived boxes, which I doubt have seen tremendous development time making them kittens at city speeds, nor is that anything their customers will admit wanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

dissss posted:

Isn't the 6 speed a wet clutch and the 7 speed dry? I thought that was what made a huge difference between them.