Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's the median income of someone living in C'town or Halifax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
It really depends how you measure it, but:

More here: CANSIM 111-0009

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know how bulls argue that Vancouver is "world class" in order to justify the market?

Turns out Seattle has that problem too.

http://seattlebubble.com/blog/2014/01/09/seattle-still-world-class-city/

quote:

Back in the days when the housing bubble was inflating at full speed, a frequent argument trotted out by home salesmen lamely attempting to justify the ridiculously high home prices in the Seattle area was that Seattle is a “world class city,” and as such, it is reasonable to expect home prices here to be high.

edit: jesus, 39k?? Wtf is low income in the east?

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
That's a more complicated question. Low income isn`t precisely defined, so here is the income distribution for the two cities:

While the median income is broadly similar, Halifax has more people at the lower end of the income distribution, and Calgary has more people with high incomes. The distributions diverge around the 80k-90k mark.

Note: Use caution when interpreting the chart, especially at the higher income ranges.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So $55k median household income for Halifax then? I'm seeing an average home price of $260k. Does anyone have a number for median home price? That ratio is honestly not as terrible as I assumed it would be.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So $55k median household income for Halifax then? I'm seeing an average home price of $260k. Does anyone have a number for median home price? That ratio is honestly not as terrible as I assumed it would be.

No, according to Statscan, it was 79k median household income in 2011. that chart's individual incomes, which looks like it's about 40k a year or so. That's not exactly an economic hotshot.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 11, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cultural Imperial posted:

You know how bulls argue that Vancouver is "world class" in order to justify the market?

edit: jesus, 39k?? Wtf is low income in the east?

Haha I just made a few basic calculations and it turns out despite living in Eastern Europe our family income is higher than that. Two decades ago we were a shithole with literally nothing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Bleu posted:

No, according to Statscan, it was 79k median household income in 2011. that chart's individual incomes, which looks like it's about 40k a year or so. That's not exactly an economic hotshot.

That looks like median family income. That level of income would suggest a Price/Income ratio of 3.7, which isn't great but isn't awful either. Vancouver's ratio was 10,.6 in 2011.

edit: For context, a ratio of 3.0 or under is considered affordable, 3.1-4.0 is Moderately Unaffordable, 4.1-5.0 is Seriously Unaffordable, 5.1 and over is Severely Unaffordable. Of Canada's 6 housing markets of 1million people or more, 3 fall in the Severely Unaffordable category.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 11, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Say what you will about Seattle, but it's an economic powerhouse. I'm sure it's expensive relative to mean/median American prices, but the survey of prices I've seen have never seemed out of line for a city with Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, Costco, etc and associated 'ecosystems' in the surrounding area. There are a ton of people in the Puget Sound area who are extraordinarily well paid.

This is in direct contrast to Vancouver of course, which has virtually no corporate headquarters / business of any real significance. And is eye-wateringly more expensive, especially in the SFH segment.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Yeah, Seattle and Vancouver aren't comparable in terms of bubbles. Salaries are way higher, industry is booming and they have a steady influx of external talent, cost of housing (especially buying) is lower, cost of living is lower, no state income tax, and the Seattle housing market already deflated much more during 2007-2009 than Vancouver.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mik posted:

they have a Price/GDP analysis which doesn't look too out of line
GDP per capita vs local home prices or home prices period is pretty unusual AFAIK. Its supposed to be local wages vs local home prices not GDP which will include your top few percent earners that will gently caress with the stats and is a national measurement.

Anyways as near as I can tell home prices have been going up most everywhere at ridiculous rates far exceeding the rate of inflation which is a sure sign of a bubble or boom.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

blah_blah posted:

Yeah, Seattle and Vancouver aren't comparable in terms of bubbles. Salaries are way higher, industry is booming and they have a steady influx of external talent, cost of housing (especially buying) is lower, cost of living is lower, no state income tax, and the Seattle housing market already deflated much more during 2007-2009 than Vancouver.

So true on all points. I sold one of my condos in Vancouver, and bought over an acre of land and a nice house on Seattle's east side.

There's no comparison on land, cost of living, or better salaries.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lexicon posted:

Say what you will about Seattle, but it's an economic powerhouse. There are a ton of people in the Puget Sound area who are extraordinarily well paid.
Sure doesn't seem like it. Those are 2007 numbers mind you so the situation is probably worse now.

Remember, even the nice areas can bubble and burst. I saw mansions in the most posh of areas while I lived in CA gain and then lose millions of dollars in value over a span of several years.

blah_blah posted:

and the Seattle housing market already deflated much more during 2007-2009 than Vancouver.
But Seattle went up 13% in 2013 while income barely went up .5% in that year and job creation still appear to be stagnant. If you go out to 3 years than income is actually down a little over 4% for the area. No sensible reason to be experiencing a boom in a economic environment like that.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 12, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm going to be moving to Seattle next month. I'm appalled at how high rents are and I'm actually considering buying a place.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'm going to be moving to Seattle next month. I'm appalled at how high rents are and I'm actually considering buying a place.

It's almost as if rent prices derive from monthly cash flows in the local area!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

It's almost as if rent prices derive from monthly cash flows in the local area!

:monocle:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I have a pretty good theory that the toronto housing bubble is funded entirely by drug money laundering. I also have no proof but history will be the judge. When your mayor is involved in crack trafficking its a pretty good bet the reach of trafficking syndicates has reached its peak.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

I have a pretty good theory that the toronto housing bubble is funded entirely by drug money laundering. I also have no proof but history will be the judge. When your mayor is involved in crack trafficking its a pretty good bet the reach of trafficking syndicates has reached its peak.
The condo boom is fueled by speculators using condo starts as a way to make large gains on minimal investments over short periods of time with no subsequent liability after a year.

It should be regulated but the developers have the local government by the balls and the federal government relies on the housing boom to keep poo poo from getting retarded before 2015.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

Well, if Montreal is any indication, the developer mafia in Toronto is just better at hiding their tracks.

And you're not so far off: the One Bloor project was initially led by a Kazakh company, backed by a shady and possibly criminal bank - by Kazakh standards.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This is a good thread to follow on evaluating the purchase of a condo in Surrey:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209104

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is a good thread to follow on evaluating the purchase of a condo in Surrey:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209104

canada bubble .txt

quote:

Just signed for the units yesterday, but think I am not getting a good deal out of it just want some thoughts. Not an experienced buyer, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

At least it has a happy ending.

quote:

A big thank you to everyone for your help.

I ran away.

I went the REIT/Stock way. After looking at the number crunching you guys did, it all makes sense now

Although, wouldn't REITs stand to lose a ton of money if/when the bubble bursts? At least she's diversified, though, and not tied down to one single property.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

At least it has a happy ending.

Although, wouldn't REITs stand to lose a ton of money if/when the bubble bursts? At least she's diversified, though, and not tied down to one single property.

Yes things like a REIT/ETF can tank just as bad if Canada gets into a US style real estate bubble meltdown.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Anyway, I've been mulling something else over to bring up with this thread. Does anyone feel like prognosticating on the Oakridge Mall development plans?

They look pretty nice to me -- basically another Metrotown, but done according to much more modern design principles (most notably multi-mode accessible rather than car-centric). There are plans for promenades, sidewalk cafes, a massive rooftop park, and tons of residential.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/visualizing-the-oakridge-proposal.pdf
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/10/oakridge-mall-redevelopment-renders-and-details/

Of course, there's a campaign against the proposal, calling itself "NOakridge", which despite having a huge banner hung on the side of the existing mall has only garnered 47 likes on its Facebook page. It also seems like pretty blatant astroturf by the opposition party in the Vancouver mayoral elections, which is pretty dumb given that this initiative was started while they were actually in power.

Anyway, the only concern I have is if the housing bubble bursts midway through construction, and everything is left half-built. On the other hand, given that it's being financed by a $150 billion public pension plan from Quebec, maybe it's pretty secure?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

etalian posted:

Yes things like a REIT/ETF can tank just as bad if Canada gets into a US style real estate bubble meltdown.

At least the REIT will be more liquid and you'll be less leveraged.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

blah_blah posted:

At least the REIT will be more liquid and you'll be less leveraged.

Also: REIT holdings are not all that correlated with residential real estate. Malls, office towers, etc.

Obviously a large macroeconomic overlap though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It always seems so weird to me to build huge skyscrapers next to single family houses. Wouldn't it be way cheaper to just upgrade all the single family homes to 4-6 story dense wood frame? The cost per square foot goes up so quick once you get into concrete, let alone skyscrapers.

I think a lot could be done for affordability if vast swaths of single family areas were up-zoned to allow apartments and row-houses, along with upgraded transit in the area. You really don't need insanely expensive to build skyscrapers for density.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It always seems so weird to me to build huge skyscrapers next to single family houses. Wouldn't it be way cheaper to just upgrade all the single family homes to 4-6 story dense wood frame? The cost per square foot goes up so quick once you get into concrete, let alone skyscrapers.

I think a lot could be done for affordability if vast swaths of single family areas were up-zoned to allow apartments and row-houses, along with upgraded transit in the area. You really don't need insanely expensive to build skyscrapers for density.

It would indeed be pretty weird in that neighborhood, Oakridge mall is already the tallest thing in a 20+ block radius and plopping down towers that are like 8x the height would look pretty strange.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Baronjutter posted:

This has long been a problem with Vancouver city planners- they just don't give a poo poo, because nobody making 5 storey mixed-use buildings is raining cash on mayoral candidates. See: Broadway/Commercial redevelopment clusterfuck.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Franks Happy Place posted:

This has long been a problem with Vancouver city planners- they just don't give a poo poo, because nobody making 5 storey mixed-use buildings is raining cash on mayoral candidates. See: Broadway/Commercial redevelopment clusterfuck.

Could you expand on what the Broadway/Commercial redevelopment clusterfuck is? Is it those new condos being built the block or two down from the station?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

swagger like us posted:

Could you expand on what the Broadway/Commercial redevelopment clusterfuck is? Is it those new condos being built the block or two down from the station?

Phone posting so I can't dig up all the relevant links, but here's the basic gist.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

They've rezoned all the lots immediately on the major road grid for up to 6 story development, so this has in fact happened. You can even see it in the picture I linked -- they foresee 4-6 story mixed use buildings all the way along Cambie and 41st. Obviously not all of this will happen all at once (in part because they first have to buy people out of their houses), but several are already going up.

So, given what I've said above, I'm not sure why you would say something like this. While I haven't taken the time to disentangle that web of developer contributions in the last Vancouver municipal election, I would be really surprised if developers of 5-story mixed use weren't represented, given how much 5-story mixed use is going up.

Phone posting so I can't dig up all the relevant links, but here's the basic gist.

I'm confused as to what the clusterfuck was? The city proposed a big tower in one round of the consultation. The community opposed it strongly. It got removed from the plan. That ... sounds like the consultation process is working?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Also: REIT holdings are not all that correlated with residential real estate. Malls, office towers, etc.

Obviously a large macroeconomic overlap though.

They tanked in a big fashion during the US recession:

They are more liquid and also diverse compared for example to a home construction company but still follow the higher level macro trends when
the economy goes off the bridge.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you ever lived in a wooden building? With crazy loving neighbours?

gently caress

that

poo poo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The entire potemkin village is filled with this poo poo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

I'm confused as to what the clusterfuck was? The city proposed a big tower in one round of the consultation. The community opposed it strongly. It got removed from the plan. That ... sounds like the consultation process is working?

The city had all kinds of consultations with locals who showed them they definitely preferred (or were willing to accept) a big increase in density, but along the lines of 5-10 storey mixed use buildings all along Commercial/Main. The city planners listened, nodded their heads, said "We'll be right back with the final proposal!", and came back with a 37-storey megatower. If you somehow missed that critical part of the article, 37 storeys is, uuh, kind of big and would be just a little out of character for Commercial Drive. At any rate, the key part here is that nobody in the general public was ever shown plans for a tower, a tower was never brought up in consultations, and a tower is a terrible stupid loving idea that is so clearly the result of the development industry buying Vancouver city council that I don't even know what to say.

For the record, the same poo poo happened/is happening in North Vancouver along Marine Drive, where locals were ambushed with a massive tower that doesn't fit the neighborhood and isn't remotely necessary from a densification standpoint.

Edit: I can't say how I heard it, sadly, but I was told adding the tower(s) to the Grandview plan was a political decision made by a political appointee who shall remain nameless, but is answerable to Vision and not a normal municipal employee.

While I haven't taken the time to disentangle that web of developer contributions in the last Vancouver municipal election, I would be really surprised if developers of 5-story mixed use weren't represented, given how much 5-story mixed use is going up.

The big developers are so connected to Vision that they didn't simply attend the big Vision fundraising dinner two months ago, they got to have a private, developer-only pre-soiree cocktail reception with Robertson and the other bigshots.

Franks Happy Place fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 13, 2014

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

They tanked in a big fashion during the US recession:

They are more liquid and also diverse compared for example to a home construction company but still follow the higher level macro trends when
the economy goes off the bridge.

I suspect that that dip the in REITs more closely maps to tradeable equities during that time frame instead of house prices. REITs will suffer if the economy runs aground, but I'm not sure that commercial real estate has been as bubbly as residential.

Unless of course, you manage to find the REIT that has invested in single family home properties to rent over the last 6-7 years.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ My feeling also. There's also the whole phenomenon of "correlations go to one in a crisis".

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

ocrumsprug posted:

I suspect that that dip the in REITs more closely maps to tradeable equities during that time frame instead of house prices. REITs will suffer if the economy runs aground, but I'm not sure that commercial real estate has been as bubbly as residential.

Unless of course, you manage to find the REIT that has invested in single family home properties to rent over the last 6-7 years.

Many REITs were also based on holding mortgage notes, so the market price of those immediately dropped like a stone to reflect the value of the underlying securities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The city had all kinds of consultations with locals who showed them they definitely preferred (or were willing to accept) a big increase in density, but along the lines of 5-10 storey mixed use buildings all along Commercial/Main. The city planners listened, nodded their heads, said "We'll be right back with the final proposal!", and came back with a 37-storey megatower. If you somehow missed that critical part of the article, 37 storeys is, uuh, kind of big and would be just a little out of character for Commercial Drive. At any rate, the key part here is that nobody in the general public was ever shown plans for a tower, a tower was never brought up in consultations, and a tower is a terrible stupid loving idea that is so clearly the result of the development industry buying Vancouver city council that I don't even know what to say.

For the record, the same poo poo happened/is happening in North Vancouver along Marine Drive, where locals were ambushed with a massive tower that doesn't fit the neighborhood and isn't remotely necessary from a densification standpoint.

I personally disagree on towers and density. Density in general is good essential for long-term sustainability, and mixed-use towers, in combination with lower buildings, is a good way to achieve that. Unfortunately there are very few neighbourhoods in Vancouver where this would be "in the character of the neighbourhood", but in part that's because Vancouver is designed around people driving pretty much everywhere. I honestly think the idea of mini town centres, built along good mixed-use lines, with transit, walking and cycling links, is a good one.

Hell, in the planning document I found, they were talking about a whole city block of 27-36 story towers, with other blocks in the 22 story range, and a staggering out through a whole splay of heights down to 4-6 story. All in all it could allow a hell of a lot of people to live, work and shop within 10 minutes walk of a Skytrain stop, which is a good thing. I really don't personally get the opposition to towers, especially from otherwise progressive and environmentally-minded people.

That all said, I don't dispute this:

Edit: I can't say how I heard it, sadly, but I was told adding the tower(s) to the Grandview plan was a political decision made by a political appointee who shall remain nameless, but is answerable to Vision and not a normal municipal employee.

The big developers are so connected to Vision that they didn't simply attend the big Vision fundraising dinner two months ago, they got to have a private, developer-only pre-soiree cocktail reception with Robertson and the other bigshots.

and it kinda concerns me. However, I feel like Vision and the non-partisan City staff are doing a pretty good job of tempering the influence of developers, especially through the consultation process. Sure, a tower appeared in the plan that was really unpopular with the residents. But there were multiple iterations of the plan, and additional consultations after the iteration with the tower in. Hell, City Council even went so far as to extend the entire planning process by 12 months, so they will end up with a nearly two year long planning process, which feels maybe a little long (if anything, that's the clusterfuck). Anyway, as I said above, I kinda agree with towers going up, but I respect that residents in Grandview may not, and I feel like their views have been respected by City Council.