Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
I know this is the Skyrim mod thread but I'm trying to put together a list of mods to use for Oblivion since I have the itch to play it again and only ever played it on consoles. Any essential recommendations from you guys or a link to a place where everything has been put together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Axeface posted:

E: I'm also having a run at SkyUI, and now having difficulties with that as well. Apparently my SKSE scripts are missing. Yipe. SKSE is actually showing up in my list of installed stuff with MO, though, checked off in the left tab and everything. Does this mean anything to anybody?

SkyUI will complain it can't find SKSE during installation if you are using Mod Organizer, but this can be ignored. See if it works when you run the game (by running SKSE as an executable through MO).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

DJ Ramshackle posted:

I know this is the Skyrim mod thread but I'm trying to put together a list of mods to use for Oblivion since I have the itch to play it again and only ever played it on consoles. Any essential recommendations from you guys or a link to a place where everything has been put together?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3310676

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle

Ah thank you! I tried looking but failed to find this. Ignore me now!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Some dude on the STEP forums made a MCM menu for Sounds of Skyrim.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1iGXC7Flfo3cEozQmxMbm1QSkk/edit?usp=sharing

If you only use one or two of the SOS modules, open it SoSConfigMenu.esp in TES5Edit and remove the quest for whichever SOS ESP files you don't have, and remove the Master records for the two SOS ESP files you don't have.

Sounds of Skyrim has that annoying loving menu on start up, and if you're like me and play a bunch of new characters all the time, it gets annoying.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I just got a new computer and I'm having trouble downloading mods from the Nexus with the Mod Organizer. Before I was able to click on the Download (NMM) and it would download with no problems. Now it doesn't do anything when I click on that link. This happens in both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I just got a new computer and I'm having trouble downloading mods from the Nexus with the Mod Organizer. Before I was able to click on the Download (NMM) and it would download with no problems. Now it doesn't do anything when I click on that link. This happens in both Chrome and Internet Explorer.

I had this issue, and either restarting it, or making sure to open webpages from the globe icon in MO fixed it; more likely the latter.

My issue now is no matter what I download through it, MO says it doesn't have the right plugin to install the mod, I have no idea what's up with that.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
I'm terrible at this, but I think I'm learning. I've got BOSS and Wrye Bash both installed in MO. This has its own problems: Namely, I don't know what the gently caress to do with Bash, and now I've got an error alert in MO telling me that there are "files in your overwrite mod", which I don't even know what that means. Anybody else seen this?

Devlan Mud posted:

My issue now is no matter what I download through it, MO says it doesn't have the right plugin to install the mod, I have no idea what's up with that.

Yeah, I'm getting this as well. Everything gives me an error message with either "encoding method unsupported" or "none of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive", which is driving me mildly bananas. Anybody know a cause/fix for these?

Gorgar posted:

SkyUI will complain it can't find SKSE during installation if you are using Mod Organizer, but this can be ignored. See if it works when you run the game (by running SKSE as an executable through MO).

SKSE shows up when I check it with console in-game, yeah. So it's just alright, then? The version column next to SkyUI in my mods tab is still showing a "poo poo's hosed" symbol, but I've got it checked off there and in archives just fine.

To end this post on another question, does Falskaar really gently caress lots of poo poo up? The guy's description page says it should be cool, but...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I had the "none of the avaible insteller" problem recently. I think what I did wrong was downloaded files before I had updated MO to it's latest version because files downloaded after that installed fine. Keep in mind I'm downloading through the NMM download link. Also make sure youve actually activated skyrim start window once and started the game once because not doing that does stuff to MO too.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Devlan Mud posted:

I had this issue, and either restarting it, or making sure to open webpages from the globe icon in MO fixed it; more likely the latter.

I'm now having the same issue as well. Some mods will install without any issues but most give me the installer plugin error.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Axeface posted:

I've got an error alert in MO telling me that there are "files in your overwrite mod", which I don't even know what that means.
MO telling you that there are files in the overwrite folder, means that there are files in MO's overwrite folder. This folder is located under <MO instal path>\ModOrganizer\overwrite\. MO will dump any new files that are created through MO into that folder. So for example if you run TES5Edit through MO and make a merged patch, you'll find the plugin TES5Edit created in that overwrite folder.
It's generally a good idea - especially if you use more then one profile in MO - to move the files from the overwrite folder to their own place in MO mods directory.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Minor update: I'm able to work around the "installer plugin" error by just downloading stuff manually and then installing from archive (the little button at the very upper left of the MO window), so I dunno if I'm loving poo poo up, but I'm getting to at least click stuff in the tab window.

E:

Raygereio posted:

MO telling you that there are files in the overwrite folder, means that there are files in MO's overwrite folder. This folder is located under <MO instal path>\ModOrganizer\overwrite\. MO will dump any new files that are created through MO into that folder. So for example if you run TES5Edit through MO and make a merged patch, you'll find the plugin TES5Edit created in that overwrite folder.
It's generally a good idea - especially if you use more then one profile in MO - to move the files from the overwrite folder to their own place in MO mods directory.

Cool, thank you. I'm guessing the existence of this thing can be tied back to me loving with Wrye Bash like an idiot, in that case. Would I just drag the file in the Overwrite window and drop it on another mod, or by itself or something?

Axeface fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2014

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

Axeface posted:

Minor update: I'm able to work around the "installer plugin" error by just downloading stuff manually and then installing from archive (the little button at the very upper left of the MO window), so I dunno if I'm loving poo poo up, but I'm getting to at least click stuff in the tab window.

Cool, thank you. I'm guessing the existence of this thing can be tied back to me loving with Wrye Bash like an idiot, in that case. Would I just drag the file in the Overwrite window and drop it on another mod, or by itself or something?

This is what I did as well. I only get plug-in errors when downloading through MO itself.

And I think you can do it this way, but you'd be better off doing it manually in the MO mods folder.

I decided to start a new character with Live Another Life, and it dropped me in a necromancers hut with a few low level spells, and a bunch of high level enemies right outside that I can't do a drat thing about. Is it possible to force it to start me at level 10 maybe? Or with a spell that does more than summon a wolf? Or maybe even a weapon that does more than make light?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know why NMM appears to be failing to install some mods, stating 'encoding method unsupported'? It says it fails, the downloaded file is waiting to be installed again, but the mod is in the activation list, so I wonder if it's only half-working.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The encoding method issue has been happening to me sporadically over the past couple weeks. My speculation is that Nexus itself is messing something up. I tried opening them manually, and they're messed up as well. This may only affect RAR files, and not 7z files, though I haven't tested thoroughly.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
This is a general notice for anyone who is using Mod Organizer.

:siren: IF YOUR VERSION NUMBER DOES NOT BEGIN WITH 1.0, YOU ARE USING A VERY OLD VERSION WITH A LOT OF BUGS THAT HAVE SINCE BEEN FIXED :siren:

I know at least person in the last couple of pages is on some subset of 0.11, which is at least a year old and certainly still has the bug with SPERG and the uncapper INI.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the latest, I manually downloaded and imported the mods and didn't have any issues

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
MO is telling me I should put unofficial patch for heartfire infront of unofficial skyrim patch :psyduck:. Should I listen to it or is it being dumb?

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

MO is telling me I should put unofficial patch for heartfire infront of unofficial skyrim patch :psyduck:. Should I listen to it or is it being dumb?

MO doesn't do any sorting of its own. You need to run BOSS as an executable within MO and that will sort your mods out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Baron posted:

MO doesn't do any sorting of its own. You need to run BOSS as an executable within MO and that will sort your mods out.

MO is giving me a warning that if I don't change the order that BOSS gave me it might cause some bugs.

Edit: Heres what its saying exactly:

MO posted:

The conflict resolution order for some mods with scripts differs from the corresponding esp. This can lead to subtle, hard to locate bugs. You should re-order the affected mods. The following changes should fix the issue:
Move Unofficial Skyrim Patch before Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Move Unofficial Dawnguard Patch before Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Move Civil War Overhaul after When Vampires Attack
Move Alternate Start - Live Another Life after Civil War Overhaul

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

MO is giving me a warning that if I don't change the order that BOSS gave me it might cause some bugs.

Huh well the warnings are correct. It should go:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawngaurd
Unofficial Dawngaurd Patch
Hearthfires
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Dragonborn
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

I'm sure it's correct about your other mods too. BOSS has never given me a problem sorting the Unofficial patches though so that's kinda strange...

edit: Is your BOSS auto-updating? Perhaps it's using an old master list or something.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah thats exactly how it is ordered for me. Guess I'm just going to not listen to MO and trust BOSS.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What werewolf and vampire modifications would you guys suggest? I'm using Deadly Combat and currently, werewolf especially, I don't feel as powerful as either of those forms would really suggest!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Alright, just went through a complete rebuild of my Skyrim, found a setup I think I'm happy with and even got it working smoothly on some test runs with no crashes, despite having over a 160 ESPs, yay!

The one last thing I'm missing is a combat mod. The only two I've used in the past are Duel and the SkyRe module on the one time I tried SkyRe (not using it on this run, sticking with individual changes and SPERG). The only other notable mode I'm using with respect to combat, besides SPERG, is Revenge of the Enemies AI Overhaul and I know there are plenty of mods that change combat behavior out there (Duel, Deadly Combat, Ultimate, probably a couple more I don't know about). Is there a common recommendation, or am I just going to have play with them all?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Iretep posted:

Yeah thats exactly how it is ordered for me. Guess I'm just going to not listen to MO and trust BOSS.
I haven't see MO say that before, so I don't really know what it's warning you about exactly. But it looks like MO is talking about your installation order, not your plugin loadorder.
General MO advice I tend to give: Have the order of your installed mods follow the loadorder of your plugins, unless you want certain files from one mod to overwrite some other mod's files.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

I just realized it's probably referring the the priority order of the mods in MO's order, not your load order. In the left pane there is a priority number that MO uses to decide what overwrites what. Move your mod priorities around from there so the write things are getting overwritten.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Baron posted:

I just realized it's probably referring the the priority order of the mods in MO's order, not your load order. In the left pane there is a priority number that MO uses to decide what overwrites what. Move your mod priorities around from there so the write things are getting overwritten.

Yeah that, if there's one thing I really wish MO had it would be some sort of "copy plugin load order to priority order" function. It can get a little tedious shuffling around everything in the left pane manually, and while this would only affect mods with plugins, that would still drastically reduce the amount of shuffling needed.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Baron posted:

Oh that fixed it. I've already installed all these mods, do I need to reinstall everything and do all the wrye batch and TESedit cleaning again or does just changing the order fix everything?

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

Scyantific posted:

I thini they only assist you if they aggro you. Did you hit first?

I didn't hit him until he was already chasing me. Anyways I made a new start and I haven't come across the same problem, might have been a freak occurrence.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Oh that fixed it. I've already installed all these mods, do I need to reinstall everything and do all the wrye batch and TESedit cleaning again or does just changing the order fix everything?

You shouldn't need to reinstall anything, or do any mod cleaning, as it is just rearranging the files that already existed. If your using a bashed and/or merged patch, I would probably regenerate those but I tend to do that whenever I mess with anything, just to be careful.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Baron posted:

You shouldn't need to reinstall anything, or do any mod cleaning, as it is just rearranging the files that already existed. If your using a bashed and/or merged patch, I would probably regenerate those but I tend to do that whenever I mess with anything, just to be careful.

Bashed/merged patches only contain info in the esm/esp so install order doesn't matter to them unless you were overwriting one esp with another.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

poptart_fairy posted:

What werewolf and vampire modifications would you guys suggest? I'm using Deadly Combat and currently, werewolf especially, I don't feel as powerful as either of those forms would really suggest!

For vampires, Better Vampires

For werewolves, Moonlight Tales with the recommended mods listed on that page.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Is RCRN not designed to be run with any other mod or something? I installed it and now nothing seems to work (the game won't start at all). Am I supposed to launch the game through the Mod Organizer or the RCRN?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you normally use MO, you have to always launch from MO. All the mod data files are in directories in the MO mod folder, not in the Skyrim data folder. So yeah, if you don't launch through MO all your mods won't work.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If RCRN has its own launcher, you can add it to Mod Organizer's list of executables and it should work fine.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, you can chain launch the RCRN launcher from MO, but it's not necessary. The RCRN launcher is just a GUI configuration tool. If you ever want to change the settings to something other than what you configured during installation, just launch it and change any settings you want then go back to MO.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any possible way of importing a character into a new save? I really want to do a new game+ sort of playthrough.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So I recently re-installed Skyrim and am using Mod Organizer this time around, but nearly half the mods I've downloaded and tried to install through it give me an error message - "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive".

What gives? MO seems to come with a bunch of plugins already installed under Settings/Plugins, is there a commonly-needed one you have to get separately?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

So I recently re-installed Skyrim and am using Mod Organizer this time around, but nearly half the mods I've downloaded and tried to install through it give me an error message - "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive".

What gives? MO seems to come with a bunch of plugins already installed under Settings/Plugins, is there a commonly-needed one you have to get separately?

Nexus servers are making GBS threads themselves again and spitting out corrupt archives. You have to download a mod manually then manually install it through MO. I recommend using the London servers as they seem a fair bit more stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

Nexus servers are making GBS threads themselves again and spitting out corrupt archives. You have to download a mod manually then manually install it through MO. I recommend using the London servers as they seem a fair bit more stable.

Hell yeah, that's working. Thanks!

• Locked thread