Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What this really tells you is that you should do whatever makes you comfortable and makes you think is best suited for that particular position, because you're just as likely to get one response as the other.

(I would personally de-emphasize it to leave room for other more engineering-related items.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Filling out a job app, and they are asking me to "List Academic/Professional Honors."

I have two obvious ones but there's space for three. Is making the dean's/president's list worth putting in here? Or would that look more pathetic than only having two items in the first place?

Maybe I could put the time I was elected to a position on the grad students board? Is that an honor? This is hard!

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Can I get a quick opinion on my resume. I posted it in the resume thread but nobody responded.
I figure I'm close enough that I want engineer opinions now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7CJULIN0qqPcWtwZ0tuOFAtZVk/edit?usp=sharing

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Your objective is not an objective, it is a summary. Change the heading or the content.

You forgot to put your GPA on your education.

I personally think that you should have less space below your headings and more above. For example:

quote:

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well.

PROJECTS

Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well.

instead of

quote:

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Research stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well.

PROJECTS

Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well. Projects stuff that I had to trim because it didn't copypaste well.

But that is totally nit-picky technical writing stuff that you shouldn't waste too much time on. It just makes the document easier to skim.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

Your objective is not an objective, it is a summary. Change the heading or the content.
Changed

Corla Plankun posted:

You forgot to put your GPA on your education.
No I did not, it is well below a 3.0.Well at least my FSU GPA is. Not going to include one and not the other. People also told me not to do anything like using a combined GPA(even though its reported on my transcript).

Corla Plankun posted:

I personally think that you should have less space below your headings and more above. For example:

instead of

But that is totally nit-picky technical writing stuff that you shouldn't waste too much time on. It just makes the document easier to skim.
I've considered making that change. Going to make two versions and put them side by side just see which one i like again.

Xeom fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 11, 2014

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Are there anyone here who got a MSc in Petroleum Engineering?

I am curious about life after university. How easy is it to find a job? And what is it like?

I got a BSc in Mechanical Engineering, if thats matters.

Thanks for helping!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thatim posted:

I am curious about life after university. How easy is it to find a job? And what is it like?

Thanks for helping!

I have a BS in ME too, and all the petro guys I knew (just BS, not MS) were falling over job offers. Upstream (as opposed to downstream) seemed to be easier to get a job in and paid better because you have to travel and be on site all the time. I didn't really consider doing that, it's not my kind of lifestyle, but the friends I had who took those jobs seem to like it.

If you just want an oil and gas job you should be able to find one with just a BS in ME. Granted I went to undergrad at a school where Houston-based oil and gas firms recruit heavily, but most of my classmates got oil and gas jobs.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hey guys! I posted awhile back with some questions, so I just wanted to update. I left my teaching job in December after a student made violent threats against me/the class. I am starting Monday at the community college taking college algebra and a refresher chemistry class (not general chemistry, it's this survey of chemistry class I wanted to take prior to general chem because it's been 12 years since I took high school chemistry). I'm also taking Spanish for fun. This summer I will do pre-calc and hopefully in the fall Calc I and General Chem I. It depends on my husband's med board from the military--he may or may not be out by fall, but if he isn't out I can do calc and chemistry here, otherwise I'll have to enroll in them once we move. I'm hoping I can do them here because our community college is only $80 per credit hour.

Long story short, in a year or so I should be ready to transfer into a BSEE program full time. I'm going to be working for Zirtual part time from home while I do all this. :)

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Thatim posted:

Thanks for helping!

Do you have a pulse and can you pass a drug test? If so, sign on the dotted line and accept your signing bonus and a 6 figure salary.

The oil industry is going through what they call "the great crew change", where the distribution of people working in the industry is ridiculously bi-modal with a ton of people in their mid to late 50s/60s and about to retire and people under 10 years of experience. This is heavily compounded with the resource play (shale, tight oil) boom, which requires a lot more people to operate compared to conventional plays. The pay is insane, I believe my intern in 2012 with only that one internship got an offer in the mid 90's and a $15k signing bonus, but it can easily almost double that if you don't care about having a life and work in the field for a service company.

I don't really know too many people that have Masters or Doctorate in Petroleum Engineering, but the really large companies love getting people with extra degrees. There are really a lot of different types of jobs, so you can almost decide what you do and depending on where you get your Masters, it can kind of point in the right direction (i.e. Stanford is known for reservoir simulation, School of Mines does a lot of fracturing research).

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Thanks for the replies!

I am from The Netherlands where pretty much everyone gets a Masters degree. The salaries and the job prospect sounds great in America, but do companies want overseas people? And do you happen to know if the jobmarket is the same in Europe?

Anyways, thanks again!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Thatim posted:

Thanks for the replies!

I am from The Netherlands where pretty much everyone gets a Masters degree. The salaries and the job prospect sounds great in America, but do companies want overseas people? And do you happen to know if the jobmarket is the same in Europe?

Anyways, thanks again!
Are your bachelors 3 year degrees? And masters 1 year? In the US, bachelor degree takes 4 years, and masters take 1-2 on top of that. Most engineers in the US just have bachelor degrees. Is a European masters equivalent to a US bachelors or are there differences beyond the terminology for the # of years it takes?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Well, its a bit more complex then that.
We do got a 3 year Bachelor system, but that is because the part of highschool (we got different kinds) that lets you go to universities is 6 years. Our Masters take 1 year for, except Research Masters and engineering Masters which take 2 years.

But a bachelors degree here is the same as one in America, academicly speaking. I am able to apply for a master in the US for example. But because almost everyone gets there Masters here (because its cheap, 1800 euro a year for tuition fees), you are expected to have one even applying for jobs.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Cmon grover, that's about as dumb as calling Africa a country. Education systems in Europe vary wildly.

From what I'm reading, Dutch engineering Bachelor's is four years and Master's is two years, so yes it would certainly be equivalent to US degrees.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
q!=e

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I know they vary wildly, and that terminology means different things in different countries, but I don't know what those differences are, and wikipedia is not very useful in explaining them. That's why I'm trying to understand this better.

Thatim posted:

Well, its a bit more complex then that.
We do got a 3 year Bachelor system, but that is because the part of highschool (we got different kinds) that lets you go to universities is 6 years. Our Masters take 1 year for, except Research Masters and engineering Masters which take 2 years.

But a bachelors degree here is the same as one in America, academicly speaking. I am able to apply for a master in the US for example. But because almost everyone gets there Masters here (because its cheap, 1800 euro a year for tuition fees), you are expected to have one even applying for jobs.
What age do most students in the Netherlands graduate high school?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Thatim posted:

Thanks for the replies!

Anyways, thanks again!

Not to sound like an ugly American, but as I understand some European masters degree are only equivalent to a US Graduate Certificate. Not because of the quality, but because the programs are sometimes shorter and involve less classes. but it varies wildly.

e;fb

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

CatchrNdRy posted:

Not to sound like an ugly American, but as I understand some European masters degree are only equivalent to a US Graduate Certificate. Not because of the quality, but because the programs are sometimes shorter and involve less classes. but it varies wildly.

e;fb

Thanks for telling us things we already knew and that have already been explained as not applicable to this situation.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Noctone posted:

Thanks for telling us things we already knew and that have already been explained as not applicable to this situation.
Are you being an rear end on purpose? This stuff isn't common knowledge, or we wouldn't be asking questions about it. If you're an expert, please share what you know.

Most US Engineers go through this, or something similar. How's it compare to the Netherlands and other European countries?
code:
AGE      GRADE LEVEL/SCHOOL
1-4      Preschool for some; often nothing at all
5-6      Kindergarten
6-7      1, Elementary school
7-8      2, Elementary school
8-9      3, Elementary school
9-10     4, Elementary school
10-11    5, Elementary school
11-12    6, Middle School / Jr. High School
12-13    7, Middle School / Jr. High School
13-14    8, Middle School / Jr. High School
14-15    9, High School
15-16    10, High School
16-17    11, High School
17-18    12, High School with AP College Courses.  High School Diploma awarded
18-19    Freshman, College: basic science/math classes, some general studies electives
19-20    Sophomore, College: more advanced general science/math classes, some general studies electives
20-21    Junior, University: engineering specific specific classes, some general stuff
21-22    Senior, University: discipline specific class.  Bachelors Diploma awarded
22-24    Grad Student (1-2 years): Masters Degree
25+      PhD Student

grover fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 13, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looking to hear some experiences from people who have worked on getting their masters while working full-time. Amount of effort, how long does it take, does your work-life balance become essentially non-existent, how do you pick 'concentrations', etc.

I'd be doing an MS in EE, not sure of the concentration yet; I've taken a lot of grad coursework in power electronics / power systems but honestly I've grown bored of it. Was thinking signals or maybe even something like VLSI/process stuff, though the latter is probably better suited when you are a full-time masters student and can get to the lab on a regular basis.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
This doesn't quite answer your question but this might be more doable.
http://www.engr.sc.edu/apogee/degree-req.html

This is what I'm planning on doing for grad school.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

grover posted:

Are you being an rear end on purpose? This stuff isn't common knowledge, or we wouldn't be asking questions about it. If you're an expert, please share what you know.
He posted an e;fb post like an hour after everything was already explained.

quote:

Most US Engineers go through this, or something similar. How's it compare to the Netherlands and other European countries?
All of this is on wikipedia christ on a cracker.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

movax posted:

Looking to hear some experiences from people who have worked on getting their masters while working full-time. Amount of effort, how long does it take, does your work-life balance become essentially non-existent, how do you pick 'concentrations', etc.

I'd be doing an MS in EE, not sure of the concentration yet; I've taken a lot of grad coursework in power electronics / power systems but honestly I've grown bored of it. Was thinking signals or maybe even something like VLSI/process stuff, though the latter is probably better suited when you are a full-time masters student and can get to the lab on a regular basis.
I'm working on an Masters in Engineering Management, in a program with a local state university that caters to working professionals. The classes are all at night, typically 1 night a week. I'm taking two classes a semester, which is a challenging workload on top of my full-time job, but isn't overwhelming; I still have time to do my most favorite hobbies, but it definitely cuts into my free time. I'm doing the MS option, which includes a thesis, and likely continuing on for a PhD in Systems Engineering; most students in my program opt for the M.EM which is thesis-free, and involves more electives and a capstone.

Specific workload has varied from class-to-class. I had some that I'd average maybe 4 hours a typical week doing homework and others I'd average 12. When big projects are due, it has sucked up entire weeks worth of weekends and evenings.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 13, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

movax posted:

I did it and it was pretty brutal, but doable definitely. It took me about 4 years doing a MS in EE, concentration in EM. It was a pretty good school in EM and it showed in the tough coursework. I tried to ease into it, taking one class per semester at first, but bumped it up to two. My job was already in engineering which were about 9-10 hour days, and classes were only offered in the day. So I'd end up cutting work to go to class, then working until 9-10 PM, then going back to campus to work in the computer labs until Midnight-1AM. My brain would just shut off then, so I'd go home and wake up at 7AM the next day for work. Whenever we had similar computational tools at work I'd push to use them for a bit during my workday with management - this helped a lot. There were a lot of assignments I wouldn't have completed without that time.

Basically I had no social life and no hobbies outside of work-school. I still had business trips for work so I'd have to stay ahead on homework. A typical class would generate about 20 hours of homework per week (labs played a huge part of this, it was generally doing sim stuff on computers on your own time which were really time intensive, and the labs were integrated into the courses), but the EM classes were in the physics department and I spent a bit on those homeworks.

The biggest issue I had was keeping myself healthy. I'd generally eat in the kind of Engineering Campus union that was there to save time but all the stuff there was nutritional poo poo. I gained about 20 lbs over the four years which sucked, but was always so tired that I only sporadically exercised. I'm generally 6'1" and 175, so it was kind of big deal for me.

I tried to keep my weekends for resting and getting life stuff done (laundry, shopping, anything). I did make an effort to join some stuff with other students, which turned out to be a good call. Everyone else would be in their graduate student offices all day around each other and got pretty close, so if you don't do anything ever you will get excluded and be lonely. I never met another person in any of my classes that was working, they were all full time students. Also you will need to be social with the full time students for help on some of the homework - it saved my rear end a lot.

The upside is that during the summer you work 40-50 hour weeks and it feels like a vacation.

When I was in school I sometimes regretted going to such a difficult school, but in the end the payoff was so massive and so many doors opened it was completely worth it. The two things I would have done differently was immediately take two course per semester, and be really firm about business trip length at my job. I ended up having to drop out of 3 courses due to extended trips. The second time it happened where I had to drop 2 classes at once, I basically told them no more and they reluctantly agreed. I probably could've been done in 3 years then, which would have been nice.

Peanut Fantasies
Jun 19, 2004
Hello fellow Engineers!

I am 4 years into my career at my second job at a small company making aerospace parts and I run the engineering department. I (barely) graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

I feel like I'm in a good place but I'm not doing anything other then networking to get future work. I think a masters is too much cash for me to afford paying back my student loans now, I also think my awful GPA will stop me from getting in. Do I try the PE exam or do I just focus on skills for future jobs like getting my company to pay for CATIA training? Eventually I'd like to go into a large aerospace or automotive company as an Engineering Manger.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Peanut Fantasies posted:

Hello fellow Engineers!

I am 4 years into my career at my second job at a small company making aerospace parts and I run the engineering department. I (barely) graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

I feel like I'm in a good place but I'm not doing anything other then networking to get future work. I think a masters is too much cash for me to afford paying back my student loans now, I also think my awful GPA will stop me from getting in. Do I try the PE exam or do I just focus on skills for future jobs like getting my company to pay for CATIA training? Eventually I'd like to go into a large aerospace or automotive company as an Engineering Manger.

Engineers pay for grad school? :raise:

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Peanut Fantasies posted:

Hello fellow Engineers!

I am a design engineer for a auto supplier now and Catia is a good thing if you want to work with Honda or Toyota in a design capacity. Subaru doesn't do much in the US, Nissan and as far as I am aware GM, Chrysler and Ford use NX. If you want to work in automotive design I would be ready to move to Ann Arbor MI (Toyota), Detroit MI (domestics, Nissan), or Columbus OH (Honda) as most companies design departments, both OEM and suppliers, are settled in these areas.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

OperaMouse posted:

I would say bartending is quite a positive thing to put on an engineering CV: it shows you can work with "normal" people, and are not a geek who only knows his equations.

If only the same were true for working as a loan officer at a bank, a call center, as a warehouse manager, and retail. Bartending just works because now you can make the stupid mixed drinks everyone wants when they invite you to a party. I just get people questioning whether or not I actually want to be an engineer. No, I just spend $20,000 a year for six years so I can work part time at the local DIY store.

Apprentice Dick posted:

I am a design engineer for a auto supplier now and Catia is a good thing if you want to work with Honda or Toyota in a design capacity. Subaru doesn't do much in the US, Nissan and as far as I am aware GM, Chrysler and Ford use NX. If you want to work in automotive design I would be ready to move to Ann Arbor MI (Toyota), Detroit MI (domestics, Nissan), or Columbus OH (Honda) as most companies design departments, both OEM and suppliers, are settled in these areas.

Don't forget Hyundai is in Hope Hull, Alabama, just south of Montgomery. Their main US plant is there, and I'm fairly sure they do some design work there as well.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

YF19pilot posted:

If only the same were true for working as a loan officer at a bank, a call center, as a warehouse manager, and retail. Bartending just works because now you can make the stupid mixed drinks everyone wants when they invite you to a party. I just get people questioning whether or not I actually want to be an engineer. No, I just spend $20,000 a year for six years so I can work part time at the local DIY store.

Don't forget Hyundai is in Hope Hull, Alabama, just south of Montgomery. Their main US plant is there, and I'm fairly sure they do some design work there as well.

Hyundai eng center is in Ann arbor, there are also a couple minor centers for OEMS in SoCal. If you want to do test and eval then Arizona is the place.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Delta-Wye posted:

Engineers pay for grad school? :raise:

Not every employer pays for grad school. My previous employer did, but they required a 6 year commitment afterwards or you would have to pay them back . . . with interest.

My current employer will pay up to $5k a semester for school, but unless you're going to an online degree mill, you're going to be out of pocket for most of it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, I'm going to start out paying out of my pocket because my current company is too small / start-upy to do it; they want to do it "in the future" but I'm already 4 years out from my undergrad, don't know too many people in new city / single / have free time, and I don't want to delay further. It's funny because I'm pretty sure I've posted "lol what engineer pays for grad school" in this thread like 10x.

Uncle Jam thanks for the write-up, that sounds like what I'd end up being in for. I honestly don't know how supportive my employer would be about day classes, but I've straight up told them I plan on starting my MS this year because I don't want to stagnate knowledge / career-wise. If I was at a more "traditional" company, I'd look at the dark-side route of a MBA or other management-y/systems type thing, but I think a hard-science type will be better for me right now.

Re: automotive design work, don't be afraid of moving to Detroit; a lot of the suppliers and other technical offices are not downtown. Allen Park, Dearborn, Auburn Hills, Troy, etc are where most of the offices end up. You've got the Japanese a bit further out in Ann Arbor (best place to live in MI though). Literally all of my college classmates are in the auto industry and I used to be in it as well if anyone has questions about that.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 14, 2014

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of a materials engineering degree?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Pros: A lot of materials fields like graphene and materials for batteries are very sexy right now.

Cons: Materials is boring imo

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My dad did a Materials Engineering degree and the only con I remember that wasn't situational (don't graduate right before the NEP crisis in Alberta) was that you'll always be mad at Mechanical Engineers for choosing mild carbon steel for everything.

Also, phase diagrams. Stress fractures. If you like those, it'd be worth looking into.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You are going to have really like chem as well. I started college as an MSE but decided I liked civil way better. When I was in school apparently 100% of graduates had jobs so there was that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

you'll always be mad at Mechanical Engineers for choosing mild carbon steel for everything.

If it ain't broke why fix it?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Shear Modulus posted:

If it ain't broke why fix it?

At least once a year I say, "Aw gently caress it, let's just make it out of steel."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 10, 2023

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chiming in as a materials engineer with (too much) school. It's a lot like a mechanical engineering degree with a minor in chemical engineering.

It is heavily school dependent on what you actually DO with a materials engineering degree. I went to Illinois Tech for my undergrad degree, and we mostly did metallurgy work, with a side of ceramics. This was pretty good for the area since Chicago still has some specialty steel companies hanging around that would be ever so happy to recruit you, since they have a rather aging workforce. A lot of your jobs will look like "quality engineer" and "process engineer" for your titles, so look at those jobs on indeed.com and see if you think you'd be happy with their description.

Grad school was a whole different animal for me. I did a Phd. in "materials science" at UT Dallas but my research was on carbon nano-materials for electrochemical solar cells, and the majority of the classes for my grad school was heavily geared to the semiconductor industry and process controls of Si wafers and the like, which was pretty sensible, since UT Dallas is essentially a tax shelter for some of Texas Instrument's more out there research. Though I admit, I'm having difficulty on the job hunt currently, since I'm in possession of a PhD. and I decided to get the heck out of academia and I have no "work experience" with a rather advanced degree.

tl;dr
For materials science, "it depends on the university and the local economy" is probably the best answer you'll get.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SeaBass posted:

Not every employer pays for grad school.

movax posted:

Yeah, I'm going to start out paying out of my pocket because my current company is too small / start-upy to do it; they want to do it "in the future" but I'm already 4 years out from my undergrad, don't know too many people in new city / single / have free time, and I don't want to delay further. It's funny because I'm pretty sure I've posted "lol what engineer pays for grad school" in this thread like 10x.

I wasn't thinking about people doing work + school :downs:. I got a free ride by teaching, but that poo poo doesn't fly if you have a big boy job already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Lots of Goons posted:

:words: about materials engineering

Thanks everyone. I've been leaning toward EE, as you know, but I also started looking at MatE because of the manufacturing applications. I'm in a chemistry class this semester, so I'll see how I do with that and go from there. It'll be a couple semesters before I actually start on engineering core since I'm just doing some prereq/refresher stuff, so I have time to decide.