Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pyrolocutus posted:

Looking good! Also, I don't actually have an Axiom of my own, but would it look better (and have adequate support) on the tips of its legs? As in, actual leg to ground contact?

I doubt the legs were designed to be load-bearing, and with that kind of cash/labor investment, I don't think it would be worth the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mt. ORourke posted:

*awesome axiom*

I made a new stand because I hate the rock that the original model is beached on. Not 100% happy with it but better than nothing. If anyone has any ideas for how to make him look more floaty please let me know :)
Acrylic/plexi rod (so it isn't frosted and highly visible) and pin the legs to the base (is it floating right now?).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Looking good! Also, I don't actually have an Axiom of my own, but would it look better (and have adequate support) on the tips of its legs? As in, actual leg to ground contact?

I did this with mine. All I did was file the leg tips flat and presto, glued without an issue.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Thanks for the comments!
Mine does stand on its own three legs just fine, but there aren't good contact points to hold it in place really. The pillar I used is an acryllic tube, but by the time I had filed down the gaps for the model to sit in it was scratched all to hell. The frosting helps cover that. I suppose I could still try a brush on gloss coat, we'll see. I'm happy enough now that I don't want to fiddle with it too much I think.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

So, I've just been informed that my first tournament ever is next week AND it's Deathclock, a format with which I have no experience.

Are there any general tips I should know? Two 35pt lists. I'm playing Trolls because I'm probably most familiar with Runes of War. I was thinking of pairing it with Borka's Family Reunion.

The trick with Deathclock is to still do your turns quickly. Try to have your deployment/first turn practiced and down to a science. Just because you have no time limit on your turns doesn't mean you should waffle on what you do. Getting up on time against someone is a huge advantage, especially playing trolls. When in doubt, jam poo poo in the zone and make your opponent deal with it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Man, I have my Cygnar list for the gimmick 25 point figured out now, but I keep thinking about Legion (which I am going to play in earnest this year!). I just put together my second Warspear unit and started having dumb ideas :v:

Warmonger War Chief (Ignite, Carnivore)
-Shredder
-Shredder
Blighted Ogrun Warspears
-Warspear Chieftain
Blighted Ogrun Warspears
-Warspear Chieftain
Blighted Nyss Shepherd

Warmonger War Chief (Ignite, Carnivore)
-Shredder
-Shredder
Blighted Ogrun Warmongers
Blighted Ogrun Warspears
-Warspear Chieftain
Warmonger War Chief

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Newbie Cryx player here looking for some advice if I can. I've got 7 games under my belt so far, with no wins or anything close to one, which is what I was expecting anyway. I've got the core mechanics down and am now in the process of learning how everyones abilities modify those mechanics. I'm hoping to start scraping some draws this month and have an aim of at least one game that I don't lose.

We're doing a modified Journeyman league at the LGS and this month is 35 points. I'm kinda limited by models at the moment which is partly why I'm struggling so much (that and all the best players line up to play me so they can get a token 3 points for a win...). This month in particular my list was pretty awful but the LGS just doesn't stock much Warmahordes stuff so I just don't have much choice. I used:
- Deneghra
- Battlebox jacks - Slayer, 2 x Deathripper, Defiler
- 6 Bile Thralls
- The Withershadow Combine
- Machine Wraith

On top of that I also have:
- Seether and stalker for when the Withershadow get to do their thing
- 6 Mechanithralls
- Bane Lord Tartarus
- Cankerworm
- Reaper Jack

I've got a unit of Banethralls on order but missed the window for the metal ones and now waiting for the plastics to be released. I'm not allowed to start swapping out battlebox contents yet and while I can swap warcaster if I want, I'm only allowed to do it once in the league. I really like the Banethralls so I want to swap to Goreshade - but only when I actually get some. I was waiting for the Banethralls before ordering anything else, but now I know they're not coming any time soon I'll go ahead and order other stuff while I wait.

I'm thinking of running this:
- Deneghra
- Battlebox Jacks
- 6 Bile Thralls
- 10 Mechanithralls + Brute Thrall
- Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
- Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
- Skarlock Thrall

The local meta is weighted towards Hordes rather than Warmachine (about 2:1 of hordes:machine) so the Withershadows ain't fantastic sadly, but still have some uses. I love the models and love the idea of creating new jacks mid-game and I'd like to keep them if possible. Should I keep them or drop in favour of something else? How does the rest of the list look?

Are there any resources or written battle reports (especially for Cryx battleboxes or Deneghra/Goreshade lists if possible!) that really go into why each player does what they do? There are lots of reports and video reports which report what happens, but never go into much detail on why they do things. I'm trying to learn as much as I can from battle reports, but it's not much without knowing why people do certain things.

On the plus side, I am currently doing really well with hobby points:

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 13, 2014

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm too noobsauce with my Cryx to be of any help. I'm just posting to say that your Cryx look like a way better version of my Cryx, and therefore I now hate you.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Gay Polymers posted:

The trick with Deathclock is to still do your turns quickly. Try to have your deployment/first turn practiced and down to a science. Just because you have no time limit on your turns doesn't mean you should waffle on what you do. Getting up on time against someone is a huge advantage, especially playing trolls. When in doubt, jam poo poo in the zone and make your opponent deal with it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try to get some practice Deathclock games in this week so I will have be able to get a feel for the format.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Practice game for slow grow league today. In addition to the slow grow and death clock rules, we are also going to mix it up a bit.

This year we are selecting 3 casters per game. We roll a d6 to determine our caster at the beginning of the game. To balance points, all warnouns get +5 points.

We are experimenting with also rolling the spell cards as well. This has allowed for some really under or over powered combos so far so we might not continue that.

Going to be fun!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Daedleh posted:

I'm thinking of running this:
- Deneghra
- Battlebox Jacks
- 6 Bile Thralls
- 10 Mechanithralls + Brute Thrall
- Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls
- Necrotech & Scrap Thrall
- Skarlock Thrall

The local meta is weighted towards Hordes rather than Warmachine (about 2:1 of hordes:machine) so the Withershadows ain't fantastic sadly, but still have some uses. I love the models and love the idea of creating new jacks mid-game and I'd like to keep them if possible. Should I keep them or drop in favour of something else? How does the rest of the list look?

I'd drop the Biles. They're good, I mean they are really good but require a lot of horsepower to do there job and pDenny isn't the woman for the job sadly. They lack speed and are rather easy to kill unless you can give them stealth or another buff. The withershadow's free upkeep is amazing and so is puppet strings. Those are both great tools, plus a hellfire or darkfire whatever the hell its called here and there isn't too bad. Making free jacks is great but even when you play vs warmachine its still really hard to pull off, its not their main focus.

Also don't change casters. If you aren't able to pull off wins with Denny you'll have it even worse with Goreshade.

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 13, 2014

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Daedleh posted:

Newbie Cryx player here looking for some advice if I can.

I just started Cryx for a journeyman league at my LGS as well. Someone else with more Cryx specific experience might chime in but I think the problem with your current purchases is they're kind of all over the place. Deneghra can run pretty much everything in Cryx well just because of how she works, but when you're picking out things to put into a list you want to take full packages for a given unit. For banes that means Max Banes + UA + Bane Lord Tartarus(At least the UA.) For Satyxis that means max Satyxis + UA + Satyix Raider Captain, for Mechanithralls Mcthralls + Surgeons.

Honestly with your current list you might consider switching to Skarre1? She likes Mcthralls/necrosurgeon because it gives her more food. You also probably bought way too many jacks. Cryx aren't really a force that runs Jacks outside of one skew list with Mortenebra.

I know not everyone agrees with this, but my approach to the game is to just net list when I'm starting a faction and focus on learning to play it correctly, while knowing that at least my list isn't the issue. It's not really worth it to me to try to work out whether or not my issue is lack of synergy in my models or just my poor play. This may not be the best plan with Cryx though as if you show up every week with like the Gaspy2 tournament list people will probably stop playing you cause you're an rear end in a top hat.

Also this post on Cryx casters and this post on Cryx other stuff by AttackBacon helped me a lot with planning purchases.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

New steamroller is out but the site is getting hammered.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Daedleh posted:

Newbie Cryx player here looking for some advice if I can. I've got 7 games under my belt so far, with no wins or anything close to one, which is what I was expecting anyway. I've got the core mechanics down and am now in the process of learning how everyones abilities modify those mechanics. I'm hoping to start scraping some draws this month and have an aim of at least one game that I don't lose.

I'm a new Cryx player as well, but I've got a pretty decent track record with them at this point, and it strikes met hat you need a lot less jacks and a lot more infantry. You mentioned banes, which are great. Make sure you have a max unit with the UA. Also, consider mechanithralls. I love biles, but I wouldn't run them as my only infantry unit, they get shot up too easily. A Pistol wraith or 2 might be worth playing around with as well. In a small points game, they can really do work in killing key opponent pieces.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing about Denny1 is that in the cryx meta she makes for a great off-list since she's the one cryx caster(aside from ,maybe Denny2) who can make guns work. If you're going to run a Denny1 list, I would recommend either more resilient units, or more shooting infantry like Nyss hunters, steelhead rifles, or even boomhowlers.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

Daedleh posted:

That list looks solid to me unless know that you're going to be playing against some well-tuned lists. If that's the case you might look for some more shooting (Nyss, Sea Dogs, Boomhowlers)

Like you said, the Withershadow Combine is what I'd consider replacing, but that free upkeep is pretty tempting for Deneghra. If you were to replace them, I think I'd look at a Pistol Wraith like Karnegal suggests and a Warwitch Siren.

Karnegal posted:

I'm a new Cryx player as well, but I've got a pretty decent track record with them at this point, and it strikes met hat you need a lot less jacks and a lot more infantry. You mentioned banes, which are great. Make sure you have a max unit with the UA. Also, consider mechanithralls. I love biles, but I wouldn't run them as my only infantry unit, they get shot up too easily. A Pistol wraith or 2 might be worth playing around with as well. In a small points game, they can really do work in killing key opponent pieces.

If he's playing in a Journeyman league he's stuck with the jacks until the final week.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

New steamroller looks good, but the objective that boosts light artillery continues to baffle me. Particularly now that the objective benefit bubble is bigger, it seems sad, really. Is it supposed to be the generic objective, or do they really think it's going to see use?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SirJoeKCB posted:

If he's playing in a Journeyman league he's stuck with the jacks until the final week.

I figured he was fairly far along given all the extra dudes

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

counterspin posted:

New steamroller looks good, but the objective that boosts light artillery continues to baffle me. Particularly now that the objective benefit bubble is bigger, it seems sad, really. Is it supposed to be the generic objective, or do they really think it's going to see use?

At this point I kinda think they're doing it to subtly troll players. This is not a complaint about that mind you.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Fyrbrand posted:

At this point I kinda think they're doing it to subtly troll players. This is not a complaint about that mind you.

I kinda want to get Trencher Chainguns :shobon:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
They're trying to make light artillery less of a huge handicap. Rangefinder needs to be a boost on either end rather than +2 to hit to be viable imo.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

It's just that they made the free charge one useful by making the zone huge(4 inches out from a large base) and the new valor objective allowing solos to hand out fearless like it's going out of style are nice, and then there's 'ole Ammunition Cache, staring back at you.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Karnegal posted:

I figured he was fairly far along given all the extra dudes

We are, but I'm not allowed to swap the battlebox out yet.

In terms of my hodge podge of units, the LGS where the league is taking place doesn't keep Warmachine stock and it's just ordered in as requested. I asked for the banethralls towards the end of month 1, but in the last week month 2 they'd still not arrived since they're not available until the plastics come out. The only models I had was the Battlebox and Bane Lord Tartarus, since that did arrive. I had to go to another LGS and see what they had in stock, just to try and put together 25 points worth of models regardless of how effective they were. They had a 3 for 2 January sale on so I pretty much bought up almost everything I could and ended up with the mix of units that I have. I ended up having to proxy the Machine Wraith to get the extra 1 point in.

Saalkin, I'll give the Bile Thralls another road test for the first half of the month (if just because of the £ saving by not swapping them out straight away). They only got shot off the board or bounced off the enemy, even with the purge attack, when I tried them out. I was a little underwhelmed to be honest. I'll try swapping them for a couple of pistol wraiths if that doesn't work, or maybe another unit of Mechanithralls?

Cheers guys. Got plenty to read up on now.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Daedleh posted:

Saalkin, I'll give the Bile Thralls another road test for the first half of the month (if just because of the £ saving by not swapping them out straight away). They only got shot off the board or bounced off the enemy, even with the purge attack, when I tried them out. I was a little underwhelmed to be honest. I'll try swapping them for a couple of pistol wraiths if that doesn't work, or maybe another unit of Mechanithralls?

One good purge removes a good chuck of infantry, it's just not easy to pull off, and when your opponent knows about it the biles will get targeted like no tomorrow. I'd take pistol wraiths for sure. They are amazing at a lot of stuff, just be care. At 3pts and low arm you don't wanna kill two models or shut down a heavy once then lose the fucker.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

counterspin posted:

It's just that they made the free charge one useful by making the zone huge(4 inches out from a large base) and the new valor objective allowing solos to hand out fearless like it's going out of style are nice, and then there's 'ole Ammunition Cache, staring back at you.

I think the worst part about Ammunition Cache in my meta is the prevalence of Menoth, worse most of my club players love the Sunburst arty it's already good extra damage die on that thing :qq:. Not to mention one of best players likes minions and plays the Razor back arty with carver all the time:cry:

susan
Jan 14, 2013
RE: the new Hardcore Scenario.

...Is it just me, or does Butcher3 kinda rule this scenario? Can he literally just stand in the middle of the 12" circular zone, suck in any opposing models & flashing blade them, and flip the bird at the opposing 'Caster that needs to stay so far away from him they're probably killboxing themselves? Is there any 'Caster that can dominate the center of the board better than him?

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
He has counters, if Butch 3 can't cast spells it reduces his kill potential a fair amount and lowers his threat range considerably. He is still very powerful in killbox type situations where you have to be in his range all the time.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh man, Sunburst crews are freakin awesome and anything that buffs them is awesome.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

well Issyria spoilers are up and all I can say is WTF
SPD 6, DEF 16, ARM 13
15 boxes
FOCUS 8
+6 WJ points

Feat: True sight to friendly Faction in control area and Signs and Portents discarding any die.

Action: Ancillary attack

Flight
True Sight
Arcane Vortex

Spells:
Admonition
Crusader's Call
Involiable Resolve
Velocity
and... Blinding Light: same cost as Crusader's Call, target warrior model/unit cannot make ranged or magic attacks and decreases their DEF by 2. RNG 10.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dlkrb9.jpg

that blinding light spell is kinda nuts

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 14, 2014

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
16/13 with 15 boxes, no attacks or zot spells. It's probably pretty balanced overall.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Speaking of spoilers here you go Cryxians if you haven't already seen it
Goreshade is:

SPD 8 / Mat 7 / Def 14 / Arm 17

FOC 7

Pow 15 Reach Magic Weapon Auto-Stationary

Spec ability: One or more enemy models casts a spell in his Ctrl, he can cast a spell for free next turn

Feat: Place ANY number of 3" AoEs centered on friendly models in this model's ctrl. All enemy models in AoEs without immunity: cold become stationary. Chosen friendly models are destroyed.

Spell:

Infernal Machine
Occultation
Siphon Bolt (Pow 12, costs 2, removes 1 foc/fury)
Mockery of Death (Bring back friendly model, it comes back with 1 life and forfeits action)edit: grunts only cost 2
Scything Touch

don't forget he is on a horse too so cav rules
apparently siphon bolt works like kaylessa's gun

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 14, 2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hoboskins posted:

Speaking of spoilers here you go Cryxians if you haven't already seen it
Goreshade is:

SPD 8 / Mat 7 / Def 14 / Arm 17

FOC 7

Pow 15 Reach Magic Weapon Auto-Stationary

Spec ability: One or more enemy models casts a spell in his Ctrl, he can cast a spell for free next turn

Feat: Place ANY number of 3" AoEs centered on friendly models in this model's ctrl. All enemy models in AoEs without immunity: cold become stationary. Chosen friendly models are destroyed.

Spell:

Infernal Machine
Occultation
Siphon Bolt (Pow 12, costs 2, removes 1 foc/fury)
Mockery of Death (Bring back friendly model, it comes back with 1 life and forfeits action)edit: grunts only cost 2
Scything Touch

don't forget he is on a horse too so cav rules
apparently siphon bolt works like kaylessa's gun

So uh...is there a duration on the stationary effect? Or no?

Also looks pretty kickin' rad!

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

No clue I am reposting the spoilers at a guess considering you need to kill a model to use it and it is a small aoe I would say 1 round

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My Ret player is super happy. Sounds like a total pain to fight against. Halberdiers will love her. Sadly I still think she is going to be a 1-2 jack caster.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My Ret player is super happy. Sounds like a total pain to fight against. Halberdiers will love her. Sadly I still think she is going to be a 1-2 jack caster.

Yes, but one of those jacks will likely be a Hyperion. Two Starburst shots a round, with the ability to crit-fish on the feat. Phoenix makes a good second jack, for the same reason plus the arc node for Blinding Light.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hoboskins posted:

well Issyria spoilers are up and all I can say is WTF
SPD 6, DEF 16, ARM 13
15 boxes
FOCUS 8
+6 WJ points

Feat: True sight to friendly Faction in control area and Signs and Portents discarding any die.

Action: Ancillary attack

Flight
True Sight
Arcane Vortex

Spells:
Admonition
Crusader's Call
Involiable Resolve
Velocity
and... Blinding Light: same cost as Crusader's Call, target warrior model/unit cannot make ranged or magic attacks and decreases their DEF by 2. RNG 10.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dlkrb9.jpg

that blinding light spell is kinda nuts

Another FOC 8 caster, with that spell-list? With our infantry? I think I'm in love.

Ossyan probably got demoted to 3rd list for me. Good Ret players will probably still run him in 2-list, but I can't not-run Rhan.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I will be curious too see if there is any other complimentary jacks or units coming out in vengeance for her, we still know nothing about Imperatus or whatever its called. she is very squishy that is her weak point presumably but I imagine it is something that can be overcome to some degree

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Hoboskins posted:

I will be curious too see if there is any other complimentary jacks or units coming out in vengeance for her, we still know nothing about Imperatus or whatever its called. she is very squishy that is her weak point presumably but I imagine it is something that can be overcome to some degree

Well if Ret has one good thing, its heavy arc nodes.

Evilmonstar
Nov 18, 2012

I dunno, Goreshade3's feat seems like a strictly worse version of pSorscha's feat. I mean I guess it's sort of apples and oranges considering those two have totally different kits, but still, its kinda meh.

Mockery of life is also kind of meh. Because you can't make an action that really limits the mileage you get out of what you revive. The only thing it really looks good for is strategically placing a bane for maximum dark shroud effectiveness

I mean he still looks interesting, but the Ret caster looks waaay more bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I've already seen some interesting lists that bring in Elara to run the heavy jack. Ancillary attack doesn't require battlegroup, so an Elara/Banshee cannon can get kind of interesting. Blinding light and Arcane Vortex also help to keep Elara alive.

• Locked thread