Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Maybe its a strain of xxxx-cilin and you're destroying the cure for cancer :science:

I can take some scrapings and mail them to you if you're interested in culturing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had similarities to an onset of schizophrenia from a toxic mold infestation in my room while in college.

Mold: Not even once.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Its trying to spiderman you into becoming the motorcycle stig, put it on asap. Don't gently caress this up.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Bought a helmet that was too tight, thinking that the padding would break in eventually.

Turns out the pressure point I feel is from the actual shell of the helmet itself, where there's no padding.

Super stoked to try and get a swap-out from my local shop!

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Anyone hear of or have an opinion on stuff made by Xelement? I've seen them on Amazon and the buffalo leather jacket I got from them has been quite nice for the ~150 dollar price tag but I have no idea about any of the other gear they make or if the stuff will actually hold up in a crash. It seems like it will, but seeming and doing are very different things.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Got my last bit of Christmas presents in the mail yesterday (actually stuff I bought for myself, but :colbert:). It all came from that place that had the $8 blue Kevlar gloves mentioned a month or two back (Iron Pony). As it turned out, they had some other closeouts, wound up buying some more stuff:

Alpinestars Winter Tech Suit: I already have some base-layer type stuff, but this was marked all the way down to $60 and available in my size, so I went ahead and bought it. When I took it out of the box my initial reaction was "What is this, a thermal base layer for ants?!". Very stretchy and snug though, I'm 185cm/75kg and it fits fine, pretty similar to compression-type gear. Getting the right shoulder zipper up required a bit of finangling, I think I'm getting the hang of it though. A little concerned about the zippers not being so heavy-duty, but guess I can't complain until one actually fails.

Alpinestars Summer Tech Short-Sleeve: be a while before I can really field test this, but again, crazy markdown from $90 -> $20, so tossed it in with my order, as that makes it even cheaper than the Underarmor compression tee I got last year. Very light, stretchy material, comfortable to wear... I can see myself wearing this under another t-shirt or something in the summer. I'm planning a month-long road trip for July/August, so I think stuff like this or the Underarmor shirt can be washed in the sink at night and hung out to dry, allowing me to stretch the regular shirts I'm wearing over them to a few uses.

Both of these remind me that I have a bit of weight to lose around my midsection, heh. Normally I shy away from A* stuff because I find the prominent branding really obnoxious, but both of these are pretty understated, plus are meant to be worn under other stuff anyways, so my usual reservations don't apply.

I got some Mojave perforated gloves in a woman's medium for passengers (mostly MY GIRLFRIEND). Didn't really notice in the picture that the thumb, index, and middle finger are cut off at the first joint. Really loving questionable whether I'd let a passenger wear them, although especially in summer (when they'd be otherwise unwilling to wear their own gloves), I suppose they're definitely better than nothing. Can't really get too pissed off, only paid $8. Will keep an eye out for something better, at any rate.

Also two pairs (one large, one medium) of the aforementioned $8 Kevlar gloves. I bought the mediums for a passenger, I tried both on and seem to be just between a large and a medium, story of my life. Still, they're much, much better than the Costco mitts I was using before; can operate the controls almost as well as with my summer gloves, they're just as warm and comfortable, and presumably there's some Kevlar there so my hands aren't completely hosed if I take a spill. I'm going to keep my eye out for some cheap, "real" winter gloves, but I reckon these should do just fine in the interim. For the price, couldn't be happier.

Haven't been able to put the gloves/winter suit to the real test yet (last day or two have been unusually warm), but took a quick jaunt around the neighborhood last night and they felt pretty solid.

Edit: oh, I brought my Frogg Togg Frogg Leggs (overboots) with me on my roadtrip (car) last week, they worked out pretty well in the snow. drat nice/useful things to have.

edit2: was just at a secondhand store and found a nice BMW mesh jacket that I can barely squeeze into (it's a Japanese medium), think it'd fit my girlfriend. She had a rough day today and I'm tired of wearing my lovely second-string jacket while she wears my good one (which fits her like a tent), plus I think I coulda done better on her Christmas present, so I picked it up as a gift. It's nicer than my Rev'It Airwave and cost half as much! :argh: (new vs secondhand, but still)

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 5, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Is this the thread to ask about the best options for helmet-to-helmet intercoms? I've been riding 2up with my girl, and I'm getting tired of shouting back and forth. Ability to stream music simultaneously to both devices would be cool, but not neccessary. The Sena SMH10D-11 seems to be the best bet at first glance?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Is this the thread to ask about the best options for helmet-to-helmet intercoms? I've been riding 2up with my girl, and I'm getting tired of shouting back and forth. Ability to stream music simultaneously to both devices would be cool, but not neccessary. The Sena SMH10D-11 seems to be the best bet at first glance?

You are correct.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

I have the SMH10 and it's great (just use it for navi/music playing). Probably going to buy a second unit for a passenger soonish.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wore a S Shoei RF1100 for a while, then switched to a XS Scorpion Exo400 that my ex left after I was cleaning and realized it actually fit me... here is the thing - the drat $180 MSRP Scorpion is a better helmet than the MSRP $450 Shoei. The Shoei is louder by far, incredibly flimsy in the visor mechanism area, the padding won't stay clipped in around the back, and it fogs like mad when it's cold out (I use the breath guard all the time). Only upsides I can think of are that it flows more air and it's noticeably lighter - kinda pissed when I realized I spent money on a name alone... so my question is what is a decent helmet that's not just a brand? I'd like to spend $300-$350, at most. The RF1100 fits my head shape, as a data point.

Also, I love how no shops stock XS/S helmets - then when I do go try stuff on they try and sell me on a medium even though it's barely tight brand new. I'd imagine most people are riding around in a size too big, at least.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 6, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I wore a S Shoei RF1100 for a while, then switched to a XS Scorpion Exo400 that my ex left after I was cleaning and realized it actually fit me... here is the thing - the drat $180 MSRP Scorpion is a better helmet than the MSRP $450 Shoei. The Shoei is louder by far, incredibly flimsy in the visor mechanism area, the padding won't stay clipped in around the back, and it fogs like mad when it's cold out (I use the breath guard all the time). Only upsides I can think of are that it flows more air and it's noticeably lighter - kinda pissed when I realized I spent money on a name alone... so my question is what is a decent helmet that's not just a brand? I'd like to spend $300-$350, at most. The RF1100 fits my head shape, as a data point.

Also, I love how no shops stock XS/S helmets - then when I do go try stuff on they try and sell me on a medium even though it's barely tight brand new. I'd imagine most people are riding around in a size too big, at least.

Yeah I kinda feel you on that - my gf's EXO500 has a sun visor, pump-up cheekpads etc. and it was less than 50% of my Shoei (which also fogs like a motherfucker). Unfortunately the Shoei is the only thing that fit my gigantor head and it does it well - I don't feel it at all. I replaced the cheekpads in mine with a thicker size, which helped the wind noise - I also didn't install them correctly and griped for several months about how they wouldn't stay clipped in the back. You might want to pull them and really doublecheck they're in right. Mine are great now.

I would guess that most stores like to sell a size up to lessen the chance of people trying to return helmets that are "too tight" the next day.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

slidebite posted:

Anyone have an idea how Nolan helmets fit? I take XL in HJC, but XXL in Shoei. Looking at a Nolan N90 modular.

I have a really round head (about a 7 3/8 hat) and Nolan's XL fits just a tad loose on me. Arai XLs are a touch tight for reference. Nice lid.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

At least at my local store, their current gear guy really knows his poo poo as far as helmet fit.

I went in to try on a shoei. My old helmet was a large HJC, according to HJC's sizing thing I was right on the line between med and large, and had been thinking I should probably have gone med on that one. So, I tried the shoei in medium and thought there was no loving way this thing was going on my head, so I grabbed the large and it felt tight but overall fine.

Then the guy says here lemme show you this, and he pulls the side padding out of the medium and tells me to try it on. I said it fit fine like that, so he compressed the pads a bit, put them back in, and said to try it again, that I'm a medium, and the comfort padding could be compressed and worn in a bit, if it's too tight leave the comfort pads under a book overnight or something. I ended up buying the medium, and it's broken in fine. It really was the right helmet, and I would have been perfectly happy walking out with a large before he intervened.

So there probably are a few gear counter guys out there that know whats going on. The problem is figuring out which one you have before you buy the wrong stuff.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't know which Shoei you're referring to but a lot of times the Mediums and the Larges are the same shell with different pads anyway. I know my Arai RX-Q is like this.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

fogs like mad when it's cold out (I use the breath guard all the time)

fogs like a motherfucker

Pinlock is your friend and I wonder why Shoei includes it with all their helmets in the EU but not in the US? Have had pinlock in all my Shoeis and not even heavy breathing in an attempt to deliberatly fog them up at about 35F did anything.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Winter wins.

I live in Florida, can anyone recommend a decent but not pricey set of cold weather gloves that'll see maybe five weeks of use a year? My summer gloves with liners aren't cutting it anymore.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Winter wins.

I live in Florida, can anyone recommend a decent but not pricey set of cold weather gloves that'll see maybe five weeks of use a year? My summer gloves with liners aren't cutting it anymore.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...y2/9851%20GLOVE

Reasonably decent winter gloves for eight bucks. My thoughts on them are somewhere in this thread (looking...).

Edit: here

Safety Dance posted:

I just got my winter gloves from Iron Pony. They're the same ones OSU_Matthew mentioned earlier. http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...y2/9851%20GLOVE

Pros:
* Very warm
* Fit about as expected -- XL is about the same as Alpinestar's XL
* Eight bucks
* Probably contain some kevlar
* Probably better than my super duper light mesh summer gloves

Cons:
* Look and feel pretty weak compared to my Helds or old Alpinestars
* Even with the Velcro tab as tight as I can get it, I can still pull them off.
* Really quite thick

Also pictured is my new heated jacket. I'm really excited about that.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just received my set of Rukka d3o armor. I wanted another set of d3o armor so I don't have to swap it back and forth from my usual gear and the lighter and more ventilated good weather gear.

Small shoulder pad is klim, big is rukka. I'm glad they supplied that black velcro pocket because drat they're huge and they didn't fit my armor pocket. They fit into and stay in their proper place with the loose black round velcro, though I feel kinda orky.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Supradog posted:

I feel kinda orky.

Hoping this was a Rukka/dakka reference and not a typo

I'm fairly sure with d3o you can just trim it down with scissors if it's too big. Should say somewhere in the stuff that came with it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Snowdens Secret posted:

People are probably going to pile on, but:

Cycle Gear :words:

This is from last page, but, I work at Cycle Gear, and this is pretty much true. We used to stock a whole lot more, but BiLT (yes that's how they spell it) is taking over. It's all because of the margin on in-house brands. Bilt, Sedici, Street and Steel, Seven Zero Seven, and a few more are all in-store brands.
Bilt gear is good for getting you going. It's a total crap shoot as to whether or not it'll hold up and for how long. The big selling point is the five year warranty. At my store, we don't care how old it is and will generally take it back, but that all depends on what store you're in.
Sedici (it means "sixteen" in Italian I've been told :haw: ) is actually better quality, but still has a crap shoot factor. Biggest thing is that it's a life-time warranty.
The Vortex gear is CG's latest gear and seems decent. We've sold two sets and both customers are happy so far. The big thing with them is the removable storm guard on the neck, and the liner being Freeze-Out (which is actually pretty nice).
While we can order almost any brand, I wish we stocked more than a couple of A-Stars and Dainese jackets. People go into the store to try stuff on. Ordering it blind through us, they may as well get it online.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hoping this was a Rukka/dakka reference and not a typo

I'm fairly sure with d3o you can just trim it down with scissors if it's too big. Should say somewhere in the stuff that came with it.

well, yes, and my shoulders look huuuge.

I'll have to trim the knee/shin protectors, they're about a foot long.

I took the opportunity to wash my main gear, it'll dry out in the 3 more months I gotta wait for spring anyway..

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Just picked up an RF-1200 to replace my aging RF-1100 which I upgraded to after my RF-1000 was starting to get old.

Anyway, the weight decrease is noticeable enough to me and it feels/looks a bit smaller than the RF-1100. The venting is much better with the addition of a brow vent although any wind coming through the chin vent seems to make more noise(However, the vent is 3 position adjustable so there's a nice compromise between silence and wind. It's not terrible though since the pinlock system keeps the visor fog free and so I can keep the chin vent closed even in stop and go traffic. The pinlock does allow for some ghosting at night but it's not really that big of a deal. I did 45 deliveries in 10 hours and the helmet was broken in by the end of my shift. Wind blast seems to be better with a larger sweet spot as to how much you can turn/nod your head without the wind moving your head around. The rear vent is easier to operate being just a single slider vs 4 different rear vents. The visor closes down much more securely and cracking it open is a pinch although I did like the lever they utilized on the RF-1100.

Also, the RF-1200 is actually quieter than the GT-Air that I compared it to.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I like to ride to work when it gets a bit brisk. But I don't really want to put heated grips on my bike. So I'm considering battery packed heated gloves. The rest of my gear keeps me warm, but my gloves are terrible at retaining heat.

Are there any not expensive options? MotorcycleGear only has one battery pack pair of gloves... And they're pricey.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

Just picked up an RF-1200 to replace my aging RF-1100 which I upgraded to after my RF-1000 was starting to get old.

Anyway, the weight decrease is noticeable enough to me and it feels/looks a bit smaller than the RF-1100. The venting is much better with the addition of a brow vent although any wind coming through the chin vent seems to make more noise(However, the vent is 3 position adjustable so there's a nice compromise between silence and wind. It's not terrible though since the pinlock system keeps the visor fog free and so I can keep the chin vent closed even in stop and go traffic. The pinlock does allow for some ghosting at night but it's not really that big of a deal. I did 45 deliveries in 10 hours and the helmet was broken in by the end of my shift. Wind blast seems to be better with a larger sweet spot as to how much you can turn/nod your head without the wind moving your head around. The rear vent is easier to operate being just a single slider vs 4 different rear vents. The visor closes down much more securely and cracking it open is a pinch although I did like the lever they utilized on the RF-1100.

Also, the RF-1200 is actually quieter than the GT-Air that I compared it to.
How does the head shape compare?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Ziploc posted:

I like to ride to work when it gets a bit brisk. But I don't really want to put heated grips on my bike. So I'm considering battery packed heated gloves. The rest of my gear keeps me warm, but my gloves are terrible at retaining heat.

Are there any not expensive options? MotorcycleGear only has one battery pack pair of gloves... And they're pricey.

I don't know how long your ride to work is, but when I rode in midwest winters, I found that some handguards would make a pretty big difference. Looks a bit dorky, maybe, but depending on the bike it could be a cheap, temporary and easy option till it warms up.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Ziploc posted:

I was there and arrived at the same conclusion. Even pricey heated gloves appear to be a bit of a crapshoot. I asked for and received Oxford Hot Hands for christmas as something of a go-between. I really like my grips, and the inner bar heating elements would be right next to some LED wiring I've got going on in there so I didn't want to go the heat demon route.

Sometime between spring and not -10 degrees outside I'll be installing them. I dig the idea of 'quick release' heated grips and hope they work out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
We've had 40-45F tand not a lick of snow since early december, so I've been out riding a lot (for the season anyway). Got myself a little more protection.

As always, it's a bitch being long and thin. The larger sizes fits me better lenghtwise but the armour parts move around a lot since the fabric is then made for a guy double my weight or more, and the smaller sizes makes the back protector and chest plate sit too far up. The Leatt BP Adventure (pictured) was the best compromise, even though the Dainese Wave was a lot better in other ways (much easier to take on and off, the mesh of the Dainese seemed like it'd feel a lot better in summer than the fabric of the Leatt). Sometimes good enough is all you get.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

How does the head shape compare?

The headshape feels very familiar to the RF-1100 with the base of the helmet being a bit more snug. I don't know if it's because I have long hair but my left ear will sometimes need a moment to "unfold" after squishing it into the helmet. It's not a big deal but it never happened on my RF-1100.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...y2/9851%20GLOVE

Reasonably decent winter gloves for eight bucks. My thoughts on them are somewhere in this thread (looking...).

Edit: here

So an update: I tried mine for my commute to work this morning and I can't say I'm very impressed. Was probably around 3C, but commute is only ~22 minutes at around 40-60kph, plus my bike has bark busters/handguards. My fingers were uncomfortably cold by the time I got to work, honestly can't say these did a much better job than my perforated leather summer gloves. They *feel* warm when you put them on, but I don't think they're really designed to give much protection from wind. For $8 I can't really complain too much, plus I have some (unheated) glove liners from a pair of Costco mitts that I think might make them more serviceable (doable thanks to the bit of extra room I have in the Large size), but still, not as good as my first impression.

I will say nice things about my Underarmor balaclava though. Definitely keeps my face and neck (sorta, really helps to throw a dollar-store neck warmer on) a lot warmer and more comfortable during rides, and helps prevent chapped lips. Does cause my helmet's integrated sun visor to fog if I cover my nose with it, but that's not really the fault of the balaclava or the helmet. As a bonus, seems to prevent the worst of helmet hair, requires a lot less wrangling when I get to my destination.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2014

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
:siren: RF1100 on sale for $250 :siren:
http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-RF-1100-Motorcycle-Helmets-Solid-RF1100

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress that is a steal. Too bad I don't need a new helmet. :saddowns:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I'm tempted to buy that next week, but they've been going for about $280 at various places online for a while now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is Aerostich still the #1 name in textile touring gear? They have a lot of brand clout, but some folks on ADVRider badmouth them (then again, it's ADVRider :rolleyes:).

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I, and a few others in my club, have Motoport gear and we're really happy with it. If you google around people go back and forth over which one is better (Motoport vs Aerostich) but from what I've read it's either a tie or goes to Motoport. Their website is kinda poo poo but their gear is great.

I've got the Ultra Kevlar II jacket and pants with the quad armor and it's pretty excellent. My dad has the same pants and the Kevlar mesh jacket and loves it for warm/hot weather. They make the gear to order based on your measurements so you get a lot of options and gear that fits perfectly. Their Kevlar blend fabric is really comfy too. Shits expensive but it's worth every penny.

Also, for whatever it's worth to you, they do a lot of rider education stuff at the BMWMOA Rally and probably other places which makes me happy.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The thing with Aerostich is that it's a suit with protective features and Gore-Tex, but that's it. You still need insulating layers under it in the cold and you can only get so much ventilation in the hot. It's also not out of the box customized for some of the more extreme ADV riding people pretty much never do but want the look of. It's also eye-poppingly expensive and doesn't get updated very often.

I like Teiz a lot. The guy who runs Teiz (Ghazi?) talks to customers on a dozen different forums (including ADVRider), updates his suits regularly and will work with you extensively to get you the custom suit you really want. The big downside with the Powershell is that he doesn't use Gore-Tex or an equivalent, which might be a non-issue or a deal-breaker depending on how deep into the wet cold you ride. There are a couple other options with considerably more venting that obviously are also not waterproof. I bought a used Powershell a year back that's a wonderful suit, that unfortunately isn't quite tall enough for me; I also had an older-generation Commute Suit loaner for a bit but now I see that's been discontinued.

I don't really know anything about Motoport and should look into it. I will point out that one of their suits uses this picture.

My gut feel is that if you're going two-piece instead of one-piece it's much more likely that you can find off-the-shelf sizes that fit, even considering Goons seem to always be some sort of Slenderman / Yeti / Andre the Giant build. If that's the case, and you neither want nor need the expense of custom fitting, then you have a world of options. I've tried on the Rev'It and Dainese high-end stuff and have a Rev'It Gore-Tex suit and can't think of any way it's lacking. Non-custom-sized stuff also has a lot fewer surprises buying used.

ADVRider posters tend to overwhelmingly favor vendors that interact on the forum, and I've never seen Aerostich reps post there or offer discounts. It's also overwhelmingly a bunch of crotchety old men who like to shake their fist on the Internet. I'm not saying there's not seeds of knowledge in the chaff, but you need to know to sift.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Pope Mobile posted:

This is from last page, but, I work at Cycle Gear, and this is pretty much true. We used to stock a whole lot more, but BiLT (yes that's how they spell it) is taking over. It's all because of the margin on in-house brands. Bilt, Sedici, Street and Steel, Seven Zero Seven, and a few more are all in-store brands.
Bilt gear is good for getting you going. It's a total crap shoot as to whether or not it'll hold up and for how long. The big selling point is the five year warranty. At my store, we don't care how old it is and will generally take it back, but that all depends on what store you're in.
Sedici (it means "sixteen" in Italian I've been told :haw: ) is actually better quality, but still has a crap shoot factor. Biggest thing is that it's a life-time warranty.
The Vortex gear is CG's latest gear and seems decent. We've sold two sets and both customers are happy so far. The big thing with them is the removable storm guard on the neck, and the liner being Freeze-Out (which is actually pretty nice).
While we can order almost any brand, I wish we stocked more than a couple of A-Stars and Dainese jackets. People go into the store to try stuff on. Ordering it blind through us, they may as well get it online.
I quit a while ago because gently caress that company, but from what I've heard (at least in the area I live) *~*~EXCLUSIVE BRAND*~*~ sales are way down and they're slowly starting to stock more quality gear.

Some of the poo poo I've seen with the BiLT gear is downright scary and it got to the point where I would refuse to even mention it to anyone. The Trackstar gear in particular and the way they market it is downright disgusting. Fun facts:

If you hold a pair of Trackstar gloves with 2 fingers in each hand and try to pull them apart, the glove will actually rip in loving half.

If you take a pair of Trackstar boots and try to push the toe downward towards the heel, you can actually fold the boot in half. You should NEVER EVER EVERVERVERVEVREVREVREVREVRVER be able to do that with a pair of boots. Especially a pair of "track" boots.

My favorite, and this is a great way to hault a sale if someone is dumb enough to try to buy one, is to take a Trackstar suit, unZip it, and hold it up towards the window (or any light). You can see right through the suit. I always wanted to try ripping that leather on the back of the suit - I'm pretty sure you could shred it by hand.

I think the only CG branded stuff that is decent quality and I'm actually passionate about are the Megaboost batteries. A gel battery with a lifetime warranty is a tough deal to beat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How terrible are the RSD jackets? :v: http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Sands-Design-Mission-Leather/dp/B005X4E5RM

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 13, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Is Aerostich still the #1 name in textile touring gear? They have a lot of brand clout, but some folks on ADVRider badmouth them (then again, it's ADVRider :rolleyes:).

Rukka. Buy a set of their pro- stuff and it'll come to more than your bike is worth, but you will be warm and dry. My only complaint is the legs for the pants are a bit too long, and the prices are eyewatering. Their midrange stuff has a Gore-Tex layer between the outer fabric and the liner, so the outer fabric can still get wet and retain water, but has the benefit of only costing an arm and a leg. The pro- stuff is 3-ply Gore-Tex bonded to the outer shell and it doesn't even really get wet, a bit like a 3-ply Gore-Tex shell for outdoor sports. Unfortunately it costs an arm, a leg, and your firstborn.
There's some decent clearout deals here on the stuff at the moment, but it's still expensive as hell. I ended up sticking with Dainese for new pants because I didn't want to deal with having to get the zips changed on my jacket and it's way cheaper.

I did spring for these though
http://www.rukka.com/motorsport/products/#!product/gtx-3fingers

and they're warm and dry and loooovely.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I like Teiz a lot. The guy who runs Teiz (Ghazi?) talks to customers on a dozen different forums (including ADVRider), updates his suits regularly and will work with you extensively to get you the custom suit you really want. The big downside with the Powershell is that he doesn't use Gore-Tex or an equivalent, which might be a non-issue or a deal-breaker depending on how deep into the wet cold you ride. There are a couple other options with considerably more venting that obviously are also not waterproof. I bought a used Powershell a year back that's a wonderful suit, that unfortunately isn't quite tall enough for me; I also had an older-generation Commute Suit loaner for a bit but now I see that's been discontinued.

I own a Teiz Lombard and I find it extremely mediocre. Yes, it's a very reasonably priced suit, but it takes a long time to get on. The wrists feel like they're made of about three pounds of velcro and the resulting fabric bundle is hard to push gloves over. I can't get over the dumb-rear end waterproof back pocket that is not only completely useless, but poofs open like a parachute on the Interstate. I'm hoping to find a step up that will also be waterproof.

Also, since this is more for touring than commuting, I was thinking the Darien jacket + pants rather than the Roadcrafter. When I get a commute again, I'll go for the Roadcrafter.

Wow. Maybe. Are their shells waterproof, or do they have waterproof liners?

Galler posted:

I, and a few others in my club, have Motoport gear and we're really happy with it.

Also a good suggestion. Is it all mesh gear?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

No, their only mesh gear is the mesh kevlar jacket. Everything else is a kevlar blend fabric that's a bit stretchy and somewhat soft.

The mesh flows a lot of air so it's great in warm weather but pretty cold otherwise.

The ultra kevlar II stuff I have works for me in all the weather I feel like riding in which is about freezing to 90*f. When it's cold I wear the rain liner (pants) which is a pretty good wind stopper and my aerostich wind stopper (jacket, at some point I'll order Motoport's rain liner jacket) and heated jacket if needed. When it's 90*f and humid it's warm but manageable while moving but it's pretty hot while stationary but I don't think there's much out there that isn't hot in those conditions.

It's not waterproof without the liner but it's fairly thick and dries fast so if it's only a light rain you probably won't get wet. Otherwise put on the liner or frogg toggs.

Galler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2014