Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also the monster not being in focus/treated like the biggest threat is kind of a dumb thing to complain about when the main theme of this show, like the entire point behind it, is an Endless Rider War. Like, well duh they're being treated as more than grunts/foot soldiers because they're not the real threat. Yggdrasil is. Zangetsu is. Baron is.

To steal a joke It Turns out Man is the real monster.

Um, so, you're just not actually reading a thing I said then? Got it.

I said, literally, the opposite-I would have preferred if they DROPPED the monsters almost entirely to focus purely on the characters, like GranSazer. That's the whole reason I went on a mini thing about GranSazer because I loved how it tackled the Too Many Heroes To Introduce For Villains To Matter thing.

I loving love Monsters of the Week, I really do. When they're done well, they can MAKE a season. Kamen Rider has a rich history of fantastic MOTW, and it's one reason I love Black and V3 so much-but not all stories need them. Some really, really don't. Gaim is one of those. What annoyed me was that they kept throwing in the monsters when they really should have just focused on the Rider action, up to the point where the monsters start being an actual threat. To compare it to two other Toku, I love Metalder because it doesn't have MOTW, it just has a poo poo LOAD of villains, and I love Bioman because the MOTW are all giant robots that don't bother being human sized, leaving the five main monsters to be reoccuring threats across most of the series.

Gaim started, however, finding a good balance between monsters and Riders recently and that's cool. I legitimately am looking forward to where it leads. Especially if certain rumors prove true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Maybe if there was more than the small handful of Riders we've gotten so far? Or if they were fighting for some cause other than petty disputes over dance stages? Maybe if they were actual disputes at all. Bravo at least was rightfully annoyed that they were kids just playing around, but he's a joke character suffering a joke character fate. Griton/Ornac and Kurokage as well. It's hardly a war if half the characters are treated like joke fodder.

Congrats you've grasped the whole point of the start of the first arc. They're playing at life and are about to be thrust into serious poo poo. Also I'm not sure how the number of riders affects whether or not the series is about Riders fighting Riders.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Congrats you've grasped the whole point of the start of the first arc. They're playing at life and are about to be thrust into serious poo poo. Also I'm not sure how the number of riders affects whether or not the series is about Riders fighting Riders.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I wasn't questioning if it was Riders fighting Riders. I was questioning your proclamation about the show giving us an "Endless Rider War."

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When they literally have redshirt Rider armor they give to foot soldiers he's actually not that far off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I wasn't questioning if it was Riders fighting Riders. I was questioning your proclamation about the show giving us an "Endless Rider War."

Technically, it's up to the show to live up to those promises, since Kouta was the one who called the events to come an "endless war" during his end-of-Ep. 11 narration about things getting more serious and having to grow up.

But really, this was an incredibly silly thing to nitpick.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

The main loving Character is the one who called it an Endless War!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
To be fair, I really can't take Kaito seriously when the show paints him as this 'The STRONG will thrive, the WEAK will perish' dude from episode 1, and then has him apply it to being the best dance team in the city with no real irony. And considering he's half the reason the war started, that's an issue for me.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 10, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

To be fair, I really can't take Kaito seriously when the show paints him as this 'The STRONG will thrive, the WEAK will perish' dude from episode 1, and then has him apply it to being the best dance team in the city with no real irony. That's why his best scenes to me are with Kouta, because he does that and Kouta just goes 'Yeah, whatever buddy'.

Hase and Jonouchi are petty enough in their wants to balance it out at least.

Kaito's uber seriousness basically makes him the best character. Dude just has to be the best and that means being INTENSE AS ALL HELL about everything.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 10, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite scenes are when he's just dicking around with cards.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

The card thing is the best.

The tricks or the fact that he can murder TV's with them?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Yes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I wonder how many TVs they've gone through at the Baron "HQ" since Kaito started throwing cards around.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

To steal a joke It Turns out Man is the real monster.
The Most Dangerous Gaim. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I wonder how many TVs they've gone through at the Baron "HQ" since Kaito started throwing cards around.

One TV but they're not allowed to bring Phones and tablets anymore after that nasty game of 52 pick up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I still really want a deck of his fruit themed playing cards.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

The Most Dangerous Gaim. :v:

Close enough.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The times he's just spilled a whole deck in front of someone with his expression completely unchanging.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

The times he's just spilled a whole deck in front of someone with his expression completely unchanging.

I just love him. Like out of this entire culture of dancers he's the only one who can really put on a spectacle/performance. And he's not even trying. It's just who he is.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Something just occurred to me (spoilered just in case). Is the tree in the Yggdrasil lab the same as the shrine tree from the flashbacks? I'd check but I'm at work atm.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Baofu posted:

Something just occurred to me (spoilered just in case). Is the tree in the Yggdrasil lab the same as the shrine tree from the flashbacks? I'd check but I'm at work atm.

I was thinking that. It's not like a confirmed thing but it makes sense what with Mai going to be the Shrine maiden of that temple and then Not-Mai being some weird Fate Ghost from Helheim.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Potsticker posted:

I hope they are selling well, if only that this format is a lot more interesting than the two-episode one-monster arc format and I'd like to see it continue.

I was really hoping that they'd dropped the two episode format they had done since Decade when this show was announced, and I'm glad it turned out to be the case. It worked well in Decade and W, and it was alright in OOO and Fourze but starting to overstay its welcome. I think Wizard almost looked like it was going to drop it and I was hopeful this was the case, but they stuck to it and I think that was probably another reason the show was so dull (besides all the other problems it had).

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I just realized why I like the the Gaim belts and especially the genesis belt. It reminds me of the silly Kamen Rider G wine belt.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Raws are out for Gaim 13, it's a pretty hectic episode.

Thoughts: People turning into soilbeds for the Helheim plants is actually pretty disturbing. Bravo has some cool scenes this episode and I liked the blatant fanservice that went on to take him down (yes I know this is to market the fact that action figure parts are interchangable). That next episode preview holy poo poo. :tviv:

I found a recording of some kind of small live show for Gaim while looking on twitter for Gaim stuff. The cheering that starts at around 6:25 from a bunch of small children is adorable. But amongst their cheers, suddenly I finally realize the full impact of "oh my god someone actually let Gen Urobuchi write a children's show".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8Y_6lE5Cc

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
And subs are out.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Wow so that was an episode HASE NO

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Apollove posted:

Wow so that was an episode HASE NO

And the SUFFERING begins. Also holy poo poo the disease the Invess are spreading is terrifying as all hell.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
WAIT ACTUALLY I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING. So eating a fruit turns you into an Invess, alright, fair enough. But...aren't those fruit also technically lockseeds? So...does something like that happen when you use a lockseed too much?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Apollove posted:

WAIT ACTUALLY I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING. So eating a fruit turns you into an Invess, alright, fair enough. But...aren't those fruit also technically lockseeds? So...does something like that happen when you use a lockseed too much?

The Driver system probably negates the side effects of the fruits. After all, when you pick up a fruit as a Rider, it turns into a lockseed. Whoa. Lockseeds literally lock away the deadly fruits

I love how Baron uses the Lance as a hammer and the Hammer as a lance.

Also, I can't wait for Bravo to shoestring Jounichi along to fight Gaim and Baron. Its going to be magical.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So, honest question, as someone going into this as their first watched KR but hearing random details of the other ones - the body horror thing a constant of the series, or just something we're hitting on for this plotline? What little details I know of some of them suggest it might come up often.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So, honest question, as someone going into this as their first watched KR but hearing random details of the other ones - the body horror thing a constant of the series, or just something we're hitting on for this plotline? What little details I know of some of them suggest it might come up often.

I know OOO had at least one story that involved a guy getting crazy fat and it gave me the willies.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Kamen Rider is a guy kidnapped by Nazis and turned into a cyborg against his will. There's always been occasional body horror tones.

Didn't Gackt tear his arm off at one point in the Decade movie?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'll put it this way.

All of the original Riders, up to Kuuga and Agito (And Gills)?

Their true forms aren't the human ones. What they actually look like are the Rider forms. All for different reasons...well OK most of them are cyborgs but that's neither here nor there.

Rider-Man is the sole exception, and he's the way he is because he got his arm loving MELTED OFF IN AN ACID POOL and had to replace it.

All of the monsters of Kamen Rider up to possibly Kuuga with VERY few exceptions? All were once human. More than once in the original shows we actually get to meet the person before they're forced to become a monster, almost always against their will. Things get a bit murky after Agito on which Riders are humans and whose monsters used to be humans, and Double added the element where the humans turned monsters could be saved.

And then there's Shin. Just, look up Kamen Rider Shin some time.

This is pretty much just a return to form, depending on how it goes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Welp, looks like things are getting serious, really looking forward to how this plays out. Also I think the transition to a more serious tone has worked fine so far, I know some people were worried that the tonal shift would feel unnatural but for me at least the transition has felt very smoothe.

I also finished up OOOs, so some thoughts on that: I think over all Double and what we have seen so far of Gaim are better than OOOs, but OOOs was still quite good. I think it lacked the cast chemistry of Double and Gaim but I found some characters, especially Ankh, to be pretty interesting and entertaining. Maki was a bit stale as a final villain but I thought his motivations were interesting. Ankh was just a really great character with great character development, his realization of how lovely existence as a greed is and his sacrifice at the end was great and even though it was sad, at least he got a soul in the end. :unsmith:

The greed in general were pretty tragic characters, Cazali was a huuuuge dick and I never really felt sorry for him, same thing with Uva. But Mezool's motivation was just sad, and poor Gammel, he just wanted a mom. :smith: This is why you don't give people with the mind of a five year old incredible destructive power.

Date was a loving awesome secondary rider(and Ironman reference!), but I think he overshadowed Eiji too much, though that is more because of Eiji's character. Goutou was decent, but nothing amazing. Eiji was pretty flat, but it makes sense for his character, it just doesn't work well for a protagonist. And of course you have the best character: Kougami! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It's a wonder that they had a set left after shooting his scenes with they way he chewed the scenery. :allears:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't seen 13 yet, so no spoilers please if he develops even more, but is anyone else super interested in Jounouchi/Ornac/Gridon? He seemed like just comedy fodder at first, but him walking away from Hase after the betrayal and his plan of attaching to someone strong has me wondering what his deal is. It could just be the usual lackey seeking protection angle, but he seemed too, I don't know, intelligent? in that scene for it to be that simple. I have a feeling there's more to him and I can't wait to to find out what it is, if there is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm really interested in Jonouchi mostly because he appears in the first scene of the show, and he was one of the first-shown Riders in promotional material, which would make you think he would be as important as Ryugen, Baron and Zangetsu, yet he's done absolutely nothing of importance until now. Considering how Hase ended up, I find it really hard to believe that they aren't planning something big for our favourite nut here. I just can't think of WHAT, other than siding with Baron again sooner or later.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's apparently a picture of him fighting Marika in the magazines, that could be interesting, depending how worthwhile a character she is to interact with.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

There's apparently a picture of him fighting Marika in the magazines, that could be interesting, depending how worthwhile a character she is to interact with.

I haven't seen 13 yet, again, but I've seen the promo material, and is Marika by chance the Fruit Bar spy girl? Or was that a one off thing? They focused on her a lot.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
You know I think seeing Kaito and the rest of Team Baron doing the dancing stuff during this episode really makes me wonder what exactly Kaito is actually trying to /do/. I mean he hates Yggdrasil ok I get that, but how does running the dance team help with that.

Maybe I missed an explanation somewhere or forgot something, could someone please clarify?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Apollove posted:

You know I think seeing Kaito and the rest of Team Baron doing the dancing stuff during this episode really makes me wonder what exactly Kaito is actually trying to /do/. I mean he hates Yggdrasil ok I get that, but how does running the dance team help with that.

Maybe I missed an explanation somewhere or forgot something, could someone please clarify?

Kaito's Beat Rider stuff isn't really connected to his beef with Yggdrasil(though that'll probably change when/if he gets clued in on the stuff Kouta and Michy know). He's a guy who wants to be powerful and everyone to know it and before a magic fruit belt fell into his lap his only major option as a dumb teenager was to be the best at the stuff all the dumb teenagers in the city are into. So, dancing and Invess Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm really interested in Jonouchi mostly because he appears in the first scene of the show, and he was one of the first-shown Riders in promotional material, which would make you think he would be as important as Ryugen, Baron and Zangetsu, yet he's done absolutely nothing of importance until now.

The theory is that he was just thrown in there because his design/costume had been finalized and Kurokage/Bravo's hadn't. I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Locked thread