Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It wouldn't be so bad if the gavelkind mechanics didn't invariably make your 2nd and 3rd son superdukes and your king a 1-county king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really do wish pagans were permitted to have the Elective law as well as Gavelkind. I mean, it makes sense, since it's pretty well-known that those Norse countries held moots.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arglebargle III posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the gavelkind mechanics didn't invariably make your 2nd and 3rd son superdukes and your king a 1-county king.

This isn't really what happens. Your top level title and one title underneath will be given to your main heir, while the rest are split amongst your other sons. So if you keep one kingdom, one duchy within that kingdom, and all counties within that douchy, while giving away other duchies and counties to your other sons, you should inherit all of it on your main heir. Hasn't failed for me yet.

It's when you keep multiple duchies for yourself without giving out anything to your secondary heirs that things can get out of hand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh, this game. My lowborn genius Grey Eminence godmother Sif who educated me is still chugging and now raising my granddaughter. :allears: It's a family thing.

On the other family note, saving up gold not for mercenaries but to murder disappointing sons when they come of age is working okay for now. Only level 2 education? Sorry, not good enough. NEXT!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
If you're strong enough and your neighbors are weak enough, go on a conquering spree and hand out duchies to your sons before you die. If all your non-heirs have one, then everything is peachy.

Last time I was Norse King of England, I got lucky with Karling wars and civil wars so I could bite off duchies in France every couple of years.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm curious, did the mongols and aztecs get their troop numbers nerfed in 2.0 or are they still rocking 100k doomstacks in a world where even the greatest powers can barely put together 30?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

I asked in the EU4 thread too, but haven't gotten a response yet.

So I've got this weird issue I can't find any help on. I'm trying to start a EU4 game using a CK2 converted save. The save shows up in the mods list in the launcher like it is supposed to, I make sure it is selected and start the game, and once the game is loaded nothing it still appears to be vanilla, and in the in-game mod menu I can see the save there listed as inactive. Anyone have or know of this issue? Everywhere I searched it seems to go unanswered with a bunch of idiots just saying "did you select the mod in the launcher" when I've already made it clear that I have.

I just want my glorious Mongol Empire to continue forever. :(

Anyone?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Did you copy the resulting mod into the EU4 directory under steam, or in my documents? Did you export in "observe" mode? Since you say you've activated it in the launcher I assume it's not a linux/macOS problem... I don't really have any idea, that's all I got from searching. Maybe something went wrong during the conversion, have you tried converting again?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can't believe I was rooting for my 12 year old son to die of pneumonia. :smith: He did and I'm down to four. :unsmigghh: My 0 martial son who I was waffling about murdering is off with the Varangian Guard so we can only hope that something horrible happens to him.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Arglebargle III posted:

I can't believe I was rooting for my 12 year old son to die of pneumonia. :smith: He did and I'm down to four. :unsmigghh: My 0 martial son who I was waffling about murdering is off with the Varangian Guard so we can only hope that something horrible happens to him.

The dark side of primogeniture. I've made murdering my disappointing heirs and their children a daily pass time. It's a real chore when you have to eradicate your firstborn that happened to be very fertile, because keeping the little squirts alive could result in a regency.

rvm
May 6, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I'm curious, did the mongols and aztecs get their troop numbers nerfed in 2.0 or are they still rocking 100k doomstacks in a world where even the greatest powers can barely put together 30?

Mongols get 60-75k troops now in 5-7 stacks, I believe (fun fact, if you're a Russian Emperor or something, that's less then your rebelling faction leader might get). If you defend against them, they don't form a deathstack, but carpet siege instead, so with 30k troops plus mercs and holy orders and allies you might be able to wipe them out. Assassinating their leaders (especially flank leaders) at the beginning of the battle helps tremendously as well. AI still isn't equipped to deal with them, though.

Don't know about Aztecs.

rvm fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 13, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

rvm posted:

Mongols get 60-75k troops now in 5-7 stacks, I believe (fun fact, if you're a Russian Emperor or something, that's less then your rebelling faction leader might get). If you defend against them, they don't form a deathstack, but carpet siege instead, so with 30k troops plus mercs and holy orders and allies you might be able to wipe them out. Assassinating their leaders (especially flank leaders) at the beginning of the battle helps tremendously as well. AI still isn't equipped to deal with them, though.
Oh, that's much more fair. Neat.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm unreformed Norse, King of England, and I have six sons. Help! :gonk:

How do I not explode the kingdom when I die? I have a good 20 years left on the throne with a popular and talented king. Not too good at stabbing though.

Give everyone a duchy, with content ones getting the most powerful ones, saving your best for your eldest son of course. Oh you didn't conquer a duchy for each of your sons? Bad viking!! When your king dies have the new king placate enough of them with land/gold/independence/imprisonment to prevent getting overthrown. Or just use your Norse super-retinue to kill everyone anyway, I haven't had much trouble with gavelkind once I get a big kingdom going because my retinues just crush every rebellion before they have a chance to stack their troops up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there a particular sub-mod of CK2+ that changes all the country names to their native languages? It's like, I already know the Byzantine Empire called itself Basileia Rhōmaiōn, I don't need the game to remind me. Plus, it seems to interfere with some of the test EU4 exports I've done.

EDIT: It was Cultural Titles. In retrospect, this should have been kind of obvious.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

If you control the area where they first appear (Khiva?) you should just let them occupy some territories and admit defeat when you can (they won't accept defeat from you until they have occupied a couple of counties) then you could either declare war on them or wait until they declare on you again. I would wait until they declare on you a second time since you get the +75 "defending from heathens" relationship bonus with your vassals so you can raise much higher levies. Then I would split up my armies in 15-20k stacks and try to take their stacks one by one. Try to position them so that they attack you in counties where you geta big defensive bonus like mountains and rivercrossings. You should be able to beat them with a much smaller army this way.

rvm posted:

So if I've got an 80k army now and a fat treasury I can put up a pretty drat good fight?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arglebargle III posted:

That 0 martial son will come back a superbadass. That's how it always works.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I've never once conquered Rome in CK2. The pope has no allies but I'm sure I'm going to piss off all the Catholic nations right? For reference I'm playing as the Byzantines from the Old Gods start date and it's currently the year 963 and I've gradually expanded both East and West. I own half of Italy and I'm starting to eat pieces of Mesopotamia and Persia.

Pretty easy start date for the Byzantines it seems, lots of fractured kingdoms all over the place. Ended up having my heir marry the Queen of Bulgaria early on so both Bulgaria and Wallachia were easily acquired. Only thing that sucked was my grandson that inherited the Empire and the Kingdom of Bulgaria was of Bulgarian culture and a couple of my counties flipped to Bulgarian when he inherited. My next ruler is Greek again though and with high stewardship so they should flip back to Greek again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm unreformed Norse, King of England, and I have six sons. Help! :gonk:

How do I not explode the kingdom when I die? I have a good 20 years left on the throne with a popular and talented king. Not too good at stabbing though.

I have had my King of Lithuania, Duke of Samogitia (Zematijia) + Duke of Lithuania, Count of 7 counties + 1 barony leave ALL of that land to his first son by giving all secondary sons three Counties and one Duchy BEFORE THE FATHER DIED. If you address the situation before the father dies it is a non-issue. If you wait, you get:

Arglebargle III posted:

If you can conquer or revoke (I definitely suggest conquering, especially as a Norse) you get:

Broken Cog posted:

This isn't really what happens. Your top level title and one title underneath will be given to your main heir, while the rest are split amongst your other sons. So if you keep one kingdom, one duchy within that kingdom, and all counties within that douchy, while giving away other duchies and counties to your other sons, you should inherit all of it on your main heir. Hasn't failed for me yet.

It's when you keep multiple duchies for yourself without giving out anything to your secondary heirs that things can get out of hand.

And i even keep a second duchy for myself without a problem. Gavelkind law is satisfied if your non-primary heir have 3 counties and a duchy. Sometimes two counties and a duchy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mustang posted:

So I've never once conquered Rome in CK2. The pope has no allies but I'm sure I'm going to piss off all the Catholic nations right? For reference I'm playing as the Byzantines from the Old Gods start date and it's currently the year 963 and I've gradually expanded both East and West. I own half of Italy and I'm starting to eat pieces of Mesopotamia and Persia.

Pretty easy start date for the Byzantines it seems, lots of fractured kingdoms all over the place. Ended up having my heir marry the Queen of Bulgaria early on so both Bulgaria and Wallachia were easily acquired. Only thing that sucked was my grandson that inherited the Empire and the Kingdom of Bulgaria was of Bulgarian culture and a couple of my counties flipped to Bulgarian when he inherited. My next ruler is Greek again though and with high stewardship so they should flip back to Greek again.

The pope can call a crusade as soon as Rome is not held by Christians. Catholics won't take Rome because he can excommunicate them, heretics are probably busy being holy warred by the rest of Christianity, and if infidels (ie. Muslims) take Rome they will get crusaded very soon.

But you are Christian and not under the authority of the pope AND not a Catholic heretic. Being the Byzantine Emperor is the safest position to take Rome from the pope. He cannot call a crusade because you are a Christian, and the other Catholic rulers won't give a poo poo about it.

Restoring the Roman Empire is pretty easy from the Old Gods start date.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Couple of dumb things I found today:

Crusades unlocked in 950~ because the count of Braunschweig converted to Fraticelli. While under a Catholic king. :pwn: Either the Paris/Cologne/Braunschweig/etc one should be non-Christian, not just non-Catholic, or it should only be if the top-level ruler converts. It was one dude out of the realm's 25~ guys, and nobody else in western Europe had converted. Hardly a major trigger.

Factions bullshit :argh: playing as the king of France, my vassal, the duke of Burgundy, refused to give up his title at a faction's request. They fight it out, the Duke loses... and the duchy passes from my realm to Lotharingia's. Why? I *think* because she had been in the court of one of the Lotharingian counts. Wasn't even landed. (As it was a woman who I know was unlanded at the start of the war, and the realm wasn't running absolute cognatic, can't have been landed immediately prior to victory.) If Lotharingia had attacked me to enforce the claim he wouldn't have gotten it (well, actually, as both were Karlings it probably would, but you know what I mean), but because my vassal's vassal did it, I lost an entire duchy -- because the war happened inside the realm, the duchy passes outside of the realm. :bang: As you can't join your vassals' wars, I had *no way* of preventing it from happening. And because I'm not a Karling, I can't take it back without sinking 600~ gold into it. :sigh:

rvm
May 6, 2013

Sartana posted:

So if I've got an 80k army now and a fat treasury I can put up a pretty drat good fight?

Yes, just don't declare on them. They do form doomstack when defending. Or attack and have an epic and potentially disastrous (horse archers with Altaic leaders can deal ridiculous damage) battle.

rvm fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 13, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A strange and wonderful thing happened. I had started a game as the count of Braunschweig. After a few years another count decided to form a faction to press my claim to the duchy of Saxony. The actual duke, Duke Otto was imprisoned by the king because of an earlier revolt to institute elective succession so I ended up being the defender in the war to make me duke. Wars are pretty easy when you win by losing.
Also, its kind of funny that the starting duchy of Saxony doesn't actually have any bits of the de jure duchy of Saxony in it. On the other hand it allowed me to form the duchy of Brunswick right away.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's about 1100 in my game and I'm doing better than expected, and want to fight the Aztecs as a challenge. Is it possible to turn on Sunset Invasion partway through a game, or will it cause problems?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, uh, don't play a patrician from the Old Gods bookmark, right? (can't do poo poo for what, a hundred years?)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So, uh, don't play a patrician from the Old Gods bookmark, right? (can't do poo poo for what, a hundred years?)

They did change it so level 1 trade practises lets you have -80% of the cap instead of the old -100%, but that still limits you to 1 for the most part, unless you can get shitloads of adult men of your dynasty in your court

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, that's much more fair. Neat.

I don't know, having an unstoppable horde of 1,000,000+ mongols rampage through the world because any Jews existed at all was pretty funny, if a horrendous bug.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Nah, not necessarily. Steal technology and breed your family. I actually really like it, I prefer the more gradual trade post expansion to the crazy rush in 1066.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If I create the Kingdom of Sicily title and give it to the Doge of the Republic of Sicily will it make it a kingdom level Republic? Or will it still just be an ordinary kingdom?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mustang posted:

If I create the Kingdom of Sicily title and give it to the Doge of the Republic of Sicily will it make it a kingdom level Republic? Or will it still just be an ordinary kingdom?

You cannot grant kingdom titles to Republics or Theocracies. You can give them all the necessary duchies and wait for him to create it, though. He would then turn into the Most Serene Republic of Sicily

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What is the average amount of adult male dynasty members in your court when you're playing as a republic in, oh, 1350? I'm at that year, and even though I have max trade practices, my max trade post limit is around 16. At one point, probably 150 years ago, I had enough to construct 28.

I take every male dynasty member and make sure they have a diplomacy or economy upbringing for the fertility bonus in their education trait, and marry them off to the youngest women I can find that have as much fertility as possible, and I've been doing this all game. The only time I don't do that is when I want to make sure my heirs marry other geniuses. And of course, I keep them all in my court, unlanded.

Am I missing something? Or does that sound about right?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Nightblade posted:

Did you copy the resulting mod into the EU4 directory under steam, or in my documents? Did you export in "observe" mode? Since you say you've activated it in the launcher I assume it's not a linux/macOS problem... I don't really have any idea, that's all I got from searching. Maybe something went wrong during the conversion, have you tried converting again?

The mod shows up in the launcher without copying it from the location it generates in the CK2 files. I did try copying it into the EU4 directory in my documents, but not in steam, so maybe that's it. I don't even know how to get into "observe" mode, I was playing as my emperor when I exported it from the ESC menu. I tried exporting a second time and that one has the same problem. I'll try copying into steam when I get a chance and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Just tried it and got the same result. Welp.

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 14, 2014

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
Got my army up to 100k when the Mongols attacked but unfortunately a rebellion in Greece and an invasion in Egypt had me spread too thin. One stack got destroyed when I was distracted and it was over. Now, the question is, to I flee into Europe or Africa before the Mongols take everything I've got?

http://i.imgur.com/MMCa5DN.jpg

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

pwnyXpress posted:

The mod shows up in the launcher without copying it from the location it generates in the CK2 files. I did try copying it into the EU4 directory in my documents, but not in steam, so maybe that's it. I don't even know how to get into "observe" mode, I was playing as my emperor when I exported it from the ESC menu. I tried exporting a second time and that one has the same problem. I'll try copying into steam when I get a chance and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Just tried it and got the same result. Welp.

Do the actual files in the exported mod look right? An easy way to check would be to look at the country localization files in the mod and see if all of the wacky CK2 tags that aren't in the basegame are there.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Excelzior posted:

You cannot grant kingdom titles to Republics or Theocracies. You can give them all the necessary duchies and wait for him to create it, though. He would then turn into the Most Serene Republic of Sicily

Doesn't always work though, I had a doge set up in Wales with two republics under his direct control, never created the kingdom and ended up losing Gwyned to a faction that called to have him give it up. He even created a new republic because he had to give up the original second duchy I gave him.

e: this is easily fixable in a non-Ironman game though, by swapping to the doge then selecting Create Title when he has the two duchies already.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 14, 2014

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Sartana posted:

Got my army up to 100k when the Mongols attacked but unfortunately a rebellion in Greece and an invasion in Egypt had me spread too thin. One stack got destroyed when I was distracted and it was over. Now, the question is, to I flee into Europe or Africa before the Mongols take everything I've got?

http://i.imgur.com/MMCa5DN.jpg
Burn your way across Europe as the Mongols burn everything behind you. You know, for fun.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Burn your way across Europe as the Mongols burn everything behind you. You know, for fun.

Slash your crops and poison the wells for good measure.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My gay brave hedonist son tried to murder me for the third time!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So apparently restoring the Roman Empire as a Republic... makes you no longer a Republic(!)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What happens if you give a kingdom title to a republic? Do they stay a republic, or do they suddenly become a kingdom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

How do you start a succession crisis? I got a duchy in Scotland just so I'd have a vote (they went Feudal Elective) and voted for myself, which put me in second place, so I should have been a pretender with a claim when the old King died, right? But I've got no claim and no Succession Crisis CB or anything. I'm Emperor of Brittania Alba so I'm Scotland's de jure liege if that makes any difference.

• Locked thread