Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

There has to be one anime TV series that's good. One series that makes everyone say "I usually hate anime, but." Is this series on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mescal posted:

There has to be one anime TV series that's good. One series that makes everyone say "I usually hate anime, but." Is this series on Netflix?

Cowboy Bebop isn't, no.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Cowboy Bebop is not on netflix, but its spiritual succesor Samurai Champloo is

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

mr. stefan posted:

Yeah I should warn you that Trigun does get pretty silly and it's not until episode 5 or so that you really start to see what the show actually is and not the front it puts up.

The show literally would not be even half as interesting without Vash being the way he is. His entire "mildly retarded wacky superhero" gimmick is supposed to be irritating because it's a facade put up by an incredibly broken person trying to fool himself into feeling cheerful, and the best moments of the series work as a contrast between the way Vash pretends to be and how he actually has to act to survive. (MAJOR loving SPOILERS) The moment in the third-to-last episode where he has to put a bullet in Legato's head would not be nearly as powerful as it is if he hadn't spent the entire series up till then trying to convince himself and others that killing is 100% unacceptable.

Thematically, I understand that. But it is written terribly. Any time I watched an episode of Trigun, something interesting and cool would be going on with minor characters, and I'd be invested in what was going on, and then Wacky Anime Man would come along and it'd get real stupid real fast.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He was a Quiet Man is not a movie one would expect from the writer of Suburban Commando.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just watched A Hijacking and it is a really good, extremely tense pirate movie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mescal posted:

Legend of Galactic Heroes is not on netflix, sorry.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mescal posted:

Gurren Lagann is pretty good in that its entire point is to poke fun at anime while being incredibly excessive. I thought it was loving stupid when my roommate started watching it until a few episodes in when I realized it's actually :krad:

Also echoing the movie recommendation of The History of Future Folk, it's a pretty cute, light comedy.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Gurren Lagann is pretty good in that its entire point is to poke fun at anime while being incredibly excessive. I thought it was loving stupid when my roommate started watching it until a few episodes in when I realized it's actually :krad:

This thing ramps up in size and scale in an incredibly small amount of time considering how long it takes in something like DBZ for Goku to even hit SSJ2 and it never fails to go completely above and beyond your expectations once things start going again.

Nothing anime - wise had made me feel the pure unencumbered joy that comes from watching giant robots fight each other like Gurren Lagann. That being said, it is stupid as hell.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think anime also has eras, too. I know I find almost all modern anime made after 1998 or so to be not my cup of tea, but that seems to be the most readily available stuff on the various streaming services.

Meanwhile, I really like the stuff from the early 80s through the mid-90s, which is much less common on those services.

Oddly enough, Hulu of all things seems to have become a bit of a location to find those series: Dirty Pair, Fist of the North Star, DBZ and they've even added Ranma 1/2.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Mescal posted:

The three anime shows that are actually worth watching- Fooly Cooly, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent- aren't on Netflix, but they're definitely worth tracking down.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Monster is a good anime in that it could be a live action show. Not on Netflix though.

For people who missed it on last page because of all the :iamafag:anime:razz: talk, Season 9 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia just went up on the UK/Ireland site.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I tried watching Enter the Void last night. I really wanted to like it, but I ended up turning it off halfway through because I was just bored. I can see how someone would really dig that movie, but it just didn't do it for me.

I just got done watching The American Astronaut though, and I had a blast with it. I went in totally blind, and I'm glad I did because it was a complete shock and loads of fun.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Serving Life is a pretty drat powerful documentary about hospice care in prison and some prisoners who volunteer in helping the sick prisoners.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Monster is a good anime in that it could be a live action show. Not on Netflix though.

Aw yeah,Monster is loving gorgeous, no anime wackiness...it's an amazing thriller. Now I'm sad Netflix doesn't have it.:smith:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In my opinion, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best anime, and it actually is on Netflix. The original Fullmetal Alchemist is skippable though.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Mescal posted:

As someone who has hated anime for a very long time, the Ghost In The Shell series, not the movies, is one I really enjoyed.

Apparently it's not on streaming anymore though. So no, nothing on Netflix.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 12, 2014

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Khorne Flakes posted:

As someone who has hated anime for a very long time, the Ghost In The Shell series, not the movies, is one I really enjoyed.

Apparently it's not on streaming anymore though. So no, nothing on Netflix.

Yeah this is a cool one, as is Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Though brotherhood does have the filler episodes in there and drags sometimes, but that's just how it goes.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
If you have any interest in Chinese cinema, it looks like they've added a good number of 5th and notably 6th generation films to the catalog. Although nowhere near as good as Blind Shaft, Frozen was a fairly good example of Wang Xiaoshuai's work. More like Italian neorealism with that raw punk tone.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Joshlemagne posted:

I disagree. There are pacing issues through the middle but I didn't it hurt the overall show that much. And when I think "everything bad about anime" and things that "make anime intolerable to non-fans to begin with" I'm pretty sure it's more sexualizing underage characters, annoying hyperactive characters, excessive fanservice and things like that which the show is thankfully free of.

So, you're okay with entire animation sequences missing and then episodes which are just monologues to save even more budget. There's a bit where they even just stick still images over people chatting and walking down stairs. They don't even bother animating their mouths.

The characters still just look like children anyway and from about the 12 episodes I watched it was starting to be blonde hair kid is praised as a genius for coming up with obvious plans, autistic girl is amazing at everything, main character has a get out of jail free card where he can regenerate any wound and suddenly explode into a magic fleshy mecha.

edit - I agree with the praise for Ghost in the shell. It can be really speachy and suffers from the still picture of a person's face with their mouth moving a little too much, but it's still good and pretty. I think my favourite episode was the first one of the second season with the guy who day dreams about killing his boss.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2014

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
On a lark, I threw on The Last Stand and I'll be damned, it was a fun-rear end action movie. It moves along at a pretty good pace, the characters are all pretty likable (or at least watchable) and the set-pieces are pretty well constructed. I also wasn't prepared for how violent it ended up being. But, y'know... fun violent. It's a solid three star Schwarzenegger standard.

edit: Meanwhile, Drinking Buddies illustrates one of the golden rules of film-making: we the audience kind of need to care about your main characters, otherwise your little drama playing out doesn't mean anything to us. DB felt like a bunch of strangers I don't know filming themselves going to work and having banal relationships together. I wasn't sure who I was supposed to "root for", who I was supposed to care about, why any of this mattered, or why I should be watching it. So I stopped at the half-way point. Drinking Buddies? More like... Dawdling... Borings... eh, sorry, I'll work on it.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 12, 2014

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I got the week free trial from unblock-us. Gimme some suggestions of cool stuff I can watch that aren't on the UK or US Netflix.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In my opinion, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best anime, and it actually is on Netflix. The original Fullmetal Alchemist is skippable though.

The problem with this is it's missing the last 10-ish episodes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Haggis Heed posted:

I got the week free trial from unblock-us. Gimme some suggestions of cool stuff I can watch that aren't on the UK or US Netflix.

I don't know what's your taste in movies and series, check the Latin-American/Mexican Netflix, you'll always find new stuff there.

I could recommend you Mexican movies, but I think they don't come with English subtitles, you will also find a gently caress ton of telenovelas.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Haggis Heed posted:

Swedish netflix.

Everything.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Recommending everyone check out the SK film on Netflix, including -

The Yellow Sea
Chaser
The Man from Nowhere
I Saw the Devil
New World

There's even more on there but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet, I think SK cinema is currently some of the best in the entire world, always daring, violent, and bizarre.

Anal Surgery posted:

On a lark, I threw on The Last Stand and I'll be damned, it was a fun-rear end action movie. It moves along at a pretty good pace, the characters are all pretty likable (or at least watchable) and the set-pieces are pretty well constructed. I also wasn't prepared for how violent it ended up being. But, y'know... fun violent. It's a solid three star Schwarzenegger standard.

As I counterpoint I thought this movie was pretty bad in all respects, the acting is even worse than typical action fare, the jokes and one-liners fall flat, and the action is generic and not very interesting or exceptional, none of the set-pieces are that interesting. It's thoroughly mediocre I thought, a disappointing return for Arnold.
Also, at first I thought I would enjoy Peter Stormare's awful attempt at a southern accent, but somehow that started getting grating and annoying and I never though I'd say that about Peter Stormare so the movie is even worse for that.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 12, 2014

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Jonny Retro posted:

I just got done watching The American Astronaut though, and I had a blast with it. I went in totally blind, and I'm glad I did because it was a complete shock and loads of fun.

If you haven't already I'd watch Cory McAbee's other streaming movie as well, Stingray Sam. Very similar stylistically, but also different enough to still be an experience all its own. If you loved one, you'll love the other.

Frederick and Edward had a baby named Fredward. :haw:

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013

MrGreenShirt posted:

If you haven't already I'd watch Cory McAbee's other streaming movie as well, Stingray Sam. Very similar stylistically, but also different enough to still be an experience all its own. If you loved one, you'll love the other.

Frederick and Edward had a baby named Fredward. :haw:

Yeah, I definitely want to echo the recommendations for both The American Astronaut and Stingray Sam if anyone hasn't seen them. Cory McAbee is well on his way to becoming one of my favorite filmmakers. I'm really in love with his blend of music and the sort of worn down, absurdist sci-fi aesthetic he's been working with.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The American Astronaut is one of my favorite films of all time, but I was quite surprised when I didn't really care for Stingray Sam.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

JebanyPedal posted:

As I counterpoint I thought this movie was pretty bad in all respects, the acting is even worse than typical action fare, the jokes and one-liners fall flat, and the action is generic and not very interesting or exceptional, none of the set-pieces are that interesting. It's thoroughly mediocre I thought, a disappointing return for Arnold.

I've skipped both it and the A Good Day to Die Hard, but it I really still think each film's plot was the wrong thing for each character/actor.

Putting McClain into the the plot of the Last Stand I think works a bit better with the character. It's a modern cowboy theme that fits with some of things of the first Die Hard. He's wanting a low-tech, low-rise, quiet life as a lawman in a nowhere little town, and ends up being in the middle of a situation that destroys the innocence of his small-town paradise.

A Good Day to Die Hard with a plot set in Russia feels more like it'd be a plot where Arnold could shine. Cast him as guy returning to Russia for the first time in years to solve a family crisis, it could be used to explore the changes in Eastern Europe from the early 90s to now from his perspective, using his connections and getting caught up in something major.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

JebanyPedal posted:

Also, at first I thought I would enjoy Peter Stormare's awful attempt at a southern accent, but somehow that started getting grating and annoying and I never though I'd say that about Peter Stormare so the movie is even worse for that.

:argh: How dare you!

Naw, in all serious, I don't blame anyone for not liking the Last Stand. For me, it just hit that sweet nostalgia spot watching Arnold violently kill bad guys. I don't think it's as good as Commando or Predator or Running Man, but it's certainly better than The 6th Day or that other one or T3. And in response to the above poster, I agree with your fantasy casting in principle, but I have seen both of these films now and Last Stand is superior to Good Day To Die Hard because I think it's just a hair more fun and unserious.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mr. stefan posted:

Swedish netflix.

Everything.

A bad idea if you're after foreign films though, I found out the hard way that they don't offer English subtitles.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

A bad idea if you're after foreign films though, I found out the hard way that they don't offer English subtitles.

Yeah,when you get in non-English Netflix you better just browse movies and series from the US and UK.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

Swedish netflix.

Everything.

No English subtitles and forced not English subtitles on some titles killed it for me ; the catalogue of titles available though is so drat good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any opinions on Rites of Spring? The last independent horror movie I watched (Green River) was god awful.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

ChineseConnection posted:

If you have any interest in Chinese cinema, it looks like they've added a good number of 5th and notably 6th generation films to the catalog. Although nowhere near as good as Blind Shaft, Frozen was a fairly good example of Wang Xiaoshuai's work. More like Italian neorealism with that raw punk tone.

Could you post some more of these on here you'd recommend?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jonny Retro posted:

I tried watching Enter the Void last night. I really wanted to like it, but I ended up turning it off halfway through because I was just bored. I can see how someone would really dig that movie, but it just didn't do it for me.

I really enjoyed the way it flowed (a bit slow maybe) and how the character's lives were shown. Though I tried to watch it a second time and didn't make it far without getting a bit bored.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Top of the Lake took like every category it was in at the Golden Globes. If you were hesitant on watching it, this should help reassure you.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Khorne Flakes posted:

Top of the Lake took like every category it was in at the Golden Globes. If you were hesitant on watching it, this should help reassure you.

Um, they got two nominations, and one win. I think you're overexaggerating just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

Um, they got two nominations, and one win. I think you're overexaggerating just a bit.

Hmm, for some reason I thought I saw more. Hype aside, it is still a good show that most people on here have recommended.

• Locked thread